Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #391
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,829
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Ah so the fake smile part has you bent?

Perhaps that wasn't needed, but other than that it's really pretty similar to the report that Clausen had.

How am I gonna drag Newton into this? Well we are talking about his scouting report aren't we? And his advisor, Moon, is the one that was all irked and tossing out the race card. So I think it has something to do with Newton and his ability to handle criticism.

The race card was weak.
Ultimately teams have to make their own opinion on players and not depend on someone who barely interviewed a player and his acquaintances.

There is no race issue here. While I had some minor issues with the "fake smile" part and "always knows where the cameras are". I have to say I had more problems with the "Not Dependable" part.
I am a firm believer of a persons "actions speaks louder than words' or words of others about you. I think there is one major difference between the Clausen criticism and the recent Newton criticism". It was common knowledge even before Clausen's senior year started that there were locker room and leadership issues and that some of his teammates did not like him. I remember watching a ND game during Clausen's senior year and the TV commentators talked about it on national tv.
This is the first I am hearing about Newton having lost his locker room. Newton being described as not dependable player and, "Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable." seems to fly against all of his accomplishments and what has been said about him during his time at Auburn. Accomplishments on the field that Clausen does not bring to the table.
This thing is really a whole lot about nothing issue. When reviewing a player or employee and you have to come up with "positives" and "negatives", sometimes you can go over board about one minor thing so you don't have to spend extra time and work coming up with another talking point.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #392
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,403
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Lol, that's weak.

If I say something to about you that offends Smootsmack does that mean that you are unable to handle criticism?
So you're saying you think Newton is no way was bothered by this, and Moon was acting all alone in tossing out the race card?

Possible but I doubt it.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #393
Pro Bowl
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,391
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Throwing out the race card has become the most surefire way to distract attention from the original issue. It has become a tool and that is unfortunate.
__________________
"Cautiously And Optimistically... Looking Forward To Change"
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #394
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 79,403
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
Ultimately teams have to make their own opinion on players and not depend on someone who barely interviewed a player and his acquaintances.
Teams take info from all types of sources into account. Former coaches, teammates, friends, family, teachers, etc. You don't have to personally interview someone in order to get a pretty good feel for someone.

In fact I'd bet teams put more stock into what acquaintances say about a guy vs. a personal interview where it's easy for a kid to be coached up as to what to say and how to act.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #395
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,288
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Teams take info from all types of sources into account. Former coaches, teammates, friends, family, teachers, etc. You don't have to personally interview someone in order to get a pretty good feel for someone.

In fact I'd bet teams put more stock into what acquaintances say about a guy vs. a personal interview where it's easy for a kid to be coached up as to what to say and how to act.
This must be true especially in terms of a Combine interview, rather than a team visit, as such interviews last only 15 minutes.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #396
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,111
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
If you don't agree fine but don't cry outrage when someone (Warren Moon) is offended.
How would you feel if someone told you how to feel?
Moon wasn't offended. He knew this isn't a racial issue, but wanted to use this as leverage for his client. He had no basis whatsoever to claim racism.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Fact is Moon has been discriminated against because of his race.
If he senses the same thing to is happening to Newton he has every right to express that..
Oh, so because he's been discriminated against at somepoint in his life, it gives him the right to basically call somebody a racist before he knows the facts?

Jesse Jackson played that race card back during the Duke Lacrosse rape trial, pandered to the public, and offered to pay for this poor girl's tuition only to find out later that it was all a huge lie. It's amazing what finding out the facts will do before you open your big mouth about a issue concerning racism. I'm sure Jesse has experienced discrimination, but did it give him the right to crucify those college boys all because it was a racial issue in his mind? That shit doesn't fly with me, and pretty much why I'll never take Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton serious at all. (and now Moon)


Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Lets not confuse the issue here Norwicki's profile was personal and unprofessional and Warren Moon felt it was racial driven.
How do you know it's personal? You are claiming to know his intentions on the write up. Do you? Have you read all his reports on all his analysis on players? It seems like this isn't anything of the norm for him. If you listen to that podcast I posted a page or so back (Todd McShay), he even said he's heard similar things AND that he believed that he pretty much put the words on paper that were quoted to him. McShay said his only surprise about the review was that he used the actual words from those people, and that most of them try to be polite about it or paraphrase it another way.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:41 PM   #397
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,098
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Moon wasn't offended(a). He knew this isn't a racial issue (b), but wanted to use this as leverage for his client (c). He had no basis whatsoever to claim racism.
I don't pretend to know how Moon felt like you do in this quote.

I know Moon was offended because he said he was offended.

To claim that Moon wasn't offended(a) and that he knew this wasn't a race issue(b) is......absurd and it lets me know I would be wasting my time responding to your post any further.

HTTR
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #398
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,111
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I don't pretend to know how Moon felt like you do in this quote.

I know Moon was offended because he said he was offended.

To claim that Moon wasn't offended(a) and that he knew this wasn't a race issue(b) is......absurd and it lets me know I would be wasting my time responding to your post any further.

HTTR
You know Moon was offended because he said he was offended? Well that settles it I guess. I guess people don't lie or bullshit the public. Nope. All of those politicians up in DC are telling you the god honest truth before and after the elections. It's not like he's not getting paid by Cam Newton one bit...oh wait. Furthermore, did Moon actually even say he was personally offended? I must have missed that from the press clippings.


Besides, explain to me how he was offended by Cam Newton's draft analysis? I did read the profile correct and it did say Cam Newton and not Warren Moon? Right? Did that review criticize all black quarterbacks? Did he somehow make a connection that Cam wouldn't be good because of his skin color?

So if somebody writes something bad about you, I can then proclaim to be offended?...lol It's that how it works now? So, can I sue people when I see them write libel and offensive things about others, even though it doesn't pertain to me? Is Moon related to him? BFFs with him? In love with him? What would cause Warren Moon to be offended by a guy he barely knows except the fact he's been hired to consult him? I believe Moon was offended about as much as OJ when he said he was out looking for the real killers of his wife.

The only way Moon doesn't know this wasn't about race if he's just a absolute dumbass. Now, Moon doesn't strike me as some dummy so I'll wager good money he in fact knows this isn't about race or he likes to make claims about shit he doesn't know the facts on, which makes him a dumbass. It's either one or the other.

edit:

Last edited by NC_Skins; 04-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #399
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Warren Moon is a Hall of Famer. I do not remember him calling the guy a racist or accusing racism. What he said is that he interpreted the comments as having racial undertones. Personally, I would not have made that assumption. However, I did not endure what Moon endured early in his career so I have to beleive that he sees the world through a slightly different prism. Either way, Nawrocki's "assesment" of Cam Newton does seem to be a little like a personal attack (ex: fake smile) regardless of his motivation (which is proably just his schtick to sell his opinions).

BTW- Calling a man as accomplished as Warren Moon a "dumbass" only makes you look like one. Why are you so amped? Calm down little guy.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #400
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,111
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
BTW- Calling a man as accomplished as Warren Moon a "dumbass" only makes you look like one. Why are you so amped? Calm down little guy.
Hey, George Bush is ten times more accomplished than Warren Moon will ever be, and yet he is one of the biggest dumbasses in the history of the US. Being accomplished doesn't exclude you from being a dumbass when it comes to your views or something you say.

Why am I amped? Because I'm sick and tired of hearing the "race card" being played at every turn when something doesn't go somebody's way. It gets very old, very fast. What this does is set back the people that actually experience real racism.

There is no need for that "little guy" comment. If you can't talk using logic and respect, then stay out of the conversation.



Quote:
I do not remember him calling the guy a racist or accusing racism. What he said is that he interpreted the comments as having racial undertones

Just to refresh your memory.

Warren Moon sees racial bias regarding Cam Newton | ProFootballTalk
Quote:
A lot of the criticism hes receiving is unfortunate and racially based
Quote:
Of course there is racism in every walk of society. Weve made a lot of progress in this country. But racism is still there. I just thought in the sports arena we were beyond it. I think the way Cam is being treated shows were not. . . .
Sounds to me he's pretty much calling the guy a racist. If he's telling you the criticism is "racially based", then he's calling you a racist without actually using the word a racist.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #401
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,481
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I really don't think people are giving Nolan Nawrocki the proper respect. He's a well respected draft analyst and he's not in the business of writing things just to sell. This isn't some moron posting some lame article on Bleacher Report.

As for Moon, loved him as a QB. Absolutely loved him. (As a person, my experience with him has been limited). But he did say that some of the questions about Cam are blatant racism.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #402
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

George Bush was the President of the United States of America. He may not have been the smartest president in history, but I would have to assume it takes a certain degree of intelligence to be leader of the free world for eight years.

I have to admit that I do not know alot about Nolan Nawrocki's work. It just seems unprofessional and uncalled for to assail someone's character the way he went after Newton's. Maybe that is just his style. However, it is a style that I do not prefer from my journalists of choice.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #403
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I will also go on record and say that I hope Newton has the work ethic to set the league on fire. I think that QB's with the skill set of he, Vick and Tebow and the style they play add great spice to the league.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #404
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,288
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
George Bush was the President of the United States of America. He may not have been the smartest president in history, but I would have to assume it takes a certain degree of intelligence to be leader of the free world for eight years.

I have to admit that I do not know alot about Nolan Nawrocki's work. It just seems unprofessional and uncalled for to assail someone's character the way he went after Newton's. Maybe that is just his style. However, it is a style that I do not prefer from my journalists of choice.
Actually Bush is proof that all it takes is good advisers and truckloads of money...and Monica Lewinsky.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #405
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I really don't think people are giving Nolan Nawrocki the proper respect. He's a well respected draft analyst and he's not in the business of writing things just to sell. This isn't some moron posting some lame article on Bleacher Report.

As for Moon, loved him as a QB. Absolutely loved him. (As a person, my experience with him has been limited). But he did say that some of the questions about Cam are blatant racism.
[quote] 09:47 AM ET 04.03 | Warren Moon isn't the only person who thinks race may be a factor in the way the NFL world is perceiving Cam Newton. A high ranking NFL executive, who is white, came to the same conclusion before Moon made his comments. "If Newton were white, he'd be the first pick in the draft," he said. [unquote]

SS...any idea who that high ranking NFL executive might be?
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.33885 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25