Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #256
The Starter
 
warriorzpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,659
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
Dilfer says it's the coaching/system changes EVERY year for Smith; that he's extremely talented and smart but never has the time to settle into a system. Same could be said for Campbell to a lesser extent, well except the extremely smart part.

Rodgers well.. smart.. same system, chance to learn, etc
So what you're saying is - the qb needs to be extremely talented and smart, and is drafted with an nfl team that provides him a system with stability and a chance to learn.

So even though a quarterback needs to be talented and smart, it appears that the success of quarterback probably has more to do with the team that drafts him and the position that's he's put in. I think you're on to something, but I think you've just scratched the surface on this.
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #257
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 239
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
His last 2 seasons weren't that bad now, did he go Sam bradford like? no but locker didn't have much help either.

Josh Freeman didn't exactly light it up at KSU either and he's turned out pretty good.
Also he managed to lead his team to a victory in the bowl game vs. Nebraska, no small feat mind you.
I also get that you don't like Locker, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But what exactly is it that makes Gabbert this superior prospect in your eyes? When you get down to brass tacks, Locker has everything a team would want in a franchise qb except for the accuracy issues in the pocket. What matters from there is whether or not a teams coaching staff feels that the accuracy issues are fixable. If they are, then I really don't see what any of the other qbs bring to the table that is superior to Locker.
Either way, I still say we pass on a qb this year and fill other holes. Look to draft one next year in what appears to be a deeper pool.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #258
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 45
Posts: 232
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Dang it 30, I get it.....you think Locker is the choice at 10. However I avoided the Locker thread because of the essays you were posting there. They honestly are bordering on the absurd. This is the Cam Newton thread...granted you alone didn't take it off course, but you have managed to force it down a singular path. I appreciate your infatuation with stats and draft knowledge, but damn man......relax.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #259
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,640
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
Also he managed to lead his team to a victory in the bowl game vs. Nebraska, no small feat mind you.
I also get that you don't like Locker, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But what exactly is it that makes Gabbert this superior prospect in your eyes? When you get down to brass tacks, Locker has everything a team would want in a franchise qb except for the accuracy issues in the pocket. What matters from there is whether or not a teams coaching staff feels that the accuracy issues are fixable. If they are, then I really don't see what any of the other qbs bring to the table that is superior to Locker.
Either way, I still say we pass on a qb this year and fill other holes. Look to draft one next year in what appears to be a deeper pool.
Isn't that like saying that "He has everything that a team needs in a #1 receiver except for speed, agility, and hands"?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #260
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSkin View Post
Dang it 30, I get it.....you think Locker is the choice at 10....This is the Cam Newton thread...granted you alone didn't take it off course, but you have managed to force it down a singular path. I appreciate your infatuation with stats and draft knowledge, but damn man......relax.
Well, Dang It BuckSkin it frustrates me when people like you make false assumptions about what I think.

First of I gotta call BS on your false finger pointing and whining.
My posts in this thread included complete game passing charts and assessments not of Locker but of Gabbert and Newton.
Other then my initial response to Dirtbag which contain more info about Gabbert then Locker you'll only find 1 other post about Locker which again was a response to Earthquake.
Since you appointed yourself the resident fascist I don't think 2 post warrants this level of whining.

Since you appear to follow my posts you should see that my post are usually responses to specific statements that other members post that I think are false or inaccurate.

And btw-If you haven't realized it yet this is actually an interent discussion forum so people are gonna have discussions.

I appreciate your concern but why don't you worry less about policing my posts and bring some football discussion to the table yourself.
Because that's why I post to discuss football not to bicker.

Hail
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #261
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
It seems like you haven't watched Locker play very much if at all.

How about this take. Over the eight or nine years that Pete Carroll was at USC which was by far and away the biggest NFL factory of the last decade Carroll says that Locker is the best QB USC ever faced in his entire tenure at college footballs biggest powerhouse.

When a coach with that much experience with NFL caliber players says something like that you have to ask yourself who is a better person to evaluate a PAC 10 QB? There is no one more qualified and I mean no one on planet Earth.

Locker is a really talented football player and he has elite tools.

Sure he could be a bust, but that happens plenty with can't miss QB's.
Seattle Seahawks acquire San Diego Chargers' Charlie Whitehurst - ESPN
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #262
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,090
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

30 We will have to agree to disagree and Locker to me is the 5th best QB in this draft to me. But I do respect your view on him and skinfaninok as well. He just seems like a complete bust, not Ryan Leaf bad though. Also, there is a reason his draft stock has plummeted so much.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #263
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 239
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Isn't that like saying that "He has everything that a team needs in a #1 receiver except for speed, agility, and hands"?
No, it's nothing of the sort. His accuracy issues may stem from footwork or a something in his throwing motion. Perhaps it's something coaches can fix, perhaps not. We don't know. What the scouts seem to know however is that he has damn near every other quality you would want in a franchise qb. Your example would be less absurd if you said "He has everything that a team needs in a #1 receiver except for elite speed".

Draft Robert Quinn or trade down.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #264
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
No, it's nothing of the sort. His accuracy issues may stem from footwork or a something in his throwing motion. Perhaps it's something coaches can fix, perhaps not. We don't know. What the scouts seem to know however is that he has damn near every other quality you would want in a franchise qb. Your example would be less absurd if you said "He has everything that a team needs in a #1 receiver except for elite speed".

Draft Robert Quinn or trade down.
There are plenty of recent examples though of receivers lacking elite speed, and going on to have productive if not pro-bowl level careers. Conversely, quarterbacks that lack fundamentals tend not to have the same success. Accuracy can be "fixed" if the problem is simple mechanics causing inconsistency, but in Locker's case, his problem is not that he has enjoyed flawed success where he over/under shoots a little too frequently, but rather, lacks basic pocket competency. The fact that he can't complete passes at an acceptable level will not be fixed because it's a trait of his passer profile.

I'm not saying that it's theoretically impossible to succeed in spite of that, but he would be the first in the modern NFL to do so.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #265
Special Teams
 
Terpfan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cumberland, Md
Posts: 239
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

So what would be your idea of accurate then? How do you define it? What numbers are you looking for?

Personally, I feel a lot of his accuracy issues may well stem from the quality of protection he had. The guy may well have had issues in the pocket due to the fact that he rarely ever had time to make his reads and got hit enough to become gun shy or hurried. He's the type of qb you take with the idea of giving him at least a year to sit and learn. Let him play in low stress situations where any mistakes he may make will have no impact on the outcome of the game so he can get a feel for the speed of the NFL. If you are drafting Locker to start in 2011, you're making a mistake. If you are drafting him to play in 2012 or 2013, then you just may be on to something. Honestly, none of the qbs in this class should be looked upon as 2011 starters, they just aren't that good.
I am however curious about Pat Devlin and intrigued by the Dalton kid. I'm interested in seeing how they all compare at the combine.
Terpfan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:25 AM   #266
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
30 We will have to agree to disagree and Locker to me is the 5th best QB in this draft to me. But I do respect your view on him and skinfaninok as well. He just seems like a complete bust, not Ryan Leaf bad though. Also, there is a reason his draft stock has plummeted so much.
Well of course we have to agree to disagree no one is out here trying to change each others minds.
For me if I see a post that I believe makes states or assumptions that I disagree I'm gonna respond.
No harm meant.
Has Locker's actual draft stock dropped or its perception has dropped?
B/c I'm of the belief that players actually scout and team evaluation don't change very much.
The draftnik community? Well that's a different story.

BTW-Blaine Gabbert seems like a total bust.

j/k
But you see how a statement like that can be made about any prospect? Its just kinda of an empty way to take a jab at prospect you don't like.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:53 AM   #267
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Conversely, quarterbacks that lack fundamentals tend not to have the same success. Accuracy can be "fixed" if the problem is simple mechanics causing inconsistency, but in Locker's case, his problem is not that he has enjoyed flawed success where he over/under shoots a little too frequently, but rather, lacks basic pocket competency. The fact that he can't complete passes at an acceptable level will not be fixed because it's a trait of his passer profile.

I'm not saying that it's theoretically impossible to succeed in spite of that, but he would be the first in the modern NFL to do so.
LoL, here we go again.
So you have Locker's issues clearly figured to a certainity?
'Lacks basic pocket competency'
And now its a 'fact' that he 'can't' complete a number of passes that you deem 'acceptable'

If you exclude Locker's freshmen and his sophmore (injured week 3 missed rest of season team went 0-12) under Willingham his comp% is 56.8%.
Which would put him just a hair ahead of:
Matt Stafford: 56.6%
it puts him a hair behind
Josh Freeman: 57.9%
and not that far off from
Matt Ryan: 59.3%
Jay Cutler: 60%

In fact Locker has a lot in common w/ those QBs guess who:

Guess who scouting report this is:
Quote:
Negatives: Inconsistent accuracy from the pocket and throwing on the run. Needs to anticipate downfield throws better, sometimes getting the ball to his receiver a second early or late. Makes poor decisions trying to make plays that aren't there, leading to turnovers. Doesn't feel back-side pressure. Lacks touch on shorter throws. Ball comes out of his hands poorly at times, negating his arm strength. Sometimes pats the ball before the throws. Loose with the ball in the pocket and as a runner. Doesn't move the pile as you'd expect in short-yardage situations, but his height allows him to be effective
Quote:
Negatives: Can get fundamentally lazy... ... Though he has an efficient overall release, should be able to speed it up for underneath screens passes to take better advantage of the surprise to the defense. ... Sloppy footwork. ... Will get lazy and throw off his back foot, which could lead to turnovers in the NFL... ... Willing to throw into tight spots, though more often than not he places the ball where it needs to be... ... Not great accuracy on crossing routes. ... Too often leads his receivers too far or forces them to reach back, slowing their momentum and limiting their ability to generate yardage after the catch.
Quote:
NEGATIVES:.......lacks top pass placement and has receivers extending vertically to pull the ball out of the air. Must improve his accuracy down the field. Lacks top footwork releasing the ball off a three step drop. Lacks pocket stature.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #268
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terpfan76 View Post
Personally, I feel a lot of his accuracy issues may well stem from the quality of protection he had. The guy may well have had issues in the pocket due to the fact that he rarely ever had time to make his reads and got hit enough to become gun shy or hurried.
I concur.
I think if Locker was as well protected as some of the other top QB prospects the perception of him would be different.

Quote:
I am however curious about Pat Devlin and intrigued by the Dalton kid. I'm interested in seeing how they all compare at the combine.
I'm not high on the Devlin kid I think people make the Flacco connection for obvious reasons but people forget that Flacco has a hand cannon that he showed off at the combine.

I like the Dalton in a second tier group of QBs after Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Mallett.

But, I like Stanzi and Ponder more...
My reasoning on Ponder/Stanzi:

While Ponder's isn't a great athlete he's a better one then people realize (better then Stanzi imo) and I suspect has a better arm then people think.
*For some reason especially around draft time people start talking about elite arm strength as if its the average in the NFL but its not.
There are plenty of good QBs w/ average arm strength; hence the term average but I digress.
I think Ponder has adequate NFL arm strength at least as much as Colt McCoy.
He has good size.
He's a senior in an pro-style offense those 2 traits are bug pluses for him.
As a senior he should be more of leader, playing in a pro-style offense he has experience doing some pre-snap reads and following progressions from under center while executing 3-5-7 step drops.
Ponder's footwork is clean and light, he has a solid consistent throwing motion.
He's been well protected and has experince getting to his 2nd and 3rd progressions.
But.
He has those injury concerns w/ his shoulder.
Despite being a 4 year player in a pro-style offense doesn't have bigtime production or efficieny numbers.(compared to Locker w/ only 2 years in a pro-style offense w/ limited talent the efficeincy numbers aren't significanlty different imo)

Stanzi shares the same traits I mentioned as positives for Ponder.
But, imo Stanzi has classic over the top throwing motion w/ the bigger arm then Ponder and proto-typical size w/o injury concerns.
Early in this draft thread I had to remind my boy Steve that 'pick 6 rick' was up there w/ everyone's darling Andrew Luck from an efficiency stand point.
And although Stanzi is also well protected he wasn't given the Fort Knox type protection afforded to Andrew Luck.
Although the great american isn't a great athlete he moves around pretty good and can throw on the run.
The main thing keeping him from the top tier QB in my eyes is lack of elite arm strength and limited playmaking ability.
But seems like a post 2nd round-mid-round QB that can come in and execute your offense w/ efficiency maybe even as rookie (ala Kyle Orton).

Neither here nor there but his over the top throwing motion and size and number remind of Brady (note I'm not saying he's the next Brady).
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:28 AM   #269
Special Teams
 
BuckSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio
Age: 45
Posts: 232
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

In reviewing this thread 30 I'm willing to concede it was not you who led this thread astray. However there is a difference between the mere mention of a QB and the inculcation of one. I've neither the time nor desire to argue through the next 5 pages on pocket accuracy, footwork or intangibles of Locker. It'll just end in your frustration of not being able to convert me to the Locker camp. BTW, I prefer discouraged Nationalist over whiny fascist.
__________________
"Any Nation willing to give up a little freedom, to gain a little security, will deserve neither, and lose both."
-Benjamin Franklin
BuckSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #270
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,090
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Well of course we have to agree to disagree no one is out here trying to change each others minds.
For me if I see a post that I believe makes states or assumptions that I disagree I'm gonna respond.
No harm meant.
Has Locker's actual draft stock dropped or its perception has dropped?
B/c I'm of the belief that players actually scout and team evaluation don't change very much.
The draftnik community? Well that's a different story.

BTW-Blaine Gabbert seems like a total bust.

j/k
But you see how a statement like that can be made about any prospect? Its just kinda of an empty way to take a jab at prospect you don't like.
Just something about Locker says bust to me. Of course Gabbert could be as well but in my view he would be the "safer" (if you can call it that) pick.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36477 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25