Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #391
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I wish everyone would stop talking about this race situation.
If you don't agree fine but don't cry outrage when someone (Warren Moon) is offended.
How would you feel if someone told you how to feel?
Fact is Moon has been discriminated against because of his race.
If he senses the same thing to is happening to Newton he has every right to express that.

Also, people keep mentioning Mallett as an example that Newton isn't being treated unfairly but does Norwicki have an equally personal and scathing attack on Mallett?

Lets not confuse the issue here Norwicki's profile was personal and unprofessional and Warren Moon felt it was racial driven.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #392
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,811
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
He may have the right to be sensitive to race issues facing black qb's but it dont give him the right to speak out like he did and basically call anyone who critizes Newton a raciest. 2 wrongs dont make a right and the vast majoirty of people believe that Moon is incorrect in his argument
I agree, Moon is probably is out of line.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #393
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I wish everyone would stop talking about this race situation.
If you don't agree fine but don't cry outrage when someone (Warren Moon) is offended.
How would you feel if someone told you how to feel?
Fact is Moon has been discriminated against because of his race.
If he senses the same thing to is happening to Newton he has every right to express that.

Also, people keep mentioning Mallett as an example that Newton isn't being treated unfairly but does Norwicki have an equally personal and scathing attack on Mallett?

Lets not confuse the issue here Norwicki's profile was personal and unprofessional and Warren Moon felt it was racial driven.
Not when you compare it to past profiles PFW has done. Some very similar things were said about Jimmy Clausen just last year.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #394
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Not when you compare it to past profiles PFW has done. Some very similar things were said about Jimmy Clausen just last year.
Does previous history make it okay to be unprofessional and personal?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #395
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Does previous history make it okay to be unprofessional and personal?
Ding, ding ding...this! The writer does seem to be grossly unprofessional with borderline animosoty in the tone of his review. Personally, I'll never read his stuff.

BTW- The fake smile thing is an unecessary cheap shot, at best.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #396
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Just saying there's a history of these scouting reports touching on personality traits, it's not something unique or new with Newton's report.

They may be harsh but it's part of the total picture that teams look at before investing a ton of loot in these kids. There are a lot of sources that agree with the report on Newton too.

If I'm a GM ready to give a kid millions of dollars, I'd want to know every single piece of info on that kid, good and bad.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:03 PM   #397
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Just saying there's a history of these scouting reports touching on personality traits, it's not something unique or new with Newton's report.

They may be harsh but it's part of the total picture that teams look at before investing a ton of loot in these kids. There are a lot of sources that agree with the report on Newton too.

If I'm a GM ready to give a kid millions of dollars, I'd want to know every single piece of info on that kid, good and bad.
Preach. Fact is most scouting reports by team scouts can and do get as specific as this one, except generally the public doesn't get hold of them.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #398
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Just saying there's a history of these scouting reports touching on personality traits, it's not something unique or new with Newton's report.

They may be harsh but it's part of the total picture that teams look at before investing a ton of loot in these kids. There are a lot of sources that agree with the report on Newton too.

If I'm a GM ready to give a kid millions of dollars, I'd want to know every single piece of info on that kid, good and bad.
The scouting indusrty has been around forever and imo the personal aspects are both the most important and the most difficult for fans to know.

I can't imagine any actual former scouts (btw Narwocki is a media scout like McShay or Kiper and to my knowledge has never been an actual scout) would ever write public report of that nature, especially based on 2nd hand opinion. (We all know full well that right about now a team GMs/scouts/official will say anything short of out right lies about their opinions of the prospects)

Behind closed doors different people are gonna have different views of prospects based on personality which by its very nature is subjective.

You can allude to a players off the field concerns or personality concerns in a professional manner without becoming personal.

Imo its a sad commentary on the nature and general direction of media at large.

But, kudos to Nolan I bet PFW has never received this many hits.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #399
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
The scouting indusrty has been around forever and imo the personal aspects are both the most important and the most difficult for fans to know.

I can't imagine any actual former scouts (btw Narwocki is a media scout like McShay or Kiper and to my knowledge has never been an actual scout) would ever write public report of that nature, especially based on 2nd hand opinion. (We all know full well that right about now a team GMs/scouts/official will say anything short of out right lies about their opinions of the prospects)

Behind closed doors different people are gonna have different views of prospects based on personality which by its very nature is subjective.

You can allude to a players off the field concerns or personality concerns in a professional manner without becoming personal.

Imo its a sad commentary on the nature and general direction of media at large.

But, kudos to Nolan I bet PFW has never received this many hits.
Well, that's your interpretation of it. I don't think it's personal, it's business. If Newton can't handle it he's probably not going to be able to handle a lot of things at the next level.

Funny, I don't remember the public outrage last year when these things were said about Clausen:

Quote:
Has a sense of entitlement, having attended private schools, worked with private QB coaches and being sheltered by his family, who bought a house on campus so his brothers had a place to stay for every game. Arrogant-can come off as having all the answers and struggle to win a locker room. Still immature. Comes across as overly staged, scripted and disingenuous in interviews and does not have the type of presence desired in the face of a franchise.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #400
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Well, that's your interpretation of it. I don't think it's personal, it's business. If Newton can't handle it he's probably not going to be able to handle a lot of things at the next level.
Its the business of drumming up sales through saying something out of bounds.

And how are you gonna drag Newton into this?

"If Newton can't handle it" really?

How are you gonna spin this into Newton can't handle it?


Quote:
Funny, I don't remember the public outrage last year when these things were said about Clausen:
I didn't read the part about him having a 'fake smile'.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #401
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,509
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Ah so the fake smile part has you bent?

Perhaps that wasn't needed, but other than that it's really pretty similar to the report that Clausen had.

How am I gonna drag Newton into this? Well we are talking about his scouting report aren't we? And his advisor, Moon, is the one that was all irked and tossing out the race card. So I think it has something to do with Newton and his ability to handle criticism.

The race card was weak.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #402
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,968
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Nolan Nawrocki isn't some schlub. He's a former Division 1 football player whose opinion has been extremely well received by many, if not all, NFL front offices. And he wasn't the one who put his report of Cam Newton online everywhere. And it's not his fault one of the first times the common fan is getting access to a full report on a player is this time.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #403
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
How am I gonna drag Newton into this? Well we are talking about his scouting report aren't we? And his advisor, Moon, is the one that was all irked and tossing out the race card. So I think it has something to do with Newton and his ability to handle criticism.
Lol, that's weak.

If I say something to about you that offends Smootsmack does that mean that you are unable to handle criticism?
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #404
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Nolan Nawrocki isn't some schlub. He's a former Division 1 football player whose opinion has been extremely well received by many, if not all, NFL front offices. And he wasn't the one who put his report of Cam Newton online everywhere. And it's not his fault one of the first times the common fan is getting access to a full report on a player is this time.
Nolan Nawrocki responds to Warren Moon’s claim of racial bias | ProFootballTalk

Here is the full Nolan Nawrocki Newton Scouting report:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Cam Newton scouting report
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #405
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,939
Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Ah so the fake smile part has you bent?

Perhaps that wasn't needed, but other than that it's really pretty similar to the report that Clausen had.

How am I gonna drag Newton into this? Well we are talking about his scouting report aren't we? And his advisor, Moon, is the one that was all irked and tossing out the race card. So I think it has something to do with Newton and his ability to handle criticism.

The race card was weak.
Ultimately teams have to make their own opinion on players and not depend on someone who barely interviewed a player and his acquaintances.

There is no race issue here. While I had some minor issues with the "fake smile" part and "always knows where the cameras are". I have to say I had more problems with the "Not Dependable" part.
I am a firm believer of a persons "actions speaks louder than words' or words of others about you. I think there is one major difference between the Clausen criticism and the recent Newton criticism". It was common knowledge even before Clausen's senior year started that there were locker room and leadership issues and that some of his teammates did not like him. I remember watching a ND game during Clausen's senior year and the TV commentators talked about it on national tv.
This is the first I am hearing about Newton having lost his locker room. Newton being described as not dependable player and, "Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable." seems to fly against all of his accomplishments and what has been said about him during his time at Auburn. Accomplishments on the field that Clausen does not bring to the table.
This thing is really a whole lot about nothing issue. When reviewing a player or employee and you have to come up with "positives" and "negatives", sometimes you can go over board about one minor thing so you don't have to spend extra time and work coming up with another talking point.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31383 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25