Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #436
The Starter
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 2,063
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
Because of the weather? The system? ... They're in position to draft RG3. The greatest deep thrower I have ever seen in college football, and his speed is at least at Mike Vick's level.

Flynn is not Hasselback. Just like Colt McCoy is not Brett Favre.
Yeah, I have to admit that you are probably right. But stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Realistically, I have to admit that the only way for the Skins to ensure that they will get RGIII is to trade with St. Louis to get the #2 pick.

If we accept that premise and we assume that the Skins want RGIII, then some questions remain:

1. Would St. Louis trade the pick?
2. Would Cleveland trade up to get RGIII?
3. Are there any other teams that would try to trade up for RGIII?
4. Would the Skins be willing and able to outbid all of the other teams?
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #437
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Yeah, I have to admit that you are probably right. But stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Realistically, I have to admit that the only way for the Skins to ensure that they will get RGIII is to trade with St. Louis to get the #2 pick.

If we accept that premise and we assume that the Skins want RGIII, then some questions remain:

1. Would St. Louis trade the pick?
2. Would Cleveland trade up to get RGIII?
3. Are there any other teams that would try to trade up for RGIII?
4. Would the Skins be willing and able to outbid all of the other teams?
1. I think they do if they feel that the drop off in talent from Kalil to Reiff/Martin is worth it. They can't draft either at Seattle's pick, but can at Miami's pick and this should make the Dolphins a factor.
2. No. Why would they? They have needs everywhere, if a team goes up and drafts RG3, they likely get Blackmon... who may even be a BETTER talent. Cleveland has a new GM who likes his draft picks, they made a trade to get more draft picks. They will use the draft picks.
3. Miami. Jets might try, but their pick is too late for St. Lou or Minny.
4. It's weird because RG3 is actually the PERFECT QB for both Shanny's. RG3 can throw deep as well as any college QB Kyle will ever scout, perfect fit. RG3 can throw on the run as well as any college qb Mike will ever scout, perfect fit. It comes down to whether or not the Skins are stubborn in their "gathering picks" mentality, or just think there's a slight chance he drops.
__________________
One of Canada's two Redskins fans.
IrMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #438
Playmaker
 
freddyg12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,540
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Yeah, I have to admit that you are probably right. But stranger things have happened in the NFL.

Realistically, I have to admit that the only way for the Skins to ensure that they will get RGIII is to trade with St. Louis to get the #2 pick.

If we accept that premise and we assume that the Skins want RGIII, then some questions remain:

1. Would St. Louis trade the pick?
2. Would Cleveland trade up to get RGIII?
3. Are there any other teams that would try to trade up for RGIII?
4. Would the Skins be willing and able to outbid all of the other teams?
Good synopsis; my answers in order; 1) yes, 2) yes, 3) yes, 4) no

Even if his combine/personal workouts are avg. I think RGIII is going to blow up in pre-draft hype; he's M. Vick w/brains! I won't be surprised if the debate furthers on RGIII v. LUck.

I think there are other teams that would trade up & I think Cleveland holds the cards. If they really want him I don't see Allen & Shanny going too far in a bidding war. We have a couple extra picks in this draft but that's nothing to what Cleveland has.

If Cleveland isn't interested in trading up, someone else will be this year's 2011 Atlanta; willing to give up 4-5 picks or so to get him. I would be really surprised if this regime is willing to do that. Unless of course, the Danny gets involved!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #439
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
1. I think they do if they feel that the drop off in talent from Kalil to Reiff/Martin is worth it. They can't draft either at Seattle's pick, but can at Miami's pick and this should make the Dolphins a factor.
2. No. Why would they? They have needs everywhere, if a team goes up and drafts RG3, they likely get Blackmon... who may even be a BETTER talent. Cleveland has a new GM who likes his draft picks, they made a trade to get more draft picks. They will use the draft picks.
3. Miami. Jets might try, but their pick is too late for St. Lou or Minny.
4. It's weird because RG3 is actually the PERFECT QB for both Shanny's. RG3 can throw deep as well as any college QB Kyle will ever scout, perfect fit. RG3 can throw on the run as well as any college qb Mike will ever scout, perfect fit. It comes down to whether or not the Skins are stubborn in their "gathering picks" mentality, or just think there's a slight chance he drops.
4. Maybe. Still not convinced RGIII is a pro style qb. Maybe he is, but I'm a little leary.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #440
Mr. Brightside
 
Big C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Age: 28
Posts: 4,439
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

we wont get RG3 unless we trade up. whether or not one of the teams ahead of us grabs him or not, another team will try to trade up to grab him, like a miami
__________________
"I don't care what nobody say I'm a be me, stay hood stay real, cause I'm out here grindin'" -Joe Gibbs
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #441
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
1. I think they do if they feel that the drop off in talent from Kalil to Reiff/Martin is worth it. They can't draft either at Seattle's pick, but can at Miami's pick and this should make the Dolphins a factor.
2. No. Why would they? They have needs everywhere, if a team goes up and drafts RG3, they likely get Blackmon... who may even be a BETTER talent. Cleveland has a new GM who likes his draft picks, they made a trade to get more draft picks. They will use the draft picks.
3. Miami. Jets might try, but their pick is too late for St. Lou or Minny.
4. It's weird because RG3 is actually the PERFECT QB for both Shanny's. RG3 can throw deep as well as any college QB Kyle will ever scout, perfect fit. RG3 can throw on the run as well as any college qb Mike will ever scout, perfect fit. It comes down to whether or not the Skins are stubborn in their "gathering picks" mentality, or just think there's a slight chance he drops.

#4- I think your right about the other answers but this one I have some issues with. My issues center around a question I keep asking and that is will the Shanahan's use plays best suited for RGIII abilities or will they expect him to fit in their scheme? I ask because they started Grossman and everyone wanted Beck because of his mobility. After 4 games they made the switch and we all expected to see improvement and Beck possibly running for first downs if need be, but that's not what we got we got Beck sitting in the pocket more then Grossman and no runs for first downs.

I see RGIII and I see Cam Newton and although we fans would be happy with that I could see KS calling plays that keep RGIIi in the pocket more often like they did with Beck, totally not using the mobility to our advantage. Which is my point, do we need RGIII if they want a pocket passer? Maybe the coaching staff is looking at some other QB who has pocket presence.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #442
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,388
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

If they want a QB to stand in the pocket I think they will go with Ryan Tannehill kind of reminds be of Big Ben from the steelers.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #443
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
#4- I think your right about the other answers but this one I have some issues with. My issues center around a question I keep asking and that is will the Shanahan's use plays best suited for RGIII abilities or will they expect him to fit in their scheme? I ask because they started Grossman and everyone wanted Beck because of his mobility. After 4 games they made the switch and we all expected to see improvement and Beck possibly running for first downs if need be, but that's not what we got we got Beck sitting in the pocket more then Grossman and no runs for first downs.

I see RGIII and I see Cam Newton and although we fans would be happy with that I could see KS calling plays that keep RGIIi in the pocket more often like they did with Beck, totally not using the mobility to our advantage. Which is my point, do we need RGIII if they want a pocket passer? Maybe the coaching staff is looking at some other QB who has pocket presence.
There's a key thing you forgot to bring up though man. RG3 creates a lot of these plays on his own. He feels the pressure in the pocket and rather than just falling into the fetal position like we're so used to with Campbell and Grossman, RG3 can turn a sack into 20 yards up the field. A rare ability.

We'll have to forget about John Beck at some point, because he wasn't good enough to throw the ball 10 yards, never mind run it 10 yards.
__________________
One of Canada's two Redskins fans.
IrMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #444
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,617
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
There's a key thing you forgot to bring up though man. RG3 creates a lot of these plays on his own. He feels the pressure in the pocket and rather than just falling into the fetal position like we're so used to with Campbell and Grossman, RG3 can turn a sack into 20 yards up the field. A rare ability.

We'll have to forget about John Beck at some point, because he wasn't good enough to throw the ball 10 yards, never mind run it 10 yards.
It only takes keeping the play alive. Brady, the Mannings, Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner. They didn't win super bowls because they could dart 20 yards downfield whenever there was pressure. Pocket presence and making quick, decisive decisions is the key. RGIII will need to prove he can be an elite passer in the NFL if he's going to win anything. The ability to run is just a bonus. Rely on it too much and hello IR.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #445
Impact Rookie
 
IrMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 636
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Deezel View Post
It only takes keeping the play alive. Brady, the Mannings, Big Ben, Rodgers, Warner. They didn't win super bowls because they could dart 20 yards downfield whenever there was pressure. Pocket presence and making quick, decisive decisions is the key. RGIII will need to prove he can be an elite passer in the NFL if he's going to win anything. The ability to run is just a bonus. Rely on it too much and hello IR.
I just don't understand what you guys expect..

What more do you want a college quarterback to show you? RG3 is the best deep thrower I have ever seen in college football and he has Michael Vick speed. He's a GAMER. Give me this type of quarterback to run my offense every decade please.
__________________
One of Canada's two Redskins fans.
IrMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #446
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 15,750
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
I just don't understand what you guys expect..

What more do you want a college quarterback to show you? RG3 is the best deep thrower I have ever seen in college football and he has Michael Vick speed. He's a GAMER. Give me this type of quarterback to run my offense every decade please.
While it is great that RG3 has the ability to take off when the situation calls for it, I think his mobility comes in more handy when it comes to moving around in the pocket and extending plays. I think QBs like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb in his prime, and Romo have that ability, without being a run-first QB like Vick back in the days or Tebow.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried

"Give an opinion and move on. Your life doesn't depend on winning the internet." -FRPLG
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #447
Special Teams
 
SkinItup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 155
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
While it is great that RG3 has the ability to take off when the situation calls for it, I think his mobility comes in more handy when it comes to moving around in the pocket and extending plays. I think QBs like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb in his prime, and Romo have that ability, without being a run-first QB like Vick back in the days or Tebow.
tebow doesn't run first, he hesitates first.
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #448
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,424
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

I just can't see us looking back and saying, "man so glad we got that corner in the second round instead of trading up for RGIII." Bottom line nothing will happen for this team on a regular basis until they get a QB. They might be able to squeeze out a playoff appearance with mediocre QB play, but to me that seems like a waste of a great defense and running game (seeing as how thats what it'll take to get their without good QB play).
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #449
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,900
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I just can't see us looking back and saying, "man so glad we got that corner in the second round instead of trading up for RGIII." Bottom line nothing will happen for this team on a regular basis until they get a QB. They might be able to squeeze out a playoff appearance with mediocre QB play, but to me that seems like a waste of a great defense and running game (seeing as how thats what it'll take to get their without good QB play).
You really gotta stop making sense.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #450
The Starter
 
44Deezel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Davidsonville
Posts: 1,617
Re: And with the 6th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the redskins select...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
I just don't understand what you guys expect..

What more do you want a college quarterback to show you? RG3 is the best deep thrower I have ever seen in college football and he has Michael Vick speed. He's a GAMER. Give me this type of quarterback to run my offense every decade please.
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for RGIII. I'm just not falling in love with his mobility, and hope they compare his overall QB skills (not just his deep ball) vs. the other options available at QB. Would hate to see us sell the farm to get him when some Eli Manning-like donk taken in the 2nd or third round goes on to win Super Bowls for some team that gave up nothing but a draft pick to get him. If they assess him to be the best QB in the draft, go get him. I'd just about ignore his mobility for now.
44Deezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34172 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25