Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

There are already rumblings that it won't be a happy pairing of Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning if the Colts try to draft Luck with Manning in the camp. Archie Manning has come out against the Colts trying to pick Luck with Manning coming back from his injury and has noted that he has talked to Oliver Luck, they are friends and former teammates so there's likely something to what he is saying from the Luck camp.

Here's my thought, Luck is in a no win situation REGARDLESS if he goes to the Colts. Let's assume that Manning is still there. That sets up a situation which will be awkward at best, at worst a waste of a couple of years for the #1 overall pick who is, as many scouts claim, the most pro ready QB since, well, Peyton Manning.

Let's now assume that Manning is gone. Say what you will about Manning but he is regarded as one of the top QB of this era and a sure fire Hall of Famer. With Aaron Rodgers being the exception, following in the footsteps of a legend is often difficult ground to traverse. Especially in today's environment of hyperactive media and outrageous fan expectations. That's going to be an almost impossible dual standard to live up to-Luck's hype already combined with replacing a legend. We see now that the Colts maybe a few drafts from being competitive again so is that the best situation to walk into?

As ugly as those "I don't want to play here" situations often appear at the time, they usually work out for the best so I won't be surprised if this spring we see the Luck family try to pull this. What do you think, should they?
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Won't matter when the Colts go on a 3 game winning streak passing the Vikings who will secure the first round pick and take Luck, then trade us Christian Ponder for our 3rd round pick and Niles Paul...

I think the Colts are kind of secretly hoping Manning retires

But as to your question. If they did try to pull that the pressure would be just as intense wherever he goes because it will be seen as "This guy think he's so good that even before he takes an NFL snap he thinks he can dictate where he plays. Well let's see what you got Eli...I mean, Andrew"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Won't matter when the Colts go on a 3 game winning streak passing the Vikings who will secure the first round pick and take Luck, then trade us Christian Ponder for our 3rd round pick and Niles Paul...

I think the Colts are kind of secretly hoping Manning retires

But as to your question. If they did try to pull that the pressure would be just as intense wherever he goes because it will be seen as "This guy think he's so good that even before he takes an NFL snap he thinks he can dictate where he plays. Well let's see what you got Eli...I mean, Andrew"
I'm sure there will be some of that but for a QB starved market, I think that will subside rather quickly if he's successful. I mean today, how many of us when we think of Eli automatically go to his draft day? For Giants fans I'd think they love the trade, they won a Super Bowl and the Chargers haven't plus despite giving up what they did they are still perennially competitive. The Eli criticisms go much deeper than his pre-draft antics.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,397
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

I don't see it happening. Does Luck have some incredible desire to play somewhere? Is he adamantly opposed to playing for Indi?

I think the "Following a legend" works just as well as forcing the issue. In addition, to Rogers, there is the Steve Young example (slightly different b/c he had played in the USFL). Quite frankly, with rookies and back-ups, you just don't know until you know.

If I am Indi, no way I trade out Luck unless there is an obscene offer on the table. As in, multiple number 1's, multiple picks this draft, etc. Manning is almost done, they are the ulitmate QB driven team, built to score points and play with a lead. It's the culture of the team.

If I am Luck, and I am confident of my ability, I am happy to sit for a year or two behind P.Manning, watch, and learn. The big money and wins will come, I'd rather go to a team used to winning but having an off year rather than a losing team that is counting on me to save them.

I am sure this will be stirred up but I think the announcement "With the first pick of the 2012 draft, the Indianapolis Colts choose Luck of Stanford" is a given.
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #5
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
I don't see it happening. Does Luck have some incredible desire to play somewhere? Is he adamantly opposed to playing for Indi?

I think the "Following a legend" works just as well as forcing the issue. In addition, to Rogers, there is the Steve Young example (slightly different b/c he had played in the USFL). Quite frankly, with rookies and back-ups, you just don't know until you know.

If I am Indi, no way I trade out Luck unless there is an obscene offer on the table. As in, multiple number 1's, multiple picks this draft, etc. Manning is almost done, they are the ulitmate QB driven team, built to score points and play with a lead. It's the culture of the team.

If I am Luck, and I am confident of my ability, I am happy to sit for a year or two behind P.Manning, watch, and learn. The big money and wins will come, I'd rather go to a team used to winning but having an off year rather than a losing team that is counting on me to save them.

I am sure this will be stirred up but I think the announcement "With the first pick of the 2012 draft, the Indianapolis Colts choose Luck of Stanford" is a given.
Any competitor would hurl at what I bolded. There's no way that anyone with a modicum of competitive spirit or pride will be fine with 'sitting for a year of two'. That's not how pro athletes are wired. As a competitor, don't plug me in to what's already winning, I want to be the guy who leads us out of the doldrums and into glory.

End of the day, the Colts will still likely draft him but don't you think the Luck family can make it very interesting and uncomfortable?
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,016
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Luck will not sit a year he's too good for that. Colts aren't trading Manning I'm still saying they will trade the 1st Pick or maybe do a SD With ELI type trade
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,821
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Luck will not sit a year he's too good for that. Colts aren't trading Manning I'm still saying they will trade the 1st Pick or maybe do a SD With ELI type trade
Who aside from Cle. has the ammunition to move up for him? The cost would be staggering.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,016
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Who aside from Cle. has the ammunition to move up for him? The cost would be staggering.

If Cle or Us have the 3rd or 4th pick It won't be that much to move up
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,821
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
If Cle or Us have the 3rd or 4th pick It won't be that much to move up
That'd be amazing, and I would be on board if we could swing it, but I just can't see that happening (not that the FO makes decisions based on my approval, anyway... though they should). If the Colts were picking between Luck and Manning, I say they have to go Luck. The NFL is so much of a "what have you done for me lately" type league that I think Manning will be an afterthought in Indy next season.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
Who aside from Cle. has the ammunition to move up for him? The cost would be staggering.
Polian reportedly said the price starts at 3 first round picks. He's a crackhead if he thinks he's getting that though. Three top 40 picks would do it if a team had that or maybe a first, second plus next years first and third is realistic.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
That'd be amazing, and I would be on board if we could swing it, but I just can't see that happening (not that the FO makes decisions based on my approval, anyway... though they should). If the Colts were picking between Luck and Manning, I say they have to go Luck. The NFL is so much of a "what have you done for me lately" type league that I think Manning will be an afterthought in Indy next season.
Would you do 3 first round picks if they were over 4 years? So 2012, 2013, 2015 for example?
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,016
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Do I think Oliver will do this? No. Do I Want Oliver to do this? Yes, because that betters our chances of getting him.

exactly
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,878
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Do I think Oliver will do this? No. Do I Want Oliver to do this? Yes, because that betters our chances of getting him.
If you were in his shoes and considering your son (not any particular team) as your #1 priority, would or should you? That's the question.
__________________
FREE RG3!
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 51
Posts: 8,397
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Any competitor would hurl at what I bolded. There's no way that anyone with a modicum of competitive spirit or pride will be fine with 'sitting for a year of two'. That's not how pro athletes are wired. As a competitor, don't plug me in to what's already winning, I want to be the guy who leads us out of the doldrums and into glory.

End of the day, the Colts will still likely draft him but don't you think the Luck family can make it very interesting and uncomfortable?
Are you a sports psychologist? A GM? Personally know a broad spectrum of professional players? If you do, okay. I'll accept your judgment. If not, based on my own second hand experiences and following sports and atheletes for 40 some odd years, I would suggest that many extremely competitive guys like to be plugged into a winning situation and are willing to wait their turn as long as the guy in front of them is succeeding. This is not to say these guys are not wanting the start but are willing "take one for the team". Rivers did it with Brees for 2 years, didn't like it, but wasn't divisive about it either - I think we can agree that Rivers is just a touch competitive.

Obviously, he would want to play. Obviously, he would want to win. I don't mean to say he would be blase about it or not give a damn, but sitting year or two behind Peyton Manning is different than sitting a year or two behind R. Grossman. If you truly want to be the best, don't you think - just maybe - he would want to see how the best plays? Maybe it's the maturity thing again and I'm looking at with the eyes of the "been there, done that" 40-something as opposed to my 24 year old self.

Don't plug you into a winner?? Oh please. You think these guys come out wanting to play for losing teams?
__________________
You aren't worth the water in my spit but, maybe, just maybe, you're worth the lead in my shotgun.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 12-07-2011 at 12:36 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,821
Re: Should Oliver Luck pull a power play on the Colts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Would you do 3 first round picks if they were over 4 years? So 2012, 2013, 2015 for example?
Paintrain, are you actually Bruce Allen seeking my approval?

So realistically, we would only be giving 2 first rounders (2013 and 2015). Hell, I'd do that.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.38721 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25