Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Because of his height he gets compared to the 6'6"ish Ryan Mallett. But that's not fair because Brock is a much better athlete.

Still, I don't know that he's the right fit for us.

Still, waiting to see if Tyler Wilson declares. I think he'd be a great fit
Wilson would be a good fit with the way he drives the football down the field. I guess beyond how well he would work in this offense though, I'm just not overly blown away by Wilson. He seems to lack a lot of the abilities that made Ryan Mallett a special player in that system.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Seems like there are a lot of QB prospects that are getting discussed around here as if they are extremely well-regarded. Does anybody know how many QBs are coming out that people like McShay, Mayock, Kiper, etc. would assign a first round grade to?

I hear Tannehill, Foles, this Osweiler guy, several others. Can you draftniks help a brother out and explain where each guy is slotted by the experts? It kind of feels like there are 10 first round QBs this year, a little perspective would be valuable.
Luck, Griffin, Tannehill won't get out of the first round. I just don't think there's any way that Osweiler will either. That's a GTripp opinion right now, as he's really only a second or third round value as a passer coming out. But so was Cam Newton.

Foles could end up being the third guy off the board or the fifth guy off the board.

The best value in this draft (outside of Kellen Moore, who just seems like he's going to get horribly undervalued because you can't look at him and think "first round quarterback") will end up being Cousins because 1) he has first round ability and profiles favorably to one or two of the guys I listed above, and 2) he's just going to get buried into the third round (if not later) by the remarkable depth of this draft.

Basically, you're looking at two guys going in the top five or six picks (or three if the Redskins reach), and another two or three going before the end of the first round. Foles isn't going to make it past pick 40. So that's five guys who will be gone by the time the Redskins are slated to pick in round 2.

And IMO, two other guys with first round quarterback abilities who are going to get driven down the board because of highly superficial concerns about their ability to hold up in the pros as starters. And, well, because supply exceeds demand so that someone is going to get driven down.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 35
Posts: 8,365
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Luck, Griffin, Tannehill won't get out of the first round. I just don't think there's any way that Osweiler will either. That's a GTripp opinion right now, as he's really only a second or third round value as a passer coming out. But so was Cam Newton.

Foles could end up being the third guy off the board or the fifth guy off the board.

The best value in this draft (outside of Kellen Moore, who just seems like he's going to get horribly undervalued because you can't look at him and think "first round quarterback") will end up being Cousins because 1) he has first round ability and profiles favorably to one or two of the guys I listed above, and 2) he's just going to get buried into the third round (if not later) by the remarkable depth of this draft.

Basically, you're looking at two guys going in the top five or six picks (or three if the Redskins reach), and another two or three going before the end of the first round. Foles isn't going to make it past pick 40. So that's five guys who will be gone by the time the Redskins are slated to pick in round 2.

And IMO, two other guys with first round quarterback abilities who are going to get driven down the board because of highly superficial concerns about their ability to hold up in the pros as starters. And, well, because supply exceeds demand so that someone is going to get driven down.
Cool that's helpful. So from your point of view - assuming we can't get Luck or Griffin - you're probably hoping to see us be patient and sometime after Round 1 snatch up whichever talented QB drops further than he should on draft day?
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
Special Teams
 
SkinItup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 155
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
I think his size is a huge advantage as he should be harder to tackle and he can see over the line which the current starter struggles to do. Plus his accurate pocket passing style lends itself to success in the NFL much more than RGIII's run and throw semi-accurate passes style does.
add on top of that he won't get batted down nearly as often as grossman
SkinItup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #20
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Cool that's helpful. So from your point of view - assuming we can't get Luck or Griffin - you're probably hoping to see us be patient and sometime after Round 1 snatch up whichever talented QB drops further than he should on draft day?
I think that would be a good strategy for any team w/QB need, though I'm not sure it's a luxury the current coaching staff has.

I think it seems to be breaking in a certain way that Tannehill and Osweiler (and this is just speculation, particularly in Osweiler's case) will be overvalued assets on draft day while Kellen Moore, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles will be undervalued. But that doesn't mean I would wait around until the top four QBs get taken to make a move in the draft to get a QB. I could see Philadelphia targeting Osweiler in the first round and so I may be willing to have the Redskins trade up ahead of Philly to get him, IF they think he can play. Sure, that'd be reaching for him, but the guy has a boatload of talent.

I'm also not sure how Brandon Weeden will play into this. He will on some level, but at 29 years old next year, I'm one of those who believes his advanced age calls everything about his college career into question. When you see it in numbers, it was a really sensational career and someone will take him in the mid rounds for his abilities, but then I go back on tape and watch Kellen Moore against Weeden and it's easy to see why he will be lost in the depth of this class.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,815
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Only saw one ASU game and it was against Boise. This guy looked like shit. Maybe cause it was against a tough opponent but I just wasn't impressed. He seemed to move pretty well for a big guy, but he wasn't accurate, threw into coverage, missed open wr's, he needs another year of college ball IMO.

Another thing,..Pac Ten QB's really seem to be tough to grade cause they play in a conference that doesn't play defense. How many Pac Ten Qb's have come into the NFL and failed?? Ryan Leaf, Andrew Walter, Kyle Boller, Tommy Maddox, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Todd Marinavich, Kellen Clemons, John David Booty, Matt Leinart...Sanchez is turing out to be not as good as advertised. I'm probably missing a few but I don't think a conference has had more misses than the Pac Ten. Of course the best Pac Ten QB of all time is Mark Rypien!!!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 7,899
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Only saw one ASU game and it was against Boise. This guy looked like shit. Maybe cause it was against a tough opponent but I just wasn't impressed. He seemed to move pretty well for a big guy, but he wasn't accurate, threw into coverage, missed open wr's, he needs another year of college ball IMO.

Another thing,..Pac Ten QB's really seem to be tough to grade cause they play in a conference that doesn't play defense. How many Pac Ten Qb's have come into the NFL and failed?? Ryan Leaf, Andrew Walter, Kyle Boller, Tommy Maddox, Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Todd Marinavich, Kellen Clemons, John David Booty, Matt Leinart...Sanchez is turing out to be not as good as advertised. I'm probably missing a few but I don't think a conference has had more misses than the Pac Ten. Of course the best Pac Ten QB of all time is Mark Rypien!!!
Aaron Rodgers, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Jim Plunkett and Troy Aikman weren't too shabby.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth

Last edited by SFREDSKIN; 01-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #23
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,815
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Aaron Rodgers, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, Jim Plunkett and Troy Aikman weren't too shabby.
Agreed.. although Plunkett didn't have success until much later on in his career. My point is Pac Ten QB's seem to have more guys taken early that fail, for what ever reason.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,028
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Agreed.. although Plunkett didn't have success until much later on in his career. My point is Pac Ten QB's seem to have more guys taken early that fail, for what ever reason.
The Pac 10 was better defensively when Plunkett and Fouts played.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,843
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

I think we can't discount the fact that anyone named Brock is an undeniable douche.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

IDK Brandon Weeden looked good in his bowl game beating Stanford with Luck. Weeden is 6-4 and is around 218lbs. I'd take him in the 2nd round, whoever is the best WR in the 1st round and pick up a FA QB.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
The Starter
 
mbedner3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,843
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
IDK Brandon Weeden looked good in his bowl game beating Stanford with Luck. Weeden is 6-4 and is around 218lbs. I'd take him in the 2nd round, whoever is the best WR in the 1st round and pick up a FA QB.
The major downside is that he is already 28. When he acclimated fully to the nfl he'll be 31-32ish. I'd rather have someone far younger that we can mold.
mbedner3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
The major downside is that he is already 28. When he acclimated fully to the nfl he'll be 31-32ish. I'd rather have someone far younger that we can mold.
Let me ask you this.... serious question.... Luck or RGIII is going to acclimate to the NFL better or quicker? You basically saying that he will take 2-4 yrs to acclimate. Newton didn't take that long. Tebow didn't take that long. The QB I wanted the team to take and didn't Andy Dalton was supposed to be a 3rd ro 4th rounder this time last year... he didn't take 2-4 yrs to acclimate.

I'm not pointing a finger at you but some fans here get one player in mind and tune themselves out to any other options.

Luck- is the only good QB. We have to do whatever it costs to get him.

RGIII- Luck will be gone, RGIII is a qualified next best, we have to sell the farm to leap the Browns to get him.

Tannehill- is a decent 2nd rounder that won't be there then cause some team will over reach in the 1st round for him because they don't want to lose out on the QB battles this year.

Everyone else- not worthy.

VETS:

Flynn- Although being in the league for a few years, stayed with the same team the whole time, knows the WCO systems, and has filled in nicely now and then..... basically has not proved himself so he's not worthy.

Hoyer(N.E)- See above.

Orton- No better, no worse then Grossman. Failed with the Bears..demoted..traded. Failed with Bronco's... demoted.

Cassel- 30y/o, although is safer with the ball and does not throw as many INT's, he was not spectacular with the Cheifs. If he fits this style of WCO and its similar to what the Patriots run offensively then bring him, otherwise pass due to age and declining talent.

I know I'm being cynical but this is almost how everyone acts. Out of the bunch apparently there is no good QB's. There will be a need to bring in a Vet to replace Beck. Apparently Crompton is staying so they can evaluate him further as Preseason fodder. Whether Grossman stays or goes is the biggie, if he stays obviously there will only be a need for 1 Vet, if he goes I'd imagine the team bringing in two Vets and signing a Rookie possibly two one being a UDFA. Letting all 5 QB's compete; Vet, Vet, Crompton, Rookie, UDFA. In the end I see Vet, 1st or 2nd round Rookie, UDFA.

and if we are all in for new talent, non aged QB's, healthy, and can play in the NFL, and have not been beaten up then I'd take:

Flynn/Hoyer (Vet)
Tannehill/Weeden (Developmental Rookie)
Late Draft Pick/UDFA (Practice Squad)
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #29
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 9,471
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
The major downside is that he is already 28. When he acclimated fully to the nfl he'll be 31-32ish. I'd rather have someone far younger that we can mold.
YEEooow. I hope that is like....dog years. Was he in the service or just a slow learner? Well, on the positive side I guess he knows about 63 ways to kill a man with his bare hands. That should help with the occasional overzealous Linebacker....
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
“God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.” – Joe Gibbs
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #30
The Starter
 
budw38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern,Va.
Posts: 2,424
Re: Arizona State QB Brock Osweiler declares for NFL Draft

Kellen Moore , BSU , maybe rd 2 or 3 .
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31049 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25