Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

NFL Draft Central


Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,487
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
and I'd say yes. No different then how it used to be, giving a drafted QB a ton of money and he hasn't played at all in the NFL. Atleast we know what Flynn can do and what he might be able to do in our system vs. RGIII whom we have no clue if he will do well or not.

But the key is there is a Rookie CAP so there would not be a ton of money dished out to both.
The way I'm looking at it is with the Rookie Cap, it's much cheaper to invest in the high draft pick rookie than it would be the free agent. And with other teams in need of a QB (Seahawks, Miami, possibly Cleveland as well) if it was an either or thing, I would choose the draft pick. What if we invest a lot of money into Flynn, have him tied up for the next few seasons, and he completely bombs after year one?

I think ONLY if the deal is backloaded with incentive based money.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline  

Advertisements
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
The way I'm looking at it is with the Rookie Cap, it's much cheaper to invest in the high draft pick rookie than it would be the free agent. And with other teams in need of a QB (Seahawks, Miami, possibly Cleveland as well) if it was an either or thing, I would choose the draft pick. What if we invest a lot of money into Flynn, have him tied up for the next few seasons, and he completely bombs after year one?

I think ONLY if the deal is backloaded with incentive based money.
I understand where your coming from, and agree with you but the problem is no one knows how any QB will turn out. Heck look at McNabb, although he was on the decline (which is why I didn't want him), Hasslebach is probably a better example, was playing for one team and was not really lighting it up then went to Seattle and did awesome.

In the old days teams would pay the Vet decent money and the Rookie would get the payday. The only difference is it's flipped. So we give Flynn his payday and we still get RGIII at the top end of the Rookie CAP. Plus Allen has not really done what Cerrato has done in the past so I'd imagine we would get Flynn with a decent contract.
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
Special Teams
 
chrisl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 2 Minutes away from Fedex Field, Maryland
Posts: 363
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think I, along with the rest of us, are missing the key fact about Flynn. We all saw his TD performances against NE and the 6 TD's against the Lions. And after evaluations, the majority of us are saying 'oh thats all his receiver's, his talent, his scheme.' But the thing we seem to be missing is that he is Smart enought to get it to the right guy, the open guy, and he is Proven that he can grasp and get a hold of an offense and make the right decision.

Who knows how good he Could be if he gets a hold of the Shanahan's offense, and gets a great playmaking WR..
Cough, Blackmon, cough, number 6 pick, cough.
__________________
Skins, '04 - Forever.
chrisl13 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #19
Registered User
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
I think I, along with the rest of us, are missing the key fact about Flynn. We all saw his TD performances against NE and the 6 TD's against the Lions. And after evaluations, the majority of us are saying 'oh thats all his receiver's, his talent, his scheme.' But the thing we seem to be missing is that he is Smart enought to get it to the right guy, the open guy, and he is Proven that he can grasp and get a hold of an offense and make the right decision.

Who knows how good he Could be if he gets a hold of the Shanahan's offense, and gets a great playmaking WR..

On top of that he played well in the NFL in a WCO. None of the QB's coming out of the draft can say that. was RGIII in a WC style of offense in college? was Luck in a WC style of offense in college?

I'm all for getting RGIII and hope he works out for us and we have a QB for the future, but what if he doesn't work out? whats the game plan? I'd rather have Flynn as well cause our chances of him working out are better then any Rookie coming out in the draft. He's proven he can make all the throws, can pick the right WR to go to, is safe with the ball, and "CAN" throw for 6 TD's in a game, in the same style system we run. Whats not to like?
SBXVII is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,516
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl13 View Post
Cough, Blackmon, cough, number 6 pick, cough.
It would be surprising if he's still there at #6, assuming the Rams stay at #2 he would be a great pick for them.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,441
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
It would be surprising if he's still there at #6, assuming the Rams stay at #2 he would be a great pick for them.
Yup. Almost no chance of getting Blackmon at #6.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
Pro Bowl
 
skinsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Greensboro, North Carolina
Posts: 6,487
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I understand where your coming from, and agree with you but the problem is no one knows how any QB will turn out. Heck look at McNabb, although he was on the decline (which is why I didn't want him), Hasslebach is probably a better example, was playing for one team and was not really lighting it up then went to Seattle and did awesome.

In the old days teams would pay the Vet decent money and the Rookie would get the payday. The only difference is it's flipped. So we give Flynn his payday and we still get RGIII at the top end of the Rookie CAP. Plus Allen has not really done what Cerrato has done in the past so I'd imagine we would get Flynn with a decent contract.

Like I said earlier. If there is a good way to land both without putting the 'skins in cap trouble for the next few years, then I'm fine with that.
__________________
Not the same Skinsguy that posts on ES.
skinsguy is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Impact Rookie
 
Son Of Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 643
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

The more tape I watch, the more I hope we are out of the Tannehill business.

RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
RG3 or bust!!!!!!!!!!
Son Of Man is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #24
F the Shannys

 
CrazyCanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,873
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Like I said earlier. If there is a good way to land both without putting the 'skins in cap trouble for the next few years, then I'm fine with that.
I am normally an advocate of cap-wise moves, but not when it comes to the Skins' next QB(s). The cap should be a non-factor.
CrazyCanuck is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #25
Playmaker
 
WaldSkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Age: 30
Posts: 2,726
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Yup. Almost no chance of getting Blackmon at #6.
Maybe the Rams will be taking Blackmon at #6
__________________
"I would change that around, Jesus isn't Cutler. I guarantee you Jesus couldnt thread the ball like Jay does."-Monksdown
WaldSkins is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #26
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 11,902
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Do what you have to do to get RGIII or Luck. Just make the trade. No Flynn, no Hoyer (Really? Hoyer?) No Tannehill, No Foles, give the Rams 2012 1st rounder , 2013 1st rounder, 2012 3rd rounder, 2013 4th rounder or replace 2012 3rd rounder with 2012 2nd rounder and draft your QB.

As far as WR goes 3rd round possibilities: Ryan Broyles, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, sign Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe or DeSean Jackson.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
Special Teams
 
chrisl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: 2 Minutes away from Fedex Field, Maryland
Posts: 363
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Do what you have to do to get RGIII or Luck. Just make the trade. No Flynn, no Hoyer (Really? Hoyer?) No Tannehill, No Foles, give the Rams 2012 1st rounder , 2013 1st rounder, 2012 3rd rounder, 2013 4th rounder or replace 2012 3rd rounder with 2012 2nd rounder and draft your QB.

As far as WR goes 3rd round possibilities: Ryan Broyles, Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, sign Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe or DeSean Jackson.
You gotta hope Shannahan and company has that "the time is now" attitude and feel like enough is enough of the shuffling mediocre quarterbacks in and out every season. You have to give up the farm, the fun and games are over.

I read somewhere that we may have to only give up our first, third, and fourth to move up and get RG3 but this has to most certainly be bullshit. I can live with 2 firsts and this year's third though.
__________________
Skins, '04 - Forever.
chrisl13 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
What will Shanny do this offseason?
 
diehardskin2982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,318
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

What if we draft Dre Kirkpatrick with our 6th pick then pick up Brock Osweiler in the 2nd. Also pick up Payton Manning if he becomes available.
__________________
That got ugly fast
diehardskin2982 is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,441
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
Would you trade up to get blackmon if you signed Flynn?
Nope, because Flynn is not a sure-fire franchise QB. We'd still need to get a young gun at #6 or higher.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Mann Up HOF!
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 10,441
Re: 2012 NFL Draft-QB Prospects (Chapter 5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldSkins View Post
Maybe the Rams will be taking Blackmon at #6
True dat. Let me restate then: there's almost no chance that Blackmon falls to us at #6.
__________________
Rooting for the Dallas Cowboys should be recognized as a treatable mental disorder.
Lotus is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28689 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25