Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #1
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Gwynn, Ripken will fall short of perfect - Yahoo! News

Seriously, how can you possibly think that Tony Gwynn and Cal, Jr. were on the juice? Has this guy Paul Ladewski actually seen a picture of either of these guys? What a joker.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-09-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,515
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

i dont have a witty reply to this
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Yeah, but there has never been a unanimous pick in history. Every year someone votes no just to preserve that tradition. It's stupid, but not surprising.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

He's a self important jackass who thinks he knows what's best. I think voters like him should lose their voting privileges.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 PM   #5
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 41
Posts: 80,655
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

He's not voting for anyone from the steroid era.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

This disturbs me:
Quote:
Ty Cobb was left off four ballots, Nolan Ryan wasn't on six, Hank Aaron on nine, Babe Ruth on 11 and Willie Mays on 23. Joe DiMaggio needed to appear on the ballot three times to get in, receiving 44 percent and 69 percent in his first two tries.
Wow...How can it take DiMaggio 3 times, or Aaron 9? Babe Ruth was THE BEST player of his era, hands down, and he was on 11? Mays on 23? Come on! He was arguably the best baseball player of all time!

That being said, I honestly feel that guy, Ledewski, should be stripped of his right to vote. Ripken is a no brainer for the hall. No question. You don't put in a no vote. Vote for Gossage or Rice...both of whom are extremely derserving, and neither played in the steroid era.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 AM   #7
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

He's making a blanket statement about the era of baseball, not the fact that both Ripken and Gwynn are Hall worthy. He's also bucking the trend to get some publicity and get his name read. While I don't agree with his ethic, he has earned the right to vote, and shouldn't be stripped of that.

jsarno - not sure I follow your logic. The above, when referring to Cobb, Ryan, Aaron, Ruth and Mays, refer to the number of people who didn't vote for each player. All of those guys made it in on their first ballot. Not sure why DiMaggio took 3 years to get in...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Playmaker
 
onlydarksets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: all up in your business
Posts: 2,693
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
He's not voting for anyone from the steroid era.
I read the article and understand that, but it's twisted logic. Ripken was a HoF'er by 1993, which is when this guy claims is the start of the "steroid era". Plus, Ripken is not in the hall for his bat, he's there for his glove and for his ironman consistency (which is damn near impossible on the roids because it tends to makes you more injury prone). It's just ludicrous to lump Ripken in with players like Mcgwire, who get Hall-talk because of what they did after 1993.
__________________
Stop reading my signature.
onlydarksets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Just for the record: they didn't vote "no", they just didn't vote. They knew they would get in without a hitch. They just didn't want it to be unanimous because they don't think these guys are better than the others who came before them and didn't get unanimous elections. It Makes sense. Neither Ripken or Gwynn are/were better than Ruth, Cobbs, Mays, et. al.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
This disturbs me:


Wow...How can it take DiMaggio 3 times, or Aaron 9? Babe Ruth was THE BEST player of his era, hands down, and he was on 11? Mays on 23? Come on! He was arguably the best baseball player of all time!

That being said, I honestly feel that guy, Ledewski, should be stripped of his right to vote. Ripken is a no brainer for the hall. No question. You don't put in a no vote. Vote for Gossage or Rice...both of whom are extremely derserving, and neither played in the steroid era.
No, the only one that it took more than one try was DiMaggio, which is ****in ridiculous. He was an amazing hitter.

What they're saying about the others, though, is that they didn't get voted for by 9, 11, or 23 people respectively. They all got in on the first ballot, just saying that they had those jackasses not vote for them. However, with a guy like Ruth, I can see him missing a few votes because they are supposed to vote on character as well, he and Cobb should have been left off of ballots cause they were such dicks. However, they were so good that they have to be first ballot guys, kind of a tough spot.

With all that said, those issues make me think that McGwire should be in the Hall. It's a museum of the history of baseball! You can't act like the steroids era didn't exist! If let an outright racist like Cobb or a pretty sorry human being like Ruth in, I think you need to let a guy like McGwire in. He probably cheated, but baseball sold its soul to bring people back to the game by letting guys like McGwire and Canseco go untested for so long. I don't wanna hear the baseball guys crying foul. They knew what was going on and they didn't want it to stop, not with everyone turning out to see the games. He helped save baseball, and it was more than likely steroids aided, baseball didn't care then, they shouldn't care now.

And, for the record, MLB is a bunch of cowards. They dump all of this on the sports writers and say, "you figure it out." They don't do anything to retroactively punish McGwire or Canseco, they just turn it over to the sports writers who vote for the hall and hope they don't get in. Well, they're taking the same stance as Selig: pretend it's not happening. This is the stance he's taking with Bonds and it makes me sick. Make it a big deal and put an asterisk by the numbers or you could just do like you did with Rose and ban him from the game. I say let McGwire and Pete Rose into the Hall and put this right on their plaque:

McGwire: career home runs and slugging percentage were more than likely strongly aided by the use of performance enhancing drugs

Rose: banned from the game, effectively ending his career because he bet on baseball, comprimising the integrity of the game.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,614
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

I agree with you Jdlea, except what Pete Rose did was illegal while he was in uniform. What Mark McGwire allegedly did was not illegal while he was in uniform. If they're going to let Gaylord Perry, who made his career on illegally doctoring baseballs while pitching, in the hall of fame then they should let McGwire in.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
I agree with you Jdlea, except what Pete Rose did was illegal while he was in uniform. What Mark McGwire allegedly did was not illegal while he was in uniform. If they're going to let Gaylord Perry, who made his career on illegally doctoring baseballs while pitching, in the hall of fame then they should let McGwire in.
I see your point, but if Strawberry or Doc Gooden had better numbers then they would let them in. The legality of a guy's actions aren't really what should be questioned. I understand that that speaks to their character, but as I said, with a precedent of Ty Cobb, it's hard to argue that anyone has too poor character to be in the Hall of Fame. While I understand the argument about the integrity of the game, I don't think baseball can deny the whole era happened.

Also, something to consider, with Jason Grimsley (who was a mediocre pitcher at best) admitting to steroid use, how many pitchers were possibly using steroids as well? How is anyone to know that a Glavine or Smoltz or Maddux weren't juicing. They're bodies don't appear that they had, but having read Canseco's book, he claims you don't have to get huge, you can just make your muscles twitch faster, that would seem advantageous to someone looking to add some miles per hour to his pitches. The fact is no one knows how rampant steroids were and no one really knows if McGwire was using the juice to hit homers while pitchers were using the juice to hit 100 on the gun. It's a very touchy situation, but pretending like the problem isn't there will not make it go away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
Playmaker
 
GhettoDogAllStars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Age: 32
Posts: 2,761
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
If they're going to let Gaylord Perry, who made his career on illegally doctoring baseballs while pitching, in the hall of fame then they should let McGwire in.
Exactly. There were other eras of questionable integrity, yet players from those eras still go to the hall. If I'm voting, there is no room for speculation. I can't say, "well, I think he might have used performance enhancing drugs, so I won't vote for him." I think any voter using that kind of logic to keep Mac out should have their voting privleges revoked.
__________________
To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
GhettoDogAllStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,614
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
I see your point, but if Strawberry or Doc Gooden had better numbers then they would let them in. The legality of a guy's actions aren't really what should be questioned. I understand that that speaks to their character, but as I said, with a precedent of Ty Cobb, it's hard to argue that anyone has too poor character to be in the Hall of Fame. While I understand the argument about the integrity of the game, I don't think baseball can deny the whole era happened.

Also, something to consider, with Jason Grimsley (who was a mediocre pitcher at best) admitting to steroid use, how many pitchers were possibly using steroids as well? How is anyone to know that a Glavine or Smoltz or Maddux weren't juicing. They're bodies don't appear that they had, but having read Canseco's book, he claims you don't have to get huge, you can just make your muscles twitch faster, that would seem advantageous to someone looking to add some miles per hour to his pitches. The fact is no one knows how rampant steroids were and no one really knows if McGwire was using the juice to hit homers while pitchers were using the juice to hit 100 on the gun. It's a very touchy situation, but pretending like the problem isn't there will not make it go away.
Totally agree on the pitching. I mean the majority of people suspended have been pitchers.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Who doesn't vote for Ripken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
No, the only one that it took more than one try was DiMaggio, which is ****in ridiculous. He was an amazing hitter.

What they're saying about the others, though, is that they didn't get voted for by 9, 11, or 23 people respectively. They all got in on the first ballot, just saying that they had those jackasses not vote for them. However, with a guy like Ruth, I can see him missing a few votes because they are supposed to vote on character as well, he and Cobb should have been left off of ballots cause they were such dicks. However, they were so good that they have to be first ballot guys, kind of a tough spot.

With all that said, those issues make me think that McGwire should be in the Hall. It's a museum of the history of baseball! You can't act like the steroids era didn't exist! If let an outright racist like Cobb or a pretty sorry human being like Ruth in, I think you need to let a guy like McGwire in. He probably cheated, but baseball sold its soul to bring people back to the game by letting guys like McGwire and Canseco go untested for so long. I don't wanna hear the baseball guys crying foul. They knew what was going on and they didn't want it to stop, not with everyone turning out to see the games. He helped save baseball, and it was more than likely steroids aided, baseball didn't care then, they shouldn't care now.

And, for the record, MLB is a bunch of cowards. They dump all of this on the sports writers and say, "you figure it out." They don't do anything to retroactively punish McGwire or Canseco, they just turn it over to the sports writers who vote for the hall and hope they don't get in. Well, they're taking the same stance as Selig: pretend it's not happening. This is the stance he's taking with Bonds and it makes me sick. Make it a big deal and put an asterisk by the numbers or you could just do like you did with Rose and ban him from the game. I say let McGwire and Pete Rose into the Hall and put this right on their plaque:

McGwire: career home runs and slugging percentage were more than likely strongly aided by the use of performance enhancing drugs

Rose: banned from the game, effectively ending his career because he bet on baseball, comprimising the integrity of the game.
Thank you for clarifying. I think I saw the DiMaggio section taking 3 years to get in and I assumed the rest were talking about how many years it took too. I misunderstood.
Fact is, McGwire should be in the hall. He almost single handedly brought baseball back from the grave. He admitted to using performance enhancing drugs when no one was whispering a word, but the key is, it was LEGAL performance enhancing drugs. How is this McGwire's fault? If it's do to the speculation of steroids, well, then Bonds should be stripped of all his stats since I don't think there is a single soul that is more guilty of steroids in baseball than Bonds. The only thing missing is the blood test or his admission, everything else is common knowledge.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31253 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25