Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2011 NFL Draft

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #796
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16,007
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Trent Williams will be 34 if everyone gets their way in regards to the QB positon.

2011: Oh we need a Nosetackle. Next years QB class will be better.

2012: A franchise Guard will be better then a QB. This isn't a good year to take a QB

2013: We need another Tackle.

2014: Defensive End for our 3-4. Don't worry though next years QB class will be better.

2015: Guys, we really need another first round Guard. Besides this years QB class stinks, next years will be better.

2016: Our Nosetackle is having health problems we need another one.

2017: We need a Tackle of the future. Trent is getting up their in age.

2018: I think we should take a blocking Tight End with our first pick. 4 sacks a year is to much. Our rookie QB will get killed if we take one. Besides it's a weak class. Next years will be better.

2019: We need another Nosetackle. Weak QB class, very weak

2020: I'd rather take a Defensive End. Okay, we'll splurge this year. We'll draft a developmental player in the 6th round to play QB.

2021: Ehhh, our star Guard left for free agency. We need another one, we need to protect the QB.

2022: Trent's to old, the team needs a star Left Tackle if we're going to protect this star rookie QB ya'll want. Besides NEXT YEARS CLASS WILL BE BETERRRRRRR HA HA AHAHAHA AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
Who the hell drafts a guard or a blocking tight end with their first round pick?
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline  

Advertisements
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #797
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Huh?

Flacco's numbers have improved every year: Qb rating, YPA, TD/int ratio, etc. Last year:
93.6 rating, 3,622 yards, 7.4 YPA, 25 TD, 10 int

Flacco does not have the gaudy yardage totals of others but he does not throw as much, either.

Campbell has never put up numbers like that. And Flacco is just beginning to enter his prime.

I'd be happy if we had Flacco under center.
Flacco was 20th in passing yards. With the exception of when he played the weakest team in the afc playoffs (chiefs) where he threw for 256 yards, he has a career high 189 yards passing in his 6 other playoff games he has played in. He threw for 125 yards in the divisional playoffs this year (1 td (from ravens a turnover), 2 turnovers). He threw for only 34 yards (0 tds 1 turnover) in the wild card game last year. He threw for 189 yards (0 tds, 2 turnovers) in last years divisional playoffs, he threw for 135 yards (0 td, 0 tunrovers) two years ago in the wildcard game, he threw for 161 yards 2 years ago (1 td, 0 turnovers) in the divisional playoffs, but then he threw for 141 yards (0 tds, 3 turnovers) in the conference game. Over these 6 games he averaged roughly 130 yards per game and has 2 tds with 10 turnovers (9 of them interceptions).

He also leads the league (by alot) in sacks after holding the ball for more than 3 seconds. Chalk these numbers up to whatever you want, but I chalk them up to Flacco not being cut from quality material.
skinster is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #798
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Who the hell drafts a guard or a blocking tight end with their first round pick?
Quarterback Time Haters. They build walls of Jericho around trailer parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Well then, Mr. We-need-a-QB, what is your plan for the QB position?
Theres as many as 8 quality prospects to pick from, 6 of which will be available to us. Your telling me we can't draft any of them? Rather we should wait and press our luck that the currently unprecedented 3 year run of quality QB drafts will continue for a 5th year in 2012 (which it might but we're not getting Luck)? There is a QB out there that fits our system, weather it's a guy at pick 10 or pick 41.

Sorry if I'm not as confident in Rex Grossman as the rest of you, but there needs to be a viable plan B for the games most important position.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #799
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Quarterback Time Haters. They build walls of Jericho around trailer parks.



Theres as many as 8 quality prospects to pick from, 6 of which will be available to us. Your telling me we can't draft any of them? Rather we should wait and press our luck that the currently unprecedented 3 year run of quality QB drafts will continue for a 5th year in 2012 (which it might but we're not getting Luck)? There is a QB out there that fits our system, weather it's a guy at pick 10 or pick 41.
Are you really saying that there are 8 quality qbs this year? Lets cut that in half and say that there is an average of 4 a year. Every team would have their franchise qb on their roster right now. When you look at the numbers, there is less than one franchise qb a year that has been drafted in the 1st 2 rounds over the last 10 years (unless you count Kolb, there have been none in the 2nd). I'd even say there are less than one per year that have been drafted at all in the last 10 years, but I know I'd stand pretty much alone in that argument.
skinster is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #800
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Are you really saying that there are 8 quality qbs this year? Lets cut that in half and say that there is an average of 4 a year. Every team would have their franchise qb on their roster right now. When you look at the numbers, there is less than one franchise qb a year that has been drafted in the 1st 2 rounds over the last 10 years (unless you count Kolb, there have been none in the 2nd). I'd even say there are less than one per year that have been drafted at all in the last 10 years, but I know I'd stand pretty much alone in that argument.
Ponder, Locker, Dalton, and Kaepernick (possibly Stanzi as well) are all QB's that are capable of being coached up by the Shanahans. All 4 are also mobile and capable of protecting the O-Line.

Still I think that people here should seriously prepare for this team drafting Locker as early as 10. Raw talent seems to matter the most to Shanahan and only Newton has more raw talent then Locker. The difference is Locker has been pegged as fitting Shanahan's system and we've already heard how much he likes him.

To put it simply Locker is the Trent Williams of the QB position. And I believe, gun to my head and I have to be right that for better or worse Locker will be drafted by the Redskins, and it's very possible that unless they can trade back that it will happen with the 10th pick.

Also the last 10 years doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that we're looking at the 4th year of an amazing 3 year run of QB drafts. All classes that were deemed weak by this board on draft day. Also keep in mind that it takes 2 to 3 years to develop a QB. 1st and 2nd round lineman on the other hand are routinely developing in half a year, some as early as opening day. At most it's 2 years and thats in rare cases.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #801
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,615
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Theres as many as 8 quality prospects to pick from, 6 of which will be available to us. Your telling me we can't draft any of them? Rather we should wait and press our luck that the currently unprecedented 3 year run of quality QB drafts will continue for a 5th year in 2012 (which it might but we're not getting Luck)? There is a QB out there that fits our system, weather it's a guy at pick 10 or pick 41.

Sorry if I'm not as confident in Rex Grossman as the rest of you, but there needs to be a viable plan B for the games most important position.
My friend, you did not answer my question. Please be specific. Let's hear a clear plan.

I say Ponder in the second. What say you?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #802
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
My friend, you did not answer my question. Please be specific. Let's hear a clear plan.

I say Ponder in the second. What say you?
I invoke the go with God defense as well as my right against self incrimination. Basically whoever Shanahan picks I will support and believe in because I believe that in spite of the McNabb fiasco the Shanahans still know how to find and develop QB's.

At the moment I'm trying to like Locker but he scares me. I personally would probably go with Dalton or Ponder in the second, which would be easier if I could learn specifics about Dalton. However as I've been saying over the past hour I think that the Skins are going to use a first round pick on Locker.

I think that right now their Plan A is to trade down into the late teens and pick up a third round pick and draft Locker. Plan B will be to take Locker at 10. Remember Shanahan was the the guy that took Cutler at 11, so I personally believe he won't have any problem taking him at 10 if he thinks that what it'll take to get him.

Of course all of this is speculation on my part and only based on what I've heard about Lockers skillset, Shanahan being reported as highly interested in Locker, and the word of a Skins beat reporter for the Examiner that heard the Redskins will find a way to get Locker.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #803
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,615
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Flacco was 20th in passing yards. With the exception of when he played the weakest team in the afc playoffs (chiefs) where he threw for 256 yards, he has a career high 189 yards passing in his 6 other playoff games he has played in. He threw for 125 yards in the divisional playoffs this year (1 td (from ravens a turnover), 2 turnovers). He threw for only 34 yards (0 tds 1 turnover) in the wild card game last year. He threw for 189 yards (0 tds, 2 turnovers) in last years divisional playoffs, he threw for 135 yards (0 td, 0 tunrovers) two years ago in the wildcard game, he threw for 161 yards 2 years ago (1 td, 0 turnovers) in the divisional playoffs, but then he threw for 141 yards (0 tds, 3 turnovers) in the conference game. Over these 6 games he averaged roughly 130 yards per game and has 2 tds with 10 turnovers (9 of them interceptions).

He also leads the league (by alot) in sacks after holding the ball for more than 3 seconds. Chalk these numbers up to whatever you want, but I chalk them up to Flacco not being cut from quality material.
The notion that Flacco does not throw for a ton of yards because he plays in an offense which does not throw much has already been addressed. You are penalizing him for his offensive system.

Besides, NFL.com has him 11th in passing yards last year, not 20th as you claim. He was 9th in yards per attempt, which is a much fairer basis for comparison.

Last year he had a higher YPA and better TD/Int ratio than Peyton Manning.

And he is young. He has his best years ahead of him.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #804
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,615
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I invoke the go with God defense as well as my right against self incrimination. Basically whoever Shanahan picks I will support and believe in because I believe that in spite of the McNabb fiasco the Shanahans still know how to find and develop QB's.

At the moment I'm trying to like Locker but he scares me. I personally would probably go with Dalton or Ponder in the second, which would be easier if I could learn specifics about Dalton. However as I've been saying over the past hour I think that the Skins are going to use a first round pick on Locker.

I think that right now their Plan A is to trade down into the late teens and pick up a third round pick and draft Locker. Plan B will be to take Locker at 10. Remember Shanahan was the the guy that took Cutler at 11, so I personally believe he won't have any problem taking him at 10 if he thinks that what it'll take to get him.
Fair enough. I pray that you are wrong about Locker - not because we'd be drafting him but because #10 is way too high.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #805
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Fair enough. I pray that you are wrong about Locker - not because we'd be drafting him but because #10 is way too high.
I do to, if my notion is right then I hope that it's done through a trade down. At least that way they can add two players in the trenches in the first 3 rounds with that extra pick.

I'd also add that I think that the elder Shanahan views Locker as a McNabb clone. However the main difference is that Locker will be more open to what Shanahan wants in terms of coaching and running the system then McNabb and as a result will succeed.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #806
Impact Rookie
 
skinster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 754
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Ponder, Locker, Dalton, and Kaepernick (possibly Stanzi as well) are all QB's that are capable of being coached up by the Shanahans. All 4 are also mobile and capable of protecting the O-Line.

Still I think that people here should seriously prepare for this team drafting Locker as early as 10. Raw talent seems to matter the most to Shanahan and only Newton has more raw talent then Locker. The difference is Locker has been pegged as fitting Shanahan's system and we've already heard how much he likes him.

To put it simply Locker is the Trent Williams of the QB position. And I believe, gun to my head and I have to be right that for better or worse Locker will be drafted by the Redskins, and it's very possible that unless they can trade back that it will happen with the 10th pick.

Also the last 10 years doesn't matter. What does matter is the fact that we're looking at the 4th year of an amazing 3 year run of QB drafts. All classes that were deemed weak by this board on draft day.
Jimmy Clausen, Pat White, Chad Henne, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens, and Travaris Jackson are all the 2nd round prospects that "were able to be coached up" over the last 10 years.

There is a difference between "this can be our guy" and "this will be our guy." I'm not saying that we should not draft a qb, I'm just saying that we better damn well be sure it WILL be our guy.
There is a zero percent chance more than one of the guys you just mentioned would make it as our franchise qb. Every year people make the same statements you are making about potential, and every year they are wrong. Look to the past to predict the future. You can rationalize your opinions as much as you want, but it is a fact that your opinions on this subject are wrong as been proven by history (you see what I did there ).
skinster is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #807
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

I think the redskins will take a QB for sure but I also believe we will bring in a FA QB, maybe smith or young who knows? Let's remember Rex is a FA so no guarantee he is back
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #808
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,628
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I think the redskins will take a QB for sure but I also believe we will bring in a FA QB, maybe smith or young who knows? Let's remember Rex is a FA so no guarantee he is back
I could have sworn Smoot say they were comfortable with Beck. Don't hold me to that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
Jimmy Clausen, Pat White, Chad Henne, Brian Brohm, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens, and Travaris Jackson are all the 2nd round prospects that "were able to be coached up" over the last 10 years.

There is a difference between "this can be our guy" and "this will be our guy." I'm not saying that we should not draft a qb, I'm just saying that we better damn well be sure it WILL be our guy.
There is a zero percent chance more than one of the guys you just mentioned would make it as our franchise qb. Every year people make the same statements you are making about potential, and every year they are wrong. Look to the past to predict the future. You can rationalize your opinions as much as you want, but it is a fact that your opinions on this subject are wrong as been proven by history (you see what I did there ).
Your right in that the overwhelming majority of second round QB's amount to nothing in this league. However to say that there is a 0% chance that any of them will become a franchise QB is a little far fetched (I know a mathmatician that would go crazy at the mention of 0%).

I personally don't usually like second round QB's, however with the exception of Beck and Kolb most of those QB's had average or terrible intangibles. The Daltons, Ponders, and Kaepernicks all have through the roof work ethics and leadership qualities. Dalton and Ponder are both accurate QB's with mobility. All they need is the right coach and Shanahan is a great fit.

In fact in the past thats why QB's have dropped to the second round as the concerns about their intangibles have overridden their physical skill set and production. Brian Brohm is probably the best example of this and Mallet looks like he's having similar problems. We also saw Clausen drop to the second round last year due to concerns about his leadershiip.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #809
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,889
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Huh?

Flacco's numbers have improved every year: Qb rating, YPA, TD/int ratio, etc. Last year:
93.6 rating, 3,622 yards, 7.4 YPA, 25 TD, 10 int

Flacco does not have the gaudy yardage totals of others but he does not throw as much, either.

Campbell has never put up numbers like that. And Flacco is just beginning to enter his prime.

I'd be happy if we had Flacco under center.
Flacco also plays on a very talented team that has a good Defense, Offensive line, Wr's and Running Back and running game. The Ravens have few weakness' and most Qb's would play well in that situation. Redskins do not have that yet.
I like Flacco and he is a good QB but he is not great. He has had the luxury of playing aon a very good team and has had the time to grow in his position. Not many Qb's have that luxury. You can say the same thing about Sanchez and the Jets. If the Jets had a stud QB like a Peyton Manning last year instead of Sanchez, they would be the Champs right now.
Defensewins is offline  
Old 04-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #810
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: 2011 NFL Draft

I honestly think that we will trade down in the first. Andy Dalton can be had in the second round. When I see Julio Jones, I think Michael Westbrook. There is no promisses that we will resign Grossman. I think there are pressing needs on the interior of the line that needs to be addressed. Getting pouncey in the first, and Dalton in the second would go along way to fixing this team.

That way next year Corey L. can shift to center and pouncey can play gaurd. Those moves along with resigning Brown would make this line better. Giving the QB a chance.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38742 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25