Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


Redskins Moving up?

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 10:18 PM   #46
Playmaker
 
skinsfanthru&thru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 34
Posts: 3,719
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I agree on your first two points. But if they go for Edwards, it'll actually be 5 traded picks to get him: Two firsts this year (#'s 9 and 25), the first rounder we gave away to Denver next year (likely a top 15), this year's third, and next year's 4th. That's way too many, especially when the knock on Edwards is that he frequently drops catchable passes. A negative like that for a wide receiver should not get you top billing in the class of wideouts in any draft year, I don't care what anybody says.

I disagree on Mike Williams though. Word is, he could be tipping the scale at 245 pounds, has been away from the game too long, and isn't known for even 'good' speed, much less blazing speed. We've got plenty of possession receivers already and if they spend it on a wide receiver at all, the guy to root for is Troy Williamson, who's stock is apparently rising everyday -- and Williamson IS a speedster. Fastest in the draft is what I've heard. But we need a corner first and foremost, and Williamson will be long gone by pick #25. Wideouts in that part of the draft could include Mark Clayton of Oklahoma, or Roddy White of UAB.
Williamson is one of the fastest as is another reciever who's stock has risen dramatically since the end of the season and that would be Jerome Mathis(i think that's his name) of Hampton. I think a decent to pretty good wr can be found in the 2-4 round area and if the team wastes 5 picks to get Edwards ,that would further show the immediate need for an intelligent GM. I love Gibbs but if that proposed trade goes down, I know I will lose some faith and start doubting his return to the team. With some pretty serious holes on the team, I just can't fathom why the team would even consider the giving away of every pick before the 4th round this year and our 1st and 4th next year for a guy who's described as a faster 50-50. please let this all be just hype and hoopla cuz that would put a serious dent even for me in the hopes of the team for this upcoming year.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #47
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: Redskins Moving up?

I have mixed feelings about drafting Campbell. I don't think QB is a need now. I love the idea of Rogers at 9. At 25, is Vincent Jackson a possibility there or is that too high?

But anyway, I like the idea of having our bases covered should we lose Ramsey after this upcoming season, or if Ramsey doesn't take his game to the next level (which I really believe he will). And of course, even if there were some good QBs in the 2006 draft we just gave up our 1st round pick in 2006 for the rights to possibly draft Campbell now.

As for Campbell's attachment to the West Coast offense let's not forget that one of the best teachers of that offense is the Skins new QB coach, Bill Musgrave
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:32 AM   #48
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I have mixed feelings about drafting Campbell. I don't think QB is a need now. I love the idea of Rogers at 9. At 25, is Vincent Jackson a possibility there or is that too high?

But anyway, I like the idea of having our bases covered should we lose Ramsey after this upcoming season, or if Ramsey doesn't take his game to the next level (which I really believe he will). And of course, even if there were some good QBs in the 2006 draft we just gave up our 1st round pick in 2006 for the rights to possibly draft Campbell now.

As for Campbell's attachment to the West Coast offense let's not forget that one of the best teachers of that offense is the Skins new QB coach, Bill Musgrave
I just can't imagine having to wait for Campbell or any other rookie QB have to learn and adjust to what many consider to be among the most complicated offenses in the league. If this whole experiment with Ramsey doesn't work out -- and I firmly believe this year will be his last shot -- then you can forget winning anything in the next few years, unless there's another Brad Johnson of the '99 season to carry us into the playoffs. Gibbs wants to win now, and selecting a QB of the future only sets us back in many other areas that need attention.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #49
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: Redskins Moving up?

I am officially calling for the Jones-Jones pick on Saturday. Pac-Man and Matt would be a good draft for us.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #50
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 17,524
Re: Redskins Moving up?

I would love to see Jones x 2.
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #51
Playmaker
 
celts32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hackettstown NJ
Age: 43
Posts: 2,656
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
I agree on your first two points. But if they go for Edwards, it'll actually be 5 traded picks to get him: Two firsts this year (#'s 9 and 25), the first rounder we gave away to Denver next year (likely a top 15), this year's third, and next year's 4th. That's way too many, especially when the knock on Edwards is that he frequently drops catchable passes. A negative like that for a wide receiver should not get you top billing in the class of wideouts in any draft year, I don't care what anybody says.

I disagree on Mike Williams though. Word is, he could be tipping the scale at 245 pounds, has been away from the game too long, and isn't known for even 'good' speed, much less blazing speed. We've got plenty of possession receivers already and if they spend it on a wide receiver at all, the guy to root for is Troy Williamson, who's stock is apparently rising everyday -- and Williamson IS a speedster. Fastest in the draft is what I've heard. But we need a corner first and foremost, and Williamson will be long gone by pick #25. Wideouts in that part of the draft could include Mark Clayton of Oklahoma, or Roddy White of UAB.
It doesn't really matter, but it would not be 5 picks traded for him. You are counting the 25th this year and next years 1st. You counted the same pick twice. We traded next years 1 to get this years 25, so it's the same pick. If the skins trade #9 & 25 for edwards it would be 4 picks for 1.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:49 PM   #52
The Starter
 
PSUSkinsFan21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Age: 37
Posts: 1,340
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Here's one for us all to debate: Last night's draft special on ESPN got me scared to death, because they treated us drafting Campbell as a foregone conclusion. It's no secret I don't like the guy's ability (or lack thereof), at least with regard to the Skins' offense. So, which of the two potential nightmares would you rather have?
1. Stay at 25 and draft Campbell; or
2. Package 9 and 25 to move up for whoever they want (e.g. Edwards/Williams or #1CB).

Right now, I'm leaning toward #2, and here's why. I regard picking Campbell as essentially getting nothing. Rather than potentially having to settle for our 2nd or 3rd choice at CB/WR and getting Campbell, I'd rather have our #1 choice at CB/WR and have nothing else. Of course I'd rather them just stay at 9 and 25 and go CB/WR or WR/CB, but if they are going to do one of the above stupid moves, I think the second is the lesser of the two evils.

Any thoughts/opinions?
__________________
"Hail to the Redskins!" and "Fight on State!"
PSUSkinsFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #53
The Starter
 
Bozzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ina, house
Age: 34
Posts: 1,034
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Why in the hell are we thinking about drafting a quarterback? What happened to Patrick Ramsey?
Bozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #54
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,854
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSkinsFan21
Here's one for us all to debate: Last night's draft special on ESPN got me scared to death, because they treated us drafting Campbell as a foregone conclusion. It's no secret I don't like the guy's ability (or lack thereof), at least with regard to the Skins' offense. So, which of the two potential nightmares would you rather have?
1. Stay at 25 and draft Campbell; or
2. Package 9 and 25 to move up for whoever they want (e.g. Edwards/Williams or #1CB).

Any thoughts/opinions?
that's an excellent question... i'd have to agree with you on going with the second option. Losing all those picks to get some guy at 25 is a real shot in the dark. at least packaging the picks for our top target is a better risk... it's like sitting at the poker table and going "all in"- if we're going to do something unconventional (like trading a potentially higher first round, a third, and a fourth) for one pick, i'd rather go all the way with it. at least if it's a bust, it's one that had a better shot at making it than some guy at 25.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #55
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,854
Re: Redskins Moving up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offiss
If we draft Campbell with the #25 it will be like going all in with 2-7 unsuited!
Amen!
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.25814 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25