Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
Oh yeah, and if you're going to keep both those guys who can't hit the ocean if they were standing in the middle of it, then at least go sign some players that specialize in offensive rebounds.
Great offense is only great if they are effecient.
Arenas can't shoot? Huh?? He's a threat to hit a game winner on any given night, and Jamison is aging like a fine wine, coming off his best season as a pro. Only Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard had more double-doubles last season than Antawn. Oh, and we definitely didn't overpay for Jamison. He's making $4M+ less than last year, and the 76ers, Grizzlies, and Clippers were interested in his services and all have a lot of money to spend.

You can't judge Gilbert by last year- he barely played and when he did he wasn't even close to healthy. In the '05-06 and '06-'07 seasons he was top 3 or 4 in scoring an emerged as one of the elite players in the game, including clutch outside shooting and as quick a first step as anyone in the game. I know you're drunk off the Celtics buying their first ring in 22 years, but put down the spiked haterade.

ESPN is reporting both Golden State and the Wiz have offered Gilbert a max value contract....
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Arenas can't shoot? Huh?? He's a threat to hit a game winner on any given night, and Jamison is aging like a fine wine, coming off his best season as a pro. Only Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard had more double-doubles last season than Antawn. Oh, and we definitely didn't overpay for Jamison. He's making $4M+ less than last year, and the 76ers, Grizzlies, and Clippers were interested in his services and all have a lot of money to spend.

You can't judge Gilbert by last year- he barely played and when he did he wasn't even close to healthy. In the '05-06 and '06-'07 seasons he was top 3 or 4 in scoring an emerged as one of the elite players in the game, including clutch outside shooting and as quick a first step as anyone in the game. I know you're drunk off the Celtics buying their first ring in 22 years, but put down the spiked haterade.

ESPN is reporting both Golden State and the Wiz have offered Gilbert a max value contract....
You think shooting 42% for a career is a good shooter? Seriously??????
In 06-07 when he averaged 28.4 ppg, he had a MISERABLE .418% from the field. That's disgusting. Especially considering he isn't creating enough opportunities for his teammates with only 6 assists per game (career average only 5.5).

About Jamison, go back and read my posts, I said I understand signing Jamison for his versaility, but you can't have multiple poor shooters as your best two players. ANY player in the NBA can score 28 ppg if you allow them to shoot enough. Antoine Walker is a prime example. He never saw a shot he didn't like, and he hurt the C's for many years, but people, like yourself, saw the PPG and thought he was good. He wasn't. You will handcuff yourself with these contracts and won't be able to do anything to move. But hey, if you're satisfied with 41-45 wins a season, then more power to you. I think it's time to shake things up a little. Getting rid of a max contract like Arenas is a perfect way to do it. He's overrated.

Quote:
I know you're drunk off the Celtics buying their first ring in 22 years, but put down the spiked haterade.
That's funny. It stinks of jealousy, but it's funny.
Keep in mind the NBA skrewed the C's with the "lottery" when we missed out of Duncan and last year when we should have had a top 2 pick and got the 5th. The NBA has dumb rules in place, so they circumvented the rules and got serious talent to win it all. And don't act all high and mighty, if you could go out and get two key free agents to win it all you would too.

You would think that SOMEONE that put down the C's here would come out and come clean about their dumb comments, but I guess that won't happen cause jealousy is ugly.

I would not mind for one minute to see the Wizards succeed, mainly cause they have always sucked, and I like underdogs, but they can't keep the same approach and think it will work.

Just one more point...Jamison aging like fine wine? So having the WORST fg% in his career is a good thing? How about his worst 3 pt% in 5 years? Yes, he puts up good points / rebounds, but the point of the game is to get the ball in the hoop. The more you miss the basket, the more the other team has an ability to beat you. 3 of your top 4 players like to miss the basket a lot. You CAN'T win like that. Go look at all the previous champions. I'm not trying to being a jerk, I'm pointing out a glaring problem that you guys aren't seeing. But hey, whatever, we'll have this discussion again next year.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,592
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

The really funny thing is over the years, and Iam dating back to the bird years, the Bullets/ Wizards have always given the Celtics fits. Even this year we lost back to back games to the Wizards.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You think shooting 42% for a career is a good shooter? Seriously??????
In 06-07 when he averaged 28.4 ppg, he had a MISERABLE .418% from the field. That's disgusting. Especially considering he isn't creating enough opportunities for his teammates with only 6 assists per game (career average only 5.5).

About Jamison, go back and read my posts, I said I understand signing Jamison for his versaility, but you can't have multiple poor shooters as your best two players. ANY player in the NBA can score 28 ppg if you allow them to shoot enough. Antoine Walker is a prime example. He never saw a shot he didn't like, and he hurt the C's for many years, but people, like yourself, saw the PPG and thought he was good. He wasn't. You will handcuff yourself with these contracts and won't be able to do anything to move. But hey, if you're satisfied with 41-45 wins a season, then more power to you. I think it's time to shake things up a little. Getting rid of a max contract like Arenas is a perfect way to do it. He's overrated.



That's funny. It stinks of jealousy, but it's funny.
Keep in mind the NBA skrewed the C's with the "lottery" when we missed out of Duncan and last year when we should have had a top 2 pick and got the 5th. The NBA has dumb rules in place, so they circumvented the rules and got serious talent to win it all. And don't act all high and mighty, if you could go out and get two key free agents to win it all you would too.

You would think that SOMEONE that put down the C's here would come out and come clean about their dumb comments, but I guess that won't happen cause jealousy is ugly.

I would not mind for one minute to see the Wizards succeed, mainly cause they have always sucked, and I like underdogs, but they can't keep the same approach and think it will work.

Just one more point...Jamison aging like fine wine? So having the WORST fg% in his career is a good thing? How about his worst 3 pt% in 5 years? Yes, he puts up good points / rebounds, but the point of the game is to get the ball in the hoop. The more you miss the basket, the more the other team has an ability to beat you. 3 of your top 4 players like to miss the basket a lot. You CAN'T win like that. Go look at all the previous champions. I'm not trying to being a jerk, I'm pointing out a glaring problem that you guys aren't seeing. But hey, whatever, we'll have this discussion again next year.
The last time Arenas, Butler, and Jamison were all healthy for an extended period (basically half a season), the Wizards had the best record in the Eastern conference. The fact is is that the Wizards can be a very good team when all three are healthy. Yes a big if, but that's how we like to roll with our sports teams here in DC. K?
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #20
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
The last time Arenas, Butler, and Jamison were all healthy for an extended period (basically half a season), the Wizards had the best record in the Eastern conference. The fact is is that the Wizards can be a very good team when all three are healthy. Yes a big if, but that's how we like to roll with our sports teams here in DC. K?
HAHA...ok man.

Like I said, I have absolutely nothing against the Wizards. I was REALLY pulling for you when Jordan was there (the greatest player ever, not the coach). I really think DC needs to win again. All DC has ever really had is the Skins, and we all want to see them win again.
I actually like the city...I hate the politics (people are way too crazy about it there) but the city is a pleasure to be in, the people are nice (for the most part), and they are knowledgable fans that deserve to win more than say L.A., N.Y., or any other city outside of Boston.

About having the best team for half a season...well the SKins had the best team in the latter part of 07, but you see where that got us right? This is why we play a full season. The wizards are VERY athletic, and quite frankly, fun to watch, but they need a key player that can hit 50% of his shots.

I wouldn't be making these comments if I didn't want to see them win. (not at the expense of Boston, but you get my point.)
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
The really funny thing is over the years, and Iam dating back to the bird years, the Bullets/ Wizards have always given the Celtics fits. Even this year we lost back to back games to the Wizards.
I don't seem to recall it that way except this year. Not saying you're wrong, but some research would do you well here.

On the flip side, Boston is 164-101 .619% vs the Washington franchise. Keep in mind the Celtics ALL time record is 4839-2860, .591%. So the Celtics beat the Wizards more than they beat other teams throughout history.

Boston Celtics Head-to-Head Results - Basketball-Reference.com
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #22
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,592
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Yeah but growing up I always felt like we lost tough games to the Bullets. I guess because I felt like we should beat them every time. =)

Jsarno I am a big Celtics fan as well but you are starting to sound like a sore winner, lets not forget we were probably the crappest team in the league just last year.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #23
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You think shooting 42% for a career is a good shooter? Seriously??????
In 06-07 when he averaged 28.4 ppg, he had a MISERABLE .418% from the field. That's disgusting. Especially considering he isn't creating enough opportunities for his teammates with only 6 assists per game (career average only 5.5).

About Jamison, go back and read my posts, I said I understand signing Jamison for his versaility, but you can't have multiple poor shooters as your best two players. ANY player in the NBA can score 28 ppg if you allow them to shoot enough. Antoine Walker is a prime example. He never saw a shot he didn't like, and he hurt the C's for many years, but people, like yourself, saw the PPG and thought he was good. He wasn't. You will handcuff yourself with these contracts and won't be able to do anything to move. But hey, if you're satisfied with 41-45 wins a season, then more power to you. I think it's time to shake things up a little. Getting rid of a max contract like Arenas is a perfect way to do it. He's overrated.



That's funny. It stinks of jealousy, but it's funny.
Keep in mind the NBA skrewed the C's with the "lottery" when we missed out of Duncan and last year when we should have had a top 2 pick and got the 5th. The NBA has dumb rules in place, so they circumvented the rules and got serious talent to win it all. And don't act all high and mighty, if you could go out and get two key free agents to win it all you would too.

You would think that SOMEONE that put down the C's here would come out and come clean about their dumb comments, but I guess that won't happen cause jealousy is ugly.

I would not mind for one minute to see the Wizards succeed, mainly cause they have always sucked, and I like underdogs, but they can't keep the same approach and think it will work.

Just one more point...Jamison aging like fine wine? So having the WORST fg% in his career is a good thing? How about his worst 3 pt% in 5 years? Yes, he puts up good points / rebounds, but the point of the game is to get the ball in the hoop. The more you miss the basket, the more the other team has an ability to beat you. 3 of your top 4 players like to miss the basket a lot. You CAN'T win like that. Go look at all the previous champions. I'm not trying to being a jerk, I'm pointing out a glaring problem that you guys aren't seeing. But hey, whatever, we'll have this discussion again next year.
How did the NBA screw the Celtics exactly?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 35
Posts: 12,623
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
You think shooting 42% for a career is a good shooter? Seriously??????
In 06-07 when he averaged 28.4 ppg, he had a MISERABLE .418% from the field. That's disgusting.
Paul Pierce is a career 44% shooter. And I'm sure you think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact, people have been saying next to Larry he's the greatest Celtic scorer ever. So he's two whopping percentage points better than Gilbert for his career. By your rationale he's pretty darn close to "disgusting" too. The Celtics have been miserable for years, you buy one ring by bringing in old guys and that opens the door for iffy criticisms I suppose. Jealous? Hell no.

And Jamison is one of the best shooting PF in the league. And a straight up double double machine. He had his BEST season at 31-32 years old. So yeah, he's aging like a fine wine, and was an all-star last season. Basically the only argument you have for any of this is shooting percentage, which is hilarious to me because your boy Pierce is only 2% away from "disgusting."
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
Yeah but growing up I always felt like we lost tough games to the Bullets. I guess because I felt like we should beat them every time. =)

Jsarno I am a big Celtics fan as well but you are starting to sound like a sore winner, lets not forget we were probably the crappest team in the league just last year.
sore winner??? How so?
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
How did the NBA screw the Celtics exactly?
The rules in place for the lottery. It shouldn't exist. Maybe skrewed is the wrong word, but the lottery needs to be fixed. It needs to be like the NFL.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #27
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Paul Pierce is a career 44% shooter. And I'm sure you think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact, people have been saying next to Larry he's the greatest Celtic scorer ever. So he's two whopping percentage points better than Gilbert for his career. By your rationale he's pretty darn close to "disgusting" too. The Celtics have been miserable for years, you buy one ring by bringing in old guys and that opens the door for iffy criticisms I suppose. Jealous? Hell no.
I know you won't believe me, but I have never been a big Pierce fan. He's a thug. I can appreciate what he did for the C's, but he's probably my 5th or 6th favorite player on the celtics.
You keep ignoring my comment of you can't have your best two players being poor shooters. They brought in KG and Allen, both are good shooters.

Your arguments are sounding terrible by the way, and usually you're better that that. Like assuming I said that Arenas was "disgusting". The FG% is disgusting, and since Arenas only offers 5.5 assists per game he's not the best choice to create opportunities. I even said he was a good player. You choose not to listen. Can't say it surprises me, no one on this site ventures outside of their own thoughts. So more power to you...signing arenas for 120mil for 6 years is great idea...might as well not even play and GIVE the Wiz the trophy. Congrats!

Quote:
And Jamison is one of the best shooting PF in the league. And a straight up double double machine. He had his BEST season at 31-32 years old. So yeah, he's aging like a fine wine, and was an all-star last season. Basically the only argument you have for any of this is shooting percentage, which is hilarious to me because your boy Pierce is only 2% away from "disgusting."
You are assuming he's MY BOY...yet again you're not listening to black and white. Have a nice day. Let me know when you decide to pay attention.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
mredskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,592
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
sore winner??? How so?
You keep bashing these Wizards fans over nothing.

Plus if Pierce is your 5th or 6th favorite player on the Celtics you are not much of a Celtics fan. He has been our best player for years, you make no sense dude. who do you like Garnett???? I am glad he came but the guy is a Timber wolf in my eyes.

Seriously, sometimes you are really cool on this site other times you turn into this raging know it all. It gets old.
mredskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #29
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsarno View Post
The rules in place for the lottery. It shouldn't exist. Maybe skrewed is the wrong word, but the lottery needs to be fixed. It needs to be like the NFL.
Yeah "skrewed" is definitely the wrong word, in many respects. You make it sound like there was some agenda against the Celtics. I like the lottery system, but that's another discussion altogether
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:46 PM   #30
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,587
re: Update: Wizards Keep Jamison, Arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredskins View Post
You keep bashing these Wizards fans over nothing.

Plus if Pierce is your 5th or 6th favorite player on the Celtics you are not much of a Celtics fan. He has been our best player for years, you make no sense dude. who do you like Garnett???? I am glad he came but the guy is a Timber wolf in my eyes.

Seriously, sometimes you are really cool on this site other times you turn into this raging know it all. It gets old.
Great post
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.35935 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25