Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Disgusted with Bonds?

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Disgusted with Bonds?

Is anyone else disgusted with Bonds and his run at Aaron? There is no doubt in my mind he is a roid head, and he cheated to get where he is. I think this is a disgrace to baseball, and an insult to a truly great baseball player in Aaron. I know Aaron would never never say anything negative about this cause he's a class act, but he's got to be annoyed with it. He's only 15 away, and he's making me wish something I would never wish on anyone...a career ending injury. I know it's wrong, but the integrity of the sport is in jeopardy...we should not exhault players like Bonds who cheated to get where he is. It's wrong.
What does everyone else think?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-22-2007, 10:46 PM   #2
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Wrong section, but I guess I am a bit. I dont know what to make of the whole situation. It is very complicated
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Wrong section, but I guess I am a bit. I dont know what to make of the whole situation. It is very complicated
Where should have I started this thread if not here?

How is it complicated? Explain.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Sports section.

And I dont know, I think I am talking about Bonds and the NOF. Because he was good before he took steroids, and how do y uo know if others didnt take steroids. It is a big mess.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Sports section.

And I dont know, I think I am talking about Bonds and the NOF. Because he was good before he took steroids, and how do y uo know if others didnt take steroids. It is a big mess.
What's NOF? Or did you mean HOF?
But no one else is going for Aaron's record, just Bonds.
Bonds was on his way to being one of the best all around players ever until he took steroids...now I will never count him as the best.
I can see what you are saying cause who knows just how many poeple took roids...but again I say, you don't see Giambi hitting 74 homers (or even 61), or going after Aaron's record...if he was, it would be about him taking roids. This is just like Canseco hitting 40/40 first...I no longer believe he is the first 40/40 player after he admitted to steroids.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

I've moved this to Other Sports.

Ideally, you'd like someone like Ken Griffey Jr. to have gotten the record. And A-Rod could end up crushing the record anyway.

However, like Hoo said the general consensus is that whatever Bonds has used he didn't start using until after 1998. And if you cut off his career at that point he'd still be a Hall of Famer.

Furthermore, what he did may have been immoral but he didn't do anything that no one else could have done either. It's not his fault it was available and MLB chose not to test for it. As we've seen in the past couple of years pitchers have probably been the worst offenders of steroids abuse anyway.

The fact that he is a surly person makes it worse for Bonds but he shouldn't be found any more guilty than all those other players of that time that had access to and allegedly abused steroids.

This, to me, is just like the salary cap/revenue sharing issue. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Baseball needs Selig gone
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I've moved this to Other Sports.

Ideally, you'd like someone like Ken Griffey Jr. to have gotten the record. And A-Rod could end up crushing the record anyway.

However, like Hoo said the general consensus is that whatever Bonds has used he didn't start using until after 1998. And if you cut off his career at that point he'd still be a Hall of Famer.

Furthermore, what he did may have been immoral but he didn't do anything that no one else could have done either. It's not his fault it was available and MLB chose not to test for it. As we've seen in the past couple of years pitchers have probably been the worst offenders of steroids abuse anyway.

The fact that he is a surly person makes it worse for Bonds but he shouldn't be found any more guilty than all those other players of that time that had access to and allegedly abused steroids.

This, to me, is just like the salary cap/revenue sharing issue. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Baseball needs Selig gone
There is a flaw in that logic...using steroids has ALWAYS been illegal in baseball. AND it's illegal in the USA. So it's not like "anyone else could have done it". It was illegal to do, and Bonds has disgraced baseball for doing so. Let's keep the issue where it belongs. Yes, I will agree Selig dropped the ball...but you blame the person doing the illegal action, no one else.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
There is a flaw in that logic...using steroids has ALWAYS been illegal in baseball. AND it's illegal in the USA. So it's not like "anyone else could have done it". It was illegal to do, and Bonds has disgraced baseball for doing so. Let's keep the issue where it belongs. Yes, I will agree Selig dropped the ball...but you blame the person doing the illegal action, no one else.
But it wasn't tested for right? And I can't imagine he's the only player to use steroids. And how is what he did necessarily worse than scuffing a ball, or even stealing signs? If someone like Gaylord Perry can be in the HOF, then so can Bonds.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 31
Posts: 8,220
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Baseball lost its integrity a long time ago. Just another drop in the bucket.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:55 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But it wasn't tested for right?
From what I understand, it was tested for, but it was no secret as to when they tested...beginning of year I beleive.

Quote:
And I can't imagine he's the only player to use steroids.
Again, not the point. If Giambi was going for the record, I'd say the same thing. We all know he's not the only player to do roids...he's the only one that is going after a covetted record, and a record that is likely the biggest in all of baseball, and could be argued the biggest in all of sports.

Quote:
And how is what he did necessarily worse than scuffing a ball, or even stealing signs? If someone like Gaylord Perry can be in the HOF, then so can Bonds.
Canseco is not going to the hall because he took roids, and he hit 462 homers, and stole 200 bases...do you know how many people have done that in history? Why not allow him in when he was the first 40/40 player? He is a 6 time all star, a ROY and an MVP, a 4 time silver slugger award winner too. You can't compare scuffing the ball occasionally to taking steroids...or stealing signs...especially since stealing signs is NOT against the MLB rules.

McGwire and Palmiero likely won't make it either due to suspected steroid use. Even though McGwire admitted to taking Andro (which was a legal MLB substance at the time he took it).
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

But scuffing the ball is against major league rules. And Perry made an entire career out of spitballs, totally illegal. Isn't it?

Let me ask you this though, does it bother you that he used it or that he used it and is going for the record? Suppose he used it and was closing in on 600 homeruns instead would you care?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #12
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
But scuffing the ball is against major league rules. And Perry made an entire career out of spitballs, totally illegal. Isn't it?
I am unsure as to the rules at that time (I wasn't born until 75). However, if he did use it as often as you say, and it was against the rules, then I say take him out of the hall.

Quote:
Let me ask you this though, does it bother you that he used it or that he used it and is going for the record? Suppose he used it and was closing in on 600 homeruns instead would you care?
Yes, it bothers me that they use it. That means some kid busting his butt the legal way won't make it cause someone is doing it the illegal way...however, I am 10 times more upset that he is trying to taint a record, especially such a big time record like the all time homer record. I was upset about it when he hit 600, and now I am irrate that he's going to beat 755.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #13
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,696
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

I am a 1975'er as well. But I vividly remember Perry being kicked out of a game for doctoring the ball back in 1982. And I've heard and read that he'd been doing that for years.

Would it bother you if say Aaron Boone said he was using roids, knowing he's nowhere close to any record?

Baseball is interesting in that it's so numbers oriented. I mean where was the outcry for all the Carolina Panthers found to have ordered roids and HGH during their super bowl year?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 AM   #14
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

I applaud you for bringing this up at a time when nobody seems willing to call out Bonds.
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:23 AM   #15
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 52
Posts: 10,517
Re: Disgusted with Bonds?

Bonds isn't the problem, baseball is. they knew what was going on, but had no language written into the union contract that made steroids testable. the whole long ball thing with McGuire and Sosa made baseball sexy again, and the owners were loving it. baseball, with a screwed up drug policy, and no salary cap, is a messed up sport
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28843 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25