Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Why do you never hear about...

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 AM   #1
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Why do you never hear about...

Jimmie Johnson? In his 6 years (this year included before the chase started) he has never come in worse than 5th in season.
#1 - 2006
#2 - 2003 and 2004
#4 - 2007 (and still going)
#5 - 2002 and 2005

He has 29 wins in 6 years, and 127 top ten finishes in 211 career starts. He wins a race 13.7% of the time, and winds up in the top 10, 60.2% of the time.
He's really an amazing driver that doesn't seem to get the recognition.

The only person that beats Johnson is Gordon who wins 15.8% of the time, and 61.7% of the time he winds up in the top 10.

To put that in perspective for the other 2 NASCAR fans on this board, Stewart wins 10.3% of the time, and top ten 60.3% of the time. (although 4 of his 9 seasons were worse than 5th in the rankings)
Denny Hamlin only wins 4.2% of the time, and top ten 53.5% of the time.

I'm not saying that Johnson is the best out there, but he's a one shade below Gordon and one shade above Stewart, that's some great company, yet no one is ever talking about him. Why is that?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #2
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

See, this is what I'm talking about. This thread has been up through all the commotion this morning, and not a single person decided to make a post on it. Why is Jimmie lost in the shuffle?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,672
Re: Why do you never hear about...

He's just kind of there. Nice guy, but he's basically Jeff Gordon after Jeff Gordon already came along.

There's no distinguishing trait about him really
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 669
Re: Why do you never hear about...

He really didnt do much after the Cowpukes won the superbowl, kinda sucked with the Dolphins and isnt a great commentator.
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
He's just kind of there. Nice guy, but he's basically Jeff Gordon after Jeff Gordon already came along.

There's no distinguishing trait about him really
But he's a winner...that's a distinguishing trait.
I actually think he's Gordon without the fire. Gordon will blow up if need be. Look at those altercations he had with Stewart a few years back? The guy is tiny but will get in people's faces if need be. Johnson doesn't do that. (at least not yet) He seems content to be mega quiet and just win. I respect that a lot, but it seems like no one else does. Johnson is 3 times the drive that Dale Jr. is, but Jr is considered the most popular driver? Doesn't make sense.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
He really didnt do much after the Cowpukes won the superbowl, kinda sucked with the Dolphins and isnt a great commentator.
LOL...I think he offers good variety to the FOX pregame show.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Impact Rookie
 
Stacks42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Arlington Va.
Age: 37
Posts: 669
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Yes, im joking. But cant we all agree that he is no Dick Trickle?
__________________
The NEXT special teams coordinator
Stacks42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Most of my friends that like NASCAR all hate him and Gordon because they just feel like they are closet homosexuals lol. I guess that's typical redneck attitude.

I always thought Jimmie was good, but like SS said he is kinda like Gordon. And a good amount of NASCAR fans don't like Gordon.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacks42 View Post
Yes, im joking. But cant we all agree that he is no Dick Trickle?
LOL...who is really?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Most of my friends that like NASCAR all hate him and Gordon because they just feel like they are closet homosexuals lol. I guess that's typical redneck attitude.

I always thought Jimmie was good, but like SS said he is kinda like Gordon. And a good amount of NASCAR fans don't like Gordon.
OOOH, is it cause he's from California too? That's why fans don't like Gordon...and Gordon wins.
But see, people don't like Gordon, Johnson is usually just left out of the conversation completely. Forgotten really.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #11
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Yeah I think it has something to do with that. I actually was watching a race on TV with my roomie, and I said "hey Jimmie is running good" and his first response was "Jimmie is gay".

I went on to ask him why he thought that? His answer was a combination of
only women like him/he is just gay/not southern or something to that effect. What I got from him is that somehow Jimmie isn't country or southern enough. It didn't really make much sense to me. I guess throwing beer at Gordon after he wins doesn't make much sense to me either.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM   #12
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Yeah I think it has something to do with that. I actually was watching a race on TV with my roomie, and I said "hey Jimmie is running good" and his first response was "Jimmie is gay".

I went on to ask him why he thought that? His answer was a combination of
only women like him/he is just gay/not southern or something to that effect. What I got from him is that somehow Jimmie isn't country or southern enough. It didn't really make much sense to me. I guess throwing beer at Gordon after he wins doesn't make much sense to me either.
LOL...I heard that about Gordon too, and it makes me laugh since his wife is hot.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Special Teams
 
Dlyne8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The ATL
Posts: 470
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Jimmie Johnson? In his 6 years (this year included before the chase started) he has never come in worse than 5th in season.
#1 - 2006
#2 - 2003 and 2004
#4 - 2007 (and still going)
#5 - 2002 and 2005

He has 29 wins in 6 years, and 127 top ten finishes in 211 career starts. He wins a race 13.7% of the time, and winds up in the top 10, 60.2% of the time.
He's really an amazing driver that doesn't seem to get the recognition.

The only person that beats Johnson is Gordon who wins 15.8% of the time, and 61.7% of the time he winds up in the top 10.

To put that in perspective for the other 2 NASCAR fans on this board, Stewart wins 10.3% of the time, and top ten 60.3% of the time. (although 4 of his 9 seasons were worse than 5th in the rankings)
Denny Hamlin only wins 4.2% of the time, and top ten 53.5% of the time.

I'm not saying that Johnson is the best out there, but he's a one shade below Gordon and one shade above Stewart, that's some great company, yet no one is ever talking about him. Why is that?
I am, and have been, a "NASCAR Fan" forever much to the chagrine of my lovely wife. Growing up in Nashville, TN, it was simply the law. If you didn't get into "racin," well, you were just a yankee or something and they'd come and haul your ass off somewhere! Seriously, I believe you don't hear much about JJ because he is very similar to the old school Redskins. He's quiet, he goes about his business, and when he's on the track, he is one of the best out there. However, Johnson lacks what most other drivers these days lack: PERSONALITY. Due to huge corporate sponsorship and the NASCAR PC Police, drivers are no longer permitted to display their emotions. Love him, or hate him, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was always entertaining to watch and listen to. Being a native southerner, even I grimaced when Sr. gave an interview, but boy was he something to watch. Thus, you always heard about him. Kind of like Tony Stewart. I'm not a fan of his, but at least he's got the kahunas to speak out even if it isn't PC and he is almost always in the news. I think NASCAR in general has lost much of it's heritage and personality. I absolutely love watching the races in HD every weekend, but I usually fast forward through most of the boring round-n-round stuff until something, or someone, gets into it. Foe me, it's just not as exciting as it once used to be, and maybe that's part of Jimmy Johnson's problem.
__________________
Charmed your drug addled candor knows no bounds
Dlyne8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:05 PM   #14
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Why do you never hear about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlyne8r View Post
I am, and have been, a "NASCAR Fan" forever much to the chagrine of my lovely wife. Growing up in Nashville, TN, it was simply the law. If you didn't get into "racin," well, you were just a yankee or something and they'd come and haul your ass off somewhere! Seriously, I believe you don't hear much about JJ because he is very similar to the old school Redskins. He's quiet, he goes about his business, and when he's on the track, he is one of the best out there. However, Johnson lacks what most other drivers these days lack: PERSONALITY. Due to huge corporate sponsorship and the NASCAR PC Police, drivers are no longer permitted to display their emotions. Love him, or hate him, Dale Earnhardt Sr. was always entertaining to watch and listen to. Being a native southerner, even I grimaced when Sr. gave an interview, but boy was he something to watch. Thus, you always heard about him. Kind of like Tony Stewart. I'm not a fan of his, but at least he's got the kahunas to speak out even if it isn't PC and he is almost always in the news. I think NASCAR in general has lost much of it's heritage and personality. I absolutely love watching the races in HD every weekend, but I usually fast forward through most of the boring round-n-round stuff until something, or someone, gets into it. Foe me, it's just not as exciting as it once used to be, and maybe that's part of Jimmy Johnson's problem.
Very good points!
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.29780 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25