Warpath  

Home | Forums | Shop | Donate




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room > NFL Draft Central


With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

NFL Draft Central


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 12:20 AM   #46
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 4,906
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
To me that kind of thinking is really short sighted. In two years, our WR corps will be In need of a complete rework. If Cooper is there, he could be a WR1 for years to come.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
short sighted as in garcon and jackson won't turn 30 until the 2017 season...

um, ok i kept my sights 3+ years into the future instead of 2...
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #47
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 4,906
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

and at the same time i agree 100% about your cooper comment.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #48
Contains football related knowledge
 
JoeRedskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Second Star On The Right
Age: 54
Posts: 10,145
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

In 2016 Garcon and D. Jax cost ~20M in cap charges. Having a guy who can step in as a WR1 (like Cooper) for 500k makes gives us a lot of flexibility.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
__________________
Strap it up, hold onto the ball, and letís go.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #49
Playmaker
 
los panda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: los angeles, ca
Posts: 4,906
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
In 2016 Garcon and D. Jax cost ~20M in cap charges. Having a guy who can step in as a WR1 (like Cooper) for 500k makes gives us a lot of flexibility.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
i thought you meant from an age stand point, my bad j-red, you're right.

they can't get any younger, but they can restructure/renegotiate.
__________________
7 9 21 28 33 42 43 44 49 65 70 81
los panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #50
MVP
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 10,091
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Amari Cooper, Kevin White may give Washington Redskins trade options - NFL Nation - ESPN
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #51
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
To me that kind of thinking is really short sighted. In two years, our WR corps will be In need of a complete rework. If Cooper is there, he could be a WR1 for years to come.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
If Scot has Cooper as his highest-rated player without input from Bruce, your argument is a very good one. BPA thinking for the long-term.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #52
Special Teams
 
mrreddman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: alexandria va
Posts: 143
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

I want and hope they pick Fowler or Beasly. An ideal situation would be to trade back a spot with the Jets and add an extra 3rd rounder and still get Fowler or Beasly. A few other trade back scenarios i would like to see us if Clevsland wanted to jump to #5 and gives up their 2 first rounders. Or if SD trades us Rivers and their 1st and something else for the 5th pick. Other than that i hope they stay in the top 10.
mrreddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #53
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,227
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

I don't want no stinkin' WR at #5. I'd rather trade down than take a WR.
__________________
You Like That!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #54
The Starter
 
Irrefutable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,081
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I don't want no stinkin' WR at #5. I'd rather trade down than take a WR.

I agree, take Stephon Diggs in the 3rd/4th round- use the high picks on LM /OLB
Irrefutable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #55
Living Legend
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 40
Posts: 19,325
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

I think best case scenario is Leonard Williams falls to us at 5. damn beast

Versatile USC defensive lineman Leonard Williams persevered to become top draft prospect
__________________
I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. Ė Stephen Covey
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:29 PM   #56
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 18,501
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Top WRs last season and where they were drafted:

1. Antonio Brown (6th rd)
2. Demaryius Thomas (1st rd, 22nd pick)
3. Julio Jones (1st rd, 6th pick)
4. Jordy Nelson (2nd rd)
5. Emmanuel Sanders (3rd rd)
6. TY Hilton (3rd rd)
7. Golden Tate (2nd rd)
8. Dez Bryant (1st rd, 24th pick)
9. Jeremy Maclin (1st rd, 19th pick)
10. Odell Beckham Jr. (1st rd, 12 pick)

Given Scot McC's reputation of being an excellent talent evaluator, I think he can find a starting caliber WRs in the later rounds.

I don't think taking a WR at #5 is terrible; however, referring to a question JoeRedskins posted not too long ago, I'd rather have a safe pick in an area of need. I feel that taking a WR that high, you are taking them with the idea that they'd become a dominant playmaker. I don't think our team's fortunes can be turned around with one playmaker.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #57
Captain Kirk
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 38
Posts: 10,380
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Top WRs last season and where they were drafted:

1. Antonio Brown (6th rd)
2. Demaryius Thomas (1st rd, 22nd pick)
3. Julio Jones (1st rd, 6th pick)
4. Jordy Nelson (2nd rd)
5. Emmanuel Sanders (3rd rd)
6. TY Hilton (3rd rd)
7. Golden Tate (2nd rd)
8. Dez Bryant (1st rd, 24th pick)
9. Jeremy Maclin (1st rd, 19th pick)
10. Odell Beckham Jr. (1st rd, 12 pick)

Given Scot McC's reputation of being an excellent talent evaluator, I think he can find a starting caliber WRs in the later rounds.

I don't think taking a WR at #5 is terrible; however, referring to a question JoeRedskins posted not too long ago, I'd rather have a safe pick in an area of need. I feel that taking a WR that high, you are taking them with the idea that they'd become a dominant playmaker. I don't think our team's fortunes can be turned around with one playmaker.
McCloughan is known as being an excellent talent evaluator partly because of the results he gets by simply taking the best player available. If he believes Cooper or White are BPA when we pick at 5, he'll pounce on it.

He doesn't sit there and say oh I can find a WR later in the draft. He picks the best player, regardless of need.

And thus he hits on late rounders. If a WR isn't BPA when we pick in the late rounds, he won't take one.

It has to be blind to position. Best football player, period. That's all that matters.

You fill needs in free agency. In the draft you stock your core with the best possible guys you can find.
__________________
God made certain people to play football. He was one of them.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #58
Fire Bruce NOW
 
Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hattiesburg, MS
Posts: 11,434
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
I don't want no stinkin' WR at #5. I'd rather trade down than take a WR.
I agree. If it were me, I'd trade down or, lacking a good trade partner, take Fowler. Our hotshot young receiver would have no one to throw to him, as things stand now.

But the WR argument is not as bad as some make it to be. It makes football sense in the salary cap era.
__________________
Bruce Allen when in charge alone: 4-12 (.250)
Bruce Allen's overall Redskins record : 28-52 (.350)
Vinny Cerrato's record when in charge alone: 52-65 (.444)
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #59
MVP
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,997
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
I agree, take Stephon Diggs in the 3rd/4th round- use the high picks on LM /OLB
Diggs was a disappointment at Maryland. Never lived up to the hype. Has the talent though.

I'd prefer to take Tyler Lockett. Big time production at wr and punt returner. I watched a few K. State games (Baylor, UCLA and TCU) cause I was betting. Could not believe how ridiculous this kid was. Reminds me of a younger Deshawn Jackson except maybe better. He'll go in the mid rounds and it will be a steal.

This is why taking wr's high IMO is a waste. Always can find good value in the later rounds.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #60
Playmaker
 
KI Skins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD Eastern Shore
Posts: 4,227
Re: With the 5th pick in the draft the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
McCloughan is known as being an excellent talent evaluator partly because of the results he gets by simply taking the best player available. If he believes Cooper or White are BPA when we pick at 5, he'll pounce on it.

He doesn't sit there and say oh I can find a WR later in the draft. He picks the best player, regardless of need.

And thus he hits on late rounders. If a WR isn't BPA when we pick in the late rounds, he won't take one.

It has to be blind to position. Best football player, period. That's all that matters.

You fill needs in free agency. In the draft you stock your core with the best possible guys you can find.
SM himself said that need factors into his draft day decisions. For the true BPA on his board to be selected, that player would either play a position of need or be considered by SM to be a much better player than the next player on his list who does play a position of need.

In this draft, if SM considers an OLB or OL to be close in ability to a WR, I don't think SM would take the WR. If SM believes that a WR is a much better player than an OLB or OL, then I think he would take the WR.
__________________
You Like That!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.07401 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25