Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 239
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I've watched Ponder quite a bit & I agree; he could be a long time starter & win a lot of games. Chad Pennington & Jake Delhomme (before he starting throwing picks w/every other pass) come to mind when I think of comparisons. He has played in a pro style offense & has pretty good mechanics. I think he's a good fit in DC & in the 2nd would be great value. A trade back to get him & pick up an additional pick or two would be ideal.

A mobile Brad Johnson?
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #32
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 239
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
Luck is a very good qb and I'm sure he's going to do well at the next level. But I think people are over doing it. This guy is not the next great thing at qb. If he is he certainly haven't showed it yet.

Really? And I'm saying that very sarcastically. What does he need to do to show you that he is the next great one? Walk on water? Turn water to wine? Walk on wine? Luck may not become the next great one, things like injuries happen, but there's nothing he's shown on the field that doesn't scream, I'm the best qb prospect since at least Peyton Manning if not the members of the class of '83.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #33
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,367
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
Really? And I'm saying that very sarcastically. What does he need to do to show you that he is the next great one? Walk on water? Turn water to wine? Walk on wine? Luck may not become the next great one, things like injuries happen, but there's nothing he's shown on the field that doesn't scream, I'm the best qb prospect since at least Peyton Manning if not the members of the class of '83.
He's the most polished/complete player since John Elway. You put Luck on any team in the NFL and he would start from day 1, how often can you say that? Last night and all season long the guy has displayed accuracy, touch, great decision making, smarts, athleticism and toughness. None of the other QB's coming out of college this year can compare to this guy.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:56 PM   #34
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
He's the most polished/complete player since John Elway. You put Luck on any team in the NFL and he would start from day 1, how often can you say that? Last night and all season long the guy has displayed accuracy, touch, great decision making, smarts, athleticism and toughness. None of the other QB's coming out of college this year can compare to this guy.
More polished than Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford? Idk about that.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #35
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,367
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
More polished than Matt Ryan and Sam Bradford? Idk about that.
Yep. Did you watch the game last night or have seen Stanford play this year? This kid is unreal, Ryan or Bradford are not even close to what they were in college compared to Luck. Remember he is only a Sophomore on his way to becoming a Junior if he stays in college.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #36
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

So i was thinking about something. Would you rather have a QB that seems like he has all the skill in the world, but maybe be lacking a little bit mentally or maturity wise. Or would you rather have a QB that is really smart and works extremely hard, but lacks when it comes to some of the physical demands desired of a NFL QB.

QB's coming out of college that seemed to have all the physical tools but lacked some of the mental stuff in my mind are Brett Farve (worked out), McNabb (worked out), Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf (didnt work out), Ben Roethlisberger (worked out).

QB's with the mental edge but lacking some physical characteristics would be Brady (more of a anomaly then anything), Chad Pennington (worked out in my mind), Drew Brees.

Obviously there are QBs that are deemed to have all the mental and physical tools coming out of college (Payton Manning, Matt Ryan) but they usually go number 1.

Then there are guys that grow up for whatever reason, Mike Vick being the prime example in my eyes. He was once lazy/immature, now he works hard and puts the mental and physical together.


So who would you rather take if you donít have the option to pick a guy with all the physical and mental tools to get the job done? Im not completely sure but I would lean towards the hard worker/smart guy over a guy that has everything physical, especially if you want him to start for you within a year or 2.
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #37
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Yep. Did you watch the game last night or have seen Stanford play this year? This kid is unreal, Ryan or Bradford are not even close to what they were in college compared to Luck. Remember he is only a Sophomore on his way to becoming a Junior if he stays in college.
Yes I did and the guy is damn good BUT you seem to forget that Sam Bradford LED his team to a National Champ appearance and also WON the heisman trophy in only his Sophomore year. Passing for 50 Tds to just 8 Ints.
That's more TD's in 1 season than Luck has had in 2.. Just saying.

88 Tds to 16 Ints in just 2 seasons and he wasn't as good as Luck??? Sorry but your wrong on that my man.

Don't get me wrong Sam had more talent around him with a dominant LT, I understand that but there's a reason why even Kiper and McShay have both said NO qb's in this draft are close to Bradford last year.

I would take the guy(Luck) over anyone don't get me wrong, and Yes he has a tremendous pocket presence and very accurate. The only knock on him is Arm strength but that's overatted, I hope to god we can get him but WE know that won't happen. We'll be stuck with Rex or Orton for another 2 years....

BTW Luck was born in DC, that would be bad ass for him to come home! HTTR
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #38
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
So i was thinking about something. Would you rather have a QB that seems like he has all the skill in the world, but maybe be lacking a little bit mentally or maturity wise. Or would you rather have a QB that is really smart and works extremely hard, but lacks when it comes to some of the physical demands desired of a NFL QB.

QB's coming out of college that seemed to have all the physical tools but lacked some of the mental stuff in my mind are Brett Farve (worked out), McNabb (worked out), Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf (didnt work out), Ben Roethlisberger (worked out).

QB's with the mental edge but lacking some physical characteristics would be Brady (more of a anomaly then anything), Chad Pennington (worked out in my mind), Drew Brees.

Obviously there are QBs that are deemed to have all the mental and physical tools coming out of college (Payton Manning, Matt Ryan) but they usually go number 1.

Then there are guys that grow up for whatever reason, Mike Vick being the prime example in my eyes. He was once lazy/immature, now he works hard and puts the mental and physical together.


So who would you rather take if you donít have the option to pick a guy with all the physical and mental tools to get the job done? Im not completely sure but I would lean towards the hard worker/smart guy over a guy that has everything physical, especially if you want him to start for you within a year or 2.

Well would you rather have Brady or Vick?
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #39
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,840
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Andrew Luck really took my Hokies to the shed last night. He looks like the real deal. You can say he didn't have the numbers Bradford had, but just watching the way he played last night it looks like he has all the tools to be an elite quarterback in the NFL. I kinda hope he comes out even though we don't have a shot at him, because it's like someone in this thread already said, if he declares it pushes everybody down a spot, which helps us. But if/when he does come out, I have no doubts he'll be #1. Unless your name is Carolina and you are more concerned with penny pinching than building a Super Bowl contender.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
mlmpetert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,257
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Well would you rather have Brady or Vick?

Thats too hard of a comparison in my mind, they were drafted too far apart..... pure player wise though it would be a tough decision for me.

It just seems to me youre more likely to get your heart broke if you take a guy that has all the potential in the world but lacks the maturity to use it.

Sam Bradford, is now "guaranteed" 50million dollars. If i was his age and had that kind of money i dont know if i could be a football workaholic and focus all my attention on making sure i live up to my contract. I would most likely have acted like Russell or Leinart....
mlmpetert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #41
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I also love Gabbert as a prospect. He has ideal size at 6-5 and around 240, he has a very strong, accurate arm, he is athletic, and he still has a lot of upside to his game. I think I'd take him at #10 but that may be just because I'm not that impressed with most of the top players in this year's NFL Draft.

In fainess to those who don't rate him as highly as we do, I'd have to admit that taking him at #10 would be a risk. Nevertheless, even if he would be a reach in the upper third of Round 1, I think that somebody is going to take that risk. That's because there are so many QB-starved teams in the NFL right now. I actually think he could go even higher than #10 because of the widespread need for QB's. Conversely, I think that trading down from #10 and still getting him would be highly unlikely.
Exactly, when you find your guy you go draft him... All this talk about BPA, but in reality that would put Cam Newton/Ryan Mallett ahead of him who both don't fit our scheme.. In fact Mallett would absolutely fail as a Shanahan QB.

I have no doubt in my mind that if Shanny takes the time to evaluate Gabbert, he'll see that he's the best option behind Luck.. The issue is that San Francisco, Buffalo, Arizona, and maybe even Cincinnati will see the same thing, but pick ahead of us.

This might even put us in a position to move up and take Nick Fairley.. Who is without a doubt one of the most dominant defensive lineman I've seen in years.
IrMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #42
Pro Bowl
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,367
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
BTW Luck was born in DC, that would be bad ass for him to come home! HTTR
Yep, I knew that. His dad played at WV when in lived in Maryland and was a pretty good QB, nothing like his son, but still darn good. Just so you know, a lot of the experts are comparing Luck to Elway which they didn't with Bradford or Ryan.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #43
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,635
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

I have nothing but respect for Luck, but I feel the comparison to Elway is lazy. It's based mainly on them both attending Stanford.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #44
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,938
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I have nothing but respect for Luck, but I feel the comparison to Elway is lazy. It's based mainly on them both attending Stanford.
Luck looks more like Ryan to me than Elway. Elway was about as heralded as could be...Luck is maybe one small notch below. Luck reminds me of Freeman a little too with his size and mobility. They are a similar package.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: Anyone like Blaine Gabbert, he just declared for the draft

Luck and Elway is a bad comparison..

It may seem to easy to say Tom Brady is a better one, but really he is. Tom Brady is on top of everybody in the NFL right now, Andrew Luck is the equivalent in college. He handles the pocket flawlessly! His mobility when nobody is open is perfect, his play action roll out perfect, his deep ball perfect, his football IQ brilliant.. You just can't say anything negative about this guy other than his one performance that he looked human against Oregon (a la Brady vs. the Browns).

Andrew Luck will not be taken 1st overall because of a team desperate to sell some tickets and wants to take the best quarterback regardless of if he's a top 5 talent (Sanchez, I would argue Stafford). Andrew Luck will be taken because if he's anything short of a 5 time pro-bowler I think 70% of scouts would be shocked.
IrMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32887 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25