Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Redskins pick 4th in the draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM   #61
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
A few years ago, I told guys on ESPN Redskins message board, that trading our picks for veterans was bad way to build a team. They looked at it as not being a big deal. They felt as long as you got quality guys it didn't matter if we drafted them or acquired them in free agency. Three years later, these same guys now realize that they were wrong. The draft is very important. It's about time us as fans start showing some patience and let guys develop.

If you look at it, our team is old. Right now, we need to get younger on offense and defense. We need to build depth in every position, not just the OL. That is what the draft is for. I can't see why anybody would think it's a good idea to trade away the 4th pick to acquire a vet that you're not sure is going to work out. The best thing for us to do is to trade down. We need more picks.
I hear what you're saying about the draft. We have started drafting players even under Cerrato's watch. My biggest beef with him was he neglected the O-line.

I don't share your view about the team bing old. Yes there are a few older players on the roster but nothing compared to the way it was last year and years before. Most of the older guys will be "retiring" this year anyway, IE: Thomas, Samuels, Wynn, Daniels, etc.

Some of the guys on the roster will be traded, cut, or let go. We have good young talent on this team at almost every position except the O-line, which has none.

We could upgrade in a few areas, but we do have young to medium aged players like Golston, Horton, Blades, Doughty, McIntosh, and Cartwright. They may not blow your socks off but they get the job done if used properly. This isn't taken into account guys that are coming into their own, IE: Orakpo, Jarmon, Davis, and Thomas.

Also, the team isn't going to have to learn a totally different offense.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #62
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,688
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Living in Mississippi I've seen a lot of Snead and I think he should wait a year IMHO. He just does not seem ready for prime time.
Agreed, but at the same time if he does come out he's probably a mid-rounder. Shanahan could take him and develop him while starting Campbell for one more year-which isn't all that unlikely.

Shanahan is definitely drafting a QB this year. I just don't know where
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #63
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,657
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Agreed, but at the same time if he does come out he's probably a mid-rounder. Shanahan could take him and develop him while starting Campbell for one more year-which isn't all that unlikely.

Shanahan is definitely drafting a QB this year. I just don't know where
Is there a reason for your certainty other than "new regimes mean new QB's"?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #64
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,688
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Is there a reason for your certainty other than "new regimes mean new QB's"?
Too many people telling me he's drafting a QB for me to not think it's true. But I've heard it could be the 1st round, could be the 2nd, could be as late as the 4th.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #65
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,737
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
I hear what you're saying about the draft. We have started drafting players even under Cerrato's watch. My biggest beef with him was he neglected the O-line.

I don't share your view about the team bing old. Yes there are a few older players on the roster but nothing compared to the way it was last year and years before. Most of the older guys will be "retiring" this year anyway, IE: Thomas, Samuels, Wynn, Daniels, etc.

Some of the guys on the roster will be traded, cut, or let go. We have good young talent on this team at almost every position except the O-line, which has none.

We could upgrade in a few areas, but we do have young to medium aged players like Golston, Horton, Blades, Doughty, McIntosh, and Cartwright. They may not blow your socks off but they get the job done if used properly. This isn't taken into account guys that are coming into their own, IE: Orakpo, Jarmon, Davis, and Thomas.

Also, the team isn't going to have to learn a totally different offense.
Hey Trample - that is an almost optimistic quote from you, don't get too carried away just yet.

just messing around, it's really good to see this team apparently moving toward the light.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM   #66
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,657
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Too many people telling me he's drafting a QB for me to not think it's true. But I've heard it could be the 1st round, could be the 2nd, could be as late as the 4th.
Although I'd love to take a stud LT at #4, I'm warming to the idea of taking a QB high. Heath Shuler and Norm Snead were our only attempts to draft an elite QB in the last 50 years. Maybe it is time for a change in "strategery."
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #67
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Agreed, but at the same time if he does come out he's probably a mid-rounder. Shanahan could take him and develop him while starting Campbell for one more year-which isn't all that unlikely.

Shanahan is definitely drafting a QB this year. I just don't know where
That's the ESPN company line.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #68
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,688
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
That's the ESPN company line.
LOL...sure
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #69
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,688
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Although I'd love to take a stud LT at #4, I'm warming to the idea of taking a QB high. Heath Shuler and Norm Snead were our only attempts to draft an elite QB in the last 50 years. Maybe it is time for a change in "strategery."
I'm not entirely convinced that there is a stud LT at #4. I think we could get someone just as good in round 2.

If we don't take a QB or LT I suppose Berry is possible if he's there though I haven't really heard much indicating we're interested. And I'd still say keep an eye on Rolando McClain. Still it's very very early.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #70
Registered User
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,917
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
You don't like Clausen? But you'd take Tebow at #4? Please explain both.
I would be seriously pissed if we drafted Tebow at 4 - i was just dramatically emphasizing my dislike for Clausen. While I think has the physical and mental skills to to eventually be a good NFL QB, i don't think he's NFL-ready right now. However, my main distaste for him is less tangible and has more to do with his personality - or atleast what i've seen of it. he has the persona of a cocky (not the same as confident), smart-ass kid who thinks too much of himself. I heard his interview with vinny cerrato and he just seemed like a total douche - he didn't seem like someone who would earn the respect of the locker room. To me, he just doesnt have the "it" factor. i don't see him as a "leader." Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow do. they have the persona that commands respect. While there is a high-risk, high reward factor with all of those guys (less so with Tebow), Bradford and McCoy are guys I can see being "manning/brady-esque" in their ability to make guys around them better, take the team on their shoulders, and win games. A guy with Claussen's attitude will never achieve that. I'd rather not gamble on any of these guys in the 1st round, but Claussens completely off my "board."

i mean, look at the guy.

File:102007-JimmyClausen.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't you just want to smack him?
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #71
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

^ Yes.


Tebow seems like a great guy as a person (much like Zorn), but I don't want to experiment with a QB in the mold of others who have failed at the pro level. I don't think he'll succeed as a pro. His career could follow Pat White's...a backup or even emergency QB who only gets on the field for trick plays as a ball carrier.

I don't want to see the #4 pick wasted on any QB, but Tebow especially.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #72
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,657
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I would be seriously pissed if we drafted Tebow at 4 - i was just dramatically emphasizing my dislike for Clausen. While I think has the physical and mental skills to to eventually be a good NFL QB, i don't think he's NFL-ready right now. However, my main distaste for him is less tangible and has more to do with his personality - or atleast what i've seen of it. he has the persona of a cocky (not the same as confident), smart-ass kid who thinks too much of himself. I heard his interview with vinny cerrato and he just seemed like a total douche - he didn't seem like someone who would earn the respect of the locker room. To me, he just doesnt have the "it" factor. i don't see him as a "leader." Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow do. they have the persona that commands respect. While there is a high-risk, high reward factor with all of those guys (less so with Tebow), Bradford and McCoy are guys I can see being "manning/brady-esque" in their ability to make guys around them better, take the team on their shoulders, and win games. A guy with Claussen's attitude will never achieve that. I'd rather not gamble on any of these guys in the 1st round, but Claussens completely off my "board."

i mean, look at the guy.

File:102007-JimmyClausen.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't you just want to smack him?
Fair enough. You are not the first to call out Clausen as smug and arrogant.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #73
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
I would be seriously pissed if we drafted Tebow at 4 - i was just dramatically emphasizing my dislike for Clausen. While I think has the physical and mental skills to to eventually be a good NFL QB, i don't think he's NFL-ready right now. However, my main distaste for him is less tangible and has more to do with his personality - or atleast what i've seen of it. he has the persona of a cocky (not the same as confident), smart-ass kid who thinks too much of himself. I heard his interview with vinny cerrato and he just seemed like a total douche - he didn't seem like someone who would earn the respect of the locker room. To me, he just doesnt have the "it" factor. i don't see him as a "leader." Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow do. they have the persona that commands respect. While there is a high-risk, high reward factor with all of those guys (less so with Tebow), Bradford and McCoy are guys I can see being "manning/brady-esque" in their ability to make guys around them better, take the team on their shoulders, and win games. A guy with Claussen's attitude will never achieve that. I'd rather not gamble on any of these guys in the 1st round, but Claussens completely off my "board."

i mean, look at the guy.

File:102007-JimmyClausen.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

don't you just want to smack him?
I agree with most of what you have to say. I wouldn't be totally pissed with McCoy in the first or Tebow in the second. Clausen just looks like a douche to me.
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #74
Playmaker
 
Trample the Elderly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Three Chopt Virginia
Age: 36
Posts: 2,906
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Hey Trample - that is an almost optimistic quote from you, don't get too carried away just yet.

just messing around, it's really good to see this team apparently moving toward the light.
New year buddy - new year!
__________________
A funny thing happened on the way to the temple. The moneychangers bought the priesthood.
Trample the Elderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #75
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Redskins pick 4th in the draft

My thoughts:

1. St Louis: May go QB here, but most likely Suh?
2. Detroit: Not going qb, Berry, Okung, Suh?
3. TB: Not going qb, Berry, McCoy, Okung
4. Washington: We may still have all of the QB's on the board if we so choose. Suh will be gone that's for sure. Okung most likely will be gone. I could see us sliding down a few spots if there's a partner willing. Teams need young qb's and we'll be sitting nicely. We potentially can slide down and still go OL or qb.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.39457 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25