Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Grade the Redskins Draft!

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Grade the Redskins Draft
A 12 4.65%
B 114 44.19%
C 99 38.37%
D 23 8.91%
E 3 1.16%
F 7 2.71%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #91
Pro Bowl
 
Giantone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,237
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Giantone is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #92
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

As much as I would like to, I cant give this draft anything higher than a D. Not because I think we made bad selections, but because of the implications of those picks: Snyder is setting Zorn up to fail.

We had the #4 defense last year, an anemic offense, and we did nothing to upgrade our offense until 7th round. Even then, we did nothing to upgrade our offensive line. The minute we failed to land Sanchez, our focus should have been upgrading our offensive line either to protect Campbell in 2009 and the rookie quarterback we select in the first round in 2010 Make no mistake, by spending our first 4 picks on defensive players, Snyder sent Zorn a clear message: Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.

So, for that reason, I give the draft a D because it means were starting over again in 2010. Some thoughts about the picks:

1. Brian Orakpo DE, Texas
He was the best player on the board at 13 and fills a dire need. Next to Haynesworth, he could have double-digit sacks in his first season. The Skins would be stupid to have Orakpo play LB on 1st and 2nd downs and move inside on 3rd as the Redskins told Orkapo they would do prior to the draft. To my knowledge, scouts unanimously say he is purely a pass rusher and sucks in coverage. Now he has a great work ethic so perhaps over time he could learn to fill such a role, but certainly not in his rookie season. If were smart, well line him up at LDE and keep him there all season. Orakpo also has some versatility and could be used in a 3-4 defense, in case we somehow land Cowher in 2010. While I think Orakpo was a nice pick, several teams called wanting to move up to 13, and we could have easily dropped down some, picked up additional picks, and came away from the draft with several players with starting potential.

3. Kevin Barnes CB, Maryland
If he hadnt gotten injured last year, he very well could have been drafted in the first half of the 2nd round, at the latest. Evidently hes completely healed from his injury and I really, really like this pick probably my favorite of the whole draft. I think hes our #4 corner on opening day, #3 corner by the end of the season, and he gives us leverage in negotiating with Carlos in the offseason.

5. Cody Glenn LB, Nebraska
I like this pick more than some of you. Glenn is a special teams beast and Im confident hell make the team. You cant really ask for much more in the 5th round.

6. Robert Henson LB, TCU
Wasted pick. Id be surprised if he makes the practice squad. I would have much rather seen us take a center or guard here.

7. Eddie Williams FB, Idaho
The only reason I think we signed him is to have some leverage in negotiating with Sellars, whos decided he doesnt like the contract he signed two years ago. Hes struggled with injuries and wont be able to participate in camp, so I dont think he gives the skins any leverage at all. Wasted pick.

7. Marko Mitchell WR,Nevada
The dudes very fast and I like the pick. Obviously, his chances of making the roster are slim, but given Thrashs days are numbered and Kelly may never be healthy, hes got a better shot than do most 7th rounders.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #93
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,383
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

The upgrades to the offense came last year. It's up to Zorn and company to get those guys up to speed to contribute this year. And of course the continued development of Campbell.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #94
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
As much as I would like to, I cant give this draft anything higher than a D. Not because I think we made bad selections, but because of the implications of those picks: Snyder is setting Zorn up to fail.

We had the #4 defense last year, an anemic offense, and we did nothing to upgrade our offense until 7th round. Even then, we did nothing to upgrade our offensive line. The minute we failed to land Sanchez, our focus should have been upgrading our offensive line either to protect Campbell in 2009 and the rookie quarterback we select in the first round in 2010 Make no mistake, by spending our first 4 picks on defensive players, Snyder sent Zorn a clear message: Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.
Yes, I'm sure that's Danny's exact plan moving forward. Let's intentionally tank an entire draft for the sole purpose of running the coach and QB out of town. Please. That's ludicrous. And since when did Snyder care if the fans are on his side or not?
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #95
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

1- Brian Orakpo (DE) - The ONE guy I wanted them to draft! SO HAPPY!

3- Kevin Barnes (CB) - GREAT steal here, he was a projected 1st-rounder until he hurt his shoulder in 2008. He's going to be very good I believe

5- Cody Glenn (OLB) - Good depth for a position of need in the near future.

6- Robert Henson (OLB) - Ditto above.

7- Eddie Williams (TE/FB) - Now with Sellers' antics and his age, this was a very smart pick as insurance and possibly to replace Sellers next year.

7- Marko Mitchell (WR) - Pick could have been used better on an offensive lineman, specifically a Center.


Overall, I loved the draft. Most happy that we did not get Sanchez and completely thrilled that we got ORAKPO!!!!

So, I'll give it a high B, only because no o-line depth was drafted.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #96
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 44
Posts: 4,952
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
As much as I would like to, I cant give this draft anything higher than a D. Not because I think we made bad selections, but because of the implications of those picks: Snyder is setting Zorn up to fail.

We had the #4 defense last year, an anemic offense, and we did nothing to upgrade our offense until 7th round. Even then, we did nothing to upgrade our offensive line. The minute we failed to land Sanchez, our focus should have been upgrading our offensive line either to protect Campbell in 2009 and the rookie quarterback we select in the first round in 2010 Make no mistake, by spending our first 4 picks on defensive players, Snyder sent Zorn a clear message: Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.

So, for that reason, I give the draft a D because it means were starting over again in 2010. Some thoughts about the picks:

1. Brian Orakpo DE, Texas
He was the best player on the board at 13 and fills a dire need. Next to Haynesworth, he could have double-digit sacks in his first season. The Skins would be stupid to have Orakpo play LB on 1st and 2nd downs and move inside on 3rd as the Redskins told Orkapo they would do prior to the draft. To my knowledge, scouts unanimously say he is purely a pass rusher and sucks in coverage. Now he has a great work ethic so perhaps over time he could learn to fill such a role, but certainly not in his rookie season. If were smart, well line him up at LDE and keep him there all season. Orakpo also has some versatility and could be used in a 3-4 defense, in case we somehow land Cowher in 2010. While I think Orakpo was a nice pick, several teams called wanting to move up to 13, and we could have easily dropped down some, picked up additional picks, and came away from the draft with several players with starting potential.

3. Kevin Barnes CB, Maryland
If he hadnt gotten injured last year, he very well could have been drafted in the first half of the 2nd round, at the latest. Evidently hes completely healed from his injury and I really, really like this pick probably my favorite of the whole draft. I think hes our #4 corner on opening day, #3 corner by the end of the season, and he gives us leverage in negotiating with Carlos in the offseason.

5. Cody Glenn LB, Nebraska
I like this pick more than some of you. Glenn is a special teams beast and Im confident hell make the team. You cant really ask for much more in the 5th round.

6. Robert Henson LB, TCU
Wasted pick. Id be surprised if he makes the practice squad. I would have much rather seen us take a center or guard here.

7. Eddie Williams FB, Idaho
The only reason I think we signed him is to have some leverage in negotiating with Sellars, whos decided he doesnt like the contract he signed two years ago. Hes struggled with injuries and wont be able to participate in camp, so I dont think he gives the skins any leverage at all. Wasted pick.

7. Marko Mitchell WR,Nevada
The dudes very fast and I like the pick. Obviously, his chances of making the roster are slim, but given Thrashs days are numbered and Kelly may never be healthy, hes got a better shot than do most 7th rounders.
Man BHA, have an agenda much? I gave you props last week for bringing solid content but you contradict yourself too much man. How can you praise 4 picks and yet still give the draft a 'D'?

Even your assessment of Orapko is rife with errors. Scouts were far from 'unanimous' that Orapko is merely a pure pass rusher, most said his best position would be a 4-3 end. I didn't hear many/any reports that he 'sucked in coverage' because he wasn't asked to do that at Texas so what where they basing the reports on? There weren't 'several teams that called trying to get to #13', hell we were on the clock for 90 seconds, how many calls could come in? The word was IF Moreno was on the clock there could have been teams interested but it didn't happen.

Your notion of Snyder-sabotage is just silly. Here's the thing with Snyder, if he TRULY wants something he's going to get/do it, outside opinions be damned. If he TRULY wanted Cutler he would have given our 1st, 3rd and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd of next year. If he TRULY wanted Sanchez he would have given up our 2010 #1. If he TRULY wanted Shanahan to be coaching this team now, he would have fired Zorn and hired Shanahan immediately after he was let go. He wants a winner and while he's willing to do almost anything to do it, but tanking a draft in hopes that the team will suck so he can 'be justified' in firing the coach is ridiculous.
__________________
Challenge Greatness! Be A Leader! Make A Difference!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #97
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,450
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

IMO, it's not a bad draft. NOT perfect by any means. An "B" or maybe "C". We will definately be signifigantly improved as a team, especially when considering our FA picks as well.
BUT, VC and company needs to figure out how to get to the next level......like the Pat's
It's about the journey?
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them. Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #98
Camp Scrub
 
bigant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: bloomfield,new jersey
Posts: 78
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

when campbell leaves us via free agency, who the hell will be the quarterback next year? and i can,t blame him at all,we tried to get another quarterback in here three times during the off-season...
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #99
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

1- Brian Orakpo (DE)
3- Kevin Barnes (CB)
5- Cody Glenn (OLB)
6- Robert Henson (OLB)
7- Eddie Williams (TE/FB)
7- Marko Mitchell (WR)

Brian Orakpo was a great pick. It fulfilled a need and they got a very good player.
Kevin Barnes is a decent pick. Most draft analysts didn't have him going this early.
Cody Glenn is a head scratcher. Guy played linebacker only one year in college.
Robert Henson is okay. Special teams, here we come.
Eddie Williams was a horrible pick. H-back/fullback/tight end with injury problems.
Marko Mitchell is a good prospect. He is big, fast and very production in college. Sleeper.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #100
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,383
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Your notion of Snyder-sabotage is just silly. Here's the thing with Snyder, if he TRULY wants something he's going to get/do it, outside opinions be damned. If he TRULY wanted Cutler he would have given our 1st, 3rd and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd of next year. If he TRULY wanted Sanchez he would have given up our 2010 #1. If he TRULY wanted Shanahan to be coaching this team now, he would have fired Zorn and hired Shanahan immediately after he was let go. He wants a winner and while he's willing to do almost anything to do it, but tanking a draft in hopes that the team will suck so he can 'be justified' in firing the coach is ridiculous.
Agreed, but some people just LOVE conspiracy theories.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #101
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,450
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Paintrain=Vinnie C.
I KNEW IT
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them. Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:21 PM   #102
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,849
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's Danny's exact plan moving forward. Let's intentionally tank an entire draft for the sole purpose of running the coach and QB out of town. Please. That's ludicrous. And since when did Snyder care if the fans are on his side or not?
Yes. It's an insidious super-secret plan by the Stonecutters to get rid of Zorn and replace him with Steve Guttenberg.

C'mon. If Snyder was that down on Zorn, he would have fired him before the draft. Serioulsy, you think Snyder cares? He fired Marty after one season, you think he'd wait on Zorn? Please.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #103
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Yes, I'm sure that's Danny's exact plan moving forward. Let's intentionally tank an entire draft for the sole purpose of running the coach and QB out of town. Please. That's ludicrous. And since when did Snyder care if the fans are on his side or not?
You completely missed the point - Danny didnt tank the draft - he significantly improved the strongest area of our team - the defense. Whomever takes over as our HC next year will have one heck of a defense.

As far as when does Snyder care about the fans? the only reason Jim Fassel isnt our Head Coach right now is fan reaction. Snyders #1 priority is packing the stadium with fans - he obviously feared that wouldnt happen with Fassel as our HC.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #104
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
You completely missed the point - Danny didnt tank the draft - he significantly improved the strongest area of our team - the defense. Whomever takes over as our HC next year will have one heck of a defense.
You did a horrible job trying to illustrate your point then. Just awful.

"Im not giving you a thing to help you improve this year. Im hanging you and Campbell out to dry because I have every intention of hiring a new offensive minded coach next year and letting him select his own QB and offensive players to suit his system. While the majority of fans will applaud me for finally drafting a defensive end in the first round, what Im really doing is setting you up to fail so fans will be on my side when I decide to fire you after a dismal offensive performance in the 2009 season.

Quote:
As far as when does Snyder care about the fans? the only reason Jim Fassel isnt our Head Coach right now is fan reaction. Snyders #1 priority is packing the stadium with fans - he obviously feared that wouldnt happen with Fassel as our HC.
Not true, but to each their own I suppose
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #105
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Grade the Redskins Draft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Man BHA, have an agenda much? I gave you props last week for bringing solid content but you contradict yourself too much man. How can you praise 4 picks and yet still give the draft a 'D'?

Even your assessment of Orapko is rife with errors. Scouts were far from 'unanimous' that Orapko is merely a pure pass rusher, most said his best position would be a 4-3 end. I didn't hear many/any reports that he 'sucked in coverage' because he wasn't asked to do that at Texas so what where they basing the reports on? There weren't 'several teams that called trying to get to #13', hell we were on the clock for 90 seconds, how many calls could come in? The word was IF Moreno was on the clock there could have been teams interested but it didn't happen.

Your notion of Snyder-sabotage is just silly. Here's the thing with Snyder, if he TRULY wants something he's going to get/do it, outside opinions be damned. If he TRULY wanted Cutler he would have given our 1st, 3rd and our 1st, 2nd, 3rd of next year. If he TRULY wanted Sanchez he would have given up our 2010 #1. If he TRULY wanted Shanahan to be coaching this team now, he would have fired Zorn and hired Shanahan immediately after he was let go. He wants a winner and while he's willing to do almost anything to do it, but tanking a draft in hopes that the team will suck so he can 'be justified' in firing the coach is ridiculous.
How do I contradict myself? I specifically stated why I gave the draft a D. If I was allowed more than 20 minutes of internet time at work per day, I would give you all sorts of criticisms of Orakpo dont get me wrong hell likely be a great player, but everyone has weaknesses, and his coverage skills are his primary weakness.

How many calls came in According to Vinny Cerratos press conference, they had 2 offers to trade back in those 90 seconds. Obviously, those offers werent enticing enough to accept. what did they have to lose by using their entire allotment of time? Perhaps other teams would make better offers or one of the two teams who had already made offers would sweeten the pot?

And again, I did not accuse Snyder of tanking a draft Tanking would involve deliberately making stupid picks. Thats not what happened here. For the most part, the skins got great players at a great value. If the skins were going to stay at 13, then taking Orakpo was a no-brainer. However, by failing to explore offers to trade down (allowing them to get a starting lineman AND a starting/rotational pass-rusher, the team essentially sealed both Zorn and Campbells fates. Baring a miracle, neither will be here in 2010. Thats why I gave the draft a D. We might have gotten great players, but by failing to address the offensive line, weve all but ensured another overhaul in 2010. This franchise is in dire need of stability. Instead, weve created a top 3 defense that will once again be shacked by a horrible, ineffective offense that cant score touchdowns.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.45775 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25