Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Grade the Redskins Draft!

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Grade the Redskins Draft
A 12 4.65%
B 114 44.19%
C 99 38.37%
D 23 8.91%
E 3 1.16%
F 7 2.71%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #76
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Well Williams was drafted in 2002, but as far as FA pickups, not a bad prospect, but I'm not sure how he raises the grade any.
I think he's talking about Edwin Williams, the C from Maryland we just signed. UDFA=Undrafted....
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #77
The Starter
 
T.O.Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Berlin, MD
Posts: 2,030
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Here is my draft. Three players I would have picked never got drafted.
1. Brian Orakpo DE 1st
2. Duke Robinson G,C 3rd
3. Gerald Cadigan RT, G 5th
4. Brad Jones OLB 6th
5. Anthony Appleby OLB 7th
6. Joe Bell RT 7th
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #78
Special Teams
 
Hamoskinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Samoa
Posts: 180
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

C. Day 1 was an A. The Sanchez ruse worked like clockwork, I, along with the Jets, fell for it and I am thankful we got Orakpo (and my gratitude to the Raiders and Bills for taking Heyward-bey and Maybin respectively). Now DB Barnes, FB Williams sounds nice but the rest look boring. Plenty of good o-line prospects and we get these 50/50 guys. I partly blame Buges for not taking Duke, Meredith or Shipley. He is too attached to his vets that he doesn't want them replaced yet. I hope he can get Rhinehart, Heyer ready when Jansen, Thomas and Samuels starts to wear down during the season.

I hope we are looking to land an OT or any o-line FA instead of depending of discards like Mike Williams and Robert Thomas to be our starters.
__________________
"If you don't wear a jock strap, you're going to be in trouble."

Bugel
Hamoskinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #79
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,923
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

B, I love the Orapko pick and Barnes can fill an immediate need for a #3 CB. I'm not going to kill the FO for not picking up any OL, especially in a draft with not much talent after the "elite" tackles, which Kiper or Mayock (I was going back and forth so I'm not sure) said would be at best 7th or 8th best last year. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Robinson in the 5th but the fact he was still around in the 5th speaks volumes.

I'm trusting that Heyer, Rinehart and Clark are going to make noticeable strides to answer the need to 'upgrade' the OL more than a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick would do.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #80
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,788
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I think he's talking about Edwin Williams, the C from Maryland we just signed. UDFA=Undrafted....
exactly
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #81
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,184
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
B, I love the Orapko pick and Barnes can fill an immediate need for a #3 CB. I'm not going to kill the FO for not picking up any OL, especially in a draft with not much talent after the "elite" tackles, which Kiper or Mayock (I was going back and forth so I'm not sure) said would be at best 7th or 8th best last year. I was a little surprised we didn't go after Robinson in the 5th but the fact he was still around in the 5th speaks volumes.

I'm trusting that Heyer, Rinehart and Clark are going to make noticeable strides to answer the need to 'upgrade' the OL more than a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick would do.
Excellent point, I think I will copy and past this quote for every person that rants about not getting offensive line help in this draft. As I said before, only a lineman taken at #13 would have significantly help our offensive line, with players taken in the later rounds, you have to wait at least a year to have them contribute significantly. Besides, it's time for these players to step it up, I mean we pound the FO a lot, but let's for once put the pressure on the players to step up and play.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:26 AM   #82
The Starter
 
GridIron26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,596
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

I think we would have to wait until next year or so - it's hard to tell if some of our picks would pan out or not.. I'm kind of liking the Barnes pick.. If he blossoms, our defense would be much pretty great, if not the best.. Once again of course, there are other questions marks such as if Haynesworth and Hall will walk the talk..

Henson could be a good pick, as well.. From what I have seen, he looks good - I hope the D coordinators would be able to develop him.. I'm not sure about Cody, I guess the scouts see something in him that we don't know about.. Williams and Mitchell also could be good pick, that is if they develop.. The Mitchell pick intrigues me; we already have top 4 WRs excluding Thrash.. I would be sad to see Thrash go, although it may be time but he's a true Redskins (Gibbs's style).. But if Mitchell develops well, we would have pretty good WRs group for years to come..
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #83
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,762
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Here is my draft. Three players I would have picked never got drafted.
1. Brian Orakpo DE 1st
2. Duke Robinson G,C 3rd
3. Gerald Cadigan RT, G 5th
4. Brad Jones OLB 6th
5. Anthony Appleby OLB 7th
6. Joe Bell RT 7th
I liked him, too, but 32 NFL GM's with better information than mine did not.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #84
Special Teams
 
Miller101's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 362
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

I liked this draft. We got Orakpo and we didn't have to trade up to get him! Some said he was the best defensive end in the draft and we get him at 13! Did you all see how fast we made that pick? Goodell walks off and then walks right back onto the stage and announces it! I don't think I've seen a pick made that quick!

I like how we got two linebackers. We really have no depth there and our front office has been good the last couple of years when they pick in the later rounds..................like with Golston, Montgomery, Horton and Moore. So I can't help but think these guys will be good too.

But the thing that I liked about this draft the most is that Sanchez went to our farm league team!!!! That smokescreen that the Redskins laid down. The way that they played it. That was great! I mean Cleveland might have taken Orakpo if the Jets don't call them! And that would have sucked! But Cleveland passes up on him and the Jets get our quarterback of the future if Jason doesn't pan out. Man, that was great!

But, one thing I don't understand is why we picked up a tight end and a wide reciever....................when we needed Olineman. Maybe Vinny saw that all of the olineman that were available just sucked? Or maybe he had a plan with the undrafed free agents. He was able to find Stephon Heyer that way. Hopefully, he's a got a center in mind that can be the next "Stephon Heyer" for us. But, I don't get it and thats why I'm giving this draft a 'B'.
__________________
"And the Redskins went down there and manhandled them and they basically undressed them and now everybody's been lining up to get a piece of them." - John Riggins on the last game we played in Texas Stadium
Miller101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #85
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,305
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller101 View Post
I liked this draft. We got Orakpo and we didn't have to trade up to get him! Some said he was the best defensive end in the draft and we get him at 13! Did you all see how fast we made that pick? Goodell walks off and then walks right back onto the stage and announces it! I don't think I've seen a pick made that quick!

I like how we got two linebackers. We really have no depth there and our front office has been good the last couple of years when they pick in the later rounds..................like with Golston, Montgomery, Horton and Moore. So I can't help but think these guys will be good too.

But the thing that I liked about this draft the most is that Sanchez went to our farm league team!!!! That smokescreen that the Redskins laid down. The way that they played it. That was great! I mean Cleveland might have taken Orakpo if the Jets don't call them! And that would have sucked! But Cleveland passes up on him and the Jets get our quarterback of the future if Jason doesn't pan out. Man, that was great!

But, one thing I don't understand is why we picked up a tight end and a wide reciever....................when we needed Olineman. Maybe Vinny saw that all of the olineman that were available just sucked? Or maybe he had a plan with the undrafed free agents. He was able to find Stephon Heyer that way. Hopefully, he's a got a center in mind that can be the next "Stephon Heyer" for us. But, I don't get it and thats why I'm giving this draft a 'B'.
Williams is going to play fullback.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #86
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,393
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

I think it was a pretty good draft though it's to soon to tell for sure. Orakpo has the potential to add sacks and that is exactly what we needed. Barnes has great skills and could end up a starter. Even if he doesn't, I think he will contribute a lot. I really like this pick. Glenn can run and has been described as violent, Gotta like that in a LB. Also has a good motor and should help on ST's. We got an eventual replacement for Sellers. The receiver has good size and could be a real find after hitting the weight room. Don't really know much about the other LB but they obviously saw something they like. This draft class could be better than we're giving it credit for. For now, I'd give it a B.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #87
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,166
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #88
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

As much as I would like to, I cant give this draft anything higher than a D. Not because I think we made bad selections, but because of the implications of those picks: Snyder is setting Zorn up to fail.

We had the #4 defense last year, an anemic offense, and we did nothing to upgrade our offense until 7th round. Even then, we did nothing to upgrade our offensive line. The minute we failed to land Sanchez, our focus should have been upgrading our offensive line either to protect Campbell in 2009 and the rookie quarterback we select in the first round in 2010 Make no mistake, by spending our first 4 picks on defensive players, Snyder sent Zorn a clear message: Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.

So, for that reason, I give the draft a D because it means were starting over again in 2010. Some thoughts about the picks:

1. Brian Orakpo DE, Texas
He was the best player on the board at 13 and fills a dire need. Next to Haynesworth, he could have double-digit sacks in his first season. The Skins would be stupid to have Orakpo play LB on 1st and 2nd downs and move inside on 3rd as the Redskins told Orkapo they would do prior to the draft. To my knowledge, scouts unanimously say he is purely a pass rusher and sucks in coverage. Now he has a great work ethic so perhaps over time he could learn to fill such a role, but certainly not in his rookie season. If were smart, well line him up at LDE and keep him there all season. Orakpo also has some versatility and could be used in a 3-4 defense, in case we somehow land Cowher in 2010. While I think Orakpo was a nice pick, several teams called wanting to move up to 13, and we could have easily dropped down some, picked up additional picks, and came away from the draft with several players with starting potential.

3. Kevin Barnes CB, Maryland
If he hadnt gotten injured last year, he very well could have been drafted in the first half of the 2nd round, at the latest. Evidently hes completely healed from his injury and I really, really like this pick probably my favorite of the whole draft. I think hes our #4 corner on opening day, #3 corner by the end of the season, and he gives us leverage in negotiating with Carlos in the offseason.

5. Cody Glenn LB, Nebraska
I like this pick more than some of you. Glenn is a special teams beast and Im confident hell make the team. You cant really ask for much more in the 5th round.

6. Robert Henson LB, TCU
Wasted pick. Id be surprised if he makes the practice squad. I would have much rather seen us take a center or guard here.

7. Eddie Williams FB, Idaho
The only reason I think we signed him is to have some leverage in negotiating with Sellars, whos decided he doesnt like the contract he signed two years ago. Hes struggled with injuries and wont be able to participate in camp, so I dont think he gives the skins any leverage at all. Wasted pick.

7. Marko Mitchell WR,Nevada
The dudes very fast and I like the pick. Obviously, his chances of making the roster are slim, but given Thrashs days are numbered and Kelly may never be healthy, hes got a better shot than do most 7th rounders.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #89
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 82,305
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

The upgrades to the offense came last year. It's up to Zorn and company to get those guys up to speed to contribute this year. And of course the continued development of Campbell.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #90
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
As much as I would like to, I cant give this draft anything higher than a D. Not because I think we made bad selections, but because of the implications of those picks: Snyder is setting Zorn up to fail.

We had the #4 defense last year, an anemic offense, and we did nothing to upgrade our offense until 7th round. Even then, we did nothing to upgrade our offensive line. The minute we failed to land Sanchez, our focus should have been upgrading our offensive line either to protect Campbell in 2009 and the rookie quarterback we select in the first round in 2010 Make no mistake, by spending our first 4 picks on defensive players, Snyder sent Zorn a clear message: Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.
Yes, I'm sure that's Danny's exact plan moving forward. Let's intentionally tank an entire draft for the sole purpose of running the coach and QB out of town. Please. That's ludicrous. And since when did Snyder care if the fans are on his side or not?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.37196 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25