Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #61
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 36
Posts: 16,270
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
I liked now in the last election MTV and some other groups did all this work to get out the young vote. They talked about how the younger generation was going to show up in full force and become a factor in the elections. After the election there was a drop in the younger generations voting. I think its funny because all those MTV people thought they where doing something but its sad that more people do not get out and vote.
I remember that. That was hilarious.

Oh, to get back on topic...sure, I could say FEMA sucks. Any bureaucratic agency does...it doesn't make them evil though. It's just a fact of life.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #62
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
I liked now in the last election MTV and some other groups did all this work to get out the young vote. They talked about how the younger generation was going to show up in full force and become a factor in the elections. After the election there was a drop in the younger generations voting. I think its funny because all those MTV people thought they where doing something but its sad that more people do not get out and vote.
I'm young and I voted. Probably not how MTV wanted me to, though.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #63
The Starter
 
mheisig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Southeast
Age: 31
Posts: 2,119
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
I liked now in the last election MTV and some other groups did all this work to get out the young vote. They talked about how the younger generation was going to show up in full force and become a factor in the elections. After the election there was a drop in the younger generations voting. I think its funny because all those MTV people thought they where doing something but its sad that more people do not get out and vote.
Well "P Diddy" said to "Vote or Die," which MUST mean that's it's very important for me as a young person to vo...oh look! Shiny things on MySpace!
__________________
Your post count, reputation score, popularity ranking, VIP tag or funny signature has no bearing on how I value you as an individual.
mheisig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #64
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,064
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Look I voted for Bush. I voted for Bush at the time because I believed in him. I voted for Bush because I agree with the basic ideals of conservatism (which apparently aren't obeserved by our elected conservatives. that's a whole other argument). I now have little appreciation for him and the job he has done on many things but I also think he gets a totally raw deal on a lot of things. The political temperature in this country is now one of attack and destroy. If a democrat had been in power for the last 2 terms he would have been attacked on whatever issues came about in the same way Bush has been. It is just terrible the way our political process has been hijacked by spcieal issuers who know how advance their agendas regardless of tactic and truth. The truth is that Bush has done a poor job in some ways and a great job in some ways. Just like every president he has success and failures. I have no problem pointing out his failures. I could make a list. But I also try to be even handed and objective about analyzing and realize that this situation in NO isn't "HIS" fault. It is the collective fault of a very large number of people including him.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 PM   #65
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

i agree with that statement.although the large part of blame will always lie with the commander and chief. its just like if the redskins really stink it up, coach gibbs bares the brunt of why? is it justified? sometimes yes, sometimes no. we will agree to disagree on pres bush and his croonies are doing a good job.
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #66
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,506
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
I was kidding. I agree with you. My sarcasm doesn't carry well over the net usually. I should know better.

On a different note in the same vein. Is it me or does someone basically throwing bombs about a subject totally rule the political landscape right now? I say this because That Guy, who isn't here right now but I hope he comes back and participates ome more, basically is obviously really anti-Bush. Which most of us can understand. Things are screwded up everywhere and blame lays with him on some. But when people make statements followed by logical and reasonable rebuttals and the original person making the statements justs yells and screams about it don't they invalidate themselves? That Guy come back and continue this!
hate to tell you i tend to vote republican :P and I only blamed bush for appointing idiots, yet you somehow misconstrue everything into strawmen and infer lots of things that aren't said or implied. there's no real reason to continue cause you're doing nothing but making up phantoms to argue against.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:22 PM   #67
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,506
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG
Where did I rant on anything? YOU made a statement in reference to organizing a better evacuation. It implied that FEMA and or the fed should have done a better job in this regard. cpayne correctly pointed out that FEMA and the federal government isn't responsible for that. In fact they have no jurisdiction to do it at all in any way. Actually it would be illegal. That shows that on that subject you were uninformed. I made no comments about race or anything like that. YOU are the one cursing. YOU are the one over-reacting.
wrong, it implied that a better job should have been done (period). I blamed the locals for being inept, but FEMA didn't help either. I think bush could have also done more like spend 10 minutes on national TV saying "this is going to be bad" or trying harder to convince the locals that an evacuation was really needed. I think bush should have had FEMA run by someone with a proper background. Maybe FEMA sucks, but if someone who actually does logistics an civil engineering for a living was in charge, at least a proper game plan could be made.

I also mentioned that if the locals are willing to do nothing, someone should step in, not based on legal doctrine but on common sense (like working harder to convince the locals if nothing else).

I can't see were all your arguements come from cause you're bashing me while not rebutting anything i've actually mentioned and instead ignoring it. Your responses make lots of rash and overreaching assumptions that just aren't true. sorry.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #68
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,119
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Anyone else here imagining a meeting between Buster and Shane (old schoolers remember Shane)?

What I find a bit amusing is how a lot of people think it's something new, appointing people you're familiar with to high positions around you. I mean there's that story about how Lincoln appointed his "enemies" to his cabinet (Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer), but politics is a lot about connections and favors. Been that way long before W came along, and will be long after. You'd like to think that the best people are always chosen, but that's not necessarily always the case-and it's not always clear whose fault it is.

You know who doesn't appoint friends? TheWarpath.net baby, that's who. None of us mods really know each other all that well. A lot of us have never spoken to each other. Yet we run a tight ship...oiled by the blood of its members.

There's no cronyism here, no favoritism. We just get shit done....this message sponsored by the Warpath Mods '08 exploratory committee and the Ad Council
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:34 PM   #69
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,506
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
Anyone else here imagining a meeting between Buster and Shane (old schoolers remember Shane)?

What I find a bit amusing is how a lot of people think it's something new, appointing people you're familiar with to high positions around you. I mean there's that story about how Lincoln appointed his "enemies" to his cabinet (Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer), but politics is a lot about connections and favors. Been that way long before W came along, and will be long after. You'd like to think that the best people are always chosen, but that's not necessarily always the case-and it's not always clear whose fault it is.

You know who doesn't appoint friends? TheWarpath.net baby, that's who. None of us mods really know each other all that well. A lot of us have never spoken to each other. Yet we run a tight ship...oiled by the blood of its members.

There's no cronyism here, no favoritism. We just get shit done....this message sponsored by the Warpath Mods '08 exploratory committee and the Ad Council
right, but appoint your engineering friends to head things like FEMA and your idiot friends to jobs like head ambassador to uganda.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 PM   #70
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 45,119
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
right, but appoint your engineering friends to head things like FEMA and your idiot friends to jobs like head ambassador to uganda.
I'm a quarter Ugandan and your lack of respect is downright insulting...ok I'm really not a quarter Ugandan

Anyway, I thought that Bush had hired someone else to be Director of FEMA, I forget who, and that man hired his best friend Mike Brown to be his Deputy. And eventually he just moved to director. Then Bush made it official.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #71
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,064
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

That Guy.

In this thread about FEMA you have said:

Quote:
I'd say the drastic mismanagement that got a lot of people killed unnecessarily was pretty extreme too, since, you know, their entire job is to prevent that.
This was a direct response to a statement about FEMA. FEMA had nothing to do with the evacuation or the deaths of "millions" of people. They just didn't as several others point out without rebuttal.

Quote:
or that they should have a civil engineer or logistics guy in charge of FEMA instead of some clueless crony.
This goes along the path of blaming FEMA for the actual deaths associated with the Hurricane. Unless of course you meant an engineer would have helped somehow manage the money doling out. I think you weren't meaning that though.


Quote:
FEMA needed to step in an over rule the idiot mayor who also had a huge hand in making a bad situation much worse
As stated by others and myself they have no legal authority to do this. This again shows that you thought FEMA should have tried to get people out when in fact they simply have no legal way to do so.

Quote:
someone qualified could have done better... like with 2 weeks of info from the local experts (levy workers and meteorologists) at least try to organize a real evacuation.
In the context of the converstaion I am pretty sure you were again referring to FEMA.

then i said:
Quote:
As cpayne said. If you have an opinion know ALL the facts and facets as best you can. Uninformed debate is worthless. The world runs on opinions so it is our job to have the right info to form them correctly. To me your statement shows a general lack of respect for Bush(understood given many OTHER issues) and a lack of knowledge on the subject. Blaming Bush or FEMA for the evacuation situation is like blaming Bush for the pothole in front of your house.
Which was meant to say that your statements blaming things on FEMA and/or Bush for the lack of a solid evacuation showed a lack of understanding towards what the responsibilties of the various parties being discussed were. It also was meant to say that lack of knowledge on this one issue works subversively towards your point since it really undermines it greatly. Yes i did not specifically point out that I felt you had a lack of knowledge on this one point but I think when you have one huge gap of understanding on an issue it works to invalidate your entire opinion. How this was uncivil is completely beyond me. Sorry for thinking that you making statements that have no solid basis shows a lack of knowledge. It wasn't meant to infer you have no "f***ing clue" what you are talking about. In fact I am pretty sure I never said that.

Your response to this statement was out of line. It was immature and IT was the uncivil part of this thread. For someone with a long posting history here and a very good standing you should be able to see where you have gone down the wrong path in this thread.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #72
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,525
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

in other words fema is a government agency with absolutely no power? come on, if pres bush and fema wanted new orleans evacuated, it would have happened. im surprised that wewhite hasnt chimed in yet because i think if the same thing was going to occur in w's hometown, it probably would have been handled alittle differently
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #73
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25
in other words fema is a government agency with absolutely no power? come on, if pres bush and fema wanted new orleans evacuated, it would have happened. im surprised that wewhite hasnt chimed in yet because i think if the same thing was going to occur in w's hometown, it probably would have been handled alittle differently
If the federal governement had evacuated New Orleans (against the wishes of both the mayor and the governor) and nothing catostrophic happened I can probably guarantee you that right we would be in the middle of the biggest Supreme Court battle this country has ever seen.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 PM   #74
MVP
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 36
Posts: 10,064
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25
in other words fema is a government agency with absolutely no power? come on, if pres bush and fema wanted new orleans evacuated, it would have happened. im surprised that wewhite hasnt chimed in yet because i think if the same thing was going to occur in w's hometown, it probably would have been handled alittle differently
We have laws in this country that democrats love to scream and yell about when Bush does something that amounts to the same thing. When he and the administration start collecting phone call information (to protect us they say) it isn't ok but when NO and the local/state government won't evacuate a below sea-level city in the face of a catastrophic hurricane he is then uppose to break the law then? Sure Bush could have pulled some federal authority out of his ass and made it happened and then what? From now on it is the job of federal government to protect us from oursleves and our unwillingness to take care of ourselves? People died because they local governemt and state government didn't do THEIR JOB. Not because Bush didn't illegally do their job for them.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #75
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,506
Re: Simply put, FEMA sucks!!

FRPLG:

you went point for point, and except for one issue, every single one contains you making (wrong) assumptions about what i actually said. thus when you're trying to call me out on things i didn't say but you think i did, it's a bit hard to take.

and if you read about the charter they actually do cover civil defense and disaster preparedness, which you've been vehement in denoucing:


wikipedia:
Quote:
September 11th, 2001, President Bush created the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to better coordinate among the different federal agencies that deal with law enforcement, disaster preparedness and recovery, border protection and civil defense. FEMA was absorbed into DHS as of 2003. As a result, FEMA became part of the Emergency Preparedness and Response Directorate of DHS, and employs more than 2,600 full time employees. In September 2003, Michael D. Brown, FEMA's director and DHS Undersecretary, warned that the shift would make a mockery of FEMA's new motto, "A Nation Prepared,"...
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34696 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25