Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #301
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'd be stunned if Florida doesn't take a big step forward next year compared to this year.

I'll give you this, Oregon is fun to watch. Their offense is legit, that's for sure. I have no problem with that team at all. I like Chip Kelly.

I also think you're underestimating Auburn. They've beaten 5 top 25 teams this year, including Arkansas, LSU, and Bama. They're battle tested and have the best player in the country under center.

I think that game will be a treat to watch, provided Auburn doesn't slip in the SEC Championship game.
Are they going to take big steps necessary to beat Bama, Auburn, SC, LSU? I doubt it. I don't see how they can get better than those teams.

What you fail to realize is that no one can prepare you for the Ducks. We are talking about a team that runs the next play within ten seconds of the previous play all game long. It's going to be fun to watch alright.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #302
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Are they going to take big steps necessary to beat Bama, Auburn, SC, LSU? I doubt it. I don't see how they can get better than those teams.

What you fail to realize is that no one can prepare you for the Ducks. We are talking about a team that runs the next play within ten seconds of the previous play all game long. It's going to be fun to watch alright.
That's because you really don't know anything about SEC football, particularly Florida. And that's fine. I don't fault you for it being a west-coast guy. I don't know the ins and outs of most PAC 10 schools.

What you fail to realize is that a few years ago, everyone said 2010 would be Bama's year, not 2009. Bama is gonna lose a slew of talent on both sides of the ball. They peaked a year early, and after a 3 loss 2010 campaign, they're losing Julio Jones, Greg McIlroy, Mark Ingram, and a several other starters. Auburn is gonna lose Cam Newton (why would he stick around after a Heisman campaign and all the developing accusations around him), and South Carolina is also full of upperclassmen. LSU may be around next year, but again, they're SEC West.

There is no reason that Florida can't be right back on top of the SEC East next year. For as much as they lost from the 2009 departures, they're so ripe with young blue-chips it's almost not fair. Do some research if you don't believe me. I'm not just waxing poetic about my alma mater.

As far as Oregon, everyone knows they run play after play with rarely 15 seconds in between. Good for them. It's brand new to college football. They're sporting it well while it's hot, and it may win them the big one this year. I wouldn't be mad if it did. But in the long run I just don't think that style has any staying power whatsoever. But hey, if you win a national title doing it, it doesn't matter I guess.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #303
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,922
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
That's because you really don't know anything about SEC football, particularly Florida. And that's fine. I don't fault you for it being a west-coast guy. I don't know the ins and outs of most PAC 10 schools.

What you fail to realize is that a few years ago, everyone said 2010 would be Bama's year, not 2009. Bama is gonna lose a slew of talent on both sides of the ball. They peaked a year early, and after a 3 loss 2010 campaign, they're losing Julio Jones, Greg McIlroy, Mark Ingram, and a several other starters. Auburn is gonna lose Cam Newton (why would he stick around after a Heisman campaign and all the developing accusations around him), and South Carolina is also full of upperclassmen. LSU may be around next year, but again, they're SEC West.

There is no reason that Florida can't be right back on top of the SEC East next year. For as much as they lost from the 2009 departures, they're so ripe with young blue-chips it's almost not fair. Do some research if you don't believe me. I'm not just waxing poetic about my alma mater.

As far as Oregon, everyone knows they run play after play with rarely 15 seconds in between. Good for them. It's brand new to college football. They're sporting it well while it's hot, and it may win them the big one this year. I wouldn't be mad if it did. But in the long run I just don't think that style has any staying power whatsoever. But hey, if you win a national title doing it, it doesn't matter I guess.
Wait, those other SEC guys aren't stacked with talent either? They all got the recruits man and these Gator bunch haven't show me they're that more special. I forgot about Arkansas too. Losing Cam is going to hurt Auburn big just like losing Tebow hurt the Gators.

I've watched my share of SEC games granted not as much as Pac-10 games. The Gators will probably win the SEC East but after that it's going to be hard to do much. Time will prove me right. USC 2.0.

As for Oregon's style, well, so long as that style wins it will stick. You'll also probably see teams implement the visual cue cards too. NCAA is a copy cat league and people will copy what works and wins.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #304
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1 View Post
Wait, those other SEC guys aren't stacked with talent either? They all got the recruits man and these Gator bunch haven't show me they're that more special. I forgot about Arkansas too. Losing Cam is going to hurt Auburn big just like losing Tebow hurt the Gators.

I've watched my share of SEC games granted not as much as Pac-10 games. The Gators will probably win the SEC East but after that it's going to be hard to do much. Time will prove me right. USC 2.0.

As for Oregon's style, well, so long as that style wins it will stick. You'll also probably see teams implement the visual cue cards too. NCAA is a copy cat league and people will copy what works and wins.
Well, Lane Kiffin is no Urban Meyer, plus we don't have the sanctions/loss of scholarships that USC is dealing with.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #305
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So...any thoughts on the Hurricanes?
I'm a bit surprised they parted with Randy Shannon already, but I guess he did have 4 or 5 years. I don't like the U one bit, but they are a storied program with enough of a name/history that they should be doing better than they have been recently. Especially in the weak ass ACC.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #306
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,678
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm a bit surprised they parted with Randy Shannon already, but I guess he did have 4 or 5 years. I don't like the U one bit, but they are a storied program with enough of a name/history that they should be doing better than they have been recently. Especially in the weak ass ACC.
You know the rumor is Gruden is going to the Canes...and the rumor is also he's going to the Niners...my source close to Gruden says he's not going anywhere for another year at least...but people change their minds

How about TCU joining the Big East? Geography be damned!
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #307
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,654
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
So...any thoughts on the Hurricanes?
Their AD needs to go...
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #308
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,062
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
You know the rumor is Gruden is going to the Canes...and the rumor is also he's going to the Niners...my source close to Gruden says he's not going anywhere for another year at least...but people change their minds

How about TCU joining the Big East? Geography be damned!
Yep they are going to dominate that conference
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #309
MVP
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Age: 37
Posts: 11,654
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

NCAA exposes loophole with Cam Newton eligibility ruling - ESPN

Once again the NCAA shows their the worst governing body in all of sport...Selig trys hard to be number one, but he always gets out done by these guys. What a bunch of horsesh*t. Apparently you can at least attempt to sell your sons in their world.
__________________
Ditka for President
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #310
Playmaker
 
mlmdub130's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 3,190
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
Yep they are going to dominate that conference
they are gonna be a damn hard team to beat in the big east thats for sure, hopefully bill stewart will actually retire and wvu can get a legit ncaa coach and not a pop warner coach like they have had the past few years

so anyone besides me wanna draft cam newton?? he is just heads and shoulders above the rest. he knows when and how to turn "it" on, and he is damn good at it. and his accuracy towards the end of this year has gotten very impresive
__________________
"I don't think anybody should have regrets, especially me, ... You don't regret what you do in your life. If you do it, you do it for a reason."

ST21
mlmdub130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #311
You did WHAT?!?
 
EARTHQUAKE2689's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: In The Kitchen With Dyna.
Age: 25
Posts: 12,062
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

I don't wanna draft Cam Newton
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpp3ycMvQd0

This is why you need Mentos. To justify your questionable problem solving skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7geP5ev0VI

Awesome isn't it.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #312
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
I'm a bit surprised they parted with Randy Shannon already, but I guess he did have 4 or 5 years. I don't like the U one bit, but they are a storied program with enough of a name/history that they should be doing better than they have been recently. Especially in the weak ass ACC.
They've tried to survive too long on their legacy. They don't put the resources into their program that are necessary to be a top tier program anymore. When they upgrade their facilities and find themselves a more established coach who can recruit their own state they'll be back.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #313
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,888
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHQUAKE2689 View Post
I don't wanna draft Cam Newton
I'll second that. He sounds like a punk who was in on it, but from the way the story goes I think his dad set it up so that if he was caught Cam Newton wouldn't get punished for it.

Anywayzzzz VT ACC Champs again baby! I'll be the first to say I thought we were done when we lost to a FCS school (JMU) for the first time but this school bounced back in a major way and now we're on our way to another Orange Bowl berth. I've heard reports we'll be going up against either WV or Stanford, and if that's the case I'd def. rather go up against Stanford, because I don't think WV is that much of a challenge. The Big East is a pretty weak conference and Stanford has been ballin' all season. Give me the bigger challenge, especially for this great VT team that's won 11 in a row.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #314
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Va Tech got lucky that Ponder couldn't play for FSU. Woulda made that game a lot better to watch.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:35 AM   #315
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: ***2010-2011 College Football Thread***

Cam Newton is absolutely outstanding. It'll be interesting to see what kind of pro he'll be.

This national title game is going to be a treat to watch.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.31804 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25