Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,104
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

I think when you put Patrick Ramsey you should put Spurrier in parenthesis.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
Special Teams
 
John Denny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ocean Pines, MD
Posts: 137
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
A 3 time Pro Bowler a bust?

Things kinda fell apart for him at the end with injuries. I don't know, I have a hard time calling him a bust.
He never lived up to the hype IMO. He missed far too many tackles and jumped off sides at least two times a game. He did however, end Aikman's career so that has got to bump him out of the top-5.
John Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
Playmaker
 
SouperMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 50
Posts: 3,102
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
#1 - Heath Shuler
#2 - Andre Johnson
#3 - Desmond Howard
#4 - Michael Westbrook
#5 - Rod Gardner

honorable mention: Patrick Ramsey

Who's on your list?
Howard, Shuler, and Westbrook were all selected in the top 5 within 4 years. It is nearly impossible to blow three top-5 picks in 4 years (unless you're Detroit). That FO ineptitude haunted this franchise for the remainder of the 90's.
SouperMeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,969
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Denny View Post
He never lived up to the hype IMO. He missed far too many tackles and jumped off sides at least two times a game. He did however, end Aikman's career so that has got to bump him out of the top-5.
He definitely didn't live up to the hype, but a bust doesn't go to multiple Pro Bowls.

I think we need to check the definition of bust before tossing LaVar's name out there.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #20
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,698
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
You folks need to go back to the annals of Redskin drafts to find out about Ray McDonald (University of Idaho)and Gary Beban (UCLA Heisman Trophy winner). Both were first round picks. Great college careers; lots of credentials; great workout numbers. Neither one ever amounted to a pinch of poop in the NFL.

You want busts? These two were the Dolly Parton of busts...
Outstanding job! People talked about Beban coming out of school like he was the second coming of Jesus. For the Redskins he was an utter flop. He was the most bustitudinous of them all.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #21
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,969
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
You folks need to go back to the annals of Redskin drafts to find out about Ray McDonald (University of Idaho)and Gary Beban (UCLA Heisman Trophy winner). Both were first round picks. Great college careers; lots of credentials; great workout numbers. Neither one ever amounted to a pinch of poop in the NFL.

You want busts? These two were the Dolly Parton of busts...
I'll have to take your word on those guys, way before my time
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
Playmaker
 
skins89moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,135
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

[QUOTE=SouperMeister;548995]Howard, Shuler, and Westbrook were all selected in the top 5 within 4 years. It is nearly impossible to blow three top-5 picks in 4 years (unless you're Detroit). That FO ineptitude haunted this franchise for the remainder of the 90's.[/QUOTE
Oh yea this is right on the money. This is the reason we have not sniffed a Super Bowl since 1991. Are drafts picks at the top have not panned out. They save you live and die by the drafts. So of course we now try to buy our way to the Super Bowl with free agenecy spending. How has this practice worked?
__________________
www.islandstyleflowers.com Home of the Hawaiian Foam FlowersRedskins Fan Since 1972
skins89moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #23
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,362
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

What do you guys classify as a bust?
Is a player a bust because he cannot fulfill the expectations or is the "Draft Pick" a bust because the GM/Owner/Coach drafted the wrong guy?

Heath Shuler is a classic bust in my book. Over hyped talent who just did not have the ability to play in the NFL. The NFL missed on this guy.



I don't want to call Westbrook a bust because when he was healthy, he could play. There is no way of knowing he was going to be so fragile. Can you classify a guy as a bust if injuries shortened his career? If you say yes, Would you classify Robert Edwards( Patriots rookie RB who tore up his knee at the probowl challenge) as a bust?

I don't think Howard is a bust. He is what he is. He is great with the ball in his hands in the open field. The Redskins did not do their homework and made the assumption he could get away from press coverage. He is a very good return man. He had the type of career any of us would love to have. It's the Redskins fault they fell in love with him.



My list:
Shuler
Andre Johnson
Bobby Wilson
Patrick Ramsey
Taylor Jacobs ( we passed up on Anquan Boldin for this loser...)
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #24
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,669
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
He definitely didn't live up to the hype, but a bust doesn't go to multiple Pro Bowls.

I think we need to check the definition of bust before tossing LaVar's name out there.
*cough* Michael Vick *cough*
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #25
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,104
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
What do you guys classify as a bust?
Is a player a bust because he cannot fulfill the expectations or is the "Draft Pick" a bust because the GM/Owner/Coach drafted the wrong guy?

Heath Shuler is a classic bust in my book. Over hyped talent who just did not have the ability to play in the NFL. The NFL missed on this guy.

I don't want to call Westbrook a bust because when he was healthy, he could play. There is no way of knowing he was going to be so fragile. Can you classify a guy as a bust if injuries shortened his career? If you say yes, Would you classify Robert Edwards( Patriots rookie RB who tore up his knee at the probowl challenge) as a bust?

I don't think Howard is a bust. He is what he is. He is great with the ball in his hands in the open field. The Redskins did not do their homework and made the assumption he could get away from press coverage. He is a very good return man. He had the type of career any of us would love to have. It's the Redskins fault they fell in love with him.

My list:
Shuler
Andre Johnson
Bobby Wilson
Patrick Ramsey
Taylor Jacobs ( we passed up on Anquan Boldin for this loser...)
Ouch!
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #26
Playmaker
 
70Chip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manassas
Age: 43
Posts: 3,048
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It's interesting how few times (3 I think) we even had a first round pick during the Beathard years.
The great Beathard bust that comes to mind is Walter Murray. Also Bob Slater. But Beathard had the amazing knack for finding solid NFL career guys in the bottom of the draft (which was of course 12 rounds then) and in rookie FA. For example:

1979
Round 11: Monte Coleman
Round 7: Rich Milot
Round 4: Don Warren

1981
Round 12: Clint Didier
Round 9: Darryl Grant
Round 8: Charlie Brown
Round 6: Karry Kubin
Round 5: Dexter Manley

1982
Round 9: Ken Coffey

1983
Round 7: Kelvin Bryant

1984
Round 10: Keith Griffin

1985
Round 12: Dean Hamel
Round 11: Raleigh Meckenzie
Round 10: Terry Orr
Round 8: Barry Wilburn

1986
Round 8: Kurt Gouveia
Round 6 Mark Rypien

These are just players who contributed fairly significantly. More made the rosters of the Redskins or other teams for multiple seasons but are not names that jump out at you.

Also if you look at Beathards drafts from 79 to 82 and then you add in a few huge stars that had been added during the George Allen days (Theismann, Riggins, Moseley, Butz) and you realize how three or four consecutive solid drafts build a team. They don't have to have superstars but their relative strength from the top to the bottom will determine to a large extent how good your team will be.
__________________
This Monkey's Gone to Heaven

Last edited by 70Chip; 04-24-2009 at 12:37 AM.
70Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #27
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Top 5 Redskins Draft Busts

Players who go to pro bowl(s) can definitely still bust. However, Lavar was a legitimately great linebacker before injuries and a general non-willingness to put in the work to return from them killed his career.

He certainly wasn't destined for greatness, but he had talent and played with good football sense.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.25765 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25