Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Other Sports


University of Miami Football Program

Other Sports


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop View Post
We ain't no "U" at SC

"Dee, Miami's AD during most of the period covering Shapiro's allegations, is retired and no longer under NCAA jurisdiction. Still, it seems only fair he should spend a day at USC's Heritage Hall wearing a sandwich board with the word 'Hypocrite.'"

Bravo, Mr. Mandel.
Some people are saying that Miami should avoid the "death penalty." I say why? It's one thing if players are sneaking benefits behind the back of coaches and administrators. It's another thing when multiple sports with not only players but numerous coaches and even the PRESIDENT of the University taking money (see Donna Shahala's pic accepting a $50K check from Shapiro) from this sleazeball...

My point is, it's not just the players who are at fault, it's the coaches and head administrators at The U who not only looked the other way, but reaped the benefits as well. That program should go the way of the DoDo.

The NCAA has an epidemic on their hands. They need to put their foot down. This is one of the more disgraceful stories I can ever remember reading.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #17
Living Legend
 
GTripp0012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evanston, IL
Age: 26
Posts: 15,994
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
The NCAA has an epidemic on their hands. They need to put their foot down. This is one of the more disgraceful stories I can ever remember reading.
So when this is Florida in two years, do we just lather-rinse-repeat? Punish Miami now, then gradually hit every SEC school one by one? Or should we actually solve the institutional problem that is the NCAA is completely useless as a force for positive change.
__________________
according to a source with knowledge of the situation.
GTripp0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #18
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: University of Miami Football Program

i agree. nuke it. inell the players, ban the coaches, kill the program.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #19
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 31
Posts: 16,278
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
So when this is Florida in two years, do we just lather-rinse-repeat? Punish Miami now, then gradually hit every SEC school one by one? Or should we actually solve the institutional problem that is the NCAA is completely useless as a force for positive change.
idealy, those that don't take the warning and clean up immediately should get ban hammered.


If the NCAA wants to fix how it does business, that's fine, but if you never start enforcing your rules, then no one is ever going to follow them.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #20
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: University of Miami Football Program

This isn't a black and white deal. NCAA I-A football is a business. Major f*ing business. With lots of money. By enforcing their "rules" the NCAA is hurting their business. By ignoring their rules they end up killing real competition and hurting their business. They're in a real tough spot on this stuff. If there were an easy fix to the underlying problems then I think we can all be sure that the NCAA would have figured that out and implemented whatever changes were dictated. But whenever we are talking about a giant business with major money involved you're never going to eliminate pure human self-interest. It's what drives every single human-being alive. The only way for the NCAA to "fix" this is to fundamentally change what the sport is...which probably kills it as a business. Anyone think the NCAA is going to do that?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: University of Miami Football Program

How come an SEC team hasn't been caught in this wave (key phrase: This wave)? Shouldn't they be suspect number 1? For God's sake alumni would donate a kidney to 5 star recruits relative if they were to consider going to their school. Of course here in the South you would have to teach a lot of people what a kidney is but COME ON! Give me one SEC school. I just watched a 10 minute segment on the History channel talking about how College Football in the South. You have to find SOMETHING!

Of course I'll probably get my wish. "Yep those Vanderbilt Comadores just couldn't play by the rules, I tell you what."

Talk about the freaking Teflon conference. Tons of charges get filed but none of them ever stick.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #22
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,888
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
Some people are saying that Miami should avoid the "death penalty." I say why? It's one thing if players are sneaking benefits behind the back of coaches and administrators. It's another thing when multiple sports with not only players but numerous coaches and even the PRESIDENT of the University taking money (see Donna Shahala's pic accepting a $50K check from Shapiro) from this sleazeball...

My point is, it's not just the players who are at fault, it's the coaches and head administrators at The U who not only looked the other way, but reaped the benefits as well. That program should go the way of the DoDo.

The NCAA has an epidemic on their hands. They need to put their foot down. This is one of the more disgraceful stories I can ever remember reading.
I agree with you, but ask you to implore the scenario that the same thing could be going on at Florida, because it's certainly not limited to teams like Miami, USC, etc. If that is the case, are you prepared for Florida to face extremely harsh penalties like Miami is about to receive?

I feel like it's a little hypocritical of the NCAA to act like it's individual schools that are doing this, but in reality it's probably widespread amongst all the big name schools. The system needs to be fixed, and I don't think the NCAA is prepared to accept it.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #23
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Auburn and Miss. St. had some run-ins last year. Just wait...the SEC can't possibly be clean enough to avoid this. Is anyone convinced that some level of these types of "infractions" aren't occurring at every major I-A school?
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #24
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
I agree with you, but ask you to implore the scenario that the same thing could be going on at Florida, because it's certainly not limited to teams like Miami, USC, etc. If that is the case, are you prepared for Florida to face extremely harsh penalties like Miami is about to receive?

I feel like it's a little hypocritical of the NCAA to act like it's individual schools that are doing this, but in reality it's probably widespread amongst all the big name schools. The system needs to be fixed, and I don't think the NCAA is prepared to accept it.
"Fixing" it would essentially kill the money-making machine that it is. Hard to realistically see it any other way.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #25
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
"Fixing" it would essentially kill the money-making machine that it is. Hard to realistically see it any other way.
They won't even fix the BCS let alone the under the table deals that programs across the country use to "get an edge." NCAA is a terrible authority. Like some sort of messed up government where lassie-fare meets a dictatorship.
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #26
Franchise Player
 
FRPLG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 35
Posts: 9,951
Re: University of Miami Football Program

I won't argue that the NCAA isn't terrible. I would say that the NCAA isn't in position to be as strong as many believe. Remember the BCS really has very little to do with the NCAA. It is a entirely different organization formed by the big conferences. But yes it is also awful. And yes the NCAA is clueless...I guess more accurately they're directionless. They don't necessarily have the priorities as to doing what is the most best for everyone involved. The operate from this arcane position of maintaining "amateurism" when the entire environment around these "amateurs" is about as least amateur as one could imagine.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Most Interesting Man in the World
 
hooskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chantilly, VA
Age: 27
Posts: 8,606
Re: University of Miami Football Program

The way to make the best out of this crap is to view it as an opportunity. NCAA needs to admit they f'ed up in regulations and completely overhaul/change on how to enforce the rules. Or if they are going kill the NCAA as a business change the rules. Do something instead of idly sitting and letting it sink.

America is all about second chances. Come out, say you screwed up and try to change. The masses' opinion of the NCAA would be a lot better if they did that rather than the status quo.
__________________
Vacancy
hooskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #28
Swearinger
 
GMScud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 36
Posts: 12,623
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
So when this is Florida in two years, do we just lather-rinse-repeat? Punish Miami now, then gradually hit every SEC school one by one? Or should we actually solve the institutional problem that is the NCAA is completely useless as a force for positive change.
I agree about your comments that the NCAA is useless here, but when you say "we," who do you mean? Who has oversight over the NCAA? No one really. Like that guy said, until they start enforcing their own rules, nothing is going to change.

For those of you who mention Florida, yeah, if this happened there I would be sick to my stomach as an alumnus, but I would expect the harshest of punishments.

Anyway, given that the NCAA is all about $, when you look at the massive deal the SEC just inked with ESPN, I'd be surprised if any of your SEC bellcow programs get in big trouble any time soon. And that's wrong.
__________________
Insert witty signature here
GMScud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #29
MVP
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NoVa
Age: 26
Posts: 11,888
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
"Fixing" it would essentially kill the money-making machine that it is. Hard to realistically see it any other way.
Pretty much. That's why I doubt anything will change. Miami will get harsh punishment, life will go on, and we'll forget about this until the next school gets charged.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:12 AM   #30
Naega jeil jal naga
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia From: Silver Spring, Maryland
Age: 29
Posts: 14,657
Re: University of Miami Football Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Pretty much. That's why I doubt anything will change. Miami will get harsh punishment, life will go on, and we'll forget about this until the next school gets charged.
And history suggest that Miami will one day be a powerhouse again, though it may take like 10 years. (See Alabama suspension).
__________________
"It's nice to be important, but its more important to be nice."
- Scooter

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.30837 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25