Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #616
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,793
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
After Caldwell got taken before we picked in the third, it really didn't make much sense to take a flyer on a lineman. If we had identified a hole, the proper move would have been to aggressively try to move up from the third round for a guy like William Beatty at the back end of round two.

Once the opportunity passed, it would have been bad to hopelessly chase an offensive linemen. We could have taken Oher or Mack, but since we didn't, the proper move is to re-focus on the development of the young talent we already have on our line (plus a priority UDFA).
You're making too much sense.

It's more fun to just rip on the FO.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #617
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,630
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

If we just get Mike Williams to beef up a little, he can play the entire OL by himself.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #618
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Harris may be one of those guys who gets better just by leaving Oakland. Plus we would have him primarily at RT, which is less demanding than the LT that he played in Oakland.

As for Williams, see his updated thread. The dude currently weighs 410 pounds!
Like Stuart Schweigert?
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #619
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I guess it's a sign they are comfortable with the current group.
Just like every other year.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #620
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,716
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Joe Bugel is shaking his head and I am too.

Hey Trample,

Honestly, I think the draft filled 2 of the 3 need areas. I know we still gotta get the OL right, but remember for the first half of the year they held their own. we get better depth from FA, including Dockery, and we should be ok. I think everyone is counting on the offense to come together somewhat this year. I am sure Buges is getting his input heard.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #621
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,716
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

2 more till our draft is finished. Quick thoughts on what position we take?
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #622
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I am calling it now PICK 243 - HOF BOOKEND RT - 12 YEAR STARTER



haha, yeah there was really no need past the 3rd round for people to get worked up about it
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #623
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
2 more till our draft is finished. Quick thoughts on what position we take?
something random, not like we're drafting for need

we're next
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #624
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Do you think we'll draft Rashad Jennings next?
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #625
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,716
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

WR Marko Mitchell
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #626
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

National Football League: NFL Draft 2009 - Marko Mitchell

Overview
The Mesa (Ariz.) Community College transfer has developed into one of the country's most feared big-play threats. He's had similar production in his first two years, leading the Wolfpack in receptions (53 in 2007, 61 in 2008), receiving yards (1,129, 1,141) and receiving touchdowns (eight, ten). He ranked second in the nation averaging 21.3 yards per catch as a junior, but finally made first team All-WAC this season. Those outstanding numbers are boosted by Nevada's unique "pistol" offense, but his rare combination of height and straight-line speed makes him a difficult matchup for any cornerback. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 1/4 inches at the combine.

Junior College
Earned first-team all-conference and all-district honors at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College...Had 34 catches for 719 yards and eight touchdowns...Averaged 21.1 yards per catch.

High School
Was also a standout basketball player.

Analysis
Positives: Rare height and arm length for the position. Good straight-line speed to challenge deep. Can track the ball over either shoulder and shows good body control and field awareness to keep his feet in bounds. Soft hands to pluck the ball out of the air and can make the reception outside of his frame. Alert receiver who will work his way back when the quarterback is under pressure. Good leaping ability. Shows a bit of vision and elusiveness as a runner after the catch and has the long strides to pull away from smaller defenders. Uses his size and length to effectively run block against small corners.

Negatives: Much of his production is due to this offense. Good, not great, straight-line speed. Will be caught from behind by NFL corners. Long-strider who has to build up to it. Lacks the short burst quickness to consistently gain separation against elite cover corners. Sinewy frame that may not withstand NFL punishment. Ball security may be an issue considering his lack of upper body strength. Isn't the dominant red-zone target his size indicates, due to marginal toughness and physicality in going up for the ball in traffic. Allows too many passes to get into his pads, resulting in some drops.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #627
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,716
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

That was the quickest pick possible!!!!
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #628
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I guess it's a sign they are comfortable with the current group.
The current group (Dockery aside), was pretty miserable down the stretch. I know we had injuries, and those guys will be healthy, but they're still 30+ coming off surgeries. Don't get me wrong, I hope they're correct. But the organization openly said RT is a need.

As far as Tripp's assessment of "hopelessly chasing" an O-lineman... well, taking the best tackle available in the 3rd or 5th wouldn't be "hopelessly chasing." Unless we didn't have anyone graded within 20 or 30 slots of where our pick(s) where slotted, I think we goofed.

And taking that OLB from Nebraska was flat stupid IMO. The kid has only played LB in 9 games EVER! He came to school as a RB and played 3 years at that position until injuries forced a position change. Then he got suspended for ticket scalping. Plus he plays weakside. Stupid.

And now a WR??
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #629
Registered User
 
GusFrerotte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Detroit area
Posts: 4,153
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
National Football League: NFL Draft 2009 - Marko Mitchell

Overview
The Mesa (Ariz.) Community College transfer has developed into one of the country's most feared big-play threats. He's had similar production in his first two years, leading the Wolfpack in receptions (53 in 2007, 61 in 2008), receiving yards (1,129, 1,141) and receiving touchdowns (eight, ten). He ranked second in the nation averaging 21.3 yards per catch as a junior, but finally made first team All-WAC this season. Those outstanding numbers are boosted by Nevada's unique "pistol" offense, but his rare combination of height and straight-line speed makes him a difficult matchup for any cornerback. Had an arm span of 34 1/2 inches and a hand span of 10 1/4 inches at the combine.

Junior College
Earned first-team all-conference and all-district honors at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College...Had 34 catches for 719 yards and eight touchdowns...Averaged 21.1 yards per catch.

High School
Was also a standout basketball player.

Analysis
Positives: Rare height and arm length for the position. Good straight-line speed to challenge deep. Can track the ball over either shoulder and shows good body control and field awareness to keep his feet in bounds. Soft hands to pluck the ball out of the air and can make the reception outside of his frame. Alert receiver who will work his way back when the quarterback is under pressure. Good leaping ability. Shows a bit of vision and elusiveness as a runner after the catch and has the long strides to pull away from smaller defenders. Uses his size and length to effectively run block against small corners.

Negatives: Much of his production is due to this offense. Good, not great, straight-line speed. Will be caught from behind by NFL corners. Long-strider who has to build up to it. Lacks the short burst quickness to consistently gain separation against elite cover corners. Sinewy frame that may not withstand NFL punishment. Ball security may be an issue considering his lack of upper body strength. Isn't the dominant red-zone target his size indicates, due to marginal toughness and physicality in going up for the ball in traffic. Allows too many passes to get into his pads, resulting in some drops.

Hey this kid doesn't seem all that bad. He is tall and pretty quick with a good vl to boot. I think the other 2 young WRs might have some competition!!!!!
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #630
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: 2009 NFL Draft Chat/Discussion

I'm actually liking the pick. Big relatively fast guy that most importantly was actually productive. On top of that NO DURABILITY ISSUES. This is Colt's #1 reciever for the preseason.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.50586 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25