Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

From the Matt Stafford/Mark Sanchez draft day slide begins file:

Lions | To take J. Smith with first pick?
Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:38:30 -0700 KFFL has learned the Detroit Lions will take Baylor OT Jason Smith with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

This might be a better fit in Draft Central, your call guys.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,608
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Det. looks like they're trying to win some games now and follow what Miami did. They traded for Peterson and now they might draft a LT. If this is true I really don't blame them for passing on Stafford and Sanzhez. Both guys are just not worth the risk at the #1 pick. I guess they're going w/ Culpepper. I'm not quite sure why they don't have Leftwich on the phone but oh well. I guess they know what they're doing. lol.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

That's what I've been hearing too.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,189
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Det. looks like they're trying to win some games now and follow what Miami did. They traded for Peterson and now they might draft a LT. If this is true I really don't blame them for passing on Stafford and Sanzhez. Both guys are just not worth the risk at the #1 pick. I guess they're going w/ Culpepper. I'm not quite sure why they don't have Leftwich on the phone but oh well. I guess they know what they're doing. lol.
Well given their track record, Lions fans sure hope they are. Although I dunno if I would put my season on Culpepper's shoulder. They can probably still pick up Stafford or Sanchez if either one of them is Brady Quinn'ed in the draft.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,498
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Remember they still have another 1st round selection from Dallas and they might select Smith 1st overall and then trade up for a QB or they could be in the Cutler race as well.
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Impact Rookie
 
LMsexyAO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 684
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

I dunno guys, call it a gut feeling, but I'm pretty sure the Lions are going to select Michael Crabtree with the first pick. He would be the PERFECT compliment to Calvin Johnson, unstoppable!
LMsexyAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Good news for the Redskins in this sense: If the Lions decide to go OT at #1 they will probably have to move up in round 1 if they want to land one of the three QBs at the top of the draft. Leaving out Jay Cutler (since I don't think he gets traded) the Lions probably couldn't even count on having Josh Freeman fall to them at #20 since Tampa Bay picks before them at #19. If Sanchez or Stafford falls (or if the two QBs go early and Detroit starts to panic about landing Freeman before the bottom falls out of the QB crop) the Lions might be in the market to move up to #13 (which is the Skins ideal scenario).

Picks #20, #65, and a 5th gets the Lions up to #13 by the chart. That would be a nice trade for Cerrato and Company. There really is not a way for the Skins to get picks #20 and #33 unless they start dealing players or future picks, and I suspect Detroit values that pick at the top of the 2nd too highly to deal it anyway.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #8
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,393
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
Remember they still have another 1st round selection from Dallas and they might select Smith 1st overall and then trade up for a QB or they could be in the Cutler race as well.
If our guys are gone ( The ones we want at #13 ) and Stafford or Sanchez are still there, they may be willing to trade with us.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,795
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

There was some talk a while back that the Lions were going after Freeman with the #20 pick, don't know what the latest is on that.

On a related note, take it for what it's worth but Culpeper is reportedly looking like the Daunte from his prime in Minnesota these days
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
If our guys are gone ( The ones we want at #13 ) and Stafford or Sanchez are still there, they may be willing to trade with us.
What guys would you say you just have to sit there and take at #13 and it would not be worth moving down? I think it becomes a pretty short list if you have a decent offer on the table to move down and pick up extra picks. Even if Oher or Smith is sitting there I think you would drop down and hope that either or both continue to slide or you say you'd be happy to get someone like Eben Britton or Alex Mack down at #20 anyway. Unless a top prospect like Curry takes a tumble I don't see a whole lot of guys who you HAVE to take at #13. Jason Smith, Monroe, Curry, and maybe you find Crabtree too appealing if he drops, but otherwise I don't know why you wouldn't be perfectly willing to slide down the board. Maybe you can throw Everette Brown (who I really like) and Brian Orakpo into that group. It is impossible to predict perfectly what will happen on draft day, but you'd probably bet decent money that none of those guys slips through to #13 anyway.
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #11
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
If our guys are gone ( The ones we want at #13 ) and Stafford or Sanchez are still there, they may be willing to trade with us.
I know it's wishful thinking. But, is Stafford falls to 13 would the Lions trade us the 20th overall and their 2nd or 3rd rounder?
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
The Starter
 
SC Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,555
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
I know it's wishful thinking. But, is Stafford falls to 13 would the Lions trade us the 20th overall and their 2nd or 3rd rounder?
__________________
It has taken a long time, but I have finally realized that nothing I say about the Redskins will have any effect upon anything the Redskins do.
SC Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,393
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Skins Fan View Post
What guys would you say you just have to sit there and take at #13 and it would not be worth moving down? I think it becomes a pretty short list if you have a decent offer on the table to move down and pick up extra picks. Even if Oher or Smith is sitting there I think you would drop down and hope that either or both continue to slide or you say you'd be happy to get someone like Eben Britton or Alex Mack down at #20 anyway. Unless a top prospect like Curry takes a tumble I don't see a whole lot of guys who you HAVE to take at #13. Jason Smith, Monroe, Curry, and maybe you find Crabtree too appealing if he drops, but otherwise I don't know why you wouldn't be perfectly willing to slide down the board. Maybe you can throw Everette Brown (who I really like) and Brian Orakpo into that group. It is impossible to predict perfectly what will happen on draft day, but you'd probably bet decent money that none of those guys slips through to #13 anyway.
I think you just named them. The point is, if they really want one of the QB's and they're still there, they may be willing to trade.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"

Last edited by 53Fan; 03-23-2009 at 12:50 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,393
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
I know it's wishful thinking. But, is Stafford falls to 13 would the Lions trade us the 20th overall and their 2nd or 3rd rounder?
By the value chart it's possible. But who really knows?
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,498
Re: Report: Jason Smith is in Negotiations to be No. 1 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
I know it's wishful thinking. But, is Stafford falls to 13 would the Lions trade us the 20th overall and their 2nd or 3rd rounder?
I would think they would trade up knowing tampa bay isn't far behind always willing to take a QB. But I believe the Rams will take Stafford at #2 if the Lions pass. Bulger getting old need to establish a new culture in STL. I also believe Sanchez will go to #10 to SF leaving the picks #11-16 to actually be tradeable options for Detriot.


*Honorable mention is the Jets they might be interested in a QB as well
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.27842 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25