Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Grade the pick: Brian Orakpo
A 206 79.54%
B 45 17.37%
C 5 1.93%
D 3 1.16%
F 0 0%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #136
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,485
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
His news conference is on right now
ESPN Radio - SuperStream Player
Best quote from the end of the presser
"Its ironic, I was never a Dallas fan. I am from Houston and we feud."

Tony Romo, meet Brian Orakpo!
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #137
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goat View Post
GT how do you project Rak as a SLB on 1st and 2nd down? Will he be able to cover and make plays in space as we require of our LB corp?

Edit: Also, how far is he from being a solid LDE...i mean both talent wise and bulk?
Most teams treat LE as a different animal than RE, so as our future pass rushing stud, I think it would be a mistake to work him anywhere but RE as a rookie. I think he should split time with Carter, and I'd like to see him rush the passer from a standing position on third down.

I think he could handle all the responsibilities of a linebacker in this defense. I wouldn't play him there though, at least at the beginning of the year. If we're going to be blitz happy, we might as well, but again, I'd rather have Blades on the field than Orakpo. Ultimately, defensive lineman have a high bust rate because teams tend to mishandle them, so I think the critical thing is that we develop him properly, and don't be shortsighted with him.

The last time a Blache defense had the 13th overall pick, they drafted some DE named Michael Haynes. Just sayin'. Orakpo is a much more dynamic player, but he's not a sure thing if mismanaged.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #138
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,110
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

I think in the preseason we'll see him lined up all over to get a feel for what he can do. I know some people are already dead set against him playing some LB, but if he can handle it why not?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #139
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Best quote from the end of the presser
"Its ironic, I was never a Dallas fan. I am from Houston and we feud."

Tony Romo, meet Brian Orakpo!
Looking forward to the introduction!
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #140
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,507
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Most teams treat LE as a different animal than RE, so as our future pass rushing stud, I think it would be a mistake to work him anywhere but RE as a rookie. I think he should split time with Carter, and I'd like to see him rush the passer from a standing position on third down.

I think he could handle all the responsibilities of a linebacker in this defense. I wouldn't play him there though, at least at the beginning of the year. If we're going to be blitz happy, we might as well, but again, I'd rather have Blades on the field than Orakpo. Ultimately, defensive lineman have a high bust rate because teams tend to mishandle them, so I think the critical thing is that we develop him properly, and don't be shortsighted with him.

The last time a Blache defense had the 13th overall pick, they drafted some DE named Michael Haynes. Just sayin'. Orakpo is a much more dynamic player, but he's not a sure thing if mismanaged.
While I understand what you are saying, the Giants had no problem having Strahan on one side and Osi on the other. It is possible to have two pass-rushing DE's on the field at the same time.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:41 PM   #141
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,626
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggDayAfternoon View Post
After watching the guy on first and ten today my grade on him went to an A+
Video: Orakpo excited to be a pro - NFC East - ESPN
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM   #142
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,008
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

I listen to this guy and I listened to his introduction presser yesterday at the park. Is he not the most respectful, classiest kid you ever heard or what? I CANNOT wait to see him on the field!!!!!!
HTTR
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
ďItís all the political correct idiots in America, thatís all it is. Itís got nothing to do with anything else.
-Mike Ditka
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #143
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,507
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I listen to this guy and I listened to his introduction presser yesterday at the park. Is he not the most respectful, classiest kid you ever heard or what? I CANNOT wait to see him on the field!!!!!!
HTTR
Yeah, no kidding. He knew all about our defense whereas Percy Harvin didn't even know the name of Minnesota's QB. Quite a contrast.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #144
Camp Scrub
 
cobracai1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 84
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
I listen to this guy and I listened to his introduction presser yesterday at the park. Is he not the most respectful, classiest kid you ever heard or what? I CANNOT wait to see him on the field!!!!!!
HTTR
People can say what they want about the FO and the talent level of this team but after listening to Campbell after all he has gone through and now hearing Orakpo, I am proud to have these guys representing our franchise. And I'm not even including London, Chris Samuels, Andre Carter, and the list keeps going. It is a class group.
cobracai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #145
Impact Rookie
 
WillH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 788
Re: Meet the Beast: Brian Orakpo

You know, in a lot of ways I feel Orakpo and Carter are alike . . . early first round draft picks, speed rushers with strength, physical specimen, possibly lining him up at OLB, etc.

I don't mean to draw the comparison to imply that they should just keep him at end or anything.

I just think it's awesome, I think with Orakpo and Haynesworth, Carter is going to have a great year. I can just see Carter getting pumped up by Orakpo's presence especially, both on the field and in the weightroom. I think it coud make for some very constructive friendly competition, and that the unit is going to be playing inspired this season, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the younger DT's improves enough with this talent around that they oust Griffin by the end of he season.

I am extremely excited about finally having a solid DL . . . and with Barnes rounding out the secondary, this D is not only sick as hell, but it has some talented depth.

HTTR
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.22704 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25