Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #16
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,275
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Oh, I don't hate it at all. I just think it would be awesome if bars banned it. Seriously I don't have a HUGE issue with it, just would "prefer" if it was banned in public areas.
Ditto. Do it in your own home all you want, although I'd want someone with a small child to be responsible about it. In public places, because of the number of IRRESPONSIBLE and rude smokers, it needs to be banned. They had their chance and didn't make good with it.

I just wish they'd start enforcing littering laws on smokers. If I ate some chicken on a stick from the Chinese restaurant and tossed the stick out of my car when finished, I'd expect to hear sirens and a $500 deduction from my checking account. I didn't even light my trash on fire!
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #17
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,584
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Yup, same here. Littering laws are DEFINITELY not enforced on smokers. And yes I can see the other side's argument, but how can you seriously justify a habit that's been proving to be more damaging to others than yourself?

In that same story I quoted above, one girl was like, "Well they can just avoid us." Why should we have to go out of the way to accommodate your habit?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:53 PM   #18
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 35
Posts: 9,967
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins_P
....I've heard that in Europe everyone smokes....I mean EVERYONE. I had my first hand experience in South America and let me tell you, kids down there start smoking much earlier than here.
I was there last summer and let me tell you, people there smoke, a lot. I was shocked to see so many people smoking. Hell, when I arrived in Amsterdam airport I was impressed to see people smoking inside the airport as they walked about. I latter learned that it was illegal to smoke inside the airport but nobody gave a damn. Italy took the cake though, the streets were littered with cigarettes buds. You should have seen Saint Peter's Square!
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:33 PM   #19
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

To me, the issue isn't about smokers rights vs. non-smokers rights. It's about private property rights.

If I started a restaurant, why should the government be in a position to decide for me whether I can or cannot allow smoking on my property?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #20
‎\m/
 
Mattyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 82,934
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
To me, the issue isn't about smokers rights vs. non-smokers rights. It's about private property rights.

If I started a restaurant, why should the government be in a position to decide for me whether I can or cannot allow smoking on my property?
Just because I own some land it doesn't mean I can set up shop and do whatever I want with it.
Mattyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #21
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Just because I own some land it doesn't mean I can set up shop and do whatever I want with it.
The topic is not "whatever you want", it's smoking.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:06 PM   #22
The Starter
 
jamf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Diego Ca
Posts: 2,396
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

I hate kissing a smoker...
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #23
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,584
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven
To me, the issue isn't about smokers rights vs. non-smokers rights. It's about private property rights.

If I started a restaurant, why should the government be in a position to decide for me whether I can or cannot allow smoking on my property?
Well, the government decides a lot of things you can do on business property, so why should smoking not be one of them?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #24
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72
Just because I own some land it doesn't mean I can set up shop and do whatever I want with it.
Right. You cannot interfere with the rights of someone else. Apart from that, it's a free country -- at least, that's what it's supposedto be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcomConnection
Well, the government decides a lot of things you can do on business property, so why should smoking not be one of them?
The short answer to your question is, why give the government one more reason to intrude into the lives of private property owners?

Now, hereís the long answer. As an example to your point Malcom, letís use the Department of Health argument -- What's the difference between the government instituting food safety standards and doing the same with smoking?

The difference is that you can protect yourself from second hand smoke (if you're a non-smoker) and first-hand smoke (if you are a smoker): you can leave the restaurant, or you can quit. However, the same is not true of food-borne illnesses. In the latter case, the government is adhering to its legitimate purpose of protecting the rights of life, liberty and property of individuals through force or fraud. Since no one can protect themselves from the hazards of food-borne illnesses, short of not eating out, the government has the responsibility to guard against a threat that an individual otherwise cannot guard him or herself against.

Bottom line, government has the power and the obligation to protect your rights from others. It doesnít have the power, nor the resources to protect you from yourself.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:49 PM   #25
I like big (_|_)s.
 
TheMalcolmConnection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lexington, Virginia
Age: 33
Posts: 17,584
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Actually, you can really say the same thing for smoking. I think you're only thinking about the smokers, I'm talking about the non-smokers. Should the government not protect our health from smokers?
__________________
Regret nothing. At one time it was exactly what you wanted.
TheMalcolmConnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #26
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

the only thing i think girls hsould be able to smoke are poles. thats win-win baby.
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #27
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
Actually, you can really say the same thing for smoking. I think you're only thinking about the smokers, I'm talking about the non-smokers. Should the government not protect our health from smokers?
Again, isn't that something that non-smokers can do for themselves? I mean, if you're in a restaurant with 300 other people and they're all smoking and you're not, is it the government's role to bust in there and tell everyone to put out their cigarettes, or is it your responsibility to leave?
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #28
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

well beemn, its not a majority vote type of thing i wouldnt think. i would think its a HEALTH thing.
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #29
The Starter
 
PWNED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ZOMGZZZ!!111
Age: 22
Posts: 1,153
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

the bottom line question for me is, why should nonsmokers have to adapt to someone elses habit that hurts both people?

sorry to butt into the argument guys but i have to throw my two cents in
__________________
143 lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.
PWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #30
Pro Bowl
 
Beemnseven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia Beach
Age: 40
Posts: 5,293
Re: Smoking Laws in NY and NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNED
well beemn, its not a majority vote type of thing i wouldnt think. i would think its a HEALTH thing ... the bottom line question for me is, why should nonsmokers have to adapt to someone elses habit that hurts both people?
My argument is they don't have to "adapt". Non-smokers can take matters of health into their own hands and leave a smoke-filled restaurant, and go to a non-smoking one.

According to those that favor smoking bans, there would be no restaurants that a smoker could go to. In a free country and in free markets, everyone has a choice.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.28033 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25