Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #46
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,195
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
Kind of. The Supreme Court ruled on that last year, I believe. You can legally hold a handgun in the District if approved by the city. Most people don't get approved. I don't know how the city handles citizens of other states who pass through. Probably in draconian fashion.

The NBA does have a rule about guns in arenas (you can't), but my goodness the outrage this has brought. It just doesn't seem like the actions of Mr. Arenas warrants him losing his career over. You'd think he intentionally ran over a baby with his car, the way people are reacting.
I do agree, I think it's turning into a bit of a sideshow. But he deserves at least a lengthy suspension and a huge fine. Even though I said his career is over, I doubt it. But he definitely won't be playing in DC anymore. This is basically Vick 2.0. Everyone will hate him for awhile, a few months later most people won't care about it.
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #47
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
I do agree, I think it's turning into a bit of a sideshow. But he deserves at least a lengthy suspension and a huge fine. Even though I said his career is over, I doubt it. But he definitely won't be playing in DC anymore. This is basically Vick 2.0. Everyone will hate him for awhile, a few months later most people won't care about it.
I agree that it's becoming that, but I don't think this incident warrants the comparison. Two very different degrees of offenses involved. One virtually none; the other bordering on evil, depending on the truthfulness of various witness accounts.

IMO, a 5 game suspension would be sufficient in this case.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #48
MVP
 
DynamiteRave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington DC
Age: 27
Posts: 12,195
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
I agree that it's becoming that, but I don't think this incident warrants the comparison. Two very different degrees of offenses involved. One virtually none; the other bordering on evil, depending on the truthfulness of various witness accounts.

IMO, a 5 game suspension would be sufficient in this case.
What about the other player that actually loaded and cocked the gun?
__________________
Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best.

"We're officially horrible." -RedskinRat

I'm a chick, damnit.
DynamiteRave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 PM   #49
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamiteRave View Post
What about the other player that actually loaded and cocked the gun?
A poorly conceived joke with no malicious intent is what I perceive, if it in fact happened as has been reported. 5 games would probably suffice in that case as well.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #50
Impact Rookie
 
JLee9718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 567
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Two years ago when I read that Arenas played video games at half time while the coach went over strategy with the other players was when I made up my mind that the Wizards would be better off without him...then for some strange reason Grunfeld signs him to that monstrous contract, which was ridiculous because all the other teams knew his reputation. We coulda signed a couple of really good players for $111 Mil. Why does everybody go braindead when they start working for the Wizards?
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #51
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee9718 View Post
Two years ago when I read that Arenas played video games at half time while the coach went over strategy with the other players was when I made up my mind that the Wizards would be better off without him...then for some strange reason Grunfeld signs him to that monstrous contract, which was ridiculous because all the other teams knew his reputation. We coulda signed a couple of really good players for $111 Mil. Why does everybody go braindead when they start working for the Wizards?
I think that was really Abe Pollin driving that. That and Jamison's contract. When Pollin passed away, all the tributes were about what a loyal guy he was and how he would pay whatever necessary to show loyalty to guys even when they didn't deserve it. Even Unseld said he shouldn't have been GM for all those years, but Pollin was showing loyalty to him. But as much as loyalty I think it was also old age and the desire to see a winner before he passed away. We saw something similar with the Chiefs and Lamar Hunt.

But anyway, whoever it was. I agree that Gill got an absurd contract. And with NBA contracts being guaranteed it's even more damaging. Amazing that just two years ago the debate was who was the more popular athlete in DC-CP or Gil? And now they can't get out fast enough

And then I saw this. Say what?!

Former Wizards coach Eddie Jordan and his staff privately intimated they felt undermined by Grunfeld when it came to matters of discipline with Arenas. Arenas, a notorious practical joker, often crossed the line of acceptable decorum. The example often cited was how Arenas once defecated in teammate Andray Blatche's shoe during Blatche's rookie season. His behavior often went unchecked and unpunished, said a former team employee on condition of anonymity.

For Gilbert Arenas and Wizards franchise, latest incident sheds light on entitlement - washingtonpost.com

Leonsis can't take over this team soon enough
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,985
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
And then I saw this. Say what?!

Former Wizards coach Eddie Jordan and his staff privately intimated they felt undermined by Grunfeld when it came to matters of discipline with Arenas. Arenas, a notorious practical joker, often crossed the line of acceptable decorum. The example often cited was how Arenas once defecated in teammate Andray Blatche's shoe during Blatche's rookie season. His behavior often went unchecked and unpunished, said a former team employee on condition of anonymity.

For Gilbert Arenas and Wizards franchise, latest incident sheds light on entitlement - washingtonpost.com

Leonsis can't take over this team soon enough
The poo story is pretty bad. I don't know if you saw this last week but after reading it I seriously think Gil is a sociopath.
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #53
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Wow...the NBA version of Najeh Davenport.

He used to be my favorite NBA player (even earlier this season) but I'm learning so much about him that knocks the respect down even further with every story.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #54
Franchise Player
 
ArtMonkDrillz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Age: 31
Posts: 7,985
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
The poo story is pretty bad. I don't know if you saw this last week but after reading it I seriously think Gil is a sociopath.
I guess the link would have helped my post make a little more sense: D.C. Sports Bog - A history of Gilbert's practical jokes
__________________
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." The Dude
ArtMonkDrillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #55
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,741
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtMonkDrillz View Post
I guess the link would have helped my post make a little more sense: D.C. Sports Bog - A history of Gilbert's practical jokes
Ironic how one of them goes to a TIME magazine story called "How Agent Zero Saved D.C"
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #56
Impact Rookie
 
JLee9718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 567
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

I hadn't read the story about Blatche's shoe, and I think that's disgusting. Arenas should have been disciplined then. But what coach would put up with a player playing video games at halftime? None that I know of, except the Wizards let Arenas get away with it. Also, I heard Mike Wise talking about his article on arenas on his morning sports show, but have just read it. I'd love to see the Wizards get out of Arenas's contract so they could sign somebody who is grown up. The Wizards will never win with a clown who has a warped personality as their leader.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #57
Playmaker
 
over the mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: close to the edge
Posts: 3,364
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
A poorly conceived joke with no malicious intent is what I perceive, if it in fact happened as has been reported. 5 games would probably suffice in that case as well.
with guns and drinking & driving, the courts have taken a zero tolerance, strict liability approach.

i agree that what arenas did doesnt deserve a lifetime ban or anything over 20 or so game suspension but 5 games is too light. you can have mitigating factors is every case, but when guns are involved there has to be a set minimum and 5 games is too low for such a class of offense.

its a shame that arenas thinks he's being funny, tries to damn hard to be liked . .your not a class clown and your not 12.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #58
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5 View Post
A poorly conceived joke with no malicious intent is what I perceive, if it in fact happened as has been reported. 5 games would probably suffice in that case as well.
That may be the case, but his joke was also a felony. I feel ZERO remorse for Agent Zero. Don't let the doorknob hit ya...
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #59
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That may be the case, but his joke was also a felony. I feel ZERO remorse for Agent Zero. Don't let the doorknob hit ya...
Unlikely that he'll be charged with a felony given that, as far as we know, he hasn't tried to hide anything from the police and has been cooperative. There are a lot of "felonies" committed where the prosecutors never even mention the word when prosecuting them.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #60
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Arenas Stored Guns in Locker Room

Sources: Arenas owned several hundred guns - wtop.com


He's finished.
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.34580 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25