Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: What Position Should We Draft in the 2010 First Round
Offensive Lineman 159 75.36%
Running Back 2 0.95%
Quarterback 50 23.70%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #136
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
There is a guy who has a 7 on his jersey for Notre Dame that we should seriously consider in the second round:

Sam Young, , NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com
Do you think that that source is incorrect in grading him as a round 4-7 pick?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #137
Impact Rookie
 
hail_2_da_skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 58
Posts: 863
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

When you build a house, you build it from the foundation on up. The same goes for a football team. You build a good football team from the line to the skilled positions. A lot of fans pay attention to the touchdown passes and runs and don't realize that none of that can be attained without good line play. The line enables the quarterback to do his job. Mediocre quarterback can at times look spectacular when given enough time. The quarterback's best friend is a solid running game. Guess what, you can't run if you don't have good blocking. Someone asked a dumbass question about picking Montana versus Jacobi. If you have a decent line, yes it's a no brainer, pick Montana. But if you have a line like the Redskins, you pick Jacobi. The Redskins have to address their offensive line before committing another quarterback to a severe beating.
__________________
"HAIL TO THE SKINS"
hail_2_da_skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #138
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Clausen if he's there, don't go up to get him. If he's gone, best LT available.
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #139
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Do you think that that source is incorrect in grading him as a round 4-7 pick?
I think it's very early.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #140
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
this is my first post because i just had to chime in. u guys are all idiots.
.
I literally laughed aloud here. I'm willing to believe that what you posted, which I'm not going to bother to read, agreed with what others have said.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #141
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
this is my first post because i just had to chime in. u guys are all idiots.

the redskins need a new qb, three or four new ol-men, a number 1 receiver, a new tight end (cooleys has unbelievable stats for his marginal talent because jason campbell constantly checks down and doesnt throw the ball to wrs) TWO new running backs, ladell betts is garbage and clinton portis can make one cut and then falls down LOL! u need two new defensive ends because orakpo would be a beast but is running around covering people, i mean jarmon wouldnt be starting on any other nfc east team and everyone loves him just because hes new and young. a new mlb to replace 36 year old london fletcher. a shutdown corner. dangelo hall gets picks and returns them because hes fast but they are usually on tips or some bullshit not because he jumps routes (see asante samuels), and the asshole cant tackle for shit. horton is too stocky and slow to play safety in this league so a new ss... actually make that a new FS and let landry move over to ss.

i think that makes 14 players.

so after that venting... what the skins need to do is draft a LT or QB in the first round this year, and then go best player available every other round.... and then get a LT or +QB next year in the first round and go best available in all the other rounds once again.
nevermind.. I read it.. go back to your madden with the salary cap turned off
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #142
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 12,514
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

nvm already answered
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #143
Camp Scrub
 
redskinslick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 54
Thumbs up Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMeister View Post
O-line should be the #1 priority. QB is far too much of a crapshoot in the first round. See Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell drafted in the 1st round here alone. Throw in Alex Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington, JaMarcus Russell, Rick Mirer, Trent Dilfer, and Ryan Leaf - All Top 5 overall. We did pretty well with Chris Samuels as a top-5 pick. I want our new GM to find the next Chris Samuels.
And there it is...
redskinslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #144
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

I haven't done the research yet, but if there's a QB that grades as close to a "can't miss" as possible, we may have to take him. If not, then OL.

I'm not against trading back for more picks either. If we've got a top 5 then trade back for a late first & a 2nd or 3rd. We need as many picks as possible.

As long as VC is not making the decisions i'll most likely be happy.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #145
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Well most of you are wrong

Seriously though, I get the sense some people think that of us who say take a QB first are saying ignore the line. And that's not the case, not from me at least. I mean I'm not opposed to going OL in the first and QB in the second. Really, I'm not. But, looking at this year's potential picks (and also peeking ahead as best as possible to the 2011 draft), I lean toward QB first
When we were a 6-2 team last year, the offensive backfield was our best unit. It might still be our best unit, with Cooley on the mend, but only because pretty much every unit has been terrible.

I support the notion that a great player in the offensive backfield could make the lines job easier, but I would suggest that you should make it a great running back, someone who could make a decent running team out of the current line.

The Redskins simply do not have the receivers to make the next two years of the passing game anything but a moderate success, best case scenario. However, since we tend to block well with our receivers against other DBs, and we're trying to build the OL anyway, I think the quickest way to make the OL look competent would be to get the best available RB.

If we were to go to a more run, run, play action style of offense, you'd probably want to change the quarterback as well, since Campbell is more of a read and react style player, than a PA, throw the ball in a tight window down the field. But since we can't really make great strides in the passing game with just an offseason or two, lets go to work on the running game first.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #146
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Im taking a Tackle in the first and qb in the second.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #147
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,241
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
When we were a 6-2 team last year, the offensive backfield was our best unit. It might still be our best unit, with Cooley on the mend, but only because pretty much every unit has been terrible.

I support the notion that a great player in the offensive backfield could make the lines job easier, but I would suggest that you should make it a great running back, someone who could make a decent running team out of the current line.

The Redskins simply do not have the receivers to make the next two years of the passing game anything but a moderate success, best case scenario. However, since we tend to block well with our receivers against other DBs, and we're trying to build the OL anyway, I think the quickest way to make the OL look competent would be to get the best available RB.

If we were to go to a more run, run, play action style of offense, you'd probably want to change the quarterback as well, since Campbell is more of a read and react style player, than a PA, throw the ball in a tight window down the field. But since we can't really make great strides in the passing game with just an offseason or two, lets go to work on the running game first.
That's why the Skins should have drafted Adrian Petersen when I told them to do it. But, since it's too late to do that, they can follow my Plan B, which is as follows:

Trade or cut everyone on the team who is older than Albert Haynesworth. Draft Tim Tebow in the first round. Use picks acquired via trades to move up and draft Javid Best in the late first or early second round. Draft nothing but OL with the rest of the picks.

Drafting Tebow and Best would give us two good RB's in the draft. Plus we'd get a QB (Tebow) a receiver (Best), and a return man (Best).

There's no need to compensate me, Danny. This particular brilliant insight of mine is gratis.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #148
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hail_2_da_skins View Post
When you build a house, you build it from the foundation on up. The same goes for a football team. You build a good football team from the line to the skilled positions. A lot of fans pay attention to the touchdown passes and runs and don't realize that none of that can be attained without good line play. The line enables the quarterback to do his job. Mediocre quarterback can at times look spectacular when given enough time. The quarterback's best friend is a solid running game. Guess what, you can't run if you don't have good blocking. Someone asked a dumbass question about picking Montana versus Jacobi. If you have a decent line, yes it's a no brainer, pick Montana. But if you have a line like the Redskins, you pick Jacobi. The Redskins have to address their offensive line before committing another quarterback to a severe beating.
While I absolutely agree with you that you need a solid oline, and it's the "foundation of your house", a good oline can be had in later picks. It's possible, but harder to find a good qb in the later rounds. Therefore you need to take the QB first, then go after the oline.
You used Jacoby as point to answer another question, but what you failed to mention is that Jacoby was UNDRAFTED! Why take someone with the 4th overall pick, when you can get him with the 4th pick in the 2nd round or later? Montana was taken early cause his talented warrented such, Jacoby was an undrafted free agent cause people weren't that high on him. He had something to prove. Point is, oline is easier to find deeper in rounds than qb leaders.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #149
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,022
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
While I absolutely agree with you that you need a solid oline, and it's the "foundation of your house", a good oline can be had in later picks. It's possible, but harder to find a good qb in the later rounds. Therefore you need to take the QB first, then go after the oline.
You used Jacoby as point to answer another question, but what you failed to mention is that Jacoby was UNDRAFTED! Why take someone with the 4th overall pick, when you can get him with the 4th pick in the 2nd round or later? Montana was taken early cause his talented warrented such, Jacoby was an undrafted free agent cause people weren't that high on him. He had something to prove. Point is, oline is easier to find deeper in rounds than qb leaders.
I think my problem with not drafting an o-lineman in the first round is that I don't have faith in the offensive line coaching, nor do I have faith in the decision making folks. I mean we drafted a lineman in the 3rd round last year, and that hasn't worked out well. Furthermore, we just lost our Pro Bowl LT. Unless the offensive line coaching changes or we get some competent people that can do a good job in picking a franchise tackle in the later rounds or we get second first rounder somehow, I'd rather have the team pick a tackle in the first round.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #150
Inactive
 
KLHJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: DC Metro Area
Age: 36
Posts: 5,829
Re: Our 2010 First Round Draft Pick Should Be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.Killa View Post
Redskins QB 1st round
Cowboys QB UDF
Eagles QB 1st round
Giants QB 1st round

Bears QB 1st round
Lions QB 1st round
Packers QB 1st round
Vikings QB 2nd round(Farve)

Atlanta QB 1st round
Tampa Bay QB 1st round
Panthers QB UDF
Saints QB 1st

Cardinals QB UDF
49ers QB 1st(This Week)
Seahawks QB 6th round
Rams QB 6th round

10 first rounders, one second rounder, two sixth rounders, three UDF.

After doing this exercise, I think it is a good idea to take your QB in the first round.
Now rank them according to quality of play and see what you get. Just because a guy is taken in the first round it does not mean that he is worth it.
KLHJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32752 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25