Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2011 NFL Draft

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #511
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,018
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Here's Matt Bowen's latest mock draft...

The Player's top ten mock draft | National Football Post

Sidenote: I am really enjoying reading Matt Bowen's work on NFP and following on Twitter.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #512
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,776
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Here's Matt Bowen's latest mock draft...

The Player's top ten mock draft | National Football Post

Sidenote: I am really enjoying reading Matt Bowen's work on NFP and following on Twitter.
Yeah his stuff is pretty good, I really like his articles on schemes and breaking down plays.

I wouldn't hate grabbing Quinn at #10 at all.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #513
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think five years from now from this class the QB's who will be good in the NFL are:
Mallett
Stanzi
McElroy

Decent QB's with one great season, but up and down other seasons:
Cam Newton

Nobodies/ out of the league in a few years:
Ponder
Locker
Gabbert
Dalton
I have no idea which ones will be good...I like some personally better then others but i don't really know. My point is only that if Shanny sees a guy in this draft that HE thinks can be his franchise QB then i want them to be aggressive about getting him. Don't sit back and hope...make it happen.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #514
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Here's Matt Bowen's latest mock draft...

The Player's top ten mock draft | National Football Post

Sidenote: I am really enjoying reading Matt Bowen's work on NFP and following on Twitter.
No O-linemen until #19? I can't see that happening.

He has Pittsburgh taking Pouncey too.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #515
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,645
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

I will say this. The QB class is ALWAYS weak. We need to get used to it. In fact in retrospect it's usually the guy that no one expected to be succeed that ends up being the bell of the ball.

Some perspective.

The weakest class in recent memory was 2000, where Chad Pennington was the top ranked QB. He was picked 17th overall yet when healthy was among the leagues top QB's including a season where he led the 1-15 Dolphins to 11-5.

In 2005 people also labeled the QB class as weak. The only reason Alex Smith was picked number one overall was because San Fran was desperate to do something at the QB position. Aaron Rodgers then proceeded to drop to the 24th spot. "Teams must have passed him up for a reason." Turns out the reason was that no one knew how to evaluate QB's that year except Green Bay.

Few people thought Matt Ryan was that great of a pick. His college stats were underwhelming and he was labeled as having accuracy issues. Everyone knows you build in the trenches and the Falcons were foolishly passing on Glenn Dorsey. Ryan was going to a team that gave up over 50 sacks the year before. He is now the only QB in franchise history to lead the Falcons to back to back winning seasons.

On draft day most of you thought that Joe Flacco would take years to "develop" and why not, he came from a shotgun spread attack at an FCS school. Today is among the most highly respected young QB's in the game.

Josh Freeman. What a wasted pick right? Tampa was drafting Jason Campbell 2.0. Look at this guy. Best season is 20 TD's and 8 Ints. Never led his team to anything big. Career completion percentage under 60%. Man terrible pick. "Oh but his arm is strong." Big whoop. He'll be a bust.

2004 was a strong class, but that was if you were in position to get Rivers or Manning. The Steelers got the left overs in Big Ben, who has gone on to be the most prestigious QB of the class.

2006. Well as long as you could get Young or Leinart you were able to talk about how strong the class was as you had two remarkable college QB's. One with outrageous physical talent that was able to show clutch on college football's biggest stage. And another who played in a pro style offense for a national championship team. But wait, now those two are off the board? Is the class still strong? All I see is Jay Cutler? He played at Vanderbilt, and wasn't able to do much stat wise. He has a strong arm but how many times have we've seen that mean nothing?

People please repeat it with me. "THE QB CLASS IS NEVER STRONG ON DRAFT DAY." Scouts poke and prod these guys left and right and find virtually every reason why they won't succeed. The fact of the matter is we have no idea how most of them will turn out. If we had drafted most of the above guys on draft day (particularly guys like Freeman or Flacco) most of you would have had a cow.

Forget the strong class concept. We're not building a QB stable. We need one guy to throw the ball. That's it. No one is running a two or three QB offense. If we find that guy that can give us stability at the games most important position we have to take him, even if it means taking the rest of you kicking and screaming.

Next years class is always stronger then this years class when it comes speculation. It's the new Vet min. The funny thing is the guys that people are looking at next year when labeling a class are the guys we're never in position to draft (*read Andrew Luck*).

*End Rant*
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #516
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Sundberg was horrible, so here's the successor to Albright's throne:



Heck, maybe he can replace Rabach too.



Player Bio: Zach Enyeart - WASHINGTON STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #517
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Next years class is always stronger then this years class when it comes speculation. It's the new Vet min. The funny thing is the guys that people are looking at next year when labeling a class are the guys we're never in position to draft (*read Andrew Luck*).
*End Rant*
Good rant though.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #518
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I will say this. The QB class is ALWAYS weak. We need to get used to it. In fact in retrospect it's usually the guy that no one expected to be succeed that ends up being the bell of the ball.

Some perspective.

The weakest class in recent memory was 2000, where Chad Pennington was the top ranked QB. He was picked 17th overall yet when healthy was among the leagues top QB's including a season where he led the 1-15 Dolphins to 11-5.

In 2005 people also labeled the QB class as weak. The only reason Alex Smith was picked number one overall was because San Fran was desperate to do something at the QB position. Aaron Rodgers then proceeded to drop to the 24th spot. "Teams must have passed him up for a reason." Turns out the reason was that no one knew how to evaluate QB's that year except Green Bay.

Few people thought Matt Ryan was that great of a pick. His college stats were underwhelming and he was labeled as having accuracy issues. Everyone knows you build in the trenches and the Falcons were foolishly passing on Glenn Dorsey. Ryan was going to a team that gave up over 50 sacks the year before. He is now the only QB in franchise history to lead the Falcons to back to back winning seasons.

On draft day most of you thought that Joe Flacco would take years to "develop" and why not, he came from a shotgun spread attack at an FCS school. Today is among the most highly respected young QB's in the game.

Josh Freeman. What a wasted pick right? Tampa was drafting Jason Campbell 2.0. Look at this guy. Best season is 20 TD's and 8 Ints. Never led his team to anything big. Career completion percentage under 60%. Man terrible pick. "Oh but his arm is strong." Big whoop. He'll be a bust.

2004 was a strong class, but that was if you were in position to get Rivers or Manning. The Steelers got the left overs in Big Ben, who has gone on to be the most prestigious QB of the class.

2006. Well as long as you could get Young or Leinart you were able to talk about how strong the class was as you had two remarkable college QB's. One with outrageous physical talent that was able to show clutch on college football's biggest stage. And another who played in a pro style offense for a national championship team. But wait, now those two are off the board? Is the class still strong? All I see is Jay Cutler? He played at Vanderbilt, and wasn't able to do much stat wise. He has a strong arm but how many times have we've seen that mean nothing?

People please repeat it with me. "THE QB CLASS IS NEVER STRONG ON DRAFT DAY." Scouts poke and prod these guys left and right and find virtually every reason why they won't succeed. The fact of the matter is we have no idea how most of them will turn out. If we had drafted most of the above guys on draft day (particularly guys like Freeman or Flacco) most of you would have had a cow.

Forget the strong class concept. We're not building a QB stable. We need one guy to throw the ball. That's it. No one is running a two or three QB offense. If we find that guy that can give us stability at the games most important position we have to take him, even if it means taking the rest of you kicking and screaming.

Next years class is always stronger then this years class when it comes speculation. It's the new Vet min. The funny thing is the guys that people are looking at next year when labeling a class are the guys we're never in position to draft (*read Andrew Luck*).

*End Rant*
The fact that I like 5 different guys in this class to *eventually* become NFL starters is more due to a high point in the cyclical QB demand cycle. But it's also the depth of the class.

Remember, last year was a "strong" QB class, but part of that strength was knowing who to take from McCoy/Clausen/Tebow. There wasn't a great amount of depth in the draft after that. I liked Pike and LeFevour, but they would have rated below Stanzi/Tolzien/McElroy in the same class.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #519
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,644
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
The fact that I like 5 different guys in this class to *eventually* become NFL starters is more due to a high point in the cyclical QB demand cycle. But it's also the depth of the class.

Remember, last year was a "strong" QB class, but part of that strength was knowing who to take from McCoy/Clausen/Tebow. There wasn't a great amount of depth in the draft after that. I liked Pike and LeFevour, but they would have rated below Stanzi/Tolzien/McElroy in the same class.
I would agree last year was a fairly strong crop. This years to me, there is are no Bradfords and maybe a Colt, but many Tebows.

Tripp, you got any draft rankings/ratings/grades for this year?
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #520
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,645
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Good rant though.
Thanks. TigerBlood is flowing pretty strong today #winning.

Speaking of which, you know who's not winning? Von freaking Miller.
Quote:
Linebacker Von Miller confirmed in a radio interview this week that his dream scenario is to be drafted by the Dallas Cowboys, though it appears unlikely that this dream will become reality given the Cowboys' draft position. But another team with a proud history looking to return to the playoffs is quite interested -- and Miller's first contract would be quite a bit more lucrative if this other team drafted him.
Also I think Mel Kiper just won himself a couple more fans in DC.
Quote:
Kiper believes Mike Shanahan would be attracted to is TCU's Andy Dalton, whom Kiper expects to go early in the second round, anywhere from 33rd to 45th overall. Washington's second pick is 41st overall. As a senior, Dalton passed for 2,857 yards, 27 touchdowns, eight interceptions and was sacked eight times
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #521
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard View Post
Who is Aldon Smith?
Lol I've already explained this to another guy, Smith is a very young and raw LB/DE from MIZZ, big time potential compared to guys like Pierre-Paul and A Greg Ellis type build. He was almost unblockable at times last yr.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #522
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
I would agree last year was a fairly strong crop. This years to me, there is are no Bradfords and maybe a Colt, but many Tebows.

Tripp, you got any draft rankings/ratings/grades for this year?
This was a bit hastily thrown together, so it probably will change a lot. It's info-packed, but probably not as accurate as I like and relies on conventional wisdom/common opinion more than I usually do since I've had about half as much time as last year to look at film cutups.

The Post Combine Mega-NFL Draft Post, Players by Round « LiveBall Sports
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM   #523
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,644
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
This was a bit hastily thrown together, so it probably will change a lot. It's info-packed, but probably not as accurate as I like and relies on conventional wisdom/common opinion more than I usually do since I've had about half as much time as last year to look at film cutups.

The Post Combine Mega-NFL Draft Post, Players by Round « LiveBall Sports
Good stuff. Got me thinking that the Oline has some talent in there that not getting talked about. If you pulled a Vinny-Zorn special and had 3 2nd round picks, instead of getting all recievers, you could probably walk away 3 high-ceiling potential starters up front.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline  
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #524
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I will say this. The QB class is ALWAYS weak. We need to get used to it. In fact in retrospect it's usually the guy that no one expected to be succeed that ends up being the bell of the ball.

Some perspective.

The weakest class in recent memory was 2000, where Chad Pennington was the top ranked QB. He was picked 17th overall yet when healthy was among the leagues top QB's including a season where he led the 1-15 Dolphins to 11-5.

In 2005 people also labeled the QB class as weak. The only reason Alex Smith was picked number one overall was because San Fran was desperate to do something at the QB position. Aaron Rodgers then proceeded to drop to the 24th spot. "Teams must have passed him up for a reason." Turns out the reason was that no one knew how to evaluate QB's that year except Green Bay.

Few people thought Matt Ryan was that great of a pick. His college stats were underwhelming and he was labeled as having accuracy issues. Everyone knows you build in the trenches and the Falcons were foolishly passing on Glenn Dorsey. Ryan was going to a team that gave up over 50 sacks the year before. He is now the only QB in franchise history to lead the Falcons to back to back winning seasons.

On draft day most of you thought that Joe Flacco would take years to "develop" and why not, he came from a shotgun spread attack at an FCS school. Today is among the most highly respected young QB's in the game.

Josh Freeman. What a wasted pick right? Tampa was drafting Jason Campbell 2.0. Look at this guy. Best season is 20 TD's and 8 Ints. Never led his team to anything big. Career completion percentage under 60%. Man terrible pick. "Oh but his arm is strong." Big whoop. He'll be a bust.

2004 was a strong class, but that was if you were in position to get Rivers or Manning. The Steelers got the left overs in Big Ben, who has gone on to be the most prestigious QB of the class.

2006. Well as long as you could get Young or Leinart you were able to talk about how strong the class was as you had two remarkable college QB's. One with outrageous physical talent that was able to show clutch on college football's biggest stage. And another who played in a pro style offense for a national championship team. But wait, now those two are off the board? Is the class still strong? All I see is Jay Cutler? He played at Vanderbilt, and wasn't able to do much stat wise. He has a strong arm but how many times have we've seen that mean nothing?

People please repeat it with me. "THE QB CLASS IS NEVER STRONG ON DRAFT DAY." Scouts poke and prod these guys left and right and find virtually every reason why they won't succeed. The fact of the matter is we have no idea how most of them will turn out. If we had drafted most of the above guys on draft day (particularly guys like Freeman or Flacco) most of you would have had a cow.

Forget the strong class concept. We're not building a QB stable. We need one guy to throw the ball. That's it. No one is running a two or three QB offense. If we find that guy that can give us stability at the games most important position we have to take him, even if it means taking the rest of you kicking and screaming.

Next years class is always stronger then this years class when it comes speculation. It's the new Vet min. The funny thing is the guys that people are looking at next year when labeling a class are the guys we're never in position to draft (*read Andrew Luck*).

*End Rant*
This is no "rant", it's an armchair scout/GM's coming of age! Great post, probably the best I've read about QBs in the draft. Better points & reserch than any no. of media articles on the subject.

The case or A. Rodgers is really compelling; it was as if a bunch of teams just got scared to pick the kid. We could've had him at #9!
freddyg12 is offline  
Old 03-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #525
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Thanks. TigerBlood is flowing pretty strong today #winning.

Speaking of which, you know who's not winning? Von freaking Miller.


Also I think Mel Kiper just won himself a couple more fans in DC.
I'd love to get Dalton in the 2nd. Here's hoping Kiper is right.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.44081 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25