Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


F... Wal-Mart

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM   #31
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
BSB does what he can.

The only reason to hate Walmart is it beats the shit out of the little guy. I mean no one can compete with walmart. For the consumer it is great and if you cant beat it, join it. Walmart offers a ton of jobs and can be a boost to an economy of a run down place. for my little stock market project at school i put some play money into their stock but it isn't doing all that great but it did go up some. I like Wal-mart. I can buy all this stuff so damn cheap and all i have to do is put up with some babies screaming. The people who manage those stores probably make a shit load. They could hold Walmart in a tent in the middle of winter and there still would be people there. I like it.
No, people who CHOOSE WAL*MART over the smaller businesses beat the little guys. I shop at small businesses because of their better service, shorter lines and closer proximity to my home. I made that choice despite paying a little more...I'm paying for service and I'll gladly pay more to walk out happy instead of frustrated. The only thing WAL*MART is guilty of is a successful business plan.

I don't see people picketing Sears or even Target because they "hurt the little guy".
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #32
The Starter
 
Warpath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Potomac Falls, VA
Age: 38
Posts: 1,762
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
...
That stat is probably not accurate anyways since most of their employees are high school/college kids and retired people.
And the people that have been there for a few years due pretty well for themselves. I know that if you've worked there for so many years, you get time and a half on Sundays, and for some of those people its over $25 an hour. Thats not bad for Wal-mart. Wal-mart isn't all bad. It does suck, I agree, but its not all bad all the time. Try shopping around 7-9am weekdays, the place isn't busy then. As a vendor I try to get in by 7 and out by 4, anytime after that you might as well just stand around and watch the freak show.
Also alot of the employees that work there are treated like utter crap from shoppers. I have seen it happen day after day. Customers yelling at employees because of prices, or out of stock items, or lack of customer service.
If you want the TOTAL package for the Wal-mart experience go shoppong on the Friday after Thanksgiving (dubbed Black Friday). As a vendor Im required to be there. Theres some serious funny sh*t that happens, not to mention the fights.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:51 PM   #33
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster

Welfare has ruined FAR more lives than it has helped. If some of these people would work hard and learn some skills, they could move out of WAL*MART and the poverty level.
.
truer words were never spoken. everybody wants something for nothing. if people would do for themselves instead of waiting for a handout this country would not be in the shape that it is in.right on buster
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #34
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,876
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
Yeah, because capitalism is bad for the economy.
dude, have you even seen this documentary? capitalism is not bad for the economy... but being so cutthroat that it eliminates competition completely is directly antithetical to the basic tenets of capitalism. Capitalism is suppose to promote competition, not create overwhelming monopolies that ravage every single small business out there. Capitalism states that if you work hard enough in the system, you will prosper. Now, there's the slightest chance of becoming a successful entrepreneur in the retail convenience market b/c of Wal-Mart. Exactly how is Wal-Mart promoting the best aspects of capitalism? Target is still around, but what's the long term future of mom and pop's? Especially in small towns where mom and pop's have depended on for livelihoods.

did you also think "supersize me" was an infringement on people's choices to eat what they want? both just showed some truths... granted, eating mickey d's three times a day for a month is exaggerated, but you get the point... we're the fattest country in the world.

if you can dispute anything in "the price of low cost," be my guest. I'm not some rabid socialist saying that capitalism is bad, but it's important that people know the resulting consequences of another's success. I've also read "The world is flat" by friedman, so I do understand the business plan of wal-mart.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:38 PM   #35
Impact Rookie
 
Bushead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 780
Re: F... Wal-Mart

One time i forgot to buy my sister a christmas present, so at 2Am on Christmas Eve, I happened to be fighting a mob of people at Wal Mart. If you think that there weird people there on a regulaur day, you should check out holidays.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 AM   #36
Puppy Kicker
 
Daseal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Age: 32
Posts: 8,260
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
we're the fattest country in the world.
Australia is able to claim that title!

Quote:
Welfare has ruined FAR more lives than it has helped. If some of these people would work hard and learn some skills, they could move out of WAL*MART and the poverty level.
Please explain to me whos life Welfare has ruined and why? Granted Welfare needs changes to be successfull. The basis of it is to help those people who need a little help. I've known people who abused it, and I knew people who were able to get on their feet and become successfull because of it. A guy I used to work with had a kid out of High School, he worked 10 hours a day, but without medical insurance he was screwed. He got Welfare for a little while, got back on his feet, and is doing very well today.

Also, when you look at the cost of daycare. I believe the numbers (too lazy to go look them up now) but assume we have a single mother with two kids. If the best job she can find is for around 9-10 dollars. It actually saves her money to not go to work because of Daycare charges.

Now, there are holes in Welfare no doubt and I hate to see that money wasted on someone who is lazy, but lets not pretend that Welfare doesn't also go towards helping good and honest people who are down on their luck.
__________________
Best. Player. Available.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:20 AM   #37
Camp Scrub
 
Misterbillysells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 80
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Wal-mart is responsible for 9-11
Misterbillysells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:37 AM   #38
Pro Bowl
 
BigSKINBauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Age: 26
Posts: 5,637
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
40% of their employees live below the poverty limit.
and if walmart wasn't there there would be competition for little jobs in little family owned stores and if they did get a job as a sales associate they wouldn't be any richer than they are now. I have no problem with Wal-mart, they shouldnt HAVE to pay their employees more or have to help out companies they run out of business. This is still capitalism and companies should be able to do whatever they want. I also have no problem with people boycotting wal-mart or people protesting against them comming to their town because that is also their right. If enough people stop buying there then things would change but the fact is they are the bsest at what they do.
__________________
"For there is nothing half so glorious
As to see our team victorious"



BSB
BigSKINBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #39
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpath
And the people that have been there for a few years due pretty well for themselves. I know that if you've worked there for so many years, you get time and a half on Sundays, and for some of those people its over $25 an hour. Thats not bad for Wal-mart. Wal-mart isn't all bad. It does suck, I agree, but its not all bad all the time. Try shopping around 7-9am weekdays, the place isn't busy then. As a vendor I try to get in by 7 and out by 4, anytime after that you might as well just stand around and watch the freak show.
Also alot of the employees that work there are treated like utter crap from shoppers. I have seen it happen day after day. Customers yelling at employees because of prices, or out of stock items, or lack of customer service.
If you want the TOTAL package for the Wal-mart experience go shoppong on the Friday after Thanksgiving (dubbed Black Friday). As a vendor Im required to be there. Theres some serious funny sh*t that happens, not to mention the fights.
People yell at WAL*MART employees over PRICES? That's hilarious and sad wrapped up in one. Are they complaining that the prices are too low or something?
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:17 AM   #40
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by itvnetop
dude, have you even seen this documentary? capitalism is not bad for the economy... but being so cutthroat that it eliminates competition completely is directly antithetical to the basic tenets of capitalism. Capitalism is suppose to promote competition, not create overwhelming monopolies that ravage every single small business out there. Capitalism states that if you work hard enough in the system, you will prosper. Now, there's the slightest chance of becoming a successful entrepreneur in the retail convenience market b/c of Wal-Mart. Exactly how is Wal-Mart promoting the best aspects of capitalism? Target is still around, but what's the long term future of mom and pop's? Especially in small towns where mom and pop's have depended on for livelihoods.

did you also think "supersize me" was an infringement on people's choices to eat what they want? both just showed some truths... granted, eating mickey d's three times a day for a month is exaggerated, but you get the point... we're the fattest country in the world.

if you can dispute anything in "the price of low cost," be my guest. I'm not some rabid socialist saying that capitalism is bad, but it's important that people know the resulting consequences of another's success. I've also read "The world is flat" by friedman, so I do understand the business plan of wal-mart.
No I won't watch those "documentaries" just like I didn't watch that piece of trash that Michael Moore tried to promote as a "documentary".

There's a sector of society who wants to tear down sucessful businesses and make sure no one has to take personal responsibility for their decisions, or lack of them. McDonald's doesn't make you fat...your desire to stuff 1200-calorie, grease-soaked meals down your throat as you're sitting in front of a TV does. WAL*MART doesn't make people poor, they provide goods, services and jobs to those who have less money than others. They also don't make people be lazy or uneducated, the jobless and uneducated people do that to themselves in most cases.

Just because they call it a documentary, doesn't make it true. Even if it's on the news or in a newspaper doesn't make it true.

"Being a cutthroat" is not unfair as long as you're not breaking any laws. Businesses have ALWAYS had to learn to adapt to survive in our capitalist nation. Did they make films about how Henry Ford was being a "cutthroat" by mass-producing cars on an assembly line and making them affordable? Well, maybe those who didn't keep up with him made these wild claims, but ingenuity and innovation are what have made the United States the world's economic superpower. Yes, Sam Walton was innovative. He found a way to provide MORE products in a single building to more people at a lower price. He's not to blame for his success, the consumers who thought it was a great idea and gave him business did.

I find most people who hate WAL*MART to be either selfish or lazy. They want small businesses to suceed but big business to fail. WAL*MART was once a small business. Would you want your sucess to be taken away to help those who haven't found a way to suceed? It's the welfare, entitlement mindset that has ruined America's largest cities. If you want sucess, use your mind and work hard like Sam Walton did...don't expect to be handed money or to tear down those who worked harder than you.

Maybe someday you'll grow up. Getting a job, getting married and having a family and REAL responsibilities will help you, hopefully.
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #41
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 35
Posts: 16,270
Thumbs up Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSKINBauer
and if walmart wasn't there there would be competition for little jobs in little family owned stores and if they did get a job as a sales associate they wouldn't be any richer than they are now. I have no problem with Wal-mart, they should HAVE to pay their employees more or have to help out companies they run out of business. This is still capitalism and companies should be able to do whatever they want. I also have no problem with people boycotting wal-mart or people protesting against them comming to their town because that is also their right. If enough people stop buying there then things would change but the fact is they are the bsest at what they do.
Good post. I also don't have a problem if a town DOESN'T want a big store because of potential traffic problems, loss of a rural scenery or if they just love their small businesses. They need legitimate reasons not to give WAL*MART their business though, not because they saw some lying movie about how WAL*MART is "evil".

Is it THAT hard to think these days? I guess so...
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #42
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,414
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
No I won't watch those "documentaries" just like I didn't watch that piece of trash that Michael Moore tried to promote as a "documentary".

There's a sector of society who wants to tear down sucessful businesses and make sure no one has to take personal responsibility for their decisions, or lack of them. McDonald's doesn't make you fat...your desire to stuff 1200-calorie, grease-soaked meals down your throat as you're sitting in front of a TV does. WAL*MART doesn't make people poor, they provide goods, services and jobs to those who have less money than others. They also don't make people be lazy or uneducated, the jobless and uneducated people do that to themselves in most cases.

Just because they call it a documentary, doesn't make it true. Even if it's on the news or in a newspaper doesn't make it true.

"Being a cutthroat" is not unfair as long as you're not breaking any laws. Businesses have ALWAYS had to learn to adapt to survive in our capitalist nation. Did they make films about how Henry Ford was being a "cutthroat" by mass-producing cars on an assembly line and making them affordable? Well, maybe those who didn't keep up with him made these wild claims, but ingenuity and innovation are what have made the United States the world's economic superpower. Yes, Sam Walton was innovative. He found a way to provide MORE products in a single building to more people at a lower price. He's not to blame for his success, the consumers who thought it was a great idea and gave him business did.

I find most people who hate WAL*MART to be either selfish or lazy. They want small businesses to suceed but big business to fail. WAL*MART was once a small business. Would you want your sucess to be taken away to help those who haven't found a way to suceed? It's the welfare, entitlement mindset that has ruined America's largest cities. If you want sucess, use your mind and work hard like Sam Walton did...don't expect to be handed money or to tear down those who worked harder than you.

Maybe someday you'll grow up. Getting a job, getting married and having a family and REAL responsibilities will help you, hopefully.
so you're going to bash (a factually accurate) documentary film without ever seeing it? that's not prejudice in any way and is also in no way hypocritical to the arguement you're trying to make here (/sarcasm).

Microsoft has people bashing its PRODUCTS all the time, but no one bashes the company in the way you see with walmart, cause MS doesn't lock its employees in overnight, refuse to pay them for overtime regularly, or advises them to apply for food stamps and housing assistance when they get hired. The gripes about negative social impacts are true. Not so much where I live, but much moreso in more rural settings. Walmart has revolutionized logistics as has dell, but the greed is overpowering.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:04 PM   #43
Living Legend
 
That Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Springfield, VA
Age: 32
Posts: 16,414
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
Good post. I also don't have a problem if a town DOESN'T want a big store because of potential traffic problems, loss of a rural scenery or if they just love their small businesses. They need legitimate reasons not to give WAL*MART their business though, not because they saw some lying movie about how WAL*MART is "evil".

Is it THAT hard to think these days? I guess so...
or because walmart demands free land, free construction (parking lots, roads etc), and to be paid to come into town.
__________________
Who says shameless self promotion is stupid? oh yeah, that was me... Click For Tunes!
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 PM   #44
Playmaker
 
itvnetop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 2,876
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster
No I won't watch those "documentaries" just like I didn't watch that piece of trash that Michael Moore tried to promote as a "documentary".

Just because they call it a documentary, doesn't make it true. Even if it's on the news or in a newspaper doesn't make it true.
I kind of had a feeling you'd associate this documentary with MM... the two aren't even close. If you'd seen it at all, you would have known that and you wouldn't have made this strawman.

Quote:
Being a cutthroat" is not unfair as long as you're not breaking any laws. Businesses have ALWAYS had to learn to adapt to survive in our capitalist nation. Did they make films about how Henry Ford was being a "cutthroat" by mass-producing cars on an assembly line and making them affordable? Well, maybe those who didn't keep up with him made these wild claims, but ingenuity and innovation are what have made the United States the world's economic superpower. Yes, Sam Walton was innovative. He found a way to provide MORE products in a single building to more people at a lower price.
Um, how many car manufacturers are there now? Are we forced to only buy Ford? Henry Ford did innovate, but it spawned competition for better models, better engines, more speed, better safety, etc. The japanese car industry's business model is now being adapted by American companies because of the trend towards pricing-gas efficiency. I agree that Sam Walton was also innovative, but if you researched Wal-Mart at all, you'd know there was a whole team of people who came up with his business model (IT people included). But to compare his case to Ford's is faulty- Henry Ford's business model didn't single-handedly destroy every other car manufacturer out there.

Quote:
He's not to blame for his success, the consumers who thought it was a great idea and gave him business did.
Um, the consumers aren't at all concerned about how innovative the Wal-Mart business model is. The general buying market in any country is driven by the bottom line- and that is price.

Quote:
I find most people who hate WAL*MART to be either selfish or lazy. They want small businesses to suceed but big business to fail. WAL*MART was once a small business.
I find this generalization extremely judgmental, but maybe I'm getting mixed up b/c this is the Internet and intentions are always misconstrued... but regardless, alot of the people I know who hate Wal-mart are not either selfish or lazy. Our problem with Wal-Mart is not so much how they became successful (again you should read how their use of technology played a major part of this), it's what happens to other businesses. Wal-Mart invades a new neighborhood, they create a consumer monopoly by undercutting everyone else's prices by a wide margin, and when competition is eliminated Wal-Mart raises prices back up.

In capitalism, companies always undercut each other to corner a market. But when they do that, rivals find ways to innovate, make products better... but people stay in business. Those that do not bring anything new to the table (or have terrible business plans) inevitably fail. But in the retail convenience market, Wal-Mart isn't innovating any new product... they cut out the middle supplier and they're re-selling from direct sources. They can afford to keep their prices way lower than any of the mom and pop's, as long as it takes to eliminate the competition because they are Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Would you want your sucess to be taken away to help those who haven't found a way to suceed? It's the welfare, entitlement mindset that has ruined America's largest cities. If you want sucess, use your mind and work hard like Sam Walton did...don't expect to be handed money or to tear down those who worked harder than you.
Nobody's saying that Wal-mart has to give any of their profits to lazy people. But when you say "those who haven't found a way to succeed"- you're talking about people who did find a way to succeed in America... and they did it the ultimate way, doing it themselves. Mom and Pop's are products of entrepreneurial spirits, creativity, hard work, and a lot of risk-taking. They are started by those with similar qualities as CEOs of Fortune 500s. They are not lazy and nobody handed them anything. They've played by the rules, but now Wal-Mart is driving them out of business.

Wal-Mart is basically telling the world that the only way to "adapt" and stay successful in their industry is to become big business. Is that your idea of acceptable adapting? What's wrong with remaining a small business owner? And don't tell me small business owners can remain successful by adapting the Wal-Mart business plan- mom and pop's do not have the luxury of slashing prices to near retail for an indefinite amount of time until competition is erased.

And don't get it twisted, Wal-Mart isn't where they are at b/c they worked harder than other people. You can use the argument that they are more successful b/c of their business plan, but do not use false claims that they somehow put in more hours than everyone else. I'm willing to ante up major bucks that Mom and Pop's work just as hard, if not harder to stay in business nowadays. For the last time, please read how Wal-Mart got to where it is now... then you'll stop trying to use these arguments painting Wal-Mart as the epitome of the American dream and everyone who hates it as lazy, welfare recipients.

Quote:
Maybe someday you'll grow up. Getting a job, getting married and having a family and REAL responsibilities will help you, hopefully.
Not sure who this is directed at, but you'd better be careful with your Internet etiquette... judging someone you've never met just isn't cool. Basing this statement on my opinion of Wal-Mart isn't representative of maturity, so telling me to "grow up" seems ironic.
itvnetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:38 PM   #45
Playmaker
 
gibbsisgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: 129 W 81st street
Age: 35
Posts: 3,503
Re: F... Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown
Go to any poor area and look around at all the people doing nothing. Its amazing how many people don't even care to get a job and will live of wellfair and food stamps for as long as they can. Yes it does help some but its a mighty high price we pay for the one's it does help.
not just welfare. unemployment is just as bad.the system has soooo many holes in it as it stands right now. it is way too easy for someone to minipulate the system and i will give you one example. we had a guy work where i do and he was worthless. i mean he would do nothing all day but play games on the comp. at his station . this was allowed to go on because Mgmt. sucks at my job. he got himself fired on purpose so he could collect umemployment. i believe he had to wait 6 weeks for it to start but he recieved it nontheless. all he has to do is prove he has been looking for work and applied at X number of places to be eligible for benefits. he has been going in and out of places and when he gets an interview he asks for way more then the jobs will pay and he applies for jobs he no expierience at.they need to start watching these programs that are designed to help the needy. they have turned into a free ride for lazy f*cks.
gibbsisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.40225 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25