Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Playmaker
 
djnemo65's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: MA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,836
Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

I had no idea basketball was so popular over there. Anyway, I really enjoyed this article. Gilbert seems like such a relaxed down-to-earth person, and it sounds as if he really went out of his way to give love back to his adoring Filipino fans. I hope he really does play a year over there after his NBA career.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/sp...arenas.html?hp
djnemo65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 34
Posts: 16,275
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Crazy.

It's nice he went to meet the people that made his shoes.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #3
Impact Rookie
 
JLee9718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 566
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Maybe he'll learn that basketball is a team sport. What I'd really like to know is what the Wizards' won-lost record would've been if Arenas had played every game.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Crazy.

It's nice he went to meet the people that made his shoes.
I think you meant "children".
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

LOL
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Maybe the word "overrated" would have been better than sucks...but funny nonetheless...especially the picture of LeBron james nutts in his face.

Although, I am pretty sure most here won't find it funny.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin

Last edited by jsarno; 07-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 34
Posts: 16,275
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

That was obviously made by some jerk in Ohio.

Now where's the video showing his game-winning threes? It would be much longer.



The only thing that video showed me is how much of a jerk Lebron is. I forgot about that time he said something to Gilbert on the line. Is that even allowed? Touching and talking to the opposing player on the line? I thought it was a technical foul? It made a lot of people (including the commentators) pretty angry when he did that. Very unsportsmanlike and classless. After touching Gil and saying "if you miss this, the game is over", he stepped aside and made a choking motion and said something profane about Arenas to the Cleveland crowd, then bragged about "trash talking" him into a miss after the game.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster

Last edited by Monkeydad; 07-23-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
That was obviously made by some jerk in Ohio.

Now where's the video showing his game-winning threes? It would be much longer.



The only thing that video showed me is how much of a jerk Lebron is. I forgot about that time he said something to Gilbert on the line. Is that even allowed? Touching and talking to the opposing player on the line? I thought it was a technical foul? It made a lot of people (including the commentators) pretty angry when he did that. Very unsportsmanlike and classless. After touching Gil and saying "if you miss this, the game is over", he stepped aside and made a choking motion and said something profane about Arenas to the Cleveland crowd, then bragged about "trash talking" him into a miss after the game.

Is that seriously a foul? Everyone has done it...just watch the mouths of the guys behind the guy shooting the free throw. Jordan has done it, Bird did it, Kobe has done it...I don't think anyone hasn't done it at some point. I know the Washington fans love to bash LeBron, but let's not think that he's the only one that has ever done this. Most are usually more discreet, but I'd bet any amount of money Arenas has done something similar at some point too.

Although, I don't remember the "touching" part. What did he do? Was it while he had the ball at the line????

ps- if talking to arenas is all it takes from him to miss free throws, then he doesn't belong on the line during crunch time.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #9
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,484
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

I've got no problem with the trash talking at the line. It's part of the game. Pippen did it to Karl Malone a decade ago in the NBA Finals when he said "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays."

It was kind of ridiculous to post that video on this thread in the first place, but whatever.
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
Franchise Player
 
jsarno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 31 Spooner St.
Age: 39
Posts: 9,534
Re: Arenas visits the Philipinnes, gets God-like reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I've got no problem with the trash talking at the line. It's part of the game. Pippen did it to Karl Malone a decade ago in the NBA Finals when he said "The mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays."

It was kind of ridiculous to post that video on this thread in the first place, but whatever.
Yup, sure was. Just wait, I'm sure I'll have a vince young one soon.
__________________
Zoltan is ZESTY! - courtesy of joeredskin
jsarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.23776 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25