Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #16
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: University of South Carolina
Age: 25
Posts: 577
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Homerun record-*Barry Bonds

*Although he has hit mor ehomeruns then anyone else, it is widely thought that he used illegal preformance inhancing substances.

there will always be an *
__________________
University Of South Carolina '11
Go Cocks and Go Skins
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 AM   #17
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Homerun record-*Barry Bonds

*Although he has hit mor ehomeruns then anyone else, it is widely thought that he used illegal preformance inhancing substances.

there will always be an *
That's the way it should be.

So what's going to happen when the grand jury comes after him and convicts him of drug related issues?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 AM   #18
The Starter
 
dall-assblows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: round the way
Age: 31
Posts: 2,211
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

ok then there should be and * on A-rod's numbers as well because they say he may have used PIDs says jose canseco.

it isnt fair to have an * if they havent proven ANYTHING at ALL
__________________
SOMEBODY PINCH ME
dall-assblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #19
Impact Rookie
 
Redskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: University of South Carolina
Age: 25
Posts: 577
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dall-assblows View Post
ok then there should be and * on A-rod's numbers as well because they say he may have used PIDs says jose canseco.

it isnt fair to have an * if they havent proven ANYTHING at ALL

Yea but the guy that could testify and lock him up wont testify and spending his time in jail for bonds, that pretty incrimating stuff if you ask me. Why else would he refuse to testify.
__________________
University Of South Carolina '11
Go Cocks and Go Skins
#21#RIP Sean Taylor a TRUE Redskin#21#
<--Hey wheres my green approval rating?
Redskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dall-assblows View Post
ok then there should be and * on A-rod's numbers as well because they say he may have used PIDs says jose canseco.

it isnt fair to have an * if they havent proven ANYTHING at ALL
#1- what's a PID?
#2- Bonds ADMITTED to taking the steroids, just he says he used them "unknowingly" thinking that it was flax seed oil. Is admission not proof?
#3- All the books and accusations are not false.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #21
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post
Yea but the guy that could testify and lock him up wont testify and spending his time in jail for bonds, that pretty incrimating stuff if you ask me. Why else would he refuse to testify.

Absolutely.
He will be taken down. The government will get him, just like they got Vick.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 AM   #22
The Starter
 
dall-assblows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: round the way
Age: 31
Posts: 2,211
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
#1- what's a PID?
#2- Bonds ADMITTED to taking the steroids, just he says he used them "unknowingly" thinking that it was flax seed oil. Is admission not proof?
#3- All the books and accusations are not false.
Preformance enhancing drugs. and #2 is wrong because he never admitted to using steriods at all, if i recall correctly he said he put something in his body which was never found to be steriods, could of been flax seed oil for all we know. plus how can you say he used steriods when he has never failed a single drug test, never been fined by the league, or never suspended? if the league knew he used steriods dont you think Bud Selieg would be the first to come out and say "Bonds is a cheater, erase everything"? i do.

And why are you saying that all books and accusations are not false when you have absolutly no idea if they are or not, canseco would write anything to sell a book, heck, wouldnt you? if some publisher came to you and said "you say your co-worker stole from the company and we will give you millions" you wouldnt take him up on that offer? well maybe you wouldnt but a dirty POS like jose canseco sure as hell would.
__________________
SOMEBODY PINCH ME
dall-assblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #23
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dall-assblows View Post
Preformance enhancing drugs. and #2 is wrong because he never admitted to using steriods at all, if i recall correctly he said he put something in his body which was never found to be steriods, could of been flax seed oil for all we know. plus how can you say he used steriods when he has never failed a single drug test, never been fined by the league, or never suspended? if the league knew he used steriods dont you think Bud Selieg would be the first to come out and say "Bonds is a cheater, erase everything"? i do.

And why are you saying that all books and accusations are not false when you have absolutly no idea if they are or not, canseco would write anything to sell a book, heck, wouldnt you? if some publisher came to you and said "you say your co-worker stole from the company and we will give you millions" you wouldnt take him up on that offer? well maybe you wouldnt but a dirty POS like jose canseco sure as hell would.
Well, Canseco is not a reputable person if you ask me, but all his finger pointing did come true, so there must be something to it. How about the book "Game of Shadows"?
About #2, excuse me, but he did admit to taking it to a grand jury, just said it was flaxseed oil. He "unknowingly took it", which is an admission.
Also, the players union could hide a drug test on the first offense, that was part of the agreement. I don't know if they still have that now, but it was like that in the old CBA. So he could have tested positive, we don't know...#2 on this, the "clear" which is what Bonds was taking, will not come up as positive on tests.
The evidence is overwhelming. He's more guilty of taking steroids than OJ was of killing Nicole.

By the way, you bring up Selig...why do you think he has not been active in this Bonds chase? He released a statement saying congrats to bonds, but in it, he touches upon the fact that the investigation is still going on. I think Selig knows more than anyone at this point, but he is going to wait until every little bit of evidence is presented. Trust me, Bonds will go down. It's just a matter of time. Then what do we do with the tainted record when he is taken down?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #24
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dall-assblows View Post
ok then there should be and * on A-rod's numbers as well because they say he may have used PIDs says jose canseco.

it isnt fair to have an * if they havent proven ANYTHING at ALL
In terms of a PED and A-Rod, nothing has been said or written yet. Canseco is using this as publicity for his next book. There might be something, there might not be.
If there is, Baseball is really skrewed cause that will mean that home run leader is tainted, and the guy annointed to pass him is tainted.
I have difficulty thinking A-Rod did for 1 reason, he's always healthy.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 08:13 AM   #25
MVP
 
dmek25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: lancaster,pa
Age: 53
Posts: 10,519
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

this is America, people. Barry Bonds was not tried and found guilty of anything. while i hate the guy for being an ass, its his record, and not a whole lot mlb can do about it. and that had to be about the most classless thing anyone could do, Bud Selig staying away. and the only reason, is his ties to Henry Aaron. what a moron Selig is
__________________
"It's better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."
courtesy of 53fan
dmek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #26
Playmaker
 
724Skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 3,507
Thumbs down Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmek25 View Post
this is America, people. Barry Bonds was not tried and found guilty of anything. while i hate the guy for being an ass, its his record, and not a whole lot mlb can do about it. and that had to be about the most classless thing anyone could do, Bud Selig staying away. and the only reason, is his ties to Henry Aaron. what a moron Selig is
I agree, dmek, Bud Selig may have some major differences with Bonds but the fact is Bonds is a huge part of what is keeping baseball from slipping farther down in popularity.

For me, I wasn't too excited about him hitting it. Due to overall increase, homeruns are not as exciting as they once were. I remember going to baseball games as a kid and teenager hoping to see a homerun, now I go to games expecting to see 3 or 4.
__________________
"I hope I'm getting better. I hope you haven't seen my best." - Jim Zorn
724Skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by 724Skinsfan View Post
I agree, dmek, Bud Selig may have some major differences with Bonds but the fact is Bonds is a huge part of what is keeping baseball from slipping farther down in popularity.
I disagree with that statement. People are fed up with baseball and their cheating ways. These home runs are just a nail in the coffin to many a pure baseball fan. We are watching the slow demise of baseball, and until Selig does something about it, it will continue to decline. I understand Selig wanting to gather the evidence first, but he allowed this farse to take place, and won't be able to take it back once Bonds is "officially" guilty.
People who saw, or were around when Aaron broke the record, will be lost because cause they smell what MLB is shovelling.

Quote:
For me, I wasn't too excited about him hitting it. Due to overall increase, homeruns are not as exciting as they once were. I remember going to baseball games as a kid and teenager hoping to see a homerun, now I go to games expecting to see 3 or 4.
I agree with that.
You know, I miss real baseball. Sacrificing a player, running the bases with intelligence, playing outstanding defense etc. I'm tired of the long ball. As far as i know, it's all tainted.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #28
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,892
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

I love baseball. But it's been "tainted" for decades. Black Sox scandal, segregated teams, rampant drug (talking stuff like cocaine) abuse.

All the problems baseball has should not fall on Barry's shoulders.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #29
Karma Chameleon
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 30
Posts: 3,098
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Olney
No comparing Bonds across eras
posted: Wednesday, August 8, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

The number he has generated is so overwhelming that, at first glance, you don't really think about the advantages of science that he had over players from other generations. What you think about is the enormity of what he accomplished, when compared with others in his era. Playing in the same parks, with the same rules, with the same science as all the players of his time, he managed to compile a staggering statistic, accomplishing something over 100 times more than anybody of his generation.

But can we fairly compare Cy Young and his 511 victories with Sandy Koufax and his 165 victories? Or with Roger Clemens, who has 159 fewer wins than Young? We want to, but we really cannot. Apples and oranges. Different time, different ballparks, different game. Different science, in the way baseballs were constructed and maintained and replaced.

Can we fairly compare Barry Bonds and his 756 homers with the accomplishments of Ty Cobb, who played in the deadball era and hit a total of 117 homers? Or with Babe Ruth, who played when the sport was segregated? Or with Hank Aaron, whose home ballpark, for years, was smaller than Bonds' home park? Can we fairly compare Bonds with players of other generations, given the advances of science that allegedly have aided him? Nope. Different time, different game, different science. Apples and oranges.

After the game, Bonds was asked whether his home run record is tainted, and he answered bluntly. "This record is not tainted at all," he said. "At all. Period." That is what he believes. Either way, the word "steroids" is going to appear in the first two paragraphs of Bonds' obituary -- fairly or not, whether you like it or not.

But the number Bonds has generated overwhelms those produced by others of his time -- and many of his peers have probably competed with the same scientific advantages that Bonds likely has had. Sammy Sosa ranks second in home runs among players of what will always be called the steroid era, with 604 homers, 152 fewer than Bonds.

Bonds is the best player of his era. Is he better than Aaron? Better than Ruth? Better than Ted Williams or Cobb? I don't know. Apples and oranges. We do know that Bonds has hit more home runs than anybody in history, just as Cy Young has the most victories. Baseball fans must decide for themselves.
From an article on ESPN Insider.

Buster makes some very good points.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #30
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Breaking News: Barry Bonds Hits 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I love baseball. But it's been "tainted" for decades. Black Sox scandal, segregated teams, rampant drug (talking stuff like cocaine) abuse.

All the problems baseball has should not fall on Barry's shoulders.
Baseball has not been tainted for years. There have been ramifications for those actions, look at shoeless Joe being banned from baseball and he may not have been part of it. There will always be bad things that happen in any sport, but that doesn't mean it's tainted. If they are allowed to get away with it and turn a blind eye from the officials, then it becomes tainted.

It doesn't all fall on Barry's shoulders. I agree with that. He is just the head of the issue. His story is more entrenched in controversy than ANYONE. He had to go in front of a grand jury, how many other active players have had to do that? Bonds put himself in the forefront of this issue, and he should be the first to be taken down.

When you talk about a team that cheated, you think the White Sox (black sox scandal), when you think of gambling in baseball, you think of Pete Rose, when you think of steroids and benefitting from steroids, you think of Barry Bonds. Were the White Sox the only team that threw a series, probably not. Was Pete Rose the only player / manager that ever bet on baseball, hell no. Was Barry the only player to ever take roids...HELL NO. That still doesn't take away from the fact that they are the poster children.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31889 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25