Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #91
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Three times in the last decade we've drafted QB's in the first round of the draft, we're still in search of that so called "franchise QB."

The last time we considered choosing a QB in the top five was 1994 (Heath Shuler) need we be reminded of the result? I am reminded however of the pro-bowlers we missed out on that year, notwithstanding the financial aspect and the set back it causes for the team when you miss on your expectation. Take a look at a few players we missed out on as a resut of drafting Shuler.

Willie McGinest
Bryant Young
Sam Adams
Aaron Glenn
Joe Johnson
Todd Steussie
Jamir Miller....And just to provoke a little more controversy we'll throw in Trent Dilfer. A pretty impressive list of players.

Trusting Bruce Allen is not going to formulate his Father's creed in "The Future Is Now" less the team will become old in a hurry. I say if we're going to draft a QB, it would be wise to perhaps try to land a guy like Dan LeFevour if possible, use this year to install principles and philosophies. After the maelstrom that can form as a result of what is expected to be long and complex labor negotiation subside, we will have a blue chip player like LeFevour to promote from within.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #92
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Three times in the last decade we've drafted QB's in the first round of the draft, we're still in search of that so called "franchise QB."

The last time we considered choosing a QB in the top five was 1994 (Heath Shuler) need we be reminded of the result? I am reminded however of the pro-bowlers we missed out on that year, notwithstanding the financial aspect and the set back it causes for the team when you miss on your expectation. Take a look at a few players we missed out on as a resut of drafting Shuler.

Willie McGinest
Bryant Young
Sam Adams
Aaron Glenn
Joe Johnson
Todd Steussie
Jamir Miller....And just to provoke a little more controversy we'll throw in Trent Dilfer. A pretty impressive list of players.

Trusting Bruce Allen is not going to formulate his Father's creed in "The Future Is Now" less the team will become old in a hurry. I say if we're going to draft a QB, it would be wise to perhaps try to land a guy like Dan LeFevour if possible, use this year to install principles and philosophies. After the maelstrom that can form as a result of what is expected to be long and complex labor negotiation subside, we will have a blue chip player like LeFevour to promote from within.
I mentioned drafting LeFevour after watching his bowl game.

We should definitely take a QB "later" in the draft.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #93
The Starter
 
Redskin Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 1,479
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
I mentioned drafting LeFevour after watching his bowl game.

We should definitely take a QB "later" in the draft.
I really like that kid he is a sleeper
__________________
WIN, LOSE OR DRAW I'M A DIE-HARD REDSKIN FAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
First they ban winning...now this?
Redskin Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #94
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Three times in the last decade we've drafted QB's in the first round of the draft, we're still in search of that so called "franchise QB."

The last time we considered choosing a QB in the top five was 1994 (Heath Shuler) need we be reminded of the result? I am reminded however of the pro-bowlers we missed out on that year, notwithstanding the financial aspect and the set back it causes for the team when you miss on your expectation. Take a look at a few players we missed out on as a resut of drafting Shuler.

Willie McGinest
Bryant Young
Sam Adams
Aaron Glenn
Joe Johnson
Todd Steussie
Jamir Miller....And just to provoke a little more controversy we'll throw in Trent Dilfer. A pretty impressive list of players.
Every team has a similar list at some point. We made a mistake on Shuler (that much is obvious) but does that mean we stop trying? To try to find that stud qb in the 4th-7th rounds is MUCH harder, yet we've tried that too...so maybe we should stop doing that as well. So let's not draft any qb ever, and just try to find FA qb's?
You ALWAYS take the chance at a stud QB when given the chance, don't let opportunity pass you by cause you failed the first time around.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:39 PM   #95
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Every team has a similar list at some point. We made a mistake on Shuler (that much is obvious) but does that mean we stop trying? To try to find that stud qb in the 4th-7th rounds is MUCH harder, yet we've tried that too...so maybe we should stop doing that as well. So let's not draft any qb ever, and just try to find FA qb's?
You ALWAYS take the chance at a stud QB when given the chance, don't let opportunity pass you by cause you failed the first time around.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone would suggest we should not make every attempt to land that ever elusive "franchise QB" if/when the opportunity presents itself. However, there are many who feel this team, at this time has far more pressing needs and should actually be trying to put itself in position to gather as many DP's as possible. This team can not fix all that ails it in one off-season. From now until draft day there are going to be those saying we should fix our o-line first, there are going to be those who say draft a QB and a whole host of other combinations. I say do what's best for the long term success of the team.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #96
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone would suggest we should not make every attempt to land that ever elusive "franchise QB" if/when the opportunity presents itself. However, there are many who feel this team, at this time has far more pressing needs and should actually be trying to put itself in position to gather as many DP's as possible. This team can not fix all that ails it in one off-season. From now until draft day there are going to be those saying we should fix our o-line first, there are going to be those who say draft a QB and a whole host of other combinations. I say do what's best for the long term success of the team.
Well, you are definitely correct about our other needs. (although maybe I am misunderstanding you with DP's...if defensive players, I disagree...we have major oline issues.)
My argument would be that we can find very good oline talent in the later rounds as opposed to what seems to be a "can't miss" prospect in Bradford. It's all a crap shoot I guess...but I certainly understand your point.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #97
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,506
See For Yourself

Find virtually anyone here. Just go to see all and search for the prospect you want to see: YouTube - ProDraftParty's Channel












__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #98
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,506
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Is it just me or does Anthony Davis look horrible? On top of that he has off the field issues!

I sure as shit hope we don't draft that guy.
Thats what I was thinking just now. Based on the scouting reports he was actually my favorite tackle but in that video he's shit compared to Okung. It freqently seemed like Davis was getting beat frequently in pass protection and gave up on plays. His run blocking wasn't anything to write home about either.

Okung is easily the best pass protector of the bunch and I came away very impressed with his high/low video.

However the guy that intrigues me the most right now is Charles Brown. The scouting reports weren't kidding when they said that he was athletic. I mean just his ability to move in run blocking and finishing plays was enough to impress me. I also saw him pull on toss plays that I had seen the Bronco's run with Clady. Only thing that worries me about Brown is his ability to take on the bull rush.

Buluga also looks pretty promising but I'm still waiting for his video to load all the way.

In other news McCoy stinks. I mean I know arm strength is overrated but his ability, or lack of, to throw the deep out scares me. Bradford on the other hand was better then I expected. A lot of his throws didn't impress me the way Clausen did, but he did throw more tough passes then I had expected. Also his release and accuracy is second to none. Only thing that scares me about Bradford right now is his lack of experience under center.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #99
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,332
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
In other news McCoy stinks. I mean I know arm strength is overrated but his ability, or lack of, to throw the deep out scares me.
I told you that locker room pass was end-over-end. LOL

Quote:
Only thing that scares me about Bradford right now is his lack of experience under center.
And the fact that he was rarely pressured, and when he was it wasn't pretty. OK's line was pretty damn good in 2008.

Thanks for those vids....they're much better than saden's
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #100
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Thats what I was thinking just now. Based on the scouting reports he was actually my favorite tackle but in that video he's shit compared to Okung. It freqently seemed like Davis was getting beat frequently in pass protection and gave up on plays. His run blocking wasn't anything to write home about either.

Okung is easily the best pass protector of the bunch and I came away very impressed with his high/low video.

However the guy that intrigues me the most right now is Charles Brown. The scouting reports weren't kidding when they said that he was athletic. I mean just his ability to move in run blocking and finishing plays was enough to impress me. I also saw him pull on toss plays that I had seen the Bronco's run with Clady. Only thing that worries me about Brown is his ability to take on the bull rush.

Buluga also looks pretty promising but I'm still waiting for his video to load all the way.

In other news McCoy stinks. I mean I know arm strength is overrated but his ability, or lack of, to throw the deep out scares me. Bradford on the other hand was better then I expected. A lot of his throws didn't impress me the way Clausen did, but he did throw more tough passes then I had expected. Also his release and accuracy is second to none. Only thing that scares me about Bradford right now is his lack of experience under center.
There's a reason he's the consensus #1 rated OT. I want Okung. I want a pro-bowl caliber LT for the next 10 years. I would much rather take Okung at #4 than take a chance on someone being a "Franchise QB." There are no sure things, but I think the risk with Okung is much lower than hoping one of the top 2 QB's is "Franchise."
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #101
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,506
Re: 79 Mock Drafts: Sam Bradford still Redskins projected choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
There's a reason he's the consensus #1 rated OT. I want Okung. I want a pro-bowl caliber LT for the next 10 years. I would much rather take Okung at #4 than take a chance on someone being a "Franchise QB." There are no sure things, but I think the risk with Okung is much lower than hoping one of the top 2 QB's is "Franchise."
I'd also like to take this time to point out that Bulaga (T Iowa) is flat out nasty. However he's not your average mauler, in fact he has the type of footwork Shanahan likes out of his lineman. In watching that video I can now see why Mayock has him so highly regared.

If we don't draft a franchise QB with the #1 pick then I would rather just go Tackle in the second as well. McCoy and Tebow have the potential to be good but I just don't think they warrant a second round pick, especially with the quality of tackles that will be available for us near the top of the second.

In fact even though it's usually a throw away pick we might just be better off hoping that LeFevour or Pike falls to the fourth.

Still I would rather take one of the top 2 QB's and take Bulaga (T Iowa) or Brown (T USC) in the second.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #102
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,506
Dirtbags Dirty Tackle Rankings

Overall:
1. Russell Okung (T Oklahoma State) - Grade 99 - Not only does he have the size to play LT but he also moves very well. Only regret is not seeing more video of him run blocking. Still he is flat out dominant.

2. Bryan Bulaga (T Iowa) - Grade 90 - Mauler with great feet. Never gives up on the play, and in fact sometimes goes just a little past the whistle. Actually reminds me of Robert Gallery coming out of college, hopefully the pro version isn't the same.

3. Trent Williams (T Oklahoma) - Grade 90 - Trent Williams didn't have a very sexy video but at the same time he rarely did anything wrong, in fact Bradford and Landry were rarely ever touched never mind pressured on his account.

4. Charles Brown (T USC) - Grade 89 - Easily the most intriguing player. He actually might move better then Okung. He is absolutley perfect as a zone blocker and does an excellent job of getting to the second level. His pass protection isn't to shabby either. Only thing that worries me about him in pass protection though is his ability to consistently handle the bull rush (he handled it well a few times) as well as the fact that I caught him bending at the hips a few times.

5. Bruce Campbell (T Maryland) - Grade 89 - Consistently held his ground and did a very good job in pass protection. Also seemed pretty strong as a run blocker as well.

6. Vladamir Ducasse (T/G UMass) - Grade 85 - Personally he easily has the largest upside. The good news is his floor isn't as low as Todd McShay would have you believe. At the Senior Bowl today Ducasse faired very well against top competition. The only problem I had with him in the game were there were a few times where he seemed to be out of position when pass blocking but they can be easily corrected with coaching. His size, footwork, and power are all there.

7. Anthony Davis (T Rutgers) - Grade 80 - How is this guy a top 10 prospect? Never mind a first rounder? Gave up on plays, constantly pushed back into the QB, and sloppy footwork were among the things I saw. There must be some more flattering film of him somewhere else but I did not like what I saw. Only reason I don't give him a 70 is solely due to benefit of the doubt from experienced scouts.

For the Redskins:
1. Russell Okung
2. Charles Brown
3. Bryan Bulaga
4. Vladamir Ducasse
5. Trent Williams
6. Bruce Campbell
7. Anthony Davis

Incomplete: Selvish Capers (West Virginia).

Speaking of Notre Dame, one guy that intrigues me is Sam Young as a potential late round pick that could develop at RT. Young has a great frame and reminds me a little of Ryan Harris, the last Notre Dame Tackle Shanahan drafted for the Bronocs, except for the fact that Young has great size. Wouldn't trust him though at LT but he could be quite the find as a RT.
__________________
6.6710−11 m3 kg−1 s−2

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG

Last edited by Dirtbag59; 01-30-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36028 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25