Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Reasons for drafting Sanchez

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #181
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

We will find out this weekend how good of a QB Sanchez is. The Jets will probably have to throw the ball to keep up with Peyton Manning. 93 yards passing won't cut it in the AFC Championship vs. the Colts.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #182
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,808
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
We will find out this weekend how good of a QB Sanchez is. The Jets will probably have to throw the ball to keep up with Peyton Manning. 93 yards passing won't cut it in the AFC Championship vs. the Colts.
The Colts aren't going to have an easy time against the Jets D. And if I'm the Colts D I'm not looking forward to stopping the Jets running game.

The Jets have gotten this far with a simple formula, I think they'll lose but they definitely have a good shot.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #183
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,022
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
We weren't debating the veracity of a mock draft. We were debating who the sportswriters thought the Redskins would draft. Also, Mock Drafts are generally correct on the first 3 picks. After that, it's gets tougher to predict who'll draft whom.
We draft #4 though...honestly it all will depend on what St. Louis does. If they go QB, the Lions will take Suh in a heartbeat. Based on Tampa's pick, we could very well have our pick between Bradford and Okung.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #184
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,632
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

There also is a free agency period before we even get to the draft. If we sign a particular QB, for example only, we might be far less likely to go QB at #4. Same argument for left tackle, etc. Mock drafts offer soft guidance at best.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #185
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,190
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Mock drafts are pretty worthless. I'm always amazed how some get so caught up in them.
truer words have never been said
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #186
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,190
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
We draft #4 though...honestly it all will depend on what St. Louis does. If they go QB, the Lions will take Suh in a heartbeat. Based on Tampa's pick, we could very well have our pick between Bradford and Okung.
i noticed you didn't have berry there, and depending on the combine he might be one of thoose guys you can't pass up
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #187
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,022
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmdub130 View Post
i noticed you didn't have berry there, and depending on the combine he might be one of thoose guys you can't pass up
Well I was thinking (more like hoping) that Tampa Bay would be enticed to take Berry at #3. As I mentioned before, if this is the case then the picks would be #1. A QB for the Rams (Clausen or Bradford), #2. Suh to the Lions, #3. Berry to the Bucs, and we would get our pick of best tackle (Okung) or second best QB.

In this case, if Okung is horrible for some reason, with Bradford there I could see a QB-starved team (i.e. Bills, Seahawks) wanting to make a move to #4.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #188
The Starter
 
dgack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The ATX (formerly Balmer)
Posts: 1,125
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
One more thing I'd like to add. Living in the Bay-Area, naturally I listen to local sports radio stations daily. And the myriad of excuses that JC's fans make for him, are the same excuses being made for Alex Smith. It's everyone else's fault that the team isn't winning but his. They blame the offensive line, even though Sean Hill played behind the same offensive line, the only difference his, he's 7-0 at home, has an overall winning record, while Alex Smith is deplorable at home, and has a losing record. I can't wait to hear everyones excuses for JC next year, once O-line isn't an issue. He's still going to play to conservative, unable to read defenses, and will fail to lead us to one playoff victory.
First of all, it's Shaun Hill. Secondly, I haven't heard a single person on this site who realistically thinks that Campbell is the future of the franchise or a Manning-esque player who is going to lead the team to greatness. How many times does it need to be said? The guy is serviceable and games *and yes, even championships* can be won with a guy like that in there if you get your priorities straight in all the other areas.

I love when guys come out of the woodwork to create these straw man JC boosters who don't exist. Most of us who aren't calling for the guy's head on a pike merely think he's tough, mobile, has good character, and is accurate enough to get the job done playing Redskins football. That is, if we get back to what that means and get a decent O-Line and running game going again.

But hey, don't let that get in the way of an opportunity to drop an advance "told you so" in here.
__________________
"To bring a Sherm Lewis in to a Jim Zorn and whoever his offensive coordinator is, it's like bringing in another man to help teach you how to make better love to your wife or something." -- Tre Johnson
dgack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #189
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

As a rookie, Sanchez is a better leader/player than jason is after 5 seasons. Period!
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #190
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,022
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
As a rookie, Sanchez is a better leader/player than jason is after 5 seasons. Period!
I'm sorry but making these generic base-less (sp?) statements are getting really old. Sanchez in this Jets team is a better player than a lot of other QBs. I'd like to see what Sanchez would have done with our terrible offensive line and spotty running game. Very few QBs would be successful in the mess of a team that we had this past year.

Sanchez should consider himself lucky not to have been drafted by Washington and turning into another Patrick Ramsey. Instead, he will develop into a very good (if not great) QB in a team that had already built an outstanding offensive line, a great running game, and an elite defense.

I hope that the success of this Jets team has taught our owner (and a few simple-minded fans) the importance of building up a team in the trenches, before bringing in a young talented QB.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM   #191
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
I agree that offensive lines are vitally important. However, did the Saints or the Colts build up their offensive lines before they brought in Drew Bree's or Peyton? Did the Pittsburgh Steelers build up their Offensive line prior to drafting Ben? Lastly, the Patriots have only drafted one o-lineman in the first round since year 2000. Granted, they did draft 2 o-lineman in the second rounds, but I'm just having a hard time finding any historical evidence to support your theory of building a line before filling the most important position on the field, QB.
Were any of their lines as bad as ours before they got their QB?
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #192
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,721
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
I agree that offensive lines are vitally important. However, did the Saints or the Colts build up their offensive lines before they brought in Drew Bree's or Peyton? Did the Pittsburgh Steelers build up their Offensive line prior to drafting Ben? Lastly, the Patriots have only drafted one o-lineman in the first round since year 2000. Granted, they did draft 2 o-lineman in the second rounds, but I'm just having a hard time finding any historical evidence to support your theory of building a line before filling the most important position on the field, QB.
I think there is a lot of evidence to support the proposition: A rookie qb behind an ineffective line will lead to the demise of that rookie qb.

I know that is not the argument you made, but lets be honest, if we don't strengthen and deepen our OL ability, that is the proposition we are talking about.

fact 1: QB's that are not P. Manning are not guaranteed to be franchise qb's. And any rookie qb can get shell shocked by the speed of the game, even behind a good oline.

fact 2: We do not have a good oline. Remember we played 5 0fer teams in a row(not counting the Giants who hadn't played a game) and still had a high sack count. JC rushed more than any other qb in our division, and we still had a high sack count.

fact 3: In recent years, teams with Rookie qbs and solid lines have done far better than qbs with rookie qbs and weak lines. Prime example is NYJ/Sanchez, and Balt/Flacco. Neither of those qbs had stellar stats, yet both grew into their position behind very good olines, compared to Det/Stafford.

So the question is do we need to have the Shanahan Hogs in place before we get a franchise qb?

My answer would be no, but you need to have them in place before the qb takes a seasons worth of snaps.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #193
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
As a rookie, Sanchez is a better leader/player than jason is after 5 seasons. Period!
That's just idiotic. Sanchez had little if no effect on the Jets' success this season, they're starting 4 first-round picks on the O-line, had the #1 defense in the NFL and one of the best running games also.

All Sanchez had to do was hand off the ball without dropping it.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #194
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 777
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisto2010 View Post
Come on, you have to give the guy some credit. He played well enough for the Jets to win yesterday. He gave the overrated Jets D an 11 point lead. He made a lot of clutch 3rd down conversions. He also threaded a few beauties on the sideline to Cotchery. A 139, and a 93 passer rating for your first 2 playoff games are far above average.
I don't think anyone is saying he's not good, but let's really look at the game of football as what it is: a TEAM game. This year they played great defense, great run attack, and Sanchez picked his spots to do well. He did very well yesterday, but he isn't ready to put a team on his back and carry him, which he shouldn't have to do all the time with a great team.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:07 PM   #195
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Reasons for drafting Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
That's just idiotic. Sanchez had little if no effect on the Jets' success this season, they're starting 4 first-round picks on the O-line, had the #1 defense in the NFL and one of the best running games also.

All Sanchez had to do was hand off the ball without dropping it.
early on in the season, yes. but as the season went on, sanchez got better and better. sanchez also made several GREAT plays against the colts sunday and really impressed me. he's nowhere near being an elite QB yet, but he has all the makings of becoming one. I fully expect him to be one of the top 3 QBs in the league within 3-5 years. He certainly looked better than any of the other QBs in last years draft and this upcoming one. Not really relevant to the Redskins though.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37276 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25