Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Hopefully Russell Okung is available and our choice in the 1st rd to secure the LT position for the next decade. I feel that he is the safe and secure pick, and will deliver solid line play at a Pro-Bowl level.

Securing LT in the 1st is only a start, the team needs to address the RT position as well before camp starts. Not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick makes projecting availability in the later rounds a near impossibility. 2nd-3rd rd options such as Saffold, Veldheer, Ducasse, and Fox will most likely be gone when the Skins select the 103rd player.

Selvish Capers, OT from West Virginia should be in the mix as a late 3rd, early 4th rd selection. He is 6'5", 308 lbs, a converted TE who has experience at both Tackle and Guard positions. He has the athleticism and skill-set to be a Zone Blocking RT. He is raw and needs to add some weight, but he could be a good fit and possible selection. I'll spare the long write-up; he has weaknesses, but his upside is enticing, and most teams will pass on him as he looks to be made more for a Zone Blocking Offense.

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/566427?tag=pageRow;pageContainer


http://http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Selvish-Capers.html

http://http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Selvish-Capers.php

jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2010, 01:05 AM   #2
The Starter
 
rbanerjee23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,436
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

not super convincing... lots of fall downs, some decent blocking but pretty spotty overall just on the basis of this one piece of film
__________________
"Tough times don't last but tough people do"

-Mike Shanahan

HTTR
rbanerjee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,729
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Kyle Calloway (Iowa) and Jason Fox (Miami). Fox is one of those guys that was considered a lock for a first round pick at one point but had injury problems. Edwin Veldheer (Hillsdale) is probably my favorite but he could easily go as early as the 2nd round if the run on Tackles gets really serious.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Capers is somewhat highly rated, at least as a possible 3rd round pick. Unfortunately once we get into the 4th round and later, we are digging through scraps looking for a nice juicey T-bone.

Alex Gibbs, ZBS guru, said that he looks for converted Tight Ends for his linemen because of their athleticism and quick release off the line. Many of the other potential linemen don't project well in a ZBS. I don't see how we can get out of this draft without getting at least 2 O-linemen.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Kyle Calloway (Iowa) and Jason Fox (Miami). Fox is one of those guys that was considered a lock for a first round pick at one point but had injury problems. Edwin Veldheer (Hillsdale) is probably my favorite but he could easily go as early as the 2nd round if the run on Tackles gets really serious.
Calloway is painfully slow and looks more like a power scheme blocker. I like Veldheer a lot, and would love to grab him in the 4th, but expect him gone in the mid 3rd. Fox has 2 major injury issues, but if he checks out medically, he would be a great fit. I would go Veldheer, Fox- if healthy, and then Capers.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 AM   #6
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,729
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

I could easily see Capers being this years Duke Robinson.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Tripp has seen Veldheer give up a sack

Capers, I believe I've mentioned here, was high on the Redskins radar screen for a while. As they don't have a 2nd round pick currently I'm not sure where he stands for them at this time
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc65 View Post
Capers is somewhat highly rated, at least as a possible 3rd round pick. Unfortunately once we get into the 4th round and later, we are digging through scraps looking for a nice juicey T-bone.

Alex Gibbs, ZBS guru, said that he looks for converted Tight Ends for his linemen because of their athleticism and quick release off the line. Many of the other potential linemen don't project well in a ZBS. I don't see how we can get out of this draft without getting at least 2 O-linemen.
A guy we might check out that's been joked about here is Ed Wang of Va. Tech. He's a converted TE that played LT last year. He's projected in the 5th to 6th I believe.

He's another of the "project" guys in that he'll likely need a year or two, but he's got the athletic ability for the scheme. Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, they should draft him just to give him #69!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
Impact Rookie
 
johno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southwest, DC
Posts: 599
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Tripp has seen Veldheer give up a sack

Capers, I believe I've mentioned here, was high on the Redskins radar screen for a while. As they don't have a 2nd round pick currently I'm not sure where he stands for them at this time


in general, is it feasible to take a RT in the 4th and expect him to start? seems like a stretch.
__________________
fight for old dc.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,436
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Jason Fox is a very good football player, particularly in pass protection. It is only his injury history that has caused him to drop in the draft projections. If he checks out, he could be a 4th round steal. I think he could play LT, as well as RT.

I know that Ed Wang has gotten a lot of holding penalties, but I think he would be a good 4th round pick, as well. He is athletic, he has great size and long arms, and he seemed to stand out whenever I watched VT play. I think he could become a very good RT.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,893
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
A guy we might check out that's been joked about here is Ed Wang of Va. Tech. He's a converted TE that played LT last year. He's projected in the 5th to 6th I believe.

He's another of the "project" guys in that he'll likely need a year or two, but he's got the athletic ability for the scheme. Also, as someone pointed out in another thread, they should draft him just to give him #69!
We've definitely met with Wang a couple of times. I could certainly see him in the 5th or 6th

But as long as we're talking converted Tight Ends, give me Charles Brown
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Wang in the 5th is a possibilty, he would fit the scheme. Brown would be an ideal fit if we could drop down in the 20s. If we could trade the 4 pick for a late 1st and an early 2nd, and then scoop up Brown AND Saffold, our Tackle situation would be resolved for a decade.
Generally I agree about Best Player Available, but we need to get 2 O-linemen out of this draft somehow, somewhere in my opinion.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Playmaker
 
Slingin Sammy 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 4,341
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

He struggled in a big way at the Senior Bowl. Make no mistake, Capers is a project (think Rinehart).

Selvish Capers*|*West Virginia,*OT*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
__________________
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Special Teams
 
jdc65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 246
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
He struggled in a big way at the Senior Bowl. Make no mistake, Capers is a project (think Rinehart).

Selvish Capers*|*West Virginia,*OT*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
Yea, that's the problem. Once you get into the 4th round, everyone really is a project. Capers definately wouldn't be able to start in week 1, but he does have upside and he fits.

Of the linemen that I have looked over, he seems to be the best fit in the 4th round range. There will be some sleeper guys available in the 5th and later, but who knows anything about them?

The team could also look at RB or Defense for a 4th rd selection. I just hope the team has their good scouting goggles on because we need multiple picks to be productive this year.
jdc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 45
Posts: 3,433
Re: Right Tackle prospect to look for in the 4th round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Jason Fox is a very good football player, particularly in pass protection. It is only his injury history that has caused him to drop in the draft projections. If he checks out, he could be a 4th round steal. I think he could play LT, as well as RT.

I know that Ed Wang has gotten a lot of holding penalties, but I think he would be a good 4th round pick, as well. He is athletic, he has great size and long arms, and he seemed to stand out whenever I watched VT play. I think he could become a very good RT.
If we don't trade our #4 pick for more picks then Fox in the 4th rd would be a steal, i believe one of his medical problems was an irregular heartbeat.

Last edited by NYCskinfan82; 04-14-2010 at 09:40 PM.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29272 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25