Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2011 NFL Draft

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #61
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,875
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.sharrer View Post
I know I am going to get heckled for this 1) because I am new here, and 2) I am from PA but two things I want to comment on here.

Cooley has been great to our team over the last few years, but something happened to him and he is having an off year. Fred Davis has proven he can step up. Let Cooley go, for a good price (either a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th) and use the picks to build our weak areas.

A player that, unless I missed it, has not been talked about on here that I would like to see us draft is Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State. I have watched him play over the last couple years and he is a beast on the OL. He can play Center really well but his natural position is Guard. Both are weak points on our OL. I have seen him run downfield on screens and lay people out. He has good speed for a OL, great strength and a really good football mind. He gets overlooked a lot in regards to national media because Penn State is not known for producing OL but he is definitely an exception to the rule.
You've had some really solid posts to start here. Good to see. It's been a lonnnnng time since we've added quality members
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  

Advertisements
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #62
Camp Scrub
 
scott.sharrer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 25
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You've had some really solid posts to start here. Good to see. It's been a lonnnnng time since we've added quality members
Thank you. I have followed the Redskins for nearly 30 years. I was an analyst in the Navy for 8, so I am highly prone to do research before making any statements.

I know this is off topic, but I have a new blog (it will be a running blog) going at xanga.com. The running blog is titled "A truthful look at the History of the Washington Redskins". Do a search by my name there and you will find it. The research for it took me 6 months.
scott.sharrer is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #63
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,666
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Yahoo's top 30 FA list:

Top 30 free agents in class of 2011 - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #64
Special Teams
 
Texanskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Skins fan in the Dallas area
Posts: 187
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

if you thnk we should draft anything but OL in the first ound...ur nuts. 1st...RT....2nd...C....draft a QB in 2012 draft
__________________
We are finally looking like a respectable opponent.....Lets keep it going!!!
Texanskin is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #65
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,875
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

You don't need to draft an OL if there's not a good one where you're picking just to say you drafted an OL in the first round.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #66
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.sharrer View Post
I know I am going to get heckled for this 1) because I am new here, and 2) I am from PA but two things I want to comment on here.

Cooley has been great to our team over the last few years, but something happened to him and he is having an off year. Fred Davis has proven he can step up. Let Cooley go, for a good price (either a 2nd or a 3rd and 4th) and use the picks to build our weak areas.

A player that, unless I missed it, has not been talked about on here that I would like to see us draft is Stefen Wisniewski from Penn State. I have watched him play over the last couple years and he is a beast on the OL. He can play Center really well but his natural position is Guard. Both are weak points on our OL. I have seen him run downfield on screens and lay people out. He has good speed for a OL, great strength and a really good football mind. He gets overlooked a lot in regards to national media because Penn State is not known for producing OL but he is definitely an exception to the rule.
I agree with you - Cooley is the first name that comes to mind when I think of players to trade. Truly, I would consider trading every single player we could, except Trent Williams, to stockpile picks. Unfortunately, that list is short.

Landry is great, but if we could trade him and draft a starting OL, I'd do it. Same goes for Orakpo. They're great players and they're going to be even better, but they are worthless if we have no lines.

The lines should be #1 priority. Use every draft pick on linemen, hire a panel of experts, bribe people -- whatever they have to do, I don't care. Nothing else should matter more, IMO.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #67
Camp Scrub
 
3Card's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Why RT in the first when it is our OG and C that are getting abused every week. We already have a draft pick invested in our current RT and no OG or C need to be drafted in the first round. first round pick should be used on Skill position player or another Orakpo or a QB to groom.
3Card is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #68
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 242
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

With the issues the team currently has at so many different positions, I feel the Skins need to just start drafting the best available player regardless of position. We certainly aren't stacked anywhere, so it wouldn't hurt. I few players I feel could be great for us but in no particular order are:

Nick Fairley DT Auburn. That guy is a beast and would look good at DE.

Nate Solder OT Colorado. He's a 6'9" converted TE. He has the athleticism to play in the zone/one cut rushing scheme.

Rodney Hudson G/C FSU. He lacks size, but is agile/quick and has been a long time starter for the Seminoles.

Marvin Austin DT UNC. I don't know how far he'll drop due to his getting kicked of the team at UNC, but his skills are many. If he falls pretty far, might be worth taking a shot at.

Stefen Wisniewski C/G PSU. Previous poster spelled it out pretty well.

Phil Taylor DT Baylor. He transferred from PSU due to lack of PT. He's massive at 6'4" 340 and would be a good fit in our 3-4 as a later round pick.

Leonard Hankerson WR Miami. Has excellent size and has been very productive at the U. We haven't had much luck with drafting wr's lately though so I'm not too excited by the idea of taking one very early.

Alex Wujack LB UMD. I don't know that he'll blow anyone away with his measurables, but I'd love to see him as an ILB wearing Burgandy and Gold. At 6'3" 250, he has pretty good size and is a tackling machine.
Terpfan76 is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #69
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoDogAllStars View Post
I agree with you - Cooley is the first name that comes to mind when I think of players to trade. Truly, I would consider trading every single player we could, except Trent Williams, to stockpile picks. Unfortunately, that list is short.

Landry is great, but if we could trade him and draft a starting OL, I'd do it. Same goes for Orakpo. They're great players and they're going to be even better, but they are worthless if we have no lines.

The lines should be #1 priority. Use every draft pick on linemen, hire a panel of experts, bribe people -- whatever they have to do, I don't care. Nothing else should matter more, IMO.
Cooley is by no means over the hill but he's in his 7th season, no spring chicken by nfl standards. He's got some good years left, maybe 3-4 more w/60+ catches or so. But he's not likely to go for any higher than a 4th round pick. I really question the value of trading him unless someone were to make an offer we couldn't refuse.

His contract isn't an issue for us, is it?
freddyg12 is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #70
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.sharrer View Post
I am a fast learner, and I have now learned to fully explain my point to avoid misconception. And thank you for the welcome!

I agree Cooley is very valuable as a player in regards to blocking and helping the OL. I wouldn't say he is having a bad year, just an off year (better describes my opinion). He is a great asset but, IMO, having a good back up behind him does allow some room to move him.

Honestly though, I would be just as apt to go for trading Davis. He will have some value, not as much as Cooley, but his pass play abilities would get a little value (I would guess around a 4th round pick). I just don't think with all the upgrades we need, we should keep two starting caliber TEs on the roster unless they decide to go to two TE sets next season.

I agree with everything you said but some things that you can't disregard are -- Cooley is popular with players, coaches, and fans ; and has good character; and has been one of the faces of the team since he was drafted (and one of the last few that you can count on to continue to represent the team).

All of these off field factors matter as much as (or maybe moreso than) anything that transpires with him on the field.
warriorzpath is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #71
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
I agree with everything you said but some things that you can't disregard are -- Cooley is popular with players, coaches, and fans ; and has good character; and has been one of the faces of the team since he was drafted (and one of the last few that you can count on to continue to represent the team).

All of these off field factors matter as much as (or maybe moreso than) anything that transpires with him on the field.
I didn't even mention all that in my earlier post, but was thinking it too. A lot of Skins fans would be upset if he were traded. Aside from that you list a lot of other attributes that are good for the team.

Aside from his popularity, I think he's still too valuable to an offense that doesn't have many weapons. We've all been yearning for he & Davis to line up in 2TE sets but Davis isn't getting the reps & calls that Cooley has. There may be a no. of reasons for that, but Cooley is still the starter.
freddyg12 is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #72
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,471
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

We all keep asking for it, but the truth is that the game today is moving towards more spread out sets, not this max protect, 22 personnel stuff. I think we can safely conclude that we will not be seeing Cooley AND Davis on the field at the same time with any sort of regularity. We have a true lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball this year, if there was ever a time to get both of them out there, this would be it... and it's not happening.

Was anyone else surprised by how sluggish Davis looked on that long pass against the Eagles? Hopefully he doesn't become the third 'Skin with "cardiovascular issues."
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #73
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Cooley is by no means over the hill but he's in his 7th season, no spring chicken by nfl standards. He's got some good years left, maybe 3-4 more w/60+ catches or so. But he's not likely to go for any higher than a 4th round pick. I really question the value of trading him unless someone were to make an offer we couldn't refuse.

His contract isn't an issue for us, is it?
I don't know the details of his contract, but I'm in the position where I think if we could get a starting lineman (defense or offense) for Cooley, then that's just something we need more. The question I ask myself is: would I trade Cooley for a starting lineman? Would I trade those 60+ catches per year for running lanes and pass protection, or sacks and stuffs? Yes. Same goes for any other player on the team worth trading that is not a lineman.

I agree that Cooley wouldn't demand high picks in a trade, but I think it's possible to get a starter in the 4th, so I'd do it. Multiple picks would be nice though, like 4th and 5th, because that could turn into two starters. However, BB brought up a good point about Gonzales getting a 2nd. I don't think it would happen for Cooley, but it does indicate the market a bit.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline  
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #74
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 242
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Why don't we use Cooley or Davis or both in a manner much like the Colts use Dallas Clark. Either Cooley or Davis would be an upgrade over Galloway. Would be a much more versatile offense if you think about it. But what do I know lol...
Terpfan76 is offline  
Old 11-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #75
Impact Rookie
 
theJBexperience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boone, NC
Posts: 579
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
With the issues the team currently has at so many different positions, I feel the Skins need to just start drafting the best available player regardless of position. We certainly aren't stacked anywhere, so it wouldn't hurt. I few players I feel could be great for us but in no particular order are:

...

Leonard Hankerson WR Miami. Has excellent size and has been very productive at the U. We haven't had much luck with drafting wr's lately though so I'm not too excited by the idea of taking one very early.
I agree about Hankerson. He's extremely physical, shown big play ability, and is great after the catch. He's played well on a poor team with a terrible QB and is often double teamed. He will be very good in the NFL. I've dreamt about him being a late round Redskins pick. He could be very much like Brandon Marshall was for Shanny in Denver, and hopefully, he wouldn't punch a TV.
theJBexperience is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30975 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25