Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


26-27-60 QB formula

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 12:50 PM   #31
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

I haven't seen a lot of solid research on the predicitive value of the wonderlic. I know it used to have none, but it does seem like players who have performed poorly on the wonderlic are also being treated tougher by the NFL coaches when they get there (see: Young, Vince). So perhaps we're reaching a point where the wonderlic matters for quarterbacks.

I still don't buy it though. If the head coach is going to hold a bias against players who are...slower to pick up the offense, then fire the coach, not the player.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #32
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I'm AWARE NC Skins! I've liked lived in Atlanta for like a good while now, ya know, like totally. I like know how much he used to suck.The point is he's found a way to......unsuck? Thereby qualifying him as an exception to the rule. Of course he had to see the light for our division rival. Thanks Vick, you're the gift that keeps giving.
I don't think Vick sucked, I think Vick was sometimes in the wrong system. The other times he failed to wait for the play to develope or simply decided to make the play on his own. In other words if Vick was more of a team player the team might have gotten farther but it seemed like he was a one man show. Other teams knew if they wanted to stop the Falcons all they had to do was stop or contain Vick.

Unfortunatly he's older and has become wiser and knows he can't do everything himself so he is now finally relying on teamates to help him out.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
BleedBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,469
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
That seems a bit unfair. There are probably a lot of history majors/liberal arts students that are very bright, that don't know how many feet are in a yard at that age. The concern would be w/how well he can memorize numbers & variations of plays. Doesn't make him dumb, but he may have to work harder to memorize the playbook.
unfair my ass. that's a question any junior high student should be able to answer without thinking.
__________________
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #34
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
I haven't seen a lot of solid research on the predicitive value of the wonderlic. I know it used to have none, but it does seem like players who have performed poorly on the wonderlic are also being treated tougher by the NFL coaches when they get there (see: Young, Vince). So perhaps we're reaching a point where the wonderlic matters for quarterbacks.

I still don't buy it though. If the head coach is going to hold a bias against players who are...slower to pick up the offense, then fire the coach, not the player.
I agree with you, however I think some QB's picked up by teams are picked up because of their ability and not looked at if they would fit the scheme the team runs.

and on another note how many HC's who pick up a QB build the scheme around the QB? I think when you see a really bad team go out and pick up a QB and the next year they are in the playoff hunt I start thinking the HC did a good job of changing up his scheme to what the QB does best. Then there is the HC that simply say the QB needs to learn the plays. I think the latter is ok for a team who already has a starting QB and picks one up in the draft to ride the bench a few yrs to learn the play calls.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
The Starter
 
drew54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: IOWA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,290
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Stanzi 30 - 32 - 59.8%

Missed it by .02.
__________________
No pressure, no diamonds.
drew54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #36
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,338
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I'm AWARE NC Skins! I've liked lived in Atlanta for like a good while now, ya know, like totally. I like know how much he used to suck.The point is he's found a way to......unsuck? Thereby qualifying him as an exception to the rule. Of course he had to see the light for our division rival. Thanks Vick, you're the gift that keeps giving.
Bottomline Vick has won where ever he has been, that tends not to show up in individual stats. Those Atlanta teams he won with were borderline horrible. Thats always the bullsh*t excuse...yeah vick sucks blah blah blah, he keeps showing up leading teams to the playoffs, weird?
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #37
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,847
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Bottomline Vick has won where ever he has been, that tends not to show up in individual stats. Those Atlanta teams he won with were borderline horrible. Thats always the bullsh*t excuse...yeah vick sucks blah blah blah, he keeps showing up leading teams to the playoffs, weird?
Great point. Winning does not always show up on the stat sheet. In fact some of the WR's and Qb's with incredible stats are on losing teams that have to pass all the time because they are always behind or are one dimensional.
The Denver Broncos of the last couple of years come to mind. If you throw the ball every down and lose, who cares if you have the #1 WR stats?
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #38
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,528
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Bottomline Vick has won where ever he has been, that tends not to show up in individual stats. Those Atlanta teams he won with were borderline horrible. Thats always the bullsh*t excuse...yeah vick sucks blah blah blah, he keeps showing up leading teams to the playoffs, weird?

You mean the same teams that led the league in rushing and had an above average defense? No, you're right. It was Vick and those ESPN highlights that carried them to glory...lol

It's funny, that basically the same team that Vick played with did so much better with Matt Ryan (11-5 in fact). Wonder why that is?

Child please.
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Randy Moss 12, Chris Johnson 10, Frank Gore 6? Has anyone taken a wonderlic? I'm far from a genius and I could still score in the 20's if I was blind drunk. It's amazing how stupid some of these guys are.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #40
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,532
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Randy Moss 12, Chris Johnson 10, Frank Gore 6? Has anyone taken a wonderlic? I'm far from a genius and I could still score in the 20's if I was blind drunk. It's amazing how stupid some of these guys are.
I took the Wonderlic. So did my dog, who scored a 12.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #41
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,104
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Randy Moss 12, Chris Johnson 10, Frank Gore 6? Has anyone taken a wonderlic? I'm far from a genius and I could still score in the 20's if I was blind drunk. It's amazing how stupid some of these guys are.
Well in all fairness, these guys are football players not scholars.
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #42
Special Teams
 
Counter-Tre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Venice Beach, CA
Age: 41
Posts: 302
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Great memory turns Gabbert into top prospect - NFL - Yahoo! Sports


A piece on Gabbert's great memory and ability to pick up things fast.
Yeah, that piece made me covet him for the Skins. Doubt that will happen but a fan can dream can't he?
Counter-Tre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #43
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,938
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Tyrod Taylor is a poor man's version of Pat White. He's definitely not as good as White was in college, and he's not a NFL type of QB. Maybe he can follow in the footsteps of Randal El and return punts for a .35/yard average.
I think Tyrod is just about the exact same player as White. White had a better system with better players around him. Of course White has been a washout in the NFL so what does it matter? I still like Taylor a lot for some reason. He didn't get near the credit he deserved last season. He should have been in the discussion for Heisman.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #44
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,636
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Randy Moss 12, Chris Johnson 10, Frank Gore 6? Has anyone taken a wonderlic? I'm far from a genius and I could still score in the 20's if I was blind drunk. It's amazing how stupid some of these guys are.
I believed they changed it to take place in the morning, and I'm not sure when they did...but the Wonderlic used to be administered at the end of a long day of physical workouts and interviews. So imagine you've spent several hours doing physical tests (lifts, sprints, etc), running through position drills, speaking with coaches and front office execs, and then you're given less than 15 minutes to take this test
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #45
Special Teams
 
takethecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD
Age: 26
Posts: 281
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I agree with you, however I think some QB's picked up by teams are picked up because of their ability and not looked at if they would fit the scheme the team runs.

and on another note how many HC's who pick up a QB build the scheme around the QB? I think when you see a really bad team go out and pick up a QB and the next year they are in the playoff hunt I start thinking the HC did a good job of changing up his scheme to what the QB does best. Then there is the HC that simply say the QB needs to learn the plays. I think the latter is ok for a team who already has a starting QB and picks one up in the draft to ride the bench a few yrs to learn the play calls.
Interesting you should mention that because McNabb and Kyle Shanahan illustrate some of the scenarios that presents. Trying to explain why McNabb didn't perform that well last season, you could say it was McNabb's ineptitude at learning a new playbook, the Shanahan's "inflexibility" in accommodating him, or other factors (questionable OL, no receivers, etc).

The real question: assuming you can attribute some of McNabb's struggles to having trouble learning the playbook, could that have been predicted based on his Wonderlic score? Or could Andy Reid have predicted McNabb's poor clock management abilities?

IMO, way too many factors to say definitively that there's a clear link between the two. But at the same time, it's definitely in the back of my mind during talent selection. I think GMs should pay attention to the 26-27-60 forumula.
takethecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30313 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25