Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2012 QB Class

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #61
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: 2012 QB Class

It's pretty tough to tell who is going to have success in the NFL, just ask paid NFL scouts and GM's. There's just as many misses as hits.

Outside of Luck, there are no gimmee's. I'll root for Russell Wilson b/c he's a hometown guy, but there's not too many QB's under 6 ft to have great success in the NFL. I'll trust MS on this one.
redsk1 is offline  

Advertisements
Old 10-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #62
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,025
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
yeah, since every highly rated qb prospect has been a success in the nfl...

just because he is the "second best qb in the draft" doesn't mean he will be a good nfl player. i said that im not sold on him being a good pro, thats a gut feeling from what i've seen from him. i guess that means i "don't know anything about football" since i dont agree with you or some gurus though.

anyways, i liked the little bit i saw from barkley last night. he was going through progressions and looked accurate, and even showed a little mobility.
I asked the original question honestly and without an edge: why don't you like Landry Jones?

I like him a lot although I admit that his accuracy declines significantly when he is on the move. It seems to me, though, that this problem is fixable.

Is there something else which you don't like about him?
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #63
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,025
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Been watching ND vs. USC. Not impressed w/Barkley. Lots of bubble screens, speed outs and other quick passes under 10 yds that inflate numbers. At least three throws that weren't very tight at all (Kilmer-esque) with no pressure. Mobility is OK at NCAA, he'll get killed outside the pocket in the NFL. I think Barkley would benefit from another year in the NCAA. He will take some time to be successful at the next level. I don't see his upside as high as Bradford's. I wouldn't take him in this draft.
IMO you nailed it, Sammy. There is a lot to like about Barkley such as his quick release. But he throws some ducks and has NCAA but not NFL speed. As he ages he will more and more resemble Grossman (who was somewhat mobile in college) in terms of mobility.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.

Last edited by Lotus; 10-23-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Lotus is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #64
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,551
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsk1 View Post
It's pretty tough to tell who is going to have success in the NFL, just ask paid NFL scouts and GM's. There's just as many misses as hits.

Outside of Luck, there are no gimmee's. I'll root for Russell Wilson b/c he's a hometown guy, but there's not too many QB's under 6 ft to have great success in the NFL. I'll trust MS on this one.
I agree with this post. Lately, I've been trying to catch more college games on TV to see some of the top QB prospects and I find that, other than Luck (who is tremendous), I'm not able to completely sell myself on any of the others. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about a number of the current crop of star college QB's but, still, there are things about each of them that make me uneasy. For example:

Kellen Moore - He is one of the great college QB's of all time. Extremely productive. A winner. Yet size and arm strength are important in the pros and he is lacking in those areas. Could he succeed in the NFL? I think I'd be a fool to say he couldn't but he will have to overcome the physical attributes that he lacks.

Landry Jones - I was pleased to see him in a situation where he needed to lead a comeback against Texas Tech. I think I learned more about him because of that situation. I felt that he handled the pressure of the comeback well. He made some excellent throws to help get his team back in the game. He felt where the pass rush pressure was coming from and showed the strength to shake off tacklers and good footwork to elude them, as well, to make plays. I liked that.

Jones has a very strong arm. He can make all the necessary throws. He has very good size for the pros and he is apparently a better athlete than I thought.

On the negative side, his accuracy is inconsistent, he throws a flat deep ball, he tries to force throws a little too much, and he has not been as successful in the Red Zone as he should be.

Overall, I think that he has a chance to be a very good pro QB. Sometimes I think that the thing I hold against him most is that he is not Sam Bradford.

Matt Barkley - I really, really want to like Matt Barkley more than I do. Yet when I see him play, he looks like the dreaded "game manager" to me. He is very smart and polished. He makes a lot of good throws, if primarily dinky ones. Perhaps he's trapped in the offense USC runs. Remember the old joke: "Who was the only man to hold Michael Jordan under 20 points per game?" The correct answer is "Dean Smith." Is Lane Kiffin holding Barkley back?

Barkley has good size, a good arm, and a good brain. Some NFL team is going to pay to find out if he can become the leader of their team.

Robert Griffin, III - RGIII is a very intriguing prospect. He is such a phenomenal athlete at he QB position that teams may fear not picking him in the draft more than they fear picking him. He's not the most polished QB in the draft but he can make plays that the others couldn't dream of making. He is a running threat with big time arm. I think he throws the deep ball very well. He has the size teams like. He might be the best of the bunch behind Luck.

Nevertheless, I haven't yet seen enough of him to form a strong opinion about him as a prospect. From the little I've seen, I think that RGIII may have possibly have the tools to be an outstanding NFL QB.

Last edited by KI Skins Fan; 10-23-2011 at 12:52 PM.
KI Skins Fan is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #65
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,972
Re: 2012 QB Class

I'd actually be pretty surprised if RGIII even declared for this year's draft
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #66
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I asked the original question honestly and without an edge: why don't you like Landry Jones?

I like him a lot although I admit that his accuracy declines significantly when he is on the move. It seems to me, though, that this problem is fixable.

Is there something else which you don't like about him?
that wasnt in response to you, but the other guy.

with regards to landry jones i see a guy who throws a lot of screens and slants with little pressure in his face. he has good short accuracy and gets rid of the ball quickly. however, as mentioned earlier his deep ball isnt the best and hes not overly mobile. im not sure about his intangibles either. he could end up being a pro bowler, im just not sold quite yet.
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #67
The Starter
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,191
Re: 2012 QB Class

My NFL QB Prospect Ratings in Order:

Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
RGIII
Nick Foles
Ryan Tannehill
Landry Jones
Kellen Moore
Kirk Cousins

Id be happy with any one them being on the Skins next year, gotta take a chance with qbs.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 10-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #68
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,025
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
that wasnt in response to you, but the other guy.

with regards to landry jones i see a guy who throws a lot of screens and slants with little pressure in his face. he has good short accuracy and gets rid of the ball quickly. however, as mentioned earlier his deep ball isnt the best and hes not overly mobile. im not sure about his intangibles either. he could end up being a pro bowler, im just not sold quite yet.
Ok, fair enough. I see him as more mobile than you do but he's no RGIII for sure. Thank you for the intelligent analysis.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #69
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,442
Re: 2012 QB Class

i could see kirk cousins becoming a good game manager but not a lot more than that
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #70
Registered User
 
Landry44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 299
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
Been watching ND vs. USC. Not impressed w/Barkley. Lots of bubble screens, speed outs and other quick passes under 10 yds that inflate numbers. At least three throws that weren't very tight at all (Kilmer-esque) with no pressure. Mobility is OK at NCAA, he'll get killed outside the pocket in the NFL. I think Barkley would benefit from another year in the NCAA. He will take some time to be successful at the next level. I don't see his upside as high as Bradford's. I wouldn't take him in this draft.
You got to look at his whole body of work and not just one game. This guy is solid all across the board. I just do not believe that he is as good as he's hyped up to be.
Landry44 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #71
Registered User
 
Landry44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 299
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
yeah, since every highly rated qb prospect has been a success in the nfl...

just because he is the "second best qb in the draft" doesn't mean he will be a good nfl player. i said that im not sold on him being a good pro, thats a gut feeling from what i've seen from him. i guess that means i "don't know anything about football" since i dont agree with you or some gurus though.

anyways, i liked the little bit i saw from barkley last night. he was going through progressions and looked accurate, and even showed a little mobility.
No offense brother. I just can't see how anyone who knows anything about qbs can believe that Landry Jones doesn't have all the tools and intangibles to make a excellent pro. This is one of the best qb draft classes I have ever seen. Jones would be a top ten pick in any draft. Him being the second best qb in this draft says a lot about him.
Landry44 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #72
Registered User
 
Landry44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 299
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
My NFL QB Prospect Ratings in Order:

Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
RGIII
Nick Foles
Ryan Tannehill
Landry Jones
Kellen Moore
Curt Cousins

Id be happy with any one them being on the Skins next year, gotta take a chance with qbs.
Kellen Moore would be a top ten pick if he was at least 6'2. He's amazing passer in my opinion.
Landry44 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #73
The Starter
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 31
Posts: 1,191
Re: 2012 QB Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landry44 View Post
Kellen Moore would be a top ten pick if he was at least 6'2. He's amazing passer in my opinion.
I would be happy if the Redskins picked Moore, any round besides the 1st or 2nd would be ok with me.

The thing is the Skins have needs at so many positions still, I cant pick in what order what position we should draft for. QB in the 1st or 2nd should be a lock but besides that, best player available I guess (Not including TE or Safety.)
sdskinsfan2001 is offline  
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #74
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: 2012 QB Class

Kirk Cousins impressed me this week.

Nick Foles is really impressive to me, he reminds me of a smarter Jay Cutler.

Landry Jones doesn't impress me, he over throws guys a lot.

I'm not sold on Tannehill, because he's only been a QB for a season and a half.

Matt Barkley looks like another Leinart, just with a stronger arm.
CultBrennan59 is offline  
Old 10-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #75
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,734
Re: 2012 QB Class

Anytime someone has to justify a QB by saying he's a winner I get scared in a way that guys do when getting set up on a blind date and the first thing you hear about the girl is she has a great personality.

I mean why don't people ever call Andrew Luck a winner? Look what he's done with that Stanford program in a sport where schools with high academic standards usually are at a huge disadvantage.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30907 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25