Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Redskins pick 4th in the draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #46
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
You sound like you're out of your mind. I completely understand the importance of a shutdown corner. But our team doesn't need a shutdown corner right now. We need offensive linemen. We need a franchise qb. We need lbs. We need breakaway rb. We do not need to address our secondary when they have played pretty solid this year. What we need to do is trade the pick away for more picks.
In an ideal world u can trade away picks and get value for the extra picks u receive, but its not that easy to find a trading partner who gives you value for that pick. It seems like less and less these days that NFL teams are willing to move into the top 10 to draft guys, b/c of the risk of whether they will adapt to the pro game from college as well as the cap implications if they fail (due to these absurd rookie contracts). Also though I'll agree that offensive linemen are the safest position to take in the top 5, they are still anything but a sure thing. I'm just scared sh*tless of having this pick be a bust. It means too much for our franchise.
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #47
Special Teams
 
Rajmahal33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 478
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
^ none of those guys are worth the 4th pick in any draft. Samuel is great but he's in Philly where they would never trade to a division rival... Sorry but this isn't franchise mode in madden, you can't trade a pick like that for a 29 year old corner .
With the exception of Hayden all of those young guys were taken in the top 20 of their respective drafts. IMHO, these guys have a legit shot of growing into a shutdown corner role. That along with the fact that we'd have to pay them a lot less money (as compared to a #4 pick) to me is worth dropping ~15 spots. I also said that we could try to pick up an extra pick or player to even up the transaction.
__________________
McNasty FTW!
Rajmahal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #48
Registered User
 
Landry44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 299
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajmahal33 View Post
In an ideal world u can trade away picks and get value for the extra picks u receive, but its not that easy to find a trading partner who gives you value for that pick. It seems like less and less these days that NFL teams are willing to move into the top 10 to draft guys, b/c of the risk of whether they will adapt to the pro game from college as well as the cap implications if they fail (due to these absurd rookie contracts). Also though I'll agree that offensive linemen are the safest position to take in the top 5, they are still anything but a sure thing. I'm just scared sh*tless of having this pick be a bust. It means too much for our franchise.
A few years ago, I told guys on ESPN Redskins message board, that trading our picks for veterans was bad way to build a team. They looked at it as not being a big deal. They felt as long as you got quality guys it didn't matter if we drafted them or acquired them in free agency. Three years later, these same guys now realize that they were wrong. The draft is very important. It's about time us as fans start showing some patience and let guys develop.

If you look at it, our team is old. Right now, we need to get younger on offense and defense. We need to build depth in every position, not just the OL. That is what the draft is for. I can't see why anybody would think it's a good idea to trade away the 4th pick to acquire a vet that you're not sure is going to work out. The best thing for us to do is to trade down. We need more picks.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #49
Special Teams
 
LandrySlice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AFGHANISTAN
Posts: 334
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Trade Cooley for more picks, and that will address the line. Interesting that the Rutgers OT is already jumping like crazy by Scouts Inc. They claim many OL prospects, so thats good news.
__________________
Don't tase me bro!!!!
LandrySlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #50
The Starter
 
#56fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Age: 39
Posts: 1,788
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandrySlice View Post
Trade Cooley for more picks, and that will address the line. Interesting that the Rutgers OT is already jumping like crazy by Scouts Inc. They claim many OL prospects, so thats good news.

I love the move of trading Cooley for more picks, not sure if that is a very popular move around DC though? I would hate to give him up, but for what ever reason this organization wants to draft a QB in the top 5. If that is the case then we need anouther first round pick to shore up the line a little. No other player on our team garners a 1st round pick, or 2nd for that matter. I can't believe that we have the opportunity to draft the best Olineman in college and we are crapping on that because of Danny's unrelenting desire to get Campbell of the door.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #51
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
If you want a corner so badly, why not just draft Joe Haden? I'm certainly not suggesting we use our 4th pick on him, but by your rationale, that would be the best move. He came to Florida having never played corner before, and yet he started at CB from day one as a freshman and hasn't missed a game since and was 1st team all-American this year. Plus he's a local guy. He's a sick prospect.

You say trade the 4th pick for a great corner. Who? What young shutdown corner is out there that is trade bait?
You could probably grab Asomugha for Rogers + 4th overall pick.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #52
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,877
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
You could probably grab Asomugha for Rogers + 4th overall pick.
When I first read this I thought you said Rogers+a 4th and immediately decided Tripp had lost his ever-loving mind.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #53
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,963
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
When I first read this I thought you said Rogers+a 4th and immediately decided Tripp had lost his ever-loving mind.
I was also going to suggest dealing our fifth overall rounder to the Packers for Greg Jennings.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #54
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

I'm not overly impressed with any of the QBs in this year's draft; however we do need to draft a QB in 2010 or 2011. 2011 could be even "slimmer pickings" than what we have this year, so we might not have much of a choice. There aren't many top tier OTs in this draft either, so taking a QB may wind up being the "smartest" move. I don't like Clausen at all. We'd be better off taking Tebow at #4. I'm indifferent to McCoy. I could live with Bradford. Not really familiar with Pike and Snead.

Drafting Okung with our 1st and then snagging Tebow with our 2nd would be nice. I don't think Tebow will be a great NFL QB, but Shanahan could use him more effectively than most other coaches. ideally, shanahan could work his magic Colt Brennan turn him into a player. I'm not a cult-of-colt member but he's "free."
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #55
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,287
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I'm not overly impressed with any of the QBs in this year's draft; however we do need to draft a QB in 2010 or 2011. 2011 could be even "slimmer pickings" than what we have this year, so we might not have much of a choice. There aren't many top tier OTs in this draft either, so taking a QB may wind up being the "smartest" move. I don't like Clausen at all. We'd be better off taking Tebow at #4. I'm indifferent to McCoy. I could live with Bradford. Not really familiar with Pike and Snead.

Drafting Okung with our 1st and then snagging Tebow with our 2nd would be nice. I don't think Tebow will be a great NFL QB, but Shanahan could use him more effectively than most other coaches. ideally, shanahan could work his magic Colt Brennan turn him into a player. I'm not a cult-of-colt member but he's "free."
You don't like Clausen? But you'd take Tebow at #4? Please explain both.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #56
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,391
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Tebow in round 4 maybe. lol
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #57
Special Teams
 
cdskins26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 348
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Clausen. IMO Bradford is slightly inferior to him because of the system he played in college. Clausen played in an NFL like style in college which would be a benefit for him to start Week 1. I'd expect suh not to slip. I think we need a QB first to turn a page with new coach new QB. But then again theres always Colt Brennan. . .
cdskins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #58
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,877
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I was also going to suggest dealing our fifth overall rounder to the Packers for Greg Jennings.
Why aren't you the GM?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #59
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,877
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Tebow at 4...that is seriously laughable.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #60
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,481
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Draft Tebow with the 4th overall pick, and trade Campbell for Chris Simms. Our problems are solved!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29101 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25