Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #91
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I'm worried that if we get Tebow.. he makes some money after a few/handful of years, gets hurt and decides that he's made enough he'll just do his mission thing instead of coming back to football. I mean it's obvious that he works pretty hard and is dedicated to the game, at least the levels he's played at, but there's always that question at the back of my mind. I think that there are other project QBs out there, Tebow in the 4th would be fine with me.. MAYBE the 3rd if we had one, but aren't there better prospects in the 2nd?
He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would quit before he is sure he can't make it. I agree with your other point though. I do not think a QB that is changing his throwing motion in the middle of draft season should be even considered as a 2nd round pick. He is basically admitting that he's a project by fooling with his mechanics now. You don't draft projects in the 2nd round. IMO Tebow makes sense from late 3rd on.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #92
Special Teams
 
ChickenMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario,Ca
Age: 41
Posts: 274
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Way too many holes to fill on the OL and the OLB,ILB & RB to waste a pick on Tebow in the 2nd round...A second round pick should be counted on to produce in his first year...It would be a stupid move....Javid Best may be there in the 2nd, Sean whitherspoon(OLB)
or Maurice Ouncey(G/C)...why waste a 2nd on a backup QB that may never start???? We already have 2 2nd round passcatchers that havent panned out yet!!!!
ChickenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #93
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,651
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
NO to tebow! He can't read NFL defenses and even with his new delivery he's still slow at throwing the ball.
He has a 3.72 GPA, and loves the game of football more then anything. I'm pretty convinced that he can be coached to properly read defenses. Plus I wouldn't say he's nearly as slow as the scouts have made him out to be. When I heard his release described I had visions of Byron Leftwich however it turns out that he's much quicker then I anticipated. Certainly average without the new coaching and abvoe average with it.

He's also got one hell of an arm. And keep in mind, Big Ben has a pretty slow release himself.

Quote:
How many hours a week would you estimate you watch film? Coach Mullen was saying the later in the season, the more you watch because there’s more to digest. And I know that you do this all on your own, they don’t force you.

I would say over 20.
Remember this is a guy who will not bear false witness or errrr lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I'm worried that if we get Tebow.. he makes some money after a few/handful of years, gets hurt and decides that he's made enough he'll just do his mission thing instead of coming back to football. I mean it's obvious that he works pretty hard and is dedicated to the game, at least the levels he's played at, but there's always that question at the back of my mind. I think that there are other project QBs out there, Tebow in the 4th would be fine with me.. MAYBE the 3rd if we had one, but aren't there better prospects in the 2nd?
What is with this kick about first Myron Rolle and now Tim Tebow. All the time we wish for players that are smart and well rounded. Now all of a sudden they're to smart, to wholesome. Do we need a picture of them with a Thai hooker to bring them back down to earth? We have enough premadonnas in the league, it's about time we raised our standards a little. And look at it this way Tebow would balance out the trash that is Larry Johnson.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #94
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would quit before he is sure he can't make it. I agree with your other point though. I do not think a QB that is changing his throwing motion in the middle of draft season should be even considered as a 2nd round pick. He is basically admitting that he's a project by fooling with his mechanics now. You don't draft projects in the 2nd round. IMO Tebow makes sense from late 3rd on.
For those that don't think "projects" should be taken in the 2nd round, remember Aaron Rodgers. Great college numbers, seen as a solid prospect, but really had to change his throwing motion, just like Tebow. Rodgers was drafted in the late the first round and sat for a few years. Now he's an elite QB.

Obviously everyone around here knows I'm a huge Tebow fan. Maybe he's not a fit for us, maybe he is. I don't know. But the recent report (I think from Redskins Insider, don't remember exactly where I read it) saying that Shanahan wants to "draft a QB and raise him," seems like a plan that may work with Tebow. All accounts from the combine is that Tebow is extremely coachable and was really impressive at the chalkboard during the classroom sessions. I think if he sat for a year or two behind Campbell or whomever and continue to work on the mechanics, he could step in and be a solid NFL starter.

One thing you know without a doubt if you draft Tebow- you're going to get 100% all in effort from the kid. He's been a first guy in last guy out type of player his entire life. He has every single thing you want in a football player, except for a throwing motion. And look how much he improved that in 5 weeks.

End rant reflecting unabashed man-crush...
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #95
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
NO to tebow! He can't read NFL defenses and even with his new delivery he's still slow at throwing the ball.
Really?? How many games has he played in the NFL? I suppose Cult Brennan is a better choice? lol.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #96
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,651
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Really?? How many games has he played in the NFL? I suppose Cult Brennan is a better choice? lol.
Actually I think he's making fun of the cult with his SN. I doubt he's a Brennan supporter.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #97
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
For those that don't think "projects" should be taken in the 2nd round, remember Aaron Rodgers. Great college numbers, seen as a solid prospect, but really had to change his throwing motion, just like Tebow. Rodgers was drafted in the late the first round and sat for a few years. Now he's an elite QB.

Obviously everyone around here knows I'm a huge Tebow fan. Maybe he's not a fit for us, maybe he is. I don't know. But the recent report (I think from Redskins Insider, don't remember exactly where I read it) saying that Shanahan wants to "draft a QB and raise him," seems like a plan that may work with Tebow. All accounts from the combine is that Tebow is extremely coachable and was really impressive at the chalkboard during the classroom sessions. I think if he sat for a year or two behind Campbell or whomever and continue to work on the mechanics, he could step in and be a solid NFL starter.

One thing you know without a doubt if you draft Tebow- you're going to get 100% all in effort from the kid. He's been a first guy in last guy out type of player his entire life. He has every single thing you want in a football player, except for a throwing motion. And look how much he improved that in 5 weeks.

End rant reflecting unabashed man-crush...
You make some good points but I have a couple issues. I think you may be over estimating by classifying Rodgers as a project. The guy was considered by most to be a top 10 pick in the draft but ended up slipping on draft day. He was even in the mix to be the top pick for a while.

Also what if Campbell can't do it and that's obvious by October 2010? I am not willing to wait 2 years for Tebow to be ready. That is my main issue with him. Maybe he can develop...but it seems to me that maybe there are other QB's available that Shanny could develop faster. I don't want to be sitting around in 2011 playing Sexxy or Campbell because Tebow still isn't ready.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #98
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,392
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

I wonder how Billy Kilmer would be graded today?
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #99
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,690
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

I take Tebow in the 2nd he has grown on me and it would create a lot of drama around here! It may divide this board like the famous kool-aid days.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #100
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,792
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

And we thought things were bad with the Cult of Colt?

Can you imagine the Temple of Tebow?
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #101
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
You make some good points but I have a couple issues. I think you may be over estimating by classifying Rodgers as a project. The guy was considered by most to be a top 10 pick in the draft but ended up slipping on draft day. He was even in the mix to be the top pick for a while.

Also what if Campbell can't do it and that's obvious by October 2010? I am not willing to wait 2 years for Tebow to be ready. That is my main issue with him. Maybe he can develop...but it seems to me that maybe there are other QB's available that Shanny could develop faster. I don't want to be sitting around in 2011 playing Sexxy or Campbell because Tebow still isn't ready.
Well, I highly doubt Campbell flops so badly that Grossman becomes a better option. And are any rookie qbs really "ready?" I mean, it's a relative term. Bradford is certainly more "ready" right now than Tebow, but neither of them would out-perform Campbell in 2010.

Not that I'm advocating it, but I think Grossman was brought in precisely for this reason- if Campbell flops or gets hurt, we've got a guy who has started plenty of games in the NFL that can be a stop-gap so we don't have to throw the rookie to the wolves.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #102
The Starter
 
warpaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Great State of Texas
Posts: 1,006
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
What is with this kick about first Myron Rolle and now Tim Tebow. All the time we wish for players that are smart and well rounded. Now all of a sudden they're to smart, to wholesome. Do we need a picture of them with a Thai hooker to bring them back down to earth? We have enough premadonnas in the league, it's about time we raised our standards a little. And look at it this way Tebow would balance out the trash that is Larry Johnson.
Agreed.

Every draft expert would rather take Fragile Bradford #1 over Concrete Cyanide.

Myron Rolle isnt even considered a first rounder just because he is a Rhodes Scholar I think he is projected 4th rounder he could be gem if still around for us.
__________________
"Not only do you get a 1st down, but you get a whole new set of downs" John Madden
warpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #103
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,677
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Jevan Snead looking strong today at Ole Miss Pro Day.

McCluster apparently ran under a 4.4, interesting that a lot of teams are looking at him only as a WR
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #104
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Well, I highly doubt Campbell flops so badly that Grossman becomes a better option. And are any rookie qbs really "ready?" I mean, it's a relative term. Bradford is certainly more "ready" right now than Tebow, but neither of them would out-perform Campbell in 2010.

Not that I'm advocating it, but I think Grossman was brought in precisely for this reason- if Campbell flops or gets hurt, we've got a guy who has started plenty of games in the NFL that can be a stop-gap so we don't have to throw the rookie to the wolves.
I believe with Shanny coaching them that Bradford certainly and possibly Clausen could be a better option then Campbell. At minimum with conservative play calling they could do as well. In reality we know what Campbell is...he's a guy who will play okay...not make a lot of mistakes but not make a lot of big plays either.

The longer it takes to get Shanny's QB up to speed the longer it will take for the Redskins to compete for a championship. In my eyes sitting around in 2011 with anyone other then the long term answer at QB lining up under center is huge waste of time.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #105
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,792
Re: Updated: Redskins to hold private workouts with Tebow and Bradford

Despite how trendy it's been lately to play a rookie QB from day 1, I don't like the idea unless you have a strong cast around him, which we don't have.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32851 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25