Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 PM   #181
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

I still haven't heard a definitive argument as to why Bradford is a clear cut #1 pick and Clausen isn't.

For the record, I don't love either of them. But if the 'Skins draft one, I'd rather have Clausen.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #182
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

^ just for me, I'm worried about Clausen's ability to lead NFL players. They say he is a cocky jerk who does not inspire others to follow. I fear that rather than being able to rally the troops like a good QB should, others will tune him out because they are fatigued of his jerkiness. That is, he could become a Jay Schroeder. What do you say to this? Should I have this concern?

I'm not in love with others and would not mind too much if we drafted Clausen. But you asked, and that is my question. From what I understand about Bradford, I do not have the same concern about him.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #183
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,080
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I still haven't heard a definitive argument as to why Bradford is a clear cut #1 pick and Clausen isn't.

For the record, I don't love either of them. But if the 'Skins draft one, I'd rather have Clausen.
Is there ever a clear cut #1 player?
Was #1 Stafford better than #5 Sanchez?
Micheal Jordan was even not a #1.
This is not a science.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #184
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
^ just for me, I'm worried about Clausen's ability to lead NFL players. They say he is a cocky jerk who does not inspire others to follow. I fear that rather than being able to rally the troops like a good QB should, others will tune him out because they are fatigued of his jerkiness. That is, he could become a Jay Schroeder. What do you say to this? Should I have this concern?

I'm not in love with others and would not mind too much if we drafted Clausen. But you asked, and that is my question. From what I understand about Bradford, I do not have the same concern about him.
From what I've heard about Jay Shroeder, he was just an all-around asshole 24/7. He was very aloof and he didn't even get along with guys on the offensive line. But hey, I don't know Jay Shroeder so take it with a grain of salt.

But we can't have it both ways. People say Campbell is too soft, not vocal enough, and somehow infer that he's not a passionate and capable leader. And now Clausen is too cocky and incapable of leading players. Well we don't know that for sure, do we? I tend to be in the camp if you're winning leadership takes care of itself. I think there really is a fine line between being an asshole and being passionate.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #185
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
I still haven't heard a definitive argument as to why Bradford is a clear cut #1 pick and Clausen isn't.

For the record, I don't love either of them. But if the 'Skins draft one, I'd rather have Clausen.
There's not really any argument outside of the physical skills. Physically, what Clausen does very well, Bradford does a little better.

Neither is a huge red flag franchise killer type, like a Russell or Alex Smith. But there's also nothing special here. When people have to reference an "it" factor to make an argument in favor of one guy over the other, they're probably bs'ing.

I believe the Clausen/Bradford debate is essentially meaningless, but like you, I believe it's more dangerous in the case of Bradford because with Clausen there's a wide spectrum of opinion, as one should expect. He's probably somewhere between what McShay/Mayock think of him, and what Kiper think of him. There should also be that wide spectrum with Bradford, but dangerously (I think), people are willing to overlook it. They're not willing to overlook it with Clausen, which means he's going to get drafted at value, while Bradford is almost destined to be overdrafted.

Bradford is probably a lot closer to Clausen than anyone seems to expect. Which is fine if the Rams get him, because I don't care about the Rams. Hopefully, they add a receiver and he gets good.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #186
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

I don't know, I caught a lot of Notre Dame games last year and more than anything Clausen's toughness impressed the hell out of me.

And we can't underestimate the fact that he played in a pro style offense under old Charlie.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #187
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Yeah, I'd love to get Jared Gaither for a second as well.
hahahahaha
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #188
Gamebreaker
 
tryfuhl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waldorf, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 12,514
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
From what I've heard about Jay Shroeder, he was just an all-around asshole 24/7. He was very aloof and he didn't even get along with guys on the offensive line. But hey, I don't Jay Shroeder so take it with a grain of salt.

But we can't have it both ways. People say Campbell is too soft, not vocal enough, and somehow infer that he's not a passionate and capable leader. And now Clausen is too cocky and incapable of leading players. Well we don't know that for sure, do we? I tend to be in the camp if you're winning leadership takes care of itself. I think there really is a fine line between being an asshole and being passionate.
Exactly

One solution: get Tebow!

haha
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #189
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 27
Posts: 15,994
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Where I believe the fallacy is in this draft, is that Bradford and Clausen are comfortably the top two prospects at the quarterback position. This is simply not true. They are, perhaps, the easiest to identify, but to draw a conclusion as theres a big dropoff after them would imply the the QB class is complete crap on the level of the 2007 class. Which, it isn't. It's quite good.

Regardless of what you think of my Colt McCoy assessment, there's plenty of room to disagree on single prospects. On the macro level, it's safe to say that there are incorrect assumptions being made by NFL types, and that's for certain.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #190
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

I know. You would think they are the only two quarterbacks in the draft listening to the pundits and internet chatter.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #191
The Starter
 
TheSmurfs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,253
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Let the Seahawks have Clausen, hell let them take Bradford too! I really hope the Skins are just blowing smoke and are not going to use their first pick on a a QB.
__________________
F#$% the Cowpukes!
TheSmurfs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #192
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan View Post
From what I've heard about Jay Shroeder, he was just an all-around asshole 24/7. He was very aloof and he didn't even get along with guys on the offensive line. But hey, I don't know Jay Shroeder so take it with a grain of salt.

But we can't have it both ways. People say Campbell is too soft, not vocal enough, and somehow infer that he's not a passionate and capable leader. And now Clausen is too cocky and incapable of leading players. Well we don't know that for sure, do we? I tend to be in the camp if you're winning leadership takes care of itself. I think there really is a fine line between being an asshole and being passionate.
That's what I've heard about Clausen. I don't know if it is true. But I do remember Redskins teams which did better with Schroeder on the bench. The offense's dislike of him showed on the field, it seemed to me at the time.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #193
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA- via VA
Age: 37
Posts: 635
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That's what I've heard about Clausen. I don't know if it is true. But I do remember Redskins teams which did better with Schroeder on the bench. The offense's dislike of him showed on the field, it seemed to me at the time.
Hmm, I seem to remember something of this.. I believe someone rose up to Superbowl MVP and someone else slid into obscurity..
__________________
Hail to The REDSKINS
Redskin Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #194
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin Jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Orleans, LA- via VA
Age: 37
Posts: 635
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmurfs22 View Post
Let the Seahawks have Clausen, hell let them take Bradford too! I really hope the Skins are just blowing smoke and are not going to use their first pick on a a QB.
I have always been of this mindset, I do really hope for an OT for our first pick, whether at #4 or after a trade down. If we do take a QB with our first pick, I will say it again, Bradford. Too much not to like about Clausen's personality. Just my ...
__________________
Hail to The REDSKINS
Redskin Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #195
MVP
 
12thMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: washington, D.C.
Posts: 11,458
Re: Jimmy Clausen has met with the Redskins

There's no question we can trade down and still get a quality offensive tackle in the first round.

I think ShanAllen (who said that?) are going to make one more big splash between now and draft day.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31170 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25