Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


26-27-60 QB formula

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #61
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,839
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
All of this over analyzing, off season testing, college completion % really doesn't mean anything. All that matters is what a guy does once he gets on a team and adjusts to the pro game. Out of all of these QB's, which one can come in and command an NFL playbook? Which one can get hit in the mouth and get up and throw a td pass? Which one is mentally tough or can maybe play through pain? We're really not going to know until they get drafted and start playing.
Thank you. I am tired of all of the speculation and opinion. Can not wait for the draft to be here and for the season to start. As usual we will all be proved wrong once the rookie QB's got on the NFL field. Who will be the next diamond in the rough Tom Brady? That is what people will notice, not the top QB's that were expected to be good.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #62
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,441
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
The accuracy or predictive value of forecasting is a myth.

It leads to this type of spurious logic:


Its also a myth that comp%=accuracy.
Accuracy is about ball placement and ball placement can only be determined by watching a QB throw a tedious amount of throws.

Its also a myth that comp% is a variable that one can reasonably isolate and attribute to the QB alone without factoring in scheme, personnel i.e pass protection and receiver talent.

At the end of the day QB evaluation and football evaluation in general doesn't lend itself to evaluation through stats alone.
Locker is the weirdest prospect I've seen in terms of accuracy.


Quote:
Spent early career in option-heavy system and last two seasons in pro-style offense with lousy pass protection. Has become a product of environment, as a result. Is more comfortable throwing under fire while on the run than from within the pocket. He has excellent accuracy when throwing on the run and/or outside the pocket (approximately 70-percent in 2010). Oregon State 2010 game is a good example (completed 71.4-percent of throws outside the pocket compared to 57-percent of throws inside the pocket). Looks least comfortable when he's in pocket going through progression reads. He has a long stride at times, which throws off his balance and prevents him from transferring weight from back-to-front. He appears to be thinking too much about mechanics and does not look natural unless he's throwing from on the run.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #63
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,536
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Locker needs some good coaching IMO. I think a lot of his issues are with mechanics, mainly footwork. Correctable stuff at the next level. If he had real accuracy problems, he wouldn't have gone 40/42 at his pro day. Even at a scripted workout, balls would be hitting the dirt or sailing over people's heads if he had a real problem with throwing the football.

I'd be more concerned with someone like Newton, who threw some god awful balls at his pro day.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #64
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,441
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Locker needs some good coaching IMO. I think a lot of his issues are with mechanics, mainly footwork. Correctable stuff at the next level. If he had real accuracy problems, he wouldn't have gone 40/42 at his pro day. Even at a scripted workout, balls would be hitting the dirt or sailing over people's heads if he had a real problem with throwing the football.

I'd be more concerned with someone like Newton, who threw some god awful balls at his pro day.
At the very least Lockers accuracy problems aren't nearly as black and white as some want to believe.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #65
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,441
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Also looks like I was wrong about Ponder being a third round pick.
Schefter: Dalton, Ponder both likely to go in first round | ProFootballTalk

No matter. Next Friday the Redskins will draft Locker at 10 and suddenly the title of Warpath Rain Man will be mine. ALL MINE!
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #66
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Also looks like I was wrong about Ponder being a third round pick.
Schefter: Dalton, Ponder both likely to go in first round | ProFootballTalk

No matter. Next Friday the Redskins will draft Locker at 10 and suddenly the title of Warpath Rain Man will be mine. ALL MINE!
I respectfully offer that you have undervalued Ponder, our future Pro Bowl QB, all along.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #67
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,441
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I respectfully offer that you have undervalued Ponder, our future Pro Bowl QB, all along.
Well in my defense it was never me assigning him a third round grade. If I had to grade him I would say late first is where he deserves to go based on his talent.

The reason I kept on saying that he was a third round pick was based on what happened to Colt McCoy last year being pretty similar. The main difference between the two is that Colt was more accomplished but Ponder had experience in a pro style offense making the two a push. In fact I thought that Ponders injury concerns were much worse then that of Colts going into last year.

Still maybe I'm overreacting to this speculation as I've heard it before. Most notably with Chris Simms in the days leading up to the draft. So in the end maybe I'll be right in terms of where I've said he'll be drafted. However I wouldn't bat an eye if Ponder ended up as a late first round pick.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #68
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,442
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Well in my defense it was never me assigning him a third round grade. If I had to grade him I would say late first is where he deserves to go based on his talent.

The reason I kept on saying that he was a third round pick was based on what happened to Colt McCoy last year being pretty similar. The main difference between the two is that Colt was more accomplished but Ponder had experience in a pro style offense making the two a push. In fact I thought that Ponders injury concerns were much worse then that of Colts going into last year.

Still maybe I'm overreacting to this speculation as I've heard it before. Most notably with Chris Simms in the days leading up to the draft. So in the end maybe I'll be right in terms of where I've said he'll be drafted. However I wouldn't bat an eye if Ponder ended up as a late first round pick.
I think you are right on with your Colt McCoy example. We keep hearing that tons of QB's will be taken in the first round this year but McCoy's example makes that seem unlikely. Yes, there are many teams that need QB's and have no recourse to free agency, making this year different. But most of the QB's this year are not immediate starters so I still don't see a first round stampede. This is not a 1983 crop. A run on QB's in the second round, maybe, but there are too many top-quality defensive players this year which will demand first round choices.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #69
Playmaker
 
irish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,571
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Locker needs some good coaching IMO. I think a lot of his issues are with mechanics, mainly footwork. Correctable stuff at the next level. If he had real accuracy problems, he wouldn't have gone 40/42 at his pro day. Even at a scripted workout, balls would be hitting the dirt or sailing over people's heads if he had a real problem with throwing the football.

I'd be more concerned with someone like Newton, who threw some god awful balls at his pro day.
I agree with you about Newton. Theisman was on the radio here in DC saying that he is shocked Carolina is talking about taking Newton #1 when he doesnt think he's even 1st round material. JT thinks Newton only has 1 year as a starter in an O where the QB runs alot plus when he does throw he has accuracy problems and that doesnt bode well for success as an NFL QB. For once I agree with JT.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #70
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,993
Re: 26-27-60 QB formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Well in my defense it was never me assigning him a third round grade. If I had to grade him I would say late first is where he deserves to go based on his talent.

The reason I kept on saying that he was a third round pick was based on what happened to Colt McCoy last year being pretty similar. The main difference between the two is that Colt was more accomplished but Ponder had experience in a pro style offense making the two a push. In fact I thought that Ponders injury concerns were much worse then that of Colts going into last year.

Still maybe I'm overreacting to this speculation as I've heard it before. Most notably with Chris Simms in the days leading up to the draft. So in the end maybe I'll be right in terms of where I've said he'll be drafted. However I wouldn't bat an eye if Ponder ended up as a late first round pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I think you are right on with your Colt McCoy example. We keep hearing that tons of QB's will be taken in the first round this year but McCoy's example makes that seem unlikely. Yes, there are many teams that need QB's and have no recourse to free agency, making this year different. But most of the QB's this year are not immediate starters so I still don't see a first round stampede. This is not a 1983 crop. A run on QB's in the second round, maybe, but there are too many top-quality defensive players this year which will demand first round choices.
Agree with the quick consensus. We're hearing that seven different passers could go in round one. That's nominally true. But I don't think more than one or two teams are going to be able to go up into the first round to get guys they like because of the limit of what they can give up.

Then the recent history shows that: while Colt McCoy and Jimmy Clausen had first round draft profiles, not only did teams not trade up into the first round to get them, no team traded up at all to get them.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29621 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25