Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Any UVA football fans here?

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Any UVA football fans here?

For those that have the courage to admit it, that is?

What the hell has happened to that team? They lost to William & Mary yesterday. Last season they managed to lose to Duke, and the year before that they lost to Wyoming.

We all know it's hard to get into UVA. But it was the same way under George Welsh and they were far more relevant then. So is this all on Al Groh? I thought he was a good coach, but man do they underachieve with this guy or what?

I'm thinking they either need to drop their status to Division I-AA or loosen those academic restrictions for athletes. If they're not careful they'll replace Duke as the official doormats of the ACC. And don't even tell me there's a rivalry between the 'Hoos and Tech. The Hokies took Alabama down to the wire last night. They're not in the same class as Tech.

Right now this is just embarassing.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
The Starter
 
Warpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,762
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

They should of canned Groh 2 years ago. I root for UVA because it was the first ever football game my dad took me to but they are not good. Knowing that I never have high hopes for them thats for sure. They may not wwin a game all season.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Yeah, I wonder about Groh too -- but just like with pro football the general manager and front office have to take some of the blame, in college the athletic director deserves scrutiny too.

The program from the top down has really regressed. That said, the Cavs always seem to start slow and finish respectable, but for Pete's sake you can't lose to W&M at home.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
The Starter
 
Warpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,762
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Yeah, I wonder about Groh too -- but just like with pro football the general manager and front office have to take some of the blame, in college the athletic director deserves scrutiny too.

The program from the top down has really regressed. That said, the Cavs always seem to start slow and finish respectable, but for Pete's sake you can't lose to W&M at home.
Yea man I agree. Pretty ridiculous when you lose to W&M. Ive been saying for 2 years know they need a change in the head coaching position. Maybe now they'll do something.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
The Starter
 
redsk1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,351
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Yeah, you can't lose to W&M at home. They are a good team but you can't let that happen if you are UVA. It's a little embarrasing. Some things that Al Groh does I respect. His teams fight hard and never give up generally. You're right too, that it would be just like an Al Groh team to pick themselves up and make it a respectable season. I just can't take up for him when he's got 3 starting qb's. Pick 2 Al and go. Verica is not a starting Qb.

I think UVA needs a change though. I'd welcome it. They need someone like a Paul Johnson (Ga Tech now). Someone who has an innovative system and who can implement it.

It's already ugly in C-ville, and it could get very ugly.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #6
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Al Groh should have been fired a few years ago. He's terrible.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

groh must go. Been saying that since 05. I actually just graduated this last May. Let me just say, after my first year I was almost always blackout drunk during games. There were not fun to be at in a sober state of mind.

But there are other great academic schools which have good football teams too. At some point the coaching is the issue.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Craig Littlepaige shares quite a bit of blame too. Groh is actually a pretty good coach, but he is more cut out for the NFL level. He coaches and runs his team like an NFL program. This does not work, unless you have superb athletes (mentally and physically).
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Playmaker
 
skinsfan_nn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport News,Virginia
Age: 49
Posts: 4,495
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Yep, I'm a fan!

Hate to see the boys loss to W & M, of all teams. Need to rebound QUICKLY!
__________________
"There's no greater feeling than moving a man from Point A to Point B, against his will." #68

THANKS COACH GIBBS FOR EVERYTHING! YOUR THE MAN AND ALWAYS WILL BE!
skinsfan_nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Somethings he says may somewhat be based on truth, but Coward is a idiot. Tons of other schools do the dress up stuff too. Get the F over it.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
groh must go. Been saying that since 05. I actually just graduated this last May. Let me just say, after my first year I was almost always blackout drunk during games. There were not fun to be at in a sober state of mind.

But there are other great academic schools which have good football teams too. At some point the coaching is the issue.
What's the most academically rigorous school that consistently does well?

Every conference has their Baylor (Big 12), Vanderbilt (SEC), Stanford (PAC-10), Northwestern (Big Ten), Duke (ACC), and they suck year in and year out.

I just hope UVA isn't added to that list.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooskins View Post
Somethings he says may somewhat be based on truth, but Coward is a idiot. Tons of other schools do the dress up stuff too. Get the F over it.
Yeah, what he said struck a nerve with a lot of UVA folks, but he's right; UVA is soft. They have good talent (judging by NFL players from UVA), but they just don't play passionate football (as a team) while in Charlottesville. Talent wise, there is no reason why UVA should lose to W&M.

Just for curiosity's sake, who else dresses up like that? Honestly, I don't know.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #14
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Yeah, what he said struck a nerve with a lot of UVA folks, but he's right; UVA is soft. They have good talent (judging by NFL players from UVA), but they just don't play passionate football (as a team) while in Charlottesville. Talent wise, there is no reason why UVA should lose to W&M.

Just for curiosity's sake, who else dresses up like that? Honestly, I don't know.
UGA, Alabama, Tenn, etc. Again it isn't everyone, more like a bit more than 50 percent of the student crowd. Same at UVA, not everyone dresses up. Quite a bit of people just wear jeans and a orange tee.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: Any UVA football fans here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
What's the most academically rigorous school that consistently does well?

Every conference has their Baylor (Big 12), Vanderbilt (SEC), Stanford (PAC-10), Northwestern (Big Ten), Duke (ACC), and they suck year in and year out.

I just hope UVA isn't added to that list.
I don't Northwestern is that bad. Much better than UVA. I would add Navy and Notre Dame to the list.

How about Michigan, UCLA, Berkley? Their standards for players arent tough, but they are great academic schools.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28959 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25