Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


(Merged) Jason Campbell

NFL Draft Central


View Poll Results: Do you approve of the Jason Campbell pick?
Yes 11 32.35%
No 23 67.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #31
Special Teams
 
SantanaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 224
Re: Jason Campbell

After having a little while to let this last pick settle in my mind I think I have come up with something that settles my mind (a little).

We COULD be sitting on this years "Chargers", a long time QB project being pushed by a 1st rounder QB during his contract year - hopefully Ramsey plays the "Brees" part of this. The Chargers weren't exacty loaded at WR last year, but had a good running game (see Portis) and a very good TE (see Cooley), plus our D is better than San Diegos.
A turnaround like the Chargers would be most welcome.

I've spoken to an Auburn fan and he says that Carlos Rogers is a good CB, quite possibly the best in this years draft, he does however take risks (big play potential, suits Williams schemes), hopefully we will have Taylors head sorted out to help out on that side during the year.
SantanaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #32
The Starter
 
monk81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,029
Re: Jason Campbell

The problem is even though this draft is deep we don't have very many picks.......
__________________
"It's absolutely criminal, in my opinion, that Monk has yet to be enshrined (in the Pro-Football Hall of Fame)" Dan Arkush PFW
monk81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #33
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Do you approve of the Jason Campbell pick?

Vote and discuss
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:14 PM   #34
Impact Rookie
 
Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Age: 37
Posts: 963
Re: Do you approve of the Jason Campbell pick?

don't know. If they suck next year, Denver could get a high pick. Risky move
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:15 PM   #35
Special Teams
 
Kevikazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Age: 44
Posts: 186
Re: Jason Campbell

Here's what ESPN said, "Campbell consistently held onto the ball too long, threw too many passes up for grabs when he ...". Did we really needed to give up our 3rd and next year's 1st (probably top 10 pick AGAIN) to get this guy?
Kevikazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:16 PM   #36
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Jason Campbell

No way...an Auburn fan thinks an Auburn QB is the best in the draft...lol. In all seriousness, though, Jaws had him second. However, we didn't a QB.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #37
Impact Rookie
 
SkinsRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Crofton, MD
Age: 44
Posts: 907
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevikazi
Here's what ESPN said, "Campbell consistently held onto the ball too long, threw too many passes up for grabs when he ...". Did we really needed to give up our 3rd and next year's 1st (probably top 10 pick AGAIN) to get this guy?
No concerning the picks, but that's why he won't start for at least a couple years...so they can mold him into a better QB, which was never done with Ramsey like it should have been.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:18 PM   #38
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevikazi
Here's what ESPN said, "Campbell consistently held onto the ball too long, threw too many passes up for grabs when he ...". Did we really needed to give up our 3rd and next year's 1st (probably top 10 pick AGAIN) to get this guy?
That's funny, because if I were gonna knock Ramsey, that would be exactly what I would say.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:24 PM   #39
Special Teams
 
SantanaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 224
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
No way...an Auburn fan thinks an Auburn QB is the best in the draft...lol. In all seriousness, though, Jaws had him second. However, we didn't a QB.
I never once mentioned the Auburn fan saying ANYTHING about Jason Campbell, in fact I mentioned him only saying about Carlos Rogers.
SantanaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #40
Playmaker
 
Paintrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Age: 43
Posts: 4,916
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
That's funny, because if I were gonna knock Ramsey, that would be exactly what I would say.
You beat me to it with that.. I disagree with both draft picks so let me say that up front.. Here's my assumption of what the FO was thinking.. They didn't draft Ramsey (at least Gibbs didn't, that was a Vinny/Danny thing) so there's no true allegiance there. Let's be 100% frank about Ramsey so far, he has not been a leader, consistent or productive. Plus in today's NFL, other than Peyton Manning, a QB has to be mobile, Ramsey is a statue. He is below .500, has more INT than TD and going into his 4th year has not shown that he has the makings of an elite QB. In Campbell, there is a guy who is the son of a football coach (understanding of the game may pick things up quickly), a 4 year starter in the SEC (31 wins with 4 different offensive systems and a 45-24 TD/INT ratio), mobile QB with an arm who's strength is comparable to Ramsey's.. I don't like the pick, but I understand..

What I dislike more is the Rogers pick.. Yes we needed a corner, but let's be honest again, Smoot is a GOOD corner, by no means was he great or elite.. Replacing him was neccessary but not imperative at that point in the draft. With the problems offensively, especially in the passing game we had in '04, with Mike Williams on the board we made a HUGE error in my opinion by not taking him. I think and hope Rogers will be decent, but I think the draft last year, this year and even next year will leave a long resounding negative effect on the Skins..
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:35 PM   #41
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantanaMan
I never once mentioned the Auburn fan saying ANYTHING about Jason Campbell, in fact I mentioned him only saying about Carlos Rogers.
My bad, man. I didn't pay enough attention to the post. Sorry for the confusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #42
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: Jason Campbell

Two points about this pick

#1
I don't get it. We traded up to take a QB who might take 2-3 years before he's ready?? Couldn't we have gotten a much better value with this pick? Someone who could contribute right away??

#2
I don't like it. We might as well just dump Ramsey now, because ever since Gibbs has been here he's been giving strong signals to PR that he's not his man. First he brings in a vet, and now uses a high pick on a QB.

I liked the Rogers pick at #9, but this pick has me scratching my head.

Campbell sounds like a great prospect, but we really reached here and didn't fill much of a need.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:44 PM   #43
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 81,278
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
has more INT than TD and going into his 4th year
Ramsey has 33 career TD's vs. 28 INT's
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #44
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain
Let's be 100% frank about Ramsey so far, he has not been a leader, consistent or productive. Plus in today's NFL, other than Peyton Manning, a QB has to be mobile, Ramsey is a statue. He is below .500, has more INT than TD and going into his 4th year has not shown that he has the makings of an elite QB.
I couldn't disagree with your evaluation of Ramsey more. I think he does hold it too long and occasionally throws it up, but I will be frank, I think he can be a Pro Bowler sooner rather than later. As for him having more picks than TD's that's wrong. Career: 33 TD, 28 INT. Last year was the only season he had more picks than TD's and that was only 10 to 11. I believe he showed he was a leader in his first season when Spurrier put him in games late and he lead them back. I remember a Giants game that sold me on him when he almost lead them back to a win if not for a D. McCants fumble. He's not mobile, though, you're right. However, his completion percentage for his career is: 55.6%, has improved every year and last year was 62.1%.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #45
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Jason Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Two points about this pick

#1
I don't get it. We traded up to take a QB who might take 2-3 years before he's ready?? Couldn't we have gotten a much better value with this pick? Someone who could contribute right away??

#2
I don't like it. We might as well just dump Ramsey now, because ever since Gibbs has been here he's been giving strong signals to PR that he's not his man. First he brings in a vet, and now uses a high pick on a QB.

I liked the Rogers pick at #9, but this pick has me scratching my head.

Campbell sounds like a great prospect, but we really reached here and didn't fill much of a need.
In addition, to me, it seems like we're well on our way to competing for the #1 pick next season, which we won't have, but that could have put us in position for Lienart. We would have had a better line on Ramsey and then they would have actually known if they needed a Qb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32811 seconds with 10 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25