Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #241
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,733
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
I've seen Gabbert play quite a bit and dude is great..... When he stands all day BUT once that pocket caves he makes horrible decisions and isn't very accurate deep down field, has a good upside because he has a big arm but so does Mallett. I'm sticking with my guns And saying Locker will be the best QB of this draft.. Dalton is the sleeper QB with Ponder
Personally for me it's that commitment to resetting his shoulders and constantly looking downfield that has got me rooting for Gabbert (I believe the third play in that video is the first example). I think in this day and age of exotic blitzes and 250+ pound front 7 players running like safeties that you need a guy with some mobility, unless of course you can find a Peyton Manning type player that always knows where to put the ball before the defense can get to him.

To put it simply I saw a good amount of Aaron Rodgers in Gabbert even though his numbers in that game weren't ideal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL-SKINS View Post
I think it hurts him. I def think he will be there at 10. So if Shanny likes him he's ours. I hope we take him.
If I had to guess I would say that Arizona takes him at 5 while Buffalo takes Cam at 3. That leaves us with Mallet, Locker, and Dalton/Ponder. Personally I think you should always expect to reach on a QB when you're picking around 10 and beyond.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #242
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,494
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Not throwing at the combine is no big deal. He'll have his private workouts to show how well he can throw in shorts and a t-shirt.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #243
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,595
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So what do you all think of Gabbert choosing not to throw at the combine?
If it not due to injury, I think it raises flags.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #244
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

After seeing a lot of reference back to Aaron Rodgers, I was trying to determine what was different about him and Alex Smith and Jason Campbell coming out of college in the same draft year.

They all seemed to be talented, even though Alex Smith was preceived to be on another level -- which was indicated by their draft positions. So it wasn't something that only the nfl scouts saw.

I know it wasn't about winning because in Jason Campbell's senior year, Auburn finished undefeated and ranked #2.

So what was it in Rodgers that was different coming out of college -- that we should look for in a qb coming out of the draft this year (or any other year for that matter)?

Or is it an intangible trait that you can't really measure or discover until after the qb's been drafted?
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #245
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,229
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Nor do I.
He's done nothing in the 4 years he had a Washington. Sucked in the Senior Bowl and the bowl game vs Nebraska. He's inaccurate, makes bad decisions and did I mention INACCURATE?? But we should take him why?? Because he can roll out and is fast?? He should just play baseball.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #246
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,019
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
He's done nothing in the 4 years he had a Washington. Sucked in the Senior Bowl and the bowl game vs Nebraska. He's inaccurate, makes bad decisions and did I mention INACCURATE?? But we should take him why?? Because he can roll out and is fast?? He should just play baseball.
To my eyes this is a great take on Locker.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #247
Registered User
 
wilsowilso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 41
Posts: 2,841
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
He's done nothing in the 4 years he had a Washington. Sucked in the Senior Bowl and the bowl game vs Nebraska. He's inaccurate, makes bad decisions and did I mention INACCURATE?? But we should take him why?? Because he can roll out and is fast?? He should just play baseball.
It seems like you haven't watched Locker play very much if at all.

How about this take. Over the eight or nine years that Pete Carroll was at USC which was by far and away the biggest NFL factory of the last decade Carroll says that Locker is the best QB USC ever faced in his entire tenure at college footballs biggest powerhouse.

When a coach with that much experience with NFL caliber players says something like that you have to ask yourself who is a better person to evaluate a PAC 10 QB? There is no one more qualified and I mean no one on planet Earth.

Locker is a really talented football player and he has elite tools.

Sure he could be a bust, but that happens plenty with can't miss QB's.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #248
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
It seems like you haven't watched Locker play very much if at all.

How about this take. Over the eight or nine years that Pete Carroll was at USC which was by far and away the biggest NFL factory of the last decade Carroll says that Locker is the best QB USC ever faced in his entire tenure at college footballs biggest powerhouse.

When a coach with that much experience with NFL caliber players says something like that you have to ask yourself who is a better person to evaluate a PAC 10 QB?

There is no one more qualified and I mean no one on planet Earth.




This....


Also locker had by far the worst supporting cast out of the other top tier QBs in the draft. Played in a pro style system which really helps.

He's smart has a big time NFL arm and can move as well as Any QB in the draft. There's a reason why he was considered a top 5 pick last year, he decided to return to school which is a good sign, it just didn't work out as he planned.

And what QBs are you'll wanting to take instead of JL? Dont say Cam or Mallett. Gabbert would be my 2nd choice but the fact that he has never played under center pretty much is scary IMO.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #249
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,733
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
This....


Also locker had by far the worst supporting cast out of the other top tier QBs in the draft. Played in a pro style system which really helps.

He's smart has a big time NFL arm and can move as well as Any QB in the draft. There's a reason why he was considered a top 5 pick last year, he decided to return to school which is a good sign, it just didn't work out as he planned.

And what QBs are you'll wanting to take instead of JL? Dont say Cam or Mallett. Gabbert would be my 2nd choice but the fact that he has never played under center pretty much is scary IMO.
I don't doubt that Locker had a poor supporting cast, but if we bring him here and he doesn't play well then its Jason Campbell all over again. We need a QB that can perform despite not having all the pieces around him. I'll always look at a QB's performance in relation to his supporting cast but there are standards that should be met.

With McNabb for instance I didn't expect him to easily post a 90+ QB rating but I did expect him to have some distance between his TD's and INT's along with at least a 60% completion percentage (or a YPA average that made up for a sub 60% completion percentage). I also expected a reasonable amount of third downs to be converted.

Locker was suppose to be an elite QB at the collegiate level. It's not like he was paired with some poh-dunk SEC 3 yards and a cloud of dust offensive mind, but rather a respected offensive mind in Steve Sarkisan. Yet he had 4 games this past year where he failed to throw for more then 75 yards (though I think one game he might have been knocked out early).

As I said before I'm not totally opposed to Locker and theres still a part of me that thinks Shanahan can fix him if it comes down to it. However my gut keeps telling me that this is a younger and faster version of McNabb. Anyway this might shed some light on the situation.

Quote:
February 25, 2011 at 1:59 PM
Mike Shanahan compares Jake Locker to Jake Plummer
Posted by Danny O'Neil

INDIANAPOLIS -- Washington coach Mike Shanahan -- whose team holds the No. 10 overall pick in the draft -- was asked about quarterback Jake Locker and comparisons to Jay Cutler.

"I would make more similarities to Jake Plummer," Shanahan said, "because of his ability to run."

Specifically, that ability to make plays on the move, to get outside the pocket, is a strength of Locker's. When people question Locker's accuracy, it is his accuracy from the pocket. He's as accurate as any quarterback in this draft throwing on the move.

Shanahan acquired Plummer from Arizona, and he took the Broncos to the playoffs. In 2006, Plummer was benched for Cutler -- who was then a rookie -- and retired after the season.

Shanahan said at the end he only watched a few games featuring Locker and looked forward to studying him more.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #250
Registered User
 
wilsowilso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Age: 41
Posts: 2,841
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I keep hearing people compare QB prospects to D McNabb using DM as the type of player you don't want to draft.

The guy is only a borderline Hall of Famer.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #251
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,733
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
I keep hearing people compare QB prospects to D McNabb using DM as the type of player you don't want to draft.

The guy is only a borderline Hall of Famer.
As an Eagle though. As a Redskin in Shanahan's system he's a cautionary tale.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #252
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Shanny made Plummer a very solid QB, locker is a better overall athlete than Jake IMO. If we don't draft locker or Gabbert I'd just assume not take a QB this yr
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #253
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,229
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I've watched Locker play all 4 years and even if someone doesn't have a great supporting cast you can tell if they have the opportunity to be a solid player. In the senior bowl when he had a chance to show what he can do what did he do? Nothing. Matt Leinart had a great supporting cast at USC and isn't worth a squirrel fart. Also, every player in the draft is talented. You don't get this far without being talented. Just riddle me this: What has Locker done for anyone to say he is the best QB in this draft?? Because he can run??? Not buying it. AJ Green, Von Miller, or Blane Gabbert.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #254
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I've watched Locker play all 4 years and even if someone doesn't have a great supporting cast you can tell if they have the opportunity to be a solid player. In the senior bowl when he had a chance to show what he can do what did he do? Nothing. Matt Leinart had a great supporting cast at USC and isn't worth a squirrel fart. Also, every player in the draft is talented. You don't get this far without being talented. Just riddle me this: What has Locker done for anyone to say he is the best QB in this draft?? Because he can run??? Not buying it. AJ Green, Von Miller, or Blane Gabbert.

He was pretty good at UW, is he still a little raw? Yes no doubt but if you think any other QB in this draft is ready to play next year, you are mistaken. Let me ask you this my man, you say Gabbert? What has he done that Locker hasn't? Thats right Nothing, so we are in the same boat my friend just different opinions. Btw I would take Green or Miller at 10 also, BUT they won't be there. How bout we go after Matt Flynn or Kyle Orton?





Jake Locker, Washington, NFL Draft - DraftCountdown.com


pretty good assessment of Locker
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #255
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,355
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

NFL.com news: Combine could be extremely important for 2011 QB class


They mention Ponder here as well

NFL Videos: Grading the quarterbacks
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36530 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25