Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Golf Drug Testing Question:

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #16
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,917
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
LOL

I can relate, the game changes at the drop of a hat. Back when I was 18, it was the summer between my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college. I was playing all the damn time. I went to play 36 with my buddy at the same course, we were there all day long. The first round I shot a 95, was knocking the ball all over the place and putting like hell. We get to the second round, I come up to the 4th hole which was a 135 yard par 3. I yanked my tee shot a little left, the ball bounces on this hill sitting just to the left of the green, the ball shoots off to the right at a 90 degree angle right at the hole, hits the pin squarely with a big BANG, and drops. Lucky ass Ace. First one of my life. From that point on, I was 2 over par over the final 14 holes. It was like the ace snapped me out of the funk. Too bad that on my first 3 holes of that round I was +5, so I ended up with a 5 over par 76 instead of an even par 71.

Still have the ball.
There's always a shot or two that keeps you coming back. It is the foundation of golf.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #17
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
BTW...I see you're up in Frederick. I've played a lot of the courses up near you. PB Dye, Worthington Manor, Whiskey Creek, MD. National and Musket Ridge.
Yep, I've been to Maryland National and West Winds up here, and Links at Challendon in Mt. Airy. My grandfather was a long time member at Fountain Head CC in Hagerstown, and I played there a few times. My uncle used to work at Greencastle Greens in PA. First time I ever played golf, was at the muni track in Hagerstown; a little POS 9 hole place on the corner of 11 and 64.

I played golf for my high school, and played a ton of places in MoCo (Laytonsville, Poolesville, Montgomery Village, Little Bennett, Northwest Park, Needwood, Bretton Woods, Lakewood CC), all for free. It was awesome. Best 3 weeks of the year were the 3 weeks leading up to school starting. Played at least 18 holes every day, Monday through Friday, all walking.

Speaking of OC, I'm playing at Beach Club Saturday afternoon with a buddy of mine. It'll be hot and humid as all get out, but I don't care. First time out all year. I've also played Bay Club, Deer Run, and Bayside Resort in the OC/Berlin area, as well as Nutters Crossing in Salisbury and Great Hope just south of Princess Anne. In college, one of my fraternity brothers used to work at River Run, and we'd get on Friday afternoons and hit until it got dark. Usually got in 13 holes before we couldn't see anymore.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #18
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Anybody ever play Wizard or Arrowhead in Myrtle Beach?

Those are the 2 courses I've played most often down there
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM   #19
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

That is one trip I'm trying to get under my belt...Myrtle Beach. My uncle has a group that goes down every January, and he's trying to get me a spot...but they have 8 solid every year.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #20
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Anybody ever play Wizard or Arrowhead in Myrtle Beach?

Those are the 2 courses I've played most often down there
I'm going to Holden's Beach in the second week of August. It's a small family oriented beach in Southern NC, only 40 minute drive from Myrtle. I've been there plenty of times but have never played these two courses. I take it you'd recommend them?

I've played The Lion's Paw, Panther's Run, Sandpiper Bay, The Pearl, Brunswick Plantation, and Lockwood Folly. They were all great experiences - Sandpiper Bay especially.

Golf capital of the world!
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
I played golf for my high school, and played a ton of places in MoCo (Laytonsville, Poolesville, Montgomery Village, Little Bennett, Northwest Park, Needwood, Bretton Woods, Lakewood CC), all for free. It was awesome. Best 3 weeks of the year were the 3 weeks leading up to school starting. Played at least 18 holes every day, Monday through Friday, all walking.
I also played in high school. It was fantastic. I grew in the western suburbs of Philly (where I still live) and all the public schools enjoy some nice perks. There is great golf in our area, but very few of the courses are public. But the schools all had deals with the best Country Clubs in the area.

I've been lucky enough to play a bunch of top notch courses because of it. Conestoga High School's home course is Waynesborough Country Club, they held a PGA event a few years ago which Furyk won. Lower Merion High (Kobe Bryant's alma mater) plays on Philadelphia Country club which is historic around these parts mainly for the folks who have played it (presidents and celebs). But we had the best home course - I was at Haverford High. You've probably heard of our home course...

Merion.

Home of the 2013 US Open. I'm so excited for that tourney because I've got very good course knowledge of that place, playing on it for years and caddying there in the summers. I can't wait to get tickets because I'll be able to stand in the fairways and be like it's 189 from the edge of that bunker, Tiger's probably got a 7 iron.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Karma Chameleon (I come and go)
 
jdlea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Annapolis, MD
Age: 29
Posts: 3,087
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm going to Holden's Beach in the second week of August. It's a small family oriented beach in Southern NC, only 40 minute drive from Myrtle. I've been there plenty of times but have never played these two courses. I take it you'd recommend them?

I've played The Lion's Paw, Panther's Run, Sandpiper Bay, The Pearl, Brunswick Plantation, and Lockwood Folly. They were all great experiences - Sandpiper Bay especially.

Golf capital of the world!
I recommend Arrowhead. It has 27 pretty well kept holes. We used to live right across the water from one of the tee boxes so we played there a bunch of times.

Wizard isn't bad. It's on the same property as Man of War and Man of War backs up to my Mom's neighborhood, so if I play down there now, it's either Wizard or Man of War. Man of War is more challenging and has a nicer clubhouse, but if I'm going to enjoy my round and not worry about how I play, I play Wizard (just a less stressful course to play). Downside is that they're both around $80. I'm kind of broke, so I won't pay it. (it especially sucks that I got an MD license so I don't get local rates any more) The Wizard/Man of War property and Arrowhead are both good places to go if you want to play more than 18, if that's your goal I would definitely recommend them.

Also, I've never played there, but I've heard great things about World Tour which is very pricey. It'll run you about $200 for a round, but you get a player assistant with your group. (free water, cleans your ball, lets you know about distance, etc) I'm hoping that one day I can play there, because I've heard it's great.

One other place I will recommend, mostly because the property is amazing, is The Witch. It's not in the most touristy part of Myrtle Beach, but it's one of the most visually pleasing courses I've ever seen. It's surrounded by a nature reserve, (which makes it interesting) I hadn't seen a gator on a course until then and there are signs everywhere warning that you shouldn't follow a ball into the woods because there are poisonous snakes. That said, the course is beautiful and it's probably the most difficult I've ever played. When we were pulling out I told my father that round was so difficult I couldn't see myself ever going back...lol. After two days I was ready to go back out and play it better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack
Albert Connell is perhaps the worst Redskin I ever had the misfortune of meeting. He's the kind of guy that makes media people covering their favorite team growing up no longer like that team
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
RG Glee
 
Schneed10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Newtown Square, PA
Age: 34
Posts: 8,279
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

LOL, Daly shot an 89 today at the British.

Scroll to the bottom: Leaderboard | Tours & News | Golf.com
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #24
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Damn...I read about his 80 yesterday (along with Mickelson's 79!), but 89 today? He phoned this one in from his trailer in Arkansas...he'll spend the rest of the weekend boozing it up in the local pubs.

Like seeing the Shark up on top of the leaderboard...David Duval too for that matter.
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,365
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Yep, I've been to Maryland National and West Winds up here, and Links at Challendon in Mt. Airy. My grandfather was a long time member at Fountain Head CC in Hagerstown, and I played there a few times. My uncle used to work at Greencastle Greens in PA. First time I ever played golf, was at the muni track in Hagerstown; a little POS 9 hole place on the corner of 11 and 64.

I played golf for my high school, and played a ton of places in MoCo (Laytonsville, Poolesville, Montgomery Village, Little Bennett, Northwest Park, Needwood, Bretton Woods, Lakewood CC), all for free. It was awesome. Best 3 weeks of the year were the 3 weeks leading up to school starting. Played at least 18 holes every day, Monday through Friday, all walking.

Speaking of OC, I'm playing at Beach Club Saturday afternoon with a buddy of mine. It'll be hot and humid as all get out, but I don't care. First time out all year. I've also played Bay Club, Deer Run, and Bayside Resort in the OC/Berlin area, as well as Nutters Crossing in Salisbury and Great Hope just south of Princess Anne. In college, one of my fraternity brothers used to work at River Run, and we'd get on Friday afternoons and hit until it got dark. Usually got in 13 holes before we couldn't see anymore.
Yep...I've played all those tracks too. I haven't played Lighthouse Sound yet so I'm going to try and hit that before the season is over. I played Montgomery Village on Sun from the tips and got my ass handed to me. That course wears me out.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea View Post
Anybody ever play Wizard or Arrowhead in Myrtle Beach?

Those are the 2 courses I've played most often down there
Yep. Have played them both, both average courses. The Wizard, The Witch, & Man O' War are all the same group just fair courses. Have played them all, and they are alot cheaper than $80 this time of season.

Just returned home this last Saturday from Myrtle Beach from a family vacation. Got in 7 rounds.

Our home away from home is Surfside beach. So I play most of my golf on the south side of Myrtle up through Pawleys Island.

This year we played Pawleys Plantation (Must play), True Blue ( Have played many times very tough keep going back), The old Seagull...just reopened now it's The Founders Club ( Outstanding), Willbrook Plantation ( Must play), Caledonia Golf and fish club ( One of my favorites, play this track every year worth the cash), Blackmoore ( Decent track and price is right shot makers course, fun track...the head pro is a really good friend, so I can't beat the price....) Wicked Stick ( same deal as Blackmoore, but a links style Daly signature course, have played way to many times just due to cost or lack there of......average at very best)

Sidenote: The day we played Pawleys the asst. noticed my Redskin attire and told me I had just missed Joe Gibbs by a day. We talked for a while it was no joke.....long story real short, Joe played the day before we did.

I went by my friends golf shop in Litchfield and he was telling me that coach had been in the shop a couple days prior with a couple of the grandbabies.....since they happen to be huge Skin fans, Nascar nuts & just overall great folks they had great conservation with Joe. He informed me that in the conversation with Joe, he had purchased a waterfront property on Litchfield Beach and is finally getting some time to use it. Being its only a mile and a half from the shop we cruised down to the beach. Unreal, its gated (so unless your invited your not getting in) but the homes on Litchfield beach are oceanfront from the looks I don't think you could touch the very cheapest home on Litchfield Beach Ocean side for under 7/8 mil. If I had to guess when Joe is getting away from NASCAR he is finally enjoying himself to the max with the church, family, golf, travel, etc.
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #27
Playmaker
 
BDBohnzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frederick, MD
Age: 35
Posts: 4,463
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yep...I've played all those tracks too. I haven't played Lighthouse Sound yet so I'm going to try and hit that before the season is over. I played Montgomery Village on Sun from the tips and got my ass handed to me. That course wears me out.
Shot a 51 from the Blues on the Sun links at Beach Club this past Saturday...could only get 9 in before having to head back to the family. Horrible start (Dime on the 1st hole! Lost 2 in the drink), but ended up parring 2 holes, including 9. I think we if had continued playing, I probably would have gotten my 45 on one of the other sets of 9 there. I'm no professional, so I try to play bogey golf...seems to help me when the day is done. If I can break 90, it's a good day.

Yeah, Mont. Village wore me out too back in the day. One of the longest 18 to walk in the county...
__________________
Bad Things man, I mean bad things...

“WE TOOK HIM IN THE SIXTH ROUND SO WE'RE NOT SMART EITHER.” - Shanny on what the Skins saw in Alfred Morris
BDBohnzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #28
Franchise Player
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA.
Posts: 9,365
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBohnzie View Post
Shot a 51 from the Blues on the Sun links at Beach Club this past Saturday...could only get 9 in before having to head back to the family. Horrible start (Dime on the 1st hole! Lost 2 in the drink), but ended up parring 2 holes, including 9. I think we if had continued playing, I probably would have gotten my 45 on one of the other sets of 9 there. I'm no professional, so I try to play bogey golf...seems to help me when the day is done. If I can break 90, it's a good day.

Yeah, Mont. Village wore me out too back in the day. One of the longest 18 to walk in the county...
41 on the front and 52 on the back. Two triples on the back nine did me in. I'm done with that place. But the good thing is my friend is a member so we pay $18 with a cart. Breaking 90 is always a good day!
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM   #29
Registered User
 
firstdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: chesapeake, va
Age: 50
Posts: 15,818
Re: Golf Drug Testing Question:

That Wicked Stick course sucks and our group marked it of the list as courses to never play again. I just cannot think of the courses we played in May but this year we decided to spend a little more on the courses and we did play some nice ones. We stay in a place which is about one block from Ocean Annie's. We come down to play every year durn the first bikers week in May and we have a blast. We did play the TPC course and we were not that impressed with its condition for what they charge. I did shoot an 81 so I was happy with my score but I did loose a stroke or two due to its condition. We also played twice at a course that had a Castle shaped club house and it had three different 18 hole courses which was pretty nice and I just remembered we played Oyster Bay also.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.32450 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25