Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Grade the Redskins 2011 draft class
A 34 28.33%
B 73 60.83%
C 12 10.00%
D 1 0.83%
F 0 0%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #76
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,131
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

I haven't sifted through all of this thread yet but here is my initial analysis:

Good to see the front office acknowledge that this team is more than just a player or two away. Moving back multiple times to pick up extra picks was absolutely the way to go in this draft. We need players at pretty much every position so to add 12 rookies to the mix is great to see.

I love that in the scouting profiles I'm reading about these guys some common traits keep jumping off the page. Things like hard worker, passion for the game, leader, high character, etc. So not only are we restocking the team with much needed youth and adding competition at key spots, we've placed an emphasis on character and guys that are going to work their tails off whether it's on the field or off. More than anything that's what I really loved about our draft. Hopefully in a few years we can look back on this draft and see it as a crucial turning point in the building of a winner.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #77
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,262
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I think they're high on Riley and Blades has been waiting around for a while. I'd prefer those two and let Fletch move on.
Blades is horrible. Riley and Henson probably are the front runners...Greg Jones ILB from Mich St woulda been a nice pick to add to the mix
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:37 AM   #78
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,123
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I haven't sifted through all of this thread yet but here is my initial analysis:

Good to see the front office acknowledge that this team is more than just a player or two away. Moving back multiple times to pick up extra picks was absolutely the way to go in this draft. We need players at pretty much every position so to add 12 rookies to the mix is great to see.

I love that in the scouting profiles I'm reading about these guys some common traits keep jumping off the page. Things like hard worker, passion for the game, leader, high character, etc. So not only are we restocking the team with much needed youth and adding competition at key spots, we've placed an emphasis on character and guys that are going to work their tails off whether it's on the field or off. More than anything that's what I really loved about our draft. Hopefully in a few years we can look back on this draft and see it as a crucial turning point in the building of a winner.
I agree with what you said about the common personal traits of our draftees. I would also add to that that I noticed a common thread of good production and improvement over at least two years on their college teams. That constitutes a certain amount of proof that they will work hard, in my opinion.

I also noticed that the defensive players who were drafted have shown the ability to be disruptive. There were a lot of TFL's and forced fumbles caused by this group. I think that is an indication of the type of defense the Redskins want to build.

I think that this was a well thought out and researched draft by the Redskins in terms of the personal traits and football skills that they wanted to add to their roster. As an aside, I can't believe that I actually typed the previous sentence after all these miserable years.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #79
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I haven't sifted through all of this thread yet but here is my initial analysis:

Good to see the front office acknowledge that this team is more than just a player or two away. Moving back multiple times to pick up extra picks was absolutely the way to go in this draft. We need players at pretty much every position so to add 12 rookies to the mix is great to see.

I love that in the scouting profiles I'm reading about these guys some common traits keep jumping off the page. Things like hard worker, passion for the game, leader, high character, etc. So not only are we restocking the team with much needed youth and adding competition at key spots, we've placed an emphasis on character and guys that are going to work their tails off whether it's on the field or off. More than anything that's what I really loved about our draft. Hopefully in a few years we can look back on this draft and see it as a crucial turning point in the building of a winner.
I could not agree more.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #80
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,879
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

All in all I loved the draft philosophy this year. Never thought I could enjoy trading down so much. The draft strategy gets an A in my books.

However I hate drafting skill positions when we have holes in the trenches and all over the team. I can live with Hankerson in the 3rd... fine. But I don't love that 5 of our next 6 picks after round 2 were WRs or RBs.

Who exactly is gonna throw to these receivers? Rexy from his back? And who will open holes for our RBs? I can look past the RBs since Shanny has had success in this area in the past and I don't mind getting him the guys he needs to work his system. But so many WRs?

And of course the elephant in the room is still our QB situation. I now suspect we will target a QB in free agency. I find it hard to believe we'll go thru all of 2011 with just Beck and Rexy. And if we're waiting to draft our QB next year that's fine, but the whole world will know it. There will be no hiding our intentions whatsoever.

Anyways all being said I give them a B on the 2011 draft.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #81
MVP
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,494
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Without searching the thread, I may have given it a B early on, but I changed my mind and gave it an A, based on potential alone. It may end up being less than that, but if you had told me on Wednesday, that we add 3 strong possible starters, and several class characters/hard workers I think I would have been very happy.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #82
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

I give the overall draft strategy a solid B. I would have given it an A if it had netted us Jake Locker...but oh well.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #83
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

I give this draft a B...I like the trade downs for extra picks to hopefully improve the overall depth of the roster.

However, this grade becomes an F if Gabbert develops into a franchise QB. You can not pass on a franchise QB when you don't have one. They obviously feel Gabbert is not one...and I hope to god they were right.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #84
Playmaker
 
Longtimefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germantown, Md.
Posts: 4,832
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I haven't sifted through all of this thread yet but here is my initial analysis:

Good to see the front office acknowledge that this team is more than just a player or two away. Moving back multiple times to pick up extra picks was absolutely the way to go in this draft. We need players at pretty much every position so to add 12 rookies to the mix is great to see.

I love that in the scouting profiles I'm reading about these guys some common traits keep jumping off the page. Things like hard worker, passion for the game, leader, high character, etc. So not only are we restocking the team with much needed youth and adding competition at key spots, we've placed an emphasis on character and guys that are going to work their tails off whether it's on the field or off. More than anything that's what I really loved about our draft. Hopefully in a few years we can look back on this draft and see it as a crucial turning point in the building of a winner.
Sweet!! No words could express it any better than that.
__________________
A revolution is coming and it will be televised.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #85
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32 View Post
I give this draft a B...I like the trade downs for extra picks to hopefully improve the overall depth of the roster.

However, this grade becomes an F if Gabbert develops into a franchise QB. You can not pass on a franchise QB when you don't have one. They obviously feel Gabbert is not one...and I hope to god they were right.
Passing for 16 touchdowns in a pass happy spread offense....I'll pass.
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #86
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Actually, come to think of it...we're ok at center. Monty was adequate and Lich can play there too. Looks like Shanahan may be hunting for guards in FA(and banking on BMW's return). Yeah, we could have picked up another C, but he'll be behind Monty and Lich.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #87
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,216
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
All in all I loved the draft philosophy this year. Never thought I could enjoy trading down so much. The draft strategy gets an A in my books.

However I hate drafting skill positions when we have holes in the trenches and all over the team. I can live with Hankerson in the 3rd... fine. But I don't love that 5 of our next 6 picks after round 2 were WRs or RBs.

Who exactly is gonna throw to these receivers? Rexy from his back? And who will open holes for our RBs? I can look past the RBs since Shanny has had success in this area in the past and I don't mind getting him the guys he needs to work his system. But so many WRs?

And of course the elephant in the room is still our QB situation. I now suspect we will target a QB in free agency. I find it hard to believe we'll go thru all of 2011 with just Beck and Rexy. And if we're waiting to draft our QB next year that's fine, but the whole world will know it. There will be no hiding our intentions whatsoever.

Anyways all being said I give them a B on the 2011 draft.
CC,

In fairness, do you really think a mid-round QB is going to start for this team or get significant play time? Most midround QBs take a while to get ramped up, if they ever do. Meanwhile RBs can typically play as rookies. WRs have a learning curve too. I understand filling the trenches, but I like that we spread it out some. I'm glad we focused on offense at least a little.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #88
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
Passing for 16 touchdowns in a pass happy spread offense....I'll pass.
Okay...I agree...I didn't love him either. All I am saying is I hope they were right.

The only thing that bothers me about this draft is that Locker was not there at #10. I am not even saying they needed to do anything different. It's just that after a year and a half of rumors about how much Shanny loved Locker I would have liked to see what they would have done if he were on the board. If he still trades down then i know the rumors were not true...if he drafts him then obviously it was true. I just want to know.
__________________
Section 115 Row 23

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

http://victorybeer.com/
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #89
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,131
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Kinda hard to grade the draft considering we haven't had free agency yet. Once we sign some free agents the reasons behind the approach we took in the draft will come into focus.

For example if we had already signed a couple of offensive lineman would we be bitching about not drafting one til the later rounds? Probably not. Or if we already had picked up a starting QB would we be crying about not drafting one? Again probably not.

For now I give the draft a solid B. Loved the approach of adding multiple picks and drafting high character guys.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #90
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,879
Re: Redskins Draft Analysis Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
CC,

In fairness, do you really think a mid-round QB is going to start for this team or get significant play time? Most midround QBs take a while to get ramped up, if they ever do. Meanwhile RBs can typically play as rookies. WRs have a learning curve too. I understand filling the trenches, but I like that we spread it out some. I'm glad we focused on offense at least a little.
No I agree a mid-round QB would likely not be an immediate answer. But at least we'd have a young QB on the roster. Then next year we could gauge his progress and decide if we wanna dip in the draft for another QB.

What happens at the 2012 draft if we're still sitting with Rex and Beck at QB? We'll reek of QB desperation.

Anyways just food for thought. I'm definitely not trying to put a downer on this draft, I thought they did an awesome job overall.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31574 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25