Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2011 NFL Draft

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #766
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 42
Posts: 2,656
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
I seem to recall alot of folks on here (ahem...including myself) knocking Bradford and saying we shouldn't pick him at #4, let alone trading up. Hindsight is 20/20.
Well feel free to look up my post history...i am all over this board last year spouting about trading up for Bradford. I would have traded whatever it took to get him. We can sit around talking about patching this hole and that hole but we are not even in the game until we get a QB.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #767
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

I was thinking about it, and I really don't care if we don't get a good deal, we should without a doubt trade down.

The reason why I say this is because I asked myself, "what position don't we need?" The only answer I could come up with is corner (and that might actually be a need if Rodgers decides to leave next year). This means that we will get good value no matter where we pick in the first round. If we can get an extra 3rd or 4th round pick by trading back later in the first round I would say it is worth it. We simply have too many holes, and we are guaranteed to get good value at a position of need if we trade back.
skinster is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #768
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 237
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Robert Quinn at 10 in my opinion. His size and pass rushing ability should help him to about 10 or so sacks as a rookie and potentially contribute to more turnovers and 15 or more sacks for Orakpo. Imagine if the Skins had a legit pass rusher opposite Rak. Hell, imagine the carnage that Landry would be able to create with the other two scaring the crap out of OTs league wide.
Terpfan76 is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #769
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
Robert Quinn at 10 in my opinion. His size and pass rushing ability should help him to about 10 or so sacks as a rookie and potentially contribute to more turnovers and 15 or more sacks for Orakpo. Imagine if the Skins had a legit pass rusher opposite Rak. Hell, imagine the carnage that Landry would be able to create with the other two scaring the crap out of OTs league wide.
There's also Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers, and Justin Houston depending on where we draft if we trade back.

I don't think having two elite rusher's in the 3-4 is as impactful as people might think. Remember we normally have 3 big guys on the line, so typically only one of the linebackers will blitz. We can't have them both rushing all the time, so although it will be nice to have two guys who can rush well so that the opposing team doesn't always know where it is coming from, neither of the OLB's pass rushing talents will be maximized.

I'd be happy trading back and picking up someone who can get us 7-9 sacks a year over the course of his career and can play the run/cover well for a linebacker.

Orakpo needs to be complemented, not overshadowed. Lets not forget the importance of the DL when it comes to creating opportunity for the OLB's to get to the QB.
skinster is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #770
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,818
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
Well feel free to look up my post history...i am all over this board last year spouting about trading up for Bradford. I would have traded whatever it took to get him. We can sit around talking about patching this hole and that hole but we are not even in the game until we get a QB.
Finally, a 'Skins fan with some common sense! I agree completely with the assessment that we need a solid QB prospect.
mbedner3420 is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #771
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Bottom line, we need to draft a guy who can be groomed to be our Franchise QB. Based on our head coaches track record with QB's, I will be comfortable with whomever he chooses. That being said....I really like Locker and Newton.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #772
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,002
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Finally, a 'Skins fan with some common sense! I agree completely with the assessment that we need a solid QB prospect.

Ok but what QB do u want? You can't just call 1-800-ineedaqb
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #773
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,002
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Bottom line, we need to draft a guy who can be groomed to be our Franchise QB. Based on our head coaches track record with QB's, I will be comfortable with whomever he chooses. That being said....I really like Locker and Newton.
Cam Newton is VY dude
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #774
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Finally, a 'Skins fan with some common sense! I agree completely with the assessment that we need a solid QB prospect.
I don't think anybody disagrees with you that to be competative in this league a franchise QB is a necessity. The problem is making sure we pick the right guy.
I'd say there's only 15 established QB's in the NFL right now that have shown they have potential to get it done. I'd say 5 of them (Schaub, Brady, Romo, Cassell, Brees) were not drafted in the first round. I'd say that of the 10 drafted in the 1st round, only 4 of them were not taken in the top 5 (Rodgers, Roethesberger, Freeman, Cutler). This means that there are only 5 proven QB's in the NFL drafted in the first two rounds, but not in the top 5 that have shown they can get it done.
These guys have about 10 productive years, which means that there is a 50% chance that we are even in the right year to find a prospect. Not to mention that there are about 6 QBs projected to go in the first two rounds. Lets say 2 of them go in the top 5 that is a 25% chance that we will find the right guy if we are in the right year. There is an 11.5% chance that we will be able to accurately predict who our QB of the future will be.
The issue isn't if we need a good qb prospect, its if we believe he is in this draft. To take a QB because you need a qb, not because you genuinely believe in him is a waste of a draft pick. It also sets us back even further from finding our real franchise qb. No team will draft a QB if they have a prospect of the future on their team
skinster is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #775
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,700
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Flacco wasn't top 5 either
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #776
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,700
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Matt Hasselbeck 6th rounder as well.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #777
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 237
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
There's also Aldon Smith, Ryan Kerrigan, Brooks Reed, Akeem Ayers, and Justin Houston depending on where we draft if we trade back.

I don't think having two elite rusher's in the 3-4 is as impactful as people might think. Remember we normally have 3 big guys on the line, so typically only one of the linebackers will blitz. We can't have them both rushing all the time, so although it will be nice to have two guys who can rush well so that the opposing team doesn't always know where it is coming from, neither of the OLB's pass rushing talents will be maximized.

I'd be happy trading back and picking up someone who can get us 7-9 sacks a year over the course of his career and can play the run/cover well for a linebacker.

Orakpo needs to be complemented, not overshadowed. Lets not forget the importance of the DL when it comes to creating opportunity for the OLB's to get to the QB.

I don't have an issue with trading down, it's probably the most sensible decision, which is why it most likely won't happen lol... Seriously though, having two potentially dominant pass rushers in a 3-4 defense. Typically, especially on passing downs, at least one backer will be blitzing and more often than not, 2 will. The great thing will be making the other team sweat where it's coming from. I'd take Quinn over any of the 3-4 rush backer prospects, even potentially Von Miller, that's not to say I wouldn't be positively ecstatic if we did get Miller. If you didn't notice, teams could just double up on Orakpo all day because there was no other pass rushing threat on the defense other than Landry who got hurt and is, well, a safety. Frankly, I don't care if Orakpo is getting overshadowed, which I seriously doubt he would be, why would anyone?

As for the d line, again, I agree but unless we do trade down, I really doubt there will be a lineman who could make the impact on the d available that Quinn or Miller could make.
Terpfan76 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #778
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 237
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I don't think anybody disagrees with you that to be competative in this league a franchise QB is a necessity. The problem is making sure we pick the right guy.
I'd say there's only 15 established QB's in the NFL right now that have shown they have potential to get it done. I'd say 5 of them (Schaub, Brady, Romo, Cassell, Brees) were not drafted in the first round. I'd say that of the 10 drafted in the 1st round, only 4 of them were not taken in the top 5 (Rodgers, Roethesberger, Freeman, Cutler). This means that there are only 5 proven QB's in the NFL drafted in the first two rounds, but not in the top 5 that have shown they can get it done.
These guys have about 10 productive years, which means that there is a 50% chance that we are even in the right year to find a prospect. Not to mention that there are about 6 QBs projected to go in the first two rounds. Lets say 2 of them go in the top 5 that is a 25% chance that we will find the right guy if we are in the right year. There is an 11.5% chance that we will be able to accurately predict who our QB of the future will be.
The issue isn't if we need a good qb prospect, its if we believe he is in this draft. To take a QB because you need a qb, not because you genuinely believe in him is a waste of a draft pick. It also sets us back even further from finding our real franchise qb. No team will draft a QB if they have a prospect of the future on their team
I agree. Drafting a qb just for the sake of taking one is silly. There really is no one qb who stands out as a franchise qb this season. I'd rather the team fill other areas of need and then take a qb next year which appears to have a much better crop of players available.
Terpfan76 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 AM   #779
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,127
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
I agree. Drafting a qb just for the sake of taking one is silly. There really is no one qb who stands out as a franchise qb this season. I'd rather the team fill other areas of need and then take a qb next year which appears to have a much better crop of players available.
I agree on not taking one for the sake of taking one. However most of the franchise QB's that currently playing in the league weren't well received on draft day. Peyton Manning and Michael Vick are the only first round QB's I can remember where people had no problem with them on draft day. Maybe Leftwich and Leinart and we all know how they turned out.

Unless you're drafting Andrew Luck you will almost never find a QB that the overwhelming majority is comfortable with. Heck most of the people here wanted to pass on Bradford last year. Bet that virtually everyone would kill to have him now.

Also next years class after Luck isn't looking very good at all. Barkley isn't likely to come out and even if he is we won't be in position to draft him. Foles could go either way to. This year we have 8 QB's that are worthy of being taken before round 3. It might not be a top heavy class but it's still very deep and the potential is certainly there for someone to be developed by Shanahan.

Anyway don't worry. You guys might not like Locker on draft day but you'll grow into him.
__________________
Charlie: Okay. Take off your seat belt.
Alan: Why?
Charlie: Because when I slam on the brakes I want to watch you go through the windshield.
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #780
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,301
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

I want us to follow the model of the NewYork Jets. They built the team around QB position without a QB, Then their time came to draft one and he had great success because the team around him was already very good. If we can trade down and pick up a second rounder while also getting a key piece later in the draft like Pouncey. I think we will have the ammo to get a nose tackle and Andy Dalton.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30995 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25