Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Draft wrap-up 2013

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Your initial 2013 draft grade for the Skins:
A 24 18.18%
B 92 69.70%
C 15 11.36%
D 1 0.76%
F 0 0%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #226
Special Teams
 
TenandSix:Unacceptable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 324
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

You don't have to have glaring needs to add players to your football team. Look at Seattle signing Winfield, look at Denver adding Welker. I would not be surprised at all if the TE or one of the RB's we took turns into the best player for us from this draft. Just because we don't need big bodies right now doesn't mean we shouldn't draft them. On the contrary. We should draft them every year without fail.

The areas that I would have addressed this offseason were OL, DL, LB and DB. We got some DB's, lost Lorenzo Alexander and added one, yes that's one, linebacker in the draft. Pretty much every team in the league added players to their front sevens and offensive lines and we stood pat. In my eyes, that's a problem.

It's not what I would have done with limited resources. My plan would have been to focus on winning the trenches now that we have a QB. I would have been fine with it if we added more linebackers than we did. Any offseason that sees no depth or talent added to OL, DL and LB is a failure in my book. The draft contributed to that.

Yeah, we added some nice players too. And we needed those DB's badly.

So it's a C, not a D or an F.
TenandSix:Unacceptable is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #227
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 83,384
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
You don't have to have glaring needs to add players to your football team. Look at Seattle signing Winfield, look at Denver adding Welker. I would not be surprised at all if the TE or one of the RB's we took turns into the best player for us from this draft. Just because we don't need big bodies right now doesn't mean we shouldn't draft them. On the contrary. We should draft them every year without fail.

The areas that I would have addressed this offseason were OL, DL, LB and DB. We got some DB's, lost Lorenzo Alexander and added one, yes that's one, linebacker in the draft. Pretty much every team in the league added players to their front sevens and offensive lines and we stood pat. In my eyes, that's a problem.

It's not what I would have done with limited resources. My plan would have been to focus on winning the trenches now that we have a QB. I would have been fine with it if we added more linebackers than we did. Any offseason that sees no depth or talent added to OL, DL and LB is a failure in my book. The draft contributed to that.

Yeah, we added some nice players too. And we needed those DB's badly.

So it's a C, not a D or an F.
The draft isn't the only way to add talent.

We have signed lineman on both sides as well as linebackers. And we drafted a LB.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #228
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
Whos the Amish guy on the left?

That's Amos Frederick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
The 2nd/3rd round Center the Cowboys picked with their first round pick.

Ha...that's him? Good job, Jerry.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #229
Playmaker
 
HailGreen28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,882
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Unless the coaches know somebody is ready to step up, hope we address right tackle in free agency. Hopefully not an old or expensive guy ( fat chance right?).
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #230
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,554
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
You don't have to have glaring needs to add players to your football team. Look at Seattle signing Winfield, look at Denver adding Welker. I would not be surprised at all if the TE or one of the RB's we took turns into the best player for us from this draft. Just because we don't need big bodies right now doesn't mean we shouldn't draft them. On the contrary. We should draft them every year without fail.

The areas that I would have addressed this offseason were OL, DL, LB and DB. We got some DB's, lost Lorenzo Alexander and added one, yes that's one, linebacker in the draft. Pretty much every team in the league added players to their front sevens and offensive lines and we stood pat. In my eyes, that's a problem.

It's not what I would have done with limited resources. My plan would have been to focus on winning the trenches now that we have a QB. I would have been fine with it if we added more linebackers than we did. Any offseason that sees no depth or talent added to OL, DL and LB is a failure in my book. The draft contributed to that.

Yeah, we added some nice players too. And we needed those DB's badly.

So it's a C, not a D or an F.
Ten, I really like your arguement and believe teams have to be built the same way, and I think Shanny agrees with you.

If you look at how he built the team, his plan addressed Oline and DLine first, now he is filling in the rest. Gotta remember how bad we were from a talent standpoint when he took over the team. Dline is the first area he really went after.

I also believe Shanny stuck by his best player available mantra this draft. Rambo, Reed, Jenkins, Thomas picks I think prove that.

Who did you like/or rather have taken?
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #231
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenandSix:Unacceptable View Post
Do the Giants and Ravens have good defensive lines?

Yes.

But they draft the big boys every year.

Hey, I'm not saying we shouldn't have drafted any DB's, but for a draft that's deep along the defensive line we got none. Look at us last year. Front seven was supposed to be the strength of the team and then Orakpo and Carriker go down and it's middling. The defense played way over it's head during the win streak and everyone likes to focus on how bad our secondary was. But hey, we had the third most picks in the league and the 23rd most sacks. I'm a believer that you can do smoke and mirrors in the secondary but you can't fake winning at the point of attack.

Not having a first round pick or money to spend on FA's meant this team was going to have some holes no matter what. With Griffin in the fold the only thing I would have truly cared about shoring up was OL depth and the front seven. Secondary and skill players be damned I want a team that wins up front. Obviously, the ideal is to have both but we went all in on small players and I can't fall in love with the strategy.

Meanwhile you guys are all giving out B's and A's. In my mind there is no such thing as getting an A in the draft with no first round pick and ZERO offensive or defensive linemen. Period.

In 2010-2013 the NYG drafted 11 Linemen(5OL, 6DL), the Skins took 10(6 OL, 4, DL). Source is www.pro-footballreference.com .

I don't know that one team has emphasized it more than the other. Now we have been substantially more uneven in the round drafted, but that is a matter of how we have generally been moving back to regain picks in the early years.
NYG Lineman per round: 2 - 1st, 2 - 2nd, 1 ea, 3, 4, 5, 2 - 6th, 2 - 7th.
Skins Lnemen per round: 2 - 1st, 1 - 3rd, 2 -5th, 2 - 6th, 4 - 7th.
Oh and NE, 7 in those 3 years, 4 of those in the 7th round, 1 - 1st, 3rd, and 6th
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #232
Gamebreaker
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Age: 47
Posts: 12,876
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

PS pro-footballreference has a great search tool that lets you slice and dice drafts of a team. Basically, I put in "all linemen", but you can do individual positions, or schools, or conferences or mix and match. Pretty nice.
__________________
Dirtbag59, sending songs to oblivion 1 writer at a time.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #233
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

For comparison purposes, here's what our draft would have looked like if we had taken purely the highest rated non-QB on my board at every pick, no regard for need:

2 (51) - Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
3 (85) - Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
4 (119) - Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
5 (154) - Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
5 (162) - Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
6 (191) - Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State*
7 (228) - Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State*

*Obviously these guys are only still available b/c we're redrafting the Redskins. Cierre Wood, RB, ND and Tony Jefferson, S, OU were my top undrafted players.

I guess the takeaways is that there was no way to get OL at good value, although there were DL to be had at good value (and we arguably got one of the best values there). And we were going to get DBs anyway. The draft was too deep in the secondary to not get DBs at BPA type value.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #234
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
For comparison purposes, here's what our draft would have looked like if we had taken purely the highest rated non-QB on my board at every pick, no regard for need:

2 (51) - Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
3 (85) - Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
4 (119) - Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
5 (154) - Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State
5 (162) - Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
6 (191) - Brandon Jenkins, OLB, Florida State*
7 (228) - Phillip Thomas, S, Fresno State*

*Obviously these guys are only still available b/c we're redrafting the Redskins. Cierre Wood, RB, ND and Tony Jefferson, S, OU were my top undrafted players.

I guess the takeaways is that there was no way to get OL at good value, although there were DL to be had at good value (and we arguably got one of the best values there). And we were going to get DBs anyway. The draft was too deep in the secondary to not get DBs at BPA type value.
This makes zero sense. There was absolutely no guarantee that Thomas and Jenkins would fall to us a round or many rounds later. We got Thomas in the fourth and Jenkins in the 5th.
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #235
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
This makes zero sense. There was absolutely no guarantee that Thomas and Jenkins would fall to us a round or many rounds later. We got Thomas in the fourth and Jenkins in the 5th.
Which is why I gave you the next two up.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #236
Registered User
 
CultBrennan59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,527
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Which is why I gave you the next two up.
who are the next two up, because you're still not making sense
CultBrennan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #237
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,959
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I fail to see how drafting a bunch of lineman would have helped us any this year. Outside of RT are there any other line positions up for grabs on either side of the ball??
It only makes sense to those who still believe A) football is a game of 3 yards and a cloud of dust and B) the only way to protect a QB is to have a dozen 300 lb. men up front.

The game has evolved, unfortunately quite a few fans haven't evolved with it
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #238
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,279
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

we all know the whole point of zone blocking is that it let's you go cheap on the OL right? you take small faster guys that other teams pass over, giving you higher talent in lower rounds (than average) without needing to use high picks or big money on a ton of OL guys.

the 3-4 let's you shift the expense (picks and money) of your DE's onto your pass rushing OLBs instead (though they're harder to find, DEs make more per sack than OLBs in general, so 3-4 pass rushing OLBs end up at around what a 4-3 DEs would cost due to rarity).

we've got the people for our systems now. our RT sucks, but everyone else is fine. last year we had some bad injuries on the pass rushing front, but we signed merling, tapp, and drafted a guy to help with that rotation (and a bunch of OL guys). we didn't have much in the way of money to sign guys, and we had more pressing issues in the draft. I don't think a 3rd round OT or 7th round OG would have helped us any. the OLB and rambo were picked WAY below value, so you can't swap those out. thomas was below value too, as was the TE we got (which is the only pick that really could have been spent differently. Maybe amerson wasn't the DB of choice, but all the good corners were going to be gone by our pick in round 3, so it was a now or never choice).
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #239
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,279
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

oh yeah, we signed the best UDFA OT as well. it's not like we didn't do anything. we actually got a lot of bodies with what we had to work with.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #240
Gamebreaker
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 12,554
Re: Draft wrap-up 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
It only makes sense to those who still believe A) football is a game of 3 yards and a cloud of dust and B) the only way to protect a QB is to have a dozen 300 lb. men up front.

The game has evolved, unfortunately quite a few fans haven't evolved with it
ehh, yeah the game has evolved for sure. Still gotta control that line of scrimmage.
__________________
Boycott Rolling Stone Magazine
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31788 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25