Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #181
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,605
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Yeah, you are reading it wrong. I'm using what the experts said (Cousins' strength:pass progressions, a safe assumption I hope) to back up my opinion.

Man, I hope I worded THAT right. What are you actually discussing with me? ... Semantics?
Not discussing anything with you. Just asking where you heard the comparison between Cousins and Grossman, because I thought that's what you had said
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #182
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,556
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I admittedly was stunned at how "normal Eric Mangini is. I hated, hated, hated, when ESPN hired him. But he's arguably been one of the better additions in a while, in my opinion.

Skip's argument was ridiculous
Mangini is surprisingly good on the air.

I can't believe ESPN has this video posted on the main NFL page, as if it's a legit debate. Skip's take is borderline irresponsible. He's nuts.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #183
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 28
Posts: 14,442
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Mangini is surprisingly good on the air.

I can't believe ESPN has this video posted on the main NFL page, as if it's a legit debate. Skip's take is borderline irresponsible. He's nuts.
I should go say hello.
__________________
"Hey baby, wake up from your a sleep." -Zlad

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #184
The Starter
 
30gut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,099
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
... like I said - Grossman's pass progressions are the worst by a veteran in the league. Whatever you want to call it - insight, approach, execution. He just doesn't do it well, whether or not he knows them are irrelevant -- apparently -- by his results on the field.
insight, approach and execution are all different
In the post I responded to you said insight its not irrelevant when that was your intial statement if you want to change the words you chose then you're changing the discussion

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
he immediately brings in some insight that Rex Grossman and John Beck couldn't provide at the qb position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by insight, but Grossman undoubtedly knows the offense better then Cousins.
And maybe Cousins does bring more confidence, I'm hoping he can win the back-up spot outright and become the back-up as a rookie like Tyrod Taylor did last year.

But, I'm refering to actual on the field contributions either through offense, defense or special teams as a rotational or depth player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath View Post
Going by the analysis by the ESPN experts, one insight that he provides that Grossman doesn't is progressions.
__________________
No longer were NFL coaches dealing inflexibly with spread [QBs] in ways that caused stunted development for players like [A. Smith and Vick] now, the idea is to bring what the quarterback can do, and what he should do, together as an organic whole

Last edited by 30gut; 04-30-2012 at 06:59 PM.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #185
Living Legend
 
skinsfaninok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Oklahoma City (Originally from Biloxi, Ms)
Age: 27
Posts: 16,094
Skip is a tool
__________________
THUNDER UP

"if you're good at something, never do it for free"- The Joker

skinsfaninok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #186
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,086
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
Cousins Pick A Mistake For Redskins? - ESPN Video - ESPN


I thought Skip Bayless had reached the pinnacle of stupidity, but I was wrong after viewing this segment. Guy simply needs to be fired. Bringing up race? Really? He's pretty much calling the Redskins fans racists(and Shanahan).

I used to think that the media only gave us shit because we were horrible, so now that we've changed everything, they are still on our nuts. At this point, it won't matter if we start winning Super Bowls because they are going to continue hatting.

It's sad Eric Mangini has to put him in place. /facepalm

I now remember why I don't watch those dumbass shows.

First off, this show is a f*cking joke. For Skip to imply the race thing when DC PROUDLY had the first black superbowl winning QB and imply DC will not accept RG3 and then implicates Shanny with the same logic is simply repulsive. Im personally offended by Skip, its another low. I wish to god ESPN would yank the entire show, its really tiring to watch.

Mangini too classy and reasonable for that show. He, of course, is the only one making sense. Skip and "However" are just jokes
__________________
@RSherman_25 just make sure you stay in Seattle cause without that pass rush you are who we thought you were. 5th rd PK no speed good hands

DeAngelo Hall (@DeAngeloHall23) March 14, 2014
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #187
MVP
 
NC_Skins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 10,412
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Mangini too classy and reasonable for that show. He, of course, is the only one making sense. Skip and "However" are just jokes
The look on Mangini's face that time with Skip talking was priceless. You know he wanted to call him a idiot.
__________________
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #188
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,813
This is a media driven story, I highly doubt this is a big concern amongst the fans. The only people trying to keep this story going work in Bristol and other similar places.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #189
Playmaker
 
NYCskinfan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Queens, NYC
Age: 44
Posts: 3,388
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Skip is a tool
I 2nd that statement.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #190
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,247
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

first, if some people are arguing that cousins was a mistake cause he's too good... wtf? if we want a better football team, we need better players everywhere.

I understand if someone thinks we should have taken a massie or whoever there, but it's hard to argue that cousins is a bad value.

second, i don't think you ever draft anyone just to trade them. that's just a stupid idea and a great way to waste a pick. they got him because he was the BPA and a near term upgrade to grossman (with a little luck)... and how many teams have ended up using 2 QBs in a season? an awful lot of them, and it'd be better if our backup QB didn't stink.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #191
Quietly Dominating the East
 
Hog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 8,989
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

In his retraction perhaps Skip can claim someone......roofied his Ensure.
Good on Mangini.....
__________________
Goodbye Sean..........Vaya Con Dios
thankyou Joe.......
Win! Always win!
By fair means or foul, by soft words and hard deeds...
by treachery, by cunning, by malpractice...
but always win--Edward Teach
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #192
Pro Bowl
 
SirClintonPortis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,052
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
first, if some people are arguing that cousins was a mistake cause he's too good... wtf? if we want a better football team, we need better players everywhere.

I understand if someone thinks we should have taken a massie or whoever there, but it's hard to argue that cousins is a bad value.

second, i don't think you ever draft anyone just to trade them. that's just a stupid idea and a great way to waste a pick. they got him because he was the BPA and a near term upgrade to grossman (with a little luck)... and how many teams have ended up using 2 QBs in a season? an awful lot of them, and it'd be better if our backup QB didn't stink.
Well, in this case, Cousins doing well is a prerequisite to him being traded for big dough, because he sure ain't gonna get traded for big dough without showing some smexy mojo.
__________________
Analysis using datasets (aka stats) is an attempt at reverse-engineering a player's "goodness".

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #193
The Starter
 
vallin21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vienna Va
Posts: 1,029
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Skip Bayless is a joke, and has no clue; to subliminally take a racial shot at the fan base/season ticket holders and Shanahan, is out of bounds. We drafted Cousins A) to replace Rex as a backup in 2013 B) To develop him enough to trade him in 2-3 years for a high pick; and C) As insurance and depth for RG3; God forbid RG3 gets seriously hurt and may never play again, we'll (hopefully) have a viable starter in Cousins... You need capable backups that can come in as starters in case one of the 22 gets injured. This is kind of comparing apples to oranges, but who would've thought this time 5 years ago Sean Taylor would be killed 7 months later? Quality talent and depth after your starter, is vital because you just don't know what can happen in the future. QB and S are different in positions and importance, but we still, 5 years later after Taylor, are looking for a starting FS. IF something happens to RG3, we'll have at least have Cousins.
vallin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #194
Impact Rookie
 
ethat001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 707
Re: Kirk Cousins pick 4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
My sincere apologies if this has been posted all ready but Gruden's camp on Cousins is pretty good probably better then RGIII's.

Gruden's QB Camp: Kirk Cousins (FULL)- HD - YouTube
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't agree at all. Gruden's tape was pretty unflattering as I see it. Gruden showed Cousins was a very poised and eloquent QB, who has potential to be a great leader. BUT, Gruden seemed to highlight all of his mistakes:
(1) fumbling snaps (?probs w wet ball)
(2) trying to force the ball twice into bad reads leading to two interceptions
(3) problems throwing fade routes -> another interception
(4) losing control/spiking the ball -> 15 yard penalty in redzone

Cousins even says, "I'm not RG3".. Watching the Georgia game, Cousins was good - but 90% of his throws were within 10-15 yards, had two picks and one safety from a bubble screen at the 1 yard line. In contrast, I've watched some of RG3's games and they were among the some of the best games I've seen - immaculate deep ball, great accuracy, great confidence, and amazing plays with the game on the line on the national spotlight -- truly an elite athelete *having fun*.

I don't think there's ANY competition for starting QB. But we do have a backup with good potential down the road, which is a great thing. With some development with Shanahan, I do think there's potential to sell high & recoup picks.

Last edited by ethat001; 04-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM   #195
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethat001 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't agree at all. Gruden's tape was pretty unflattering as I see it. Gruden showed Cousins was a very poised and eloquent QB, who has potential to be a great leader. BUT, Gruden seemed to highlight all of his mistakes:
(1) fumbling snaps (?probs w wet ball)
(2) trying to force the ball twice into bad reads leading to two interceptions
(3) problems throwing fade routes -> another interception
(4) losing control/spiking the ball -> 15 yard penalty in redzone

Cousins even says, "I'm not RG3".. Watching the Georgia game, Cousins was good - but 90% of his throws were within 10-15 yards, had two picks and one safety from a bubble screen at the 1 yard line. In contrast, I've watched some of RG3's games and they were among the some of the best games I've seen - immaculate deep ball, great accuracy, great confidence, and amazing plays with the game on the line on the national spotlight -- truly an elite athelete *having fun*.

I don't think there's ANY competition for starting QB. But we do have a backup with good potential down the road, which is a great thing. With some development with Shanahan, I do think there's potential to sell high & recoup picks.
I just meant the episode was better it focused more cousins abilities versus RGIII video which focused more on his personality. No way was I trying to cousins was better then RGIII.
__________________
When life gives you paper jams, turn them into paper footballs!
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32022 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25