Warpath  

Home | Forums | Salary Cap Info | Shop | Donate | Stay Connected




Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Parking Lot


Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Parking Lot


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #121
Uncle Phil
 
SmootSmack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 44,481
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

I have a part 2 to my question. When I'm talking to the salespeople what speicific questions should I be asking? How should I approach getting the best deal?
__________________
You're So Vain...You Probably Think This Sig Is About You
SmootSmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #122
Special Teams
 
Dave Butz Baby!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Reston, VA
Age: 44
Posts: 450
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I have a part 2 to my question. When I'm talking to the salespeople what speicific questions should I be asking? How should I approach getting the best deal?
For getting the best deal, just do good research. Walk in there with printed pages from web sites: KBB, Edmunds, Yahoo, and other local dealers. Looking at all those sites, get a good idea of how much it costs for exactly what you want. Figure out your max price and stick to it... don't be talked out of it!

Your location may also make a difference in price. Check online to see if the same car is listed cheaper in somewhere else within a couple hours from you. It can sometimes be worthwhile to drive a bit to buy something.

The info on the net is great for things like this. It's really easy to call bullshit when you can pull a competitors printed ad out of your pocket. You can never have too much information or do too much research... an informed buyer makes good buys!
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Dave Butz Baby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #123
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
The Honda CR-V is probably my top choice right now. But I've been hearing good things about the Subaru Forester. I know Consumer Reports gave them both good reviews

Canthetuna, any thoughts on the Toyota SUVs? I know that's your area of expertise.

Wow, I completely missed this thread. 4X4 with Nav... tough one for 25-30k...

What else is important to you... fuel economy???

I like the new RAV4... especially with the V6... but like the CRV it is not available with navigation. You should come check one out.

You can also check out my used inventory at

www.leesburgtoyota.com

and www.leesburghonda.com

click on the used car inventories, and if anything interests you let me know... I can probably get you most anything close to cost, as I am one of the internet managers now and have access to all of that stuff.

I DEFINATELY would not buy a Hyundai, Kia, or Daewoo... I know they're much more dedicated to quality now than they were, but their reputation has a while to catch up with them, and that affects their resale value.

I just bought a new Toyota Camry... 2007 XLE V6 (no nav) with 268 HP and a six-speed auto trans. I shopped around, because even though I sell Toyotas I was quite the Infiniti fan (I still miss my G35) and there is no other car on the market as nice (for the money) and there is no better value... plus its a sexy car now.

I wouldn't rule it out unless you ABSOLUTELY NEED a 4X4. (BTW.. I have family in Rhode Island and they all drive front wheel drive cars... I think thats close to conn??)

I'll PM you with my number.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #124
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS
I have a part 2 to my question. When I'm talking to the salespeople what speicific questions should I be asking? How should I approach getting the best deal?
Saden's Guide to Buying a Car:

1. If you are financing get your loan in order before going to the dealer. Dealers don't have your best interest at heart hooking you up with a lender. I mean, you wouldn't share a restate agent with the guy who's trying to sell you a house now would you? Of course if the car manufacturer has a good deal (i.e. 3.99% apr) take it. If you have good credit you can shop around online for a lender. E-Loan was good to me.

2. Don't state you are ready to buy until you're absolutely sure about the car you want and are ready to buy right there and then. Otherwise, just say I'm looking around. When sales people approach you speak like you know your shit, that way they won't take you for a sucker.

3. Don't tolerate pushy sales people. Your facial expression should tell them to back the fuck off if they seem pushy.

4. Once you know the type of car you want shop online for your car. I mean, call the dealers that have the car you are looking for. It's easier.

5. Know the cost of the car and what you are willing to pay for it. This part is though because you don't want to low-ball the sales person to the point where they think you're taking them for a ride. Never pay MSRP. Depending on the car you might be able to get away with offering 2K less than the MSRP. If they won't sell you the car for 2k less try 1.5K less. If they still won't, simply walk away. You can do all the hagging over the phone if you are not comfortable with haggling face to face. Also, make sure you have a backup dealership if the one you're dealing with tries to screw you.

6. Sales people nowadays make a good amount of money from auto manufacturers for good customer reviews. The sales men will probably tell you to give him a good review on a servery you'll receive via mail from the auto manufacturer. Work this knowledge to your advantage. Don't feel sorry for these guys or the dealership...they get theirs and you need to keep yours.

If you want a more comprehensive guide to buying a car check this site out...it is very comprehensive and informative!!!!!!!!!! Pay close attention to the scams dealers pull.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #125
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

So you work at the Leesburg Toyota/Honda dealerships, canthetuna?

I bought my 4Runner (April 2005) & Civic (May 2001) from there. I got pretty good deals on both, especially the Civic. I'll tell you what though, I dealt with Susan Cassidy when buying the 4Runner and was totally put off by her attitude. She was very snobby. We bought a Scion tC 2 months later and because of my experience with her, I didn't even consider going back to Leesburg to buy it.
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #126
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Wow...

Susan sits right next to me and is really a nice lady. Her personality is a little dry, and if you're only meeting her for a few hours I could see how you could think that she's snobby.... I thought the same thing when I met her.

I don't know what she did to turn you off to the dealership that much, but if you want to get another car from here just let me know... you can deal with me instead lol.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #127
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Wink Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1

6. Sales people nowadays make a good amount of money from auto manufacturers for good customer reviews. The sales men will probably tell you to give him a good review on a servery you'll receive via mail from the auto manufacturer. Work this knowledge to your advantage. Don't feel sorry for these guys or the dealership...they get theirs and you need to keep yours.
Actually the manufacturer gives us crumbs for surveys... at my dealership our ENTIRE bonus plan is tied directly to the surveys.

I had a customer one time that I went out of my way to get a car for and bring it in to my dealership (the only one in a 5 state region). I gave him a discounted price before I went and got the car and he signed a buyer's order. We don't want any suprises if we're taking the time to go get the car.

When he came in to pick it up he wanted further discounts... which I refused. We already had come to an agreement to which he had signed. It wouldn't be right for me to tell him I needed to charge him more money for the car, especially since he couldn't go anywhere else and get it because I had the only one... and it wasn't right for him to try that with me.

This prick filled out all POORS on my survey (after me giving him 2 free tanks of gas and paying to have his car re-detailed out of my own pocket)

That cost me 3000 dollars in bonuses 2 months after I sold him his car. If I ever see him in the street Im going to give him 3000 dollars worth of Dental Co-pays.

What I'm saying is... salespeople are people too. Some are snakes, but so are some shoppers, and dont just fuck with people for the sake of fucking with them.

Usually, if you're educated and just try to work out a fair deal a dealer will work with you.


side note:
Do not accept anything added on to a car automatically, though. Addendum stickers with "appearance packages" or "environmental packages" or anything like that is a scam.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:47 AM   #128
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna
Wow...

Susan sits right next to me and is really a nice lady. Her personality is a little dry, and if you're only meeting her for a few hours I could see how you could think that she's snobby.... I thought the same thing when I met her.

I don't know what she did to turn you off to the dealership that much, but if you want to get another car from here just let me know... you can deal with me instead lol.
Yeah, I guess the best way to describe her is by saying her personality is dry. The car buying experience just was not pleasant with her.

I don't know when it will be when I buy my next new car (depends how long my Civic lasts - only 125k on it right now) but I'll look you up when the time comes. Do you deal with Toyotas only, or could I buy a Honda through you as well?
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #129
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna
side note:
Do not accept anything added on to a car automatically, though. Addendum stickers with "appearance packages" or "environmental packages" or anything like that is a scam.
Yeah, that's why I bought my car from Leesburg Honda. I looked at Koons, but they jacked up the price by adding dealer installed options. I didn't want any of that crap. Plus Wayne Brent (I think that was his name), gave me a smokin deal on it. I think I paid $14150 (dropped the dest charge too). Is that salesman still there?
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #130
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

I only sell new Toyotas and I sell used cars from both stores. I am not certified in hondas, only Toyotas. I chose Toyota because of all of the new products they're launching and the broader lineup of vehicles. (full sized trucks to sub-comps) and their reputation.

I dont know if theres a Wayne Brent down at honda because the only time I go down there is to sell one of their used cars or flirt with the hot receptionist they have lol.

(...hope my wife doesn't read this lol)
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #131
Playmaker
 
cpayne5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,807
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna
I only sell new Toyotas and I sell used cars from both stores. I am not certified in hondas, only Toyotas. I chose Toyota because of all of the new products they're launching and the broader lineup of vehicles. (full sized trucks to sub-comps) and their reputation.

I dont know if theres a Wayne Brent down at honda because the only time I go down there is to sell one of their used cars or flirt with the hot receptionist they have lol.

(...hope my wife doesn't read this lol)
When did you start selling cars? I thought you were an accountant or something?
__________________
"It's not about what you've done, but what's been done for you."
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:31 AM   #132
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

nahh... I was in real estate for a while, but I saw the market slowing down a year ago and moved into cars. More hours, but it can be more rewarding.

I'm in the process of trying to get hired with Cisco Systems for a sales position (meaning I would have to move to Raleigh NC for a couple of years). I have a freind who does outside sales for them. 160 a year avg... and weekends off... paid travel... nice fat expense acct...

plus one of the best companies to work for in america Fortune 100!! Wish me luck!
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #133
Robert Griffin III
 
Monksdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Age: 33
Posts: 1,495
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

You can find 3 year old Acura's for example. The Cl type S has 255 horses. The S comes fully loaded, with leather, heated seats, bose surround, and lots of other jazz.

They arent difficult to find, they have great motors in them. And I got my 2003 with 17,000 miles on it for 18k.

Trust me, this car was worth every penny. And at that price, those features with 255 horses. Granted the extra features include sound reduction which effects the weight, and thus the performance, but who cares, it's hot.
__________________
Robert Griffin III
Monksdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:46 PM   #134
Eternally Legendary
 
saden1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle
Age: 34
Posts: 9,841
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthetuna
Actually the manufacturer gives us crumbs for surveys... at my dealership our ENTIRE bonus plan is tied directly to the surveys.

I had a customer one time that I went out of my way to get a car for and bring it in to my dealership (the only one in a 5 state region). I gave him a discounted price before I went and got the car and he signed a buyer's order. We don't want any suprises if we're taking the time to go get the car.

When he came in to pick it up he wanted further discounts... which I refused. We already had come to an agreement to which he had signed. It wouldn't be right for me to tell him I needed to charge him more money for the car, especially since he couldn't go anywhere else and get it because I had the only one... and it wasn't right for him to try that with me.

This prick filled out all POORS on my survey (after me giving him 2 free tanks of gas and paying to have his car re-detailed out of my own pocket)

That cost me 3000 dollars in bonuses 2 months after I sold him his car. If I ever see him in the street Im going to give him 3000 dollars worth of Dental Co-pays.

What I'm saying is... salespeople are people too. Some are snakes, but so are some shoppers, and dont just fuck with people for the sake of fucking with them.

Usually, if you're educated and just try to work out a fair deal a dealer will work with you.


side note:
Do not accept anything added on to a car automatically, though. Addendum stickers with "appearance packages" or "environmental packages" or anything like that is a scam.
I said "Know the cost of the car and what you are willing to pay for it. This part is tough because you don't want to low-ball the sales person to the point where they think you're taking them for a ride" didn't I? When dealing with people it is always a good to be fair otherwise you'll just seem like an asshole.

p.s. I wasn't aware $3000 was crumbs. I have heard of people making 13K from surveys.
__________________
"The Redskins have always suffered from chronic organizational deformities under Snyder."

-Jenkins
saden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #135
Assistant Regional Mod
 
EternalEnigma21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Warrenton VA
Age: 33
Posts: 2,953
Re: Sell Me A Car-What Should I Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saden1
p.s. I wasn't aware $3000 was crumbs. I have heard of people making 13K from surveys.
The 3k was not part of some manufacturer's incentive program for surveys... that was a typical part of my pay, from my dealership, that I was missing. Not extra money. Most professional salespeople count on bonuses as regular income to pay bills (at least the ones who are any good and work hard to hit them).

That wasn't like I just missed an "extra" 3000 dollars that month... I was 3k light. I made like 2500 dollars for working around 60-80 hours a week for a month. Bills did not get paid the month I had to take off a few days because I had a baby.

Sorry if I reacted harsh, but some customers just have it in their heads that salesmen are scumbags out to steal from them and no matter what you do you cannot please them and they can really kill your pocketbook with surveys.

If a salesman is a dick, take it to ém.. weed em out.. by all means.. but remember.. the salesman does NOT set the prices on the cars and they're the only ones to be affected by the surveys, so a survey should not be a bargaining chip for money off, because a sales manager doesn't care an iota about a survey score.
__________________
Need electrical work in the Northern VA, or Shenandoah Valley? Click here

...and why do we still have a Tom Tupa avatar???
EternalEnigma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site is not officially affiliated with the Washington Redskins or the NFL.
Page generated in 0.36189 seconds with 9 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0 RC5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25